PDA

View Full Version : Is a sleeping pad really necessary for summer camping?

PR Man
06-10-2012, 18:11
"Back in the day" - we never used sleeping pads, just groundcloth. Granted, I was much younger then - but I wonder whether or not the weight of a sleeping pad is really worth it in the summer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Double Wide
06-10-2012, 18:26
Never used one back in the day when I was in Scouts and such. Now I wouldn't consider using something. A Z-Rest is okay for a quick weekend, and it doesn't weigh much. But for a longer stretch, I have to have a 'real' pad.

Papa D
06-10-2012, 18:39
Define necessary - - can you sleep ok for a night in a pinch without a pad - maybe.

#1) The mountains get cold - even in the summer people get hypothermia - - anywhere on the AT in July, you can wake to a cold rain in the low 50s
#2) A sleeping pad in many ways contributes more to your warmth (by insulating you from the ground) than a sleeping bag - compressed beneath you does - this is why quilts work well too.
#3) You will notice that EVERY accomplished backpacker and outdoors-person carries a pad (albeit a light one or a 3/4, etc.).
#4) Sleeping on the ground for nights on end will hurt your back and make you much sorer than the "extra" weight of a light pad.

I'm going to pick on Double Wide a little here -- he is RIGHT to suggest you carry something but when anyone uses the term "Scouts" and "back in the day" in the same sentence when giving advice - - it's usually a safe bet that it's BAD advice.

yes, carry a pad.

Sarcasm the elf
06-10-2012, 18:44

sorry to Double Wide but when anyone uses the term "Scouts" and "back in the day" in the same sentence when giving advice - - it's usually a safe bet that it's BAD advice.

Carry a pad.

I thought they banned you from using the word "scouts" on this site :D:banana:banana

I agree though, bring a pad.

Double Wide
06-10-2012, 18:44
sorry to Double Wide but when anyone uses the term "Scouts" and "back in the day" in the same sentence when giving advice - - it's usually a safe bet that it's BAD advice.

Carry a pad.

Um, yeah, that's why I followed it up with that part about a pad being needed. :rolleyes:

hikerboy57
06-10-2012, 18:45
Back in the day i wore jeans.
Sleep at home on the floor for a week
Youll probably be back in bed bu day 5

Papa D
06-10-2012, 18:49
I thought they banned you from using the word "scouts" on this site :D:banana:banana

I agree though, bring a pad.

I re-read Double Wide's post - edited mine and will not say the S word again :o

Wise Old Owl
06-10-2012, 19:10
Get a hammock skip the pad.

leaftye
06-10-2012, 19:17
"Back in the day" - we never used sleeping pads, just groundcloth. Granted, I was much younger then - but I wonder whether or not the weight of a sleeping pad is really worth it in the summer?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You answered your own question.

coach lou
06-10-2012, 19:30
Way way back, after the military service, I returned to the old troop, as an Asst'*****master[the crazy one from the marines], I discovered this wonderful material, Closed cell foam. Oh my, I've been sleeping on a ground cloth all this time! Then ****packer/Wilderness camper Magazine had people sleeping on this wonderful new piece of gear, Made by a fine American company called Thermorest. "This is comfort, I thought!" Last October the new wife and I started backpacking again. Like the gentelman that I am, I gave her my thermorest and I used her closed cell foam......ouchie! So now I am going to skeem to upgrade to this new fangled Neo-air-jordan thing, and give her my 25 year old, perfectly servicable, thermorest. I come home from work one day in November and there is 2' long tube on the porch from UPS................brand spanking new 25 yr old thermorest, from ebay.............................................s omeday my son will get a phone call from the State Troopers, my withered remains were found behind a wall of unopened UPS packages.:o

Mags
06-10-2012, 21:15
Duplicate of thread in the Ultralighters forum....