PDA

View Full Version : Hanging in Ga. in Oct.

mmorgan
06-11-2012, 14:08
I plan on making my first trip using a hammock in place of my tent. Leaving Neels Gap and going to the NC line in mid October. Can I get by with a pad or should I go with in under quilt that time of year?

kayak karl
06-11-2012, 14:47
using a walmart closed cell pad i can get down to 32, but that's me. i can get all of my quilts +10 degrees below their rating. i don't know what the temps are there that time of year, but georgia weather is strange. january 5 degrees at night and 55 the next day????:)

chip2012
06-11-2012, 15:10
I've used a pad in October in ga and was really not very comfortable, and the next week went back to a tent. If I had known about UQ's then I dang sure would have taken it.

mmorgan
06-11-2012, 15:42
Agreed weather can really change that time of year, but I'm thinking about my 1/4 inch gossamer gear pad and my 15 degree bag and should be warm enough. I want to give this hammock it's due and than determine if I should shelf the tent

coldstealie
06-12-2012, 12:59
I go up hiking every weekend on the AT, I have been using a 20F underquilt. Even last weekend it got pretty chilly at night and it's June. You could probably get by with a pad, I suggest walmart blue pad. It's what I use in the temps below 20 for an extra boost of warmth and it works!

BobTheBuilder
06-12-2012, 13:03
My advice is to go with the underquilt. My first section of hammocking after years of tenting was miserable because I brought just a pad for insulation. I brought the underquilt the next time and loved it.

coldstealie
06-12-2012, 13:15
I wouldn't use just a pad as my main insulation, just something extra for those cooler nights.

kayak karl
06-12-2012, 13:51
I wouldn't use just a pad as my main insulation, just something extra for those cooler nights.
what would you use for your main hammock insulation? i can't see carrying two?

coldstealie
06-12-2012, 18:31
what would you use for your main hammock insulation? i can't see carrying two?

I just wouldnt use one for comfort reasons that's all. I use a 20 degree underquilt year round. I've had it down to 6 degrees. That's when my blue pad came handy!

islandman
06-22-2012, 16:57
I would go with the UQ. You can always loosen the suspension, letting a little more air movement, if it becomes too warm. I also believe, IMHO, that the pad takes away a little of the comfort we all love so much about our hammocks, where as the UQ doesn't. Mileage may differ. ;)

Maddog
06-22-2012, 17:24
I would go with the UQ. You can always loosen the suspension, letting a little more air movement, if it becomes too warm. I also believe, IMHO, that the pad takes away a little of the comfort we all love so much about our hammocks, where as the UQ doesn't. Mileage may differ. ;)
+1 One of the smartest decisions I've made was purchasing an underquilt! I kicked myself for waiting so long to pull the trigger! Maddog:)

gatc-blazer
06-29-2012, 09:44
I Velcroed an emergency/space blanket (reflective side up) to my CCF pad – Kept me cozy thru 20F nights.

Vader
07-02-2012, 20:03
Are you looking for a hiking partner?

Hairbear
07-02-2012, 20:10
what is a good u/q for hennesy survivor