PDA

View Full Version : July SOBO NY section hike

Corporal_Dusty
06-11-2012, 00:05
Hey all. I am in the middle of planning my first major AT section hike. My goal is to hike the NY section of the AT next month starting at the NY/CT border and stopping at the NJ border. I've backpacked small parts (a few miles here and there) of this section, but not the section as a whole shot yet. I plan on pacing myself and doing this as a 2ish week hike. I know I don't quite have trail legs for any 20+ mile days. The reason to go SOBO was so that the section from Fingerboard to Wildcat was at the end to give me time to build up to a 14 mile day instead of having it on day 2.
Does anyone here have some tips, tricks, absolute must see spots, favorite resupply spots, places to avoid etc...to throw my way? I've done so much searching on here and google I feel like my eyes are going to pop out of my head. I feel I'm quite prepared, however I'd like to put this out there to those with more experience than I just in case I missed something. I would rather be prepared (and even over prepared) than be under prepared and end up in trouble.
Thanks in advance! I've already learned so much from reading the posts here. You guys have some really great ideas and information. I've done many a backpacking trip, mainly a few days at a time, so I feel I have a good base of knowledge. I'm so glad I can expand on that knowledge by coming here for more info. I crave backpacking knowledge. It's like my own paradise to stop thinking about other things going on in my life.
Thanks again and happy hiking everyone!!

Joker4ink
06-21-2012, 00:39
I'm working on completing NY from the CT border, have 40 miles knocked out at the moment. The Wiley Shelter at the beginning is right near a road, making it a spot for non-hikers to come in and party and whatnot. I'd skip it if I had the option. Hurds Corner & the Nature Preserve area is a really nice spot. Stop for lunch in the Nature Preserve field if you can. Nice views, quiet, peaceful. Skip the RPH shelter...another shelter right next to the road, interesting people that show up. Shenandoah Tenting Area is nice and just 1.3 miles past RPH. Plenty of area to tent, fire ring and a well pump right there. Also, right before Dennytown Road is a nice little waterfall area. Great spot for pictures or soaking your feet. I hope this helps.

FarmerChef
06-21-2012, 14:50
I just finished all but the section from NY55 to the CT border last week with my kids and wife. Here's what I can recall:

The southern section of NY is much harder than the northern section. You can still make decent miles per day (we were up near 20) but the topo map makes it look much flatter than it really is. Plus you'll do a lot of rock work. The northern section is not quite as "hilly" and the treadway is much nicer. You can really cruise there.

Since I didn't stop at every shelter I can't comment on them all but I can comment on the places we did stay (North to South):

RPH Shelter - the shelter has a well pump but it comes up red and should be filtered. There is no fire ring and it is right next to the road. Had I known then what I know now, I would have stayed at Shenandoah Tenting Area for the reasons Joker4ink points out above.

Graymoor Spiritual Life Center - The monastery lets you sleep on the ball field and provides a covered pavilion with picnic tables, benches, pack hooks, electricity, a wash tub, cold shower and bathroom (porta johns). Plus you can order up pizza/deli OR if you feel like a short walk you can continue southbound about a mile to the road and there is an awesome Sunoco station with the best mini mart I have ever seen from a food perspective.

Wildcat Shelter - Bugs will be a problem here as it's pretty marshy when you come up to the shelter. The spring is good - look for it on the left as you approach the shelter and leave the last of the marshy part. You'll need a bowl to scoop or a pump but the water is clear and good. The shelter itself is ok but small. There's a fire ring in the front and a bear box down near the tenting area. There is LOTS of tenting and a decent privy.

Sorry I can't comment more on the other shelters. Best of luck!

Cookerhiker
06-21-2012, 15:52
...The southern section of NY is much harder than the northern section. You can still make decent miles per day (we were up near 20) but the topo map makes it look much flatter than it really is. Plus you'll do a lot of rock work. The northern section is not quite as "hilly" and the treadway is much nicer. You can really cruise there...

Strong +1 on this. The trail west of the Hudson is quite difficult with lots of steep ups and downs.

trainhopper
06-22-2012, 23:42
Agreed the first part of you hike will be easier. I really enjoyed the section from the railroad station which I believe is Pawling to the Bear Mt. bridge. RPH shelter is close to the road but it is very nice if you get lucky and is empty when you get there. It is almost completely enclosed and has bunk style beds you can put your pad and sleeping bag on. I also highly recommend staying at Graymoor pavilion. When I did this section in June we met a ton of thru hikers who pitched tents in the field and was a really great experience. If you don't mind a little extra weight this would be a great place to bring a frisbee or some kind of ball to toss in the large field.

After you cross the Bear Mt. bridge there is a zoo if your into that. Shortly after you will enter Harriman State park. I personally think the hiking in Harriman State park is boring because everything looks the same. However, there are alot of public areas in the park (should be on 7 lakes drive) that you can swim. Since it is the summer it will be crawling with people from NYC looking to get away. There are alot of public car camping spots so if you meet the right people you might be able to get some food and beer. One must in this section from a local's experience is the creamery when the trail intersects with 17A. When you come to the road make a right and walk no more than a 1/4 mile. They have great ice cream and the best milk shakes. They use fresh milk from a locally owned farm so it amazing. If you have any other questions PM me I don't live very far from this part of the trail.

Cookerhiker
06-23-2012, 07:43
All of the above advice and tips are sound. One thing I'd add is the top of Black Mountain in Harriman Park (about 6 miles beyond Bear Mountain) is where I could see the NYC skyline. I was fortunate to hike it on a cool day in late summer with good visibility which is unlikely in the humidity of July but you never know.

nyrslr21
06-24-2012, 09:41
My main advice would be don't carry a lot of food. This section gets the nickname "the deli run" sometimes because there's a deli less than a mile from the trail just about every day. First one is right before the AT train station, make a left as you cross NY 22/55 and it's less than a half mile away. Lately there's been a guy selling amazing pizza right where you cross the road too. That would be a few miles after Wiley and before Telephone Pioneers shelter. Between Morgan Stewart and RPH shelter there's a deli, pizza place and fruit/veggie place if you make a left at NY 52 (pretty sure that's the road). RPH shelter usually has the menus for an italian place in the area that will deliver pizza, pasta, soda, etc right to the shelter. RPH to Graymoor is 20 miles, but it's not that hard a day. You can also have pizza delivered to Graymoor, or get a cab into town. There's the deli on 9D coming out of Graymoor before the Bear Mt bridge, then a concession stand with burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, etc before you ascend Bear Mt. I suggest the 0.6 mi trip to the West Mt shelter on a clear day, you can see the NYC skyline. Before Wildcat shelter there's a deli about a half mile if you make a right at West Mobasha Rd. Then after the shelter there's the Bellvale Creamery someone else mentioned as you cross 17A.

rich5665
06-26-2012, 09:42
My main advice would be don't carry a lot of food. This section gets the nickname "the deli run" sometimes because there's a deli less than a mile from the trail just about every day. First one is right before the AT train station, make a left as you cross NY 22/55 and it's less than a half mile away. Lately there's been a guy selling amazing pizza right where you cross the road too. That would be a few miles after Wiley and before Telephone Pioneers shelter. Between Morgan Stewart and RPH shelter there's a deli, pizza place and fruit/veggie place if you make a left at NY 52 (pretty sure that's the road). RPH shelter usually has the menus for an italian place in the area that will deliver pizza, pasta, soda, etc right to the shelter. RPH to Graymoor is 20 miles, but it's not that hard a day. You can also have pizza delivered to Graymoor, or get a cab into town. There's the deli on 9D coming out of Graymoor before the Bear Mt bridge, then a concession stand with burgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese, etc before you ascend Bear Mt. I suggest the 0.6 mi trip to the West Mt shelter on a clear day, you can see the NYC skyline. Before Wildcat shelter there's a deli about a half mile if you make a right at West Mobasha Rd. Then after the shelter there's the Bellvale Creamery someone else mentioned as you cross 17A.

Now that you made me hungry :) I'm planning to do this same hike in spring or fall of 2013 it's good to know that there's so many places to stop for food.

Kathleen Demers
06-26-2012, 10:19
Very nice!http://www.50centloseweight.com