PDA

View Full Version : Overnight hike in NY/NJ

skiman0o
06-11-2012, 14:54
Looking for a moderate/strenuous overnight (2 days, 1 night) hike in NY/NJ/PA, probably 15-30 miles. I'm located in central NJ, Mercer County, and would like to find a hike with some decent elevation changes and overall challenge. I've hiked around Mt. Tamanny/Water Gap before, so I'd prefer to try something a bit different. I'm thinking somewhere in the Harriman & Bear Mtn parks in NY? A loop would be preferred.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm relatively new to NJ and am still trying to find strong, accessible hikes in the area.

Thanks!!!
Will

q-tip
06-11-2012, 15:23
If you are up to off-AT trails, I hiked the West Rim Trail in PA-30 mi--easy and beautiful. Just a Thought

skiman0o
06-11-2012, 16:38
Thanks for the suggestion, Q Tip. The PA Grand Canyon would be a great place and I've heard good things, but it's a bit too far for a weekend. Looking for >2hr car ride each way.

Thanks again.

skiman0o
06-11-2012, 16:39
..... <2hr

Cookerhiker
06-11-2012, 16:59
Since you're craving some up-and-down strenuous hiking, you want to hike somewhere between Rt. 17A outside Greenwood Lake and Bear Mountain which apparently you've already thought of. Most of the loop possibilities are within Harriman (north of Rt. 17) but I believe camping is restricted to the shelter areas.

You may want to consider obtaining a shuttle and hiking 2 days from 17A to Bear Mountain. The shuttle and parking at Bear Mountain will co$t you but you'll be getting the hike you want.

nehiker
06-11-2012, 17:50
Since you're craving some up-and-down strenuous hiking, you want to hike somewhere between Rt. 17A outside Greenwood Lake and Bear Mountain which apparently you've already thought of. Most of the loop possibilities are within Harriman (north of Rt. 17) but I believe camping is restricted to the shelter areas.

You may want to consider obtaining a shuttle and hiking 2 days from 17A to Bear Mountain. The shuttle and parking at Bear Mountain will co$t you but you'll be getting the hike you want.

There is no need for a shuttle to do this. NJ Transit runs buses from NYC to the AT crossing of Route 17A (frequently in the peak direction, e.g. on Friday night, every 2 hours otherwise). Coach USA Shortline buses from NYC to Harriman will stop at Arden Valley Road on Route 17 on request. Shortline also runs from NYC to Bear Mountain (via Suffern, where you might catch a train to Secacaus Junction).

rocketsocks
06-11-2012, 17:53
Looking for a moderate/strenuous overnight (2 days, 1 night) hike in NY/NJ/PA, probably 15-30 miles. I'm located in central NJ, Mercer County, and would like to find a hike with some decent elevation changes and overall challenge. I've hiked around Mt. Tamanny/Water Gap before, so I'd prefer to try something a bit different. I'm thinking somewhere in the Harriman & Bear Mtn parks in NY? A loop would be preferred.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm relatively new to NJ and am still trying to find strong, accessible hikes in the area.

Thanks!!!
WillCheck out,Sourland Mt.just outside Princeton,for some good day hiking in the area.No camping allowed,just hiking,bouldering,mt.biking,and the highest elevation gain of about 250 to 300 feet above parking lot.cheers

dmperkins74
06-12-2012, 06:12
I hiked Arden Valley Rd (Elk Pen parking area) south to NJ 94 last year (hike 42 on my map (http://www.gdbdp.com/at)) and it kicked my ass. Granted, I've only done a couple of overnights and it was crazy hot and I could be in better shape, but it was beautiful and rewarding. There's an ice cream joint right down the road (like 200 yards) from the trail later on in that section there that I unfortunately got to before it opened, but I've heard good things. Had a great view and was a nice place to take a break even if I didn't get ice cream :)

hikerboy57
06-12-2012, 06:26
you could section the long path through minnewaska st park to the catskills(it also runs thru harriman). the gunks are beautiful, all white cliffs and pitch pine and the path has some great scrambles, the views are amazing. you cant camp in minnewaska itself, but there are numerous sites to tent before and after.

Cookerhiker
06-12-2012, 08:28

There is no need for a shuttle to do this. NJ Transit runs buses from NYC to the AT crossing of Route 17A (frequently in the peak direction, e.g. on Friday night, every 2 hours otherwise). Coach USA Shortline buses from NYC to Harriman will stop at Arden Valley Road on Route 17 on request. Shortline also runs from NYC to Bear Mountain (via Suffern, where you might catch a train to Secacaus Junction).

That would work if he leaves his car at one end and takes buses to his starting point, all via NYC. Or he could do the opposite and take buses back to his car. It would depend on the timing of the bus schedules; I thought his timeframe was pretty tight with only 2 days to hike 32 tough miles.