PDA

View Full Version : winter hiking

spanky4x4
06-11-2012, 15:33
are there any specific areas here for winter hiking info? I got alot off backpacking lite, but i come here for info just as much.
This spring I hiked from Harpers Ferry to rt 211 in shanendoa nat park. i would like to start ther and go a little further south sometime in jan or feb of 2013. pretty sure i have got what i need and know what to expect, but would be nice to see info from folks with a little more experiance.
thanks

kayak karl
06-11-2012, 15:54
something for ice. these (http://www.icespike.net/) have been fine the last 2 years.
good gloves, extra pair socks, drink a lot of water and EAT.

1azarus
06-11-2012, 16:35
the hardest thing to do is plan mileage. if you only hike during daylight hours you just can't get that far. i suggest you plan on hiking before and/or after dark. if there is significant snow on the ground and you need snow shoes it'll slow you down to darn close to 1 mile an hour. microspikes make ice more or less a non-issue for walking speed. i guess my best advice would be to plan the amount of time you are hiking and try to be flexible with the distance. and bring a book. (i read books on my droid... and bring an extra battery)

Tom Murphy
06-11-2012, 16:47
winterrekking.com
wintercampers.com

Del Q
06-11-2012, 19:07
Kayak Karl, right as rain, have been out in the cold-cold, did NOT eat enough, rookie mistake!

Especially before going to bed.

kayak karl
06-11-2012, 19:46
that was 3 years ago. better at it now LOL. it is hard to get those calories in ya.

Snowleopard
06-11-2012, 20:31
Another good source for winter info is the AMC/ADK winter mountaineering course. This course has a very good reputation. The student handbook and gear lists are excellent:
http://www.winterschool.org/studentcenter.html
BUT, this and tom murphy's links are for conditions appreciably colder than it will normally get in the southern mountains.

The Boston AMC chapter has a good course on winter hiking for people near enough to Boston. One thing they teach is that whenever you pause, eat and drink. It's very easy to get dehydrated in the cold because the air is so dry and that's especially bad in the cold.

Del Q
06-11-2012, 20:35
For something so simple this backpacking "thing" has a lot to it.........and at the same time simple, hydrate!!! and eat.

Then we have the weight issue, more food = more weight.

Can't they invent like 1000 calorie dehyrdated single serving Spam?

ChinMusic
06-11-2012, 20:39
Kayak Karl, right as rain, have been out in the cold-cold, did NOT eat enough, rookie mistake!

Especially before going to bed.

+2

I usu sleep warm. One winter night I just didn't fell like eating. It seemed SOOOOooooo COLD.

Feral Bill
06-11-2012, 23:52
if there is significant snow on the ground and you need snow shoes it'll slow you down to darn close to 1 mile an hour.
That's if you are lucky. On a long ascent, in deep, fresh, wet snow, you can end up doing half that, or less. A group of three or more to break trail helps a lot.

kayak karl
06-11-2012, 23:57
postholing buddy does help. when going up hill its easy to slip and lose ground quickly. even in just 4-6" the constant checking of rock with poles slows you down.

Bati
06-12-2012, 08:05
That's if you are lucky. On a long ascent, in deep, fresh, wet snow, you can end up doing half that, or less. A group of three or more to break trail helps a lot.

My record low for hiking from sun-up to sundown in Georgia was 4 miles. It was not the hardest day I had by any means.

When the snow gets a small crust of ice, your weight will determine how long it takes before you fall through. If you're almost matched but still fall through on most steps, that's the worst (aside from slick solid ice).

I recall one spot in NC where the trail took a nasty turn. I made it through fine, but the next day, two hikers (out of 4 or 6 total) broke arms when they fell there.

Snow is beautiful, but be prepared for low-mileage days if you have any significant quantity and an occasional sketchy spot on the Southern AT. Make sure you're in shape before you start, and that you know how to use a map and compass (don't count on a GPS battery lasting in the cold).

Snowleopard
06-12-2012, 09:05
"are there any specific areas here for winter hiking info?" Actually, there is. It's TipiWalter's trip reports, an excellent resource. It's definitely possible to do winter trips lighter than TipiWalter, especially if you're willing to bail out in bad conditions and not set out when the forecast is bad.

Lyle
06-12-2012, 11:13
One quick and easy way to add calories to your meals is to add a spoonful or two of olive oil, butter or margarine to every pot of food. Also, when buying tuna, seek out "packed in oil" products. These tips will add a lot of calories, without adding a lot of bulk - important in winter.

spanky4x4
06-12-2012, 12:57
Thanks. All this is inline with other info.

I seem to lose my appetite when hiking so the advice to eat is good.

Do people carry snowshoes or just posthole and go slow? I would hatr to carry something like that and only use them a couple times.

The links and advice are much appreciated. Thanks.

Feral Bill
06-12-2012, 15:48
Thanks. All this is inline with other info.

I seem to lose my appetite when hiking so the advice to eat is good.

Do people carry snowshoes or just posthole and go slow? I would hatr to carry something like that and only use them a couple times.

The links and advice are much appreciated. Thanks. By the time of your trip, you should have some idea of how the winter is going. If there is deep snowpack at that time do take snowshoes. If not, make your best guess. And do eat well, it will keep you warm, as well as fuel your travel.

bushcraft
06-12-2012, 17:24
Virginia and Pennsylvania are beautiful winter hikes.

Remember to dress in layers. Drink lots of fluids (yes you can dehydrate in winter). Extra pair of clothes, multiple fire options, etc.

Keep batteries warm by keeping them close to you, even sleeping with them if you must.

1azarus
06-12-2012, 17:44
Winter with snow cover is THE time to hike pennsylvania. Open views no crowds smooth walking!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

fiddlehead
06-12-2012, 20:32
I once did a SOBO hike in the winter and had no more than 2" of snow at any time. (2001/2002)
Of course every year is different.
Here's a picture of PA a year and half ago in December however (this snow melted in 2 days though)16273