PDA

View Full Version : Lady on Gatlinburg Trail Attacked! Police sketch of suspect inside...

Sonno
06-11-2012, 17:20
I just read this on Great Smoky Mountains Association's facebook page...
http://www.facebook.com/#!/GreatSmokyMountainsAssociation

Forgive this difficult info. An attack happened Friday that I haven't posted about. But now there's a sketch, so maybe a crime can be solved if enough people see this image. Please SHARE it. Our fans can reach 33 million people on FB. A lady was hurt very badly by this fellow on the Gatlinburg Trail and there's a $5,000 reward.

Investigation Continues in Assault Case - Reward Offered

GATLINBURG – On June 8, at 2:43 pm, a 44 year-old female was sexually assaulted on the Gatlinburg Trail. The victim received multiple stab wounds to the neck, shoulder and hand. She made her way to the Gatlinburg Bypass where she flagged down a passing motorist for assistance. The victim was taken by helicopter to the University of Tennessee Medical Center where she was treated for her injuries. The victim was released from the hospital last night.

National Park Service Special Agents continued to investigate the case over the weekend and have worked with the victim and a forensic artist to create the sketch of the suspect attached to this release. The suspect is described as a white male of thin build, in his 40s, 5’9” – 5’10” tall, dirty-blonde hair, with a crew cut and thin mustache. He was wearing glasses, black dress pants and a gray t-shirt at the time of the attack. He has multiple tattoos, including on his shoulders and an unknown word across his abdomen.

A reward in the amount of $5,000 has been established for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect. Persons having seen this individual or having any knowledge of the crime should contact a special tip line at: 865/436-1580.

Chief Ranger Clay Jordan said today, “We stand committed to bringing this assailant to justice. Working together with the assistance of the public, I am optimistic that we can solve this case.” Jordan said that although this still appears to be an isolated incident, ranger patrols in the area have been increased.

Cookerhiker
06-11-2012, 17:23
The AT is along the ridge. Sounds like this trail where the crime occurred is closer to Gatlinburg.

Sonno
06-11-2012, 17:26
Yeah, I know. I figured it wouldn't hurt much to repost this here. Maybe someone was in the area and saw something.

Buffalo Skipper
06-11-2012, 17:36
My son and I hiked the Gatlinburg Trail several years ago. It runs from Sugarlands Visitor Center parallel to the road (maybe one or two hundred yards west) and lets out right at the edge of Gatlinburg, directly behind one of the outfitters. As secluded as the trail feels, you are never really far from the road.

I hope she is all right, and that they catch the perpetrator quickly.

Veetack
06-11-2012, 17:59
I work in the hospital she was treated at. While I have no specific information on her, nor could I give it out if I did, I will say that we are pretty much the best level 1 trauma center in the area. I can say with every confidence that she was treated by expert hands.

Driver8
06-11-2012, 21:47
Seems like an awfully small reward for such a vicious attack. Hope the perp is hauled in asap.

mtnkngxt
06-12-2012, 10:57
Why is a reward even necessary? Seems to me that if you knew the perp, you would turn them in out of respect for the victim not the money.

rocketsocks
06-12-2012, 11:51
Why is a reward even necessary? Seems to me that if you knew the perp, you would turn them in out of respect for the victim not the money.I agree,and would think any monies would be then given to a shelter for battered women,or some other organization.I can't imagine someone actually keeping the money for themselves,at all.Hope they catch this scum bag,unfortunately,this may not be his first time,and if it is,then it may not be his last,all hikers in that area need to remain vigilant,and report any strange activity,however useless or small they may think it is,often it is these small details that break cases.jm2c

Driver8
06-12-2012, 12:12
Why is a reward even necessary? Seems to me that if you knew the perp, you would turn them in out of respect for the victim not the money.

The idea is that if someone knows the perp and is afraid to turn him in, the money might coax some courage into them. Worth it to get such a dangerous violent sort behind bars, but I agree in principle it shouldn't be necessary.

Majortrauma
06-12-2012, 12:39

How true mtnkngxt.

vamelungeon
06-12-2012, 13:06

For most people, yes. People tend to associate with others that are like them, and that includes criminals. There isn't much honor or loyalty amongst them since most criminals are egocentric and will sell out anyone for the right price. That reward would buy a truckload of meth or xanax or let them go on a spending spree in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg (we call it hillbilly Vegas around here).

Minnitonka
06-12-2012, 13:58
That is good to know thanks. I hope someone recognizes the sketch and the perpetrator is brought to justice!

SawnieRobertson
06-13-2012, 13:41
Just think . . . 2:43 PM. That is the equivalent of broad daylight (except for the tree cover). Multiple injuries, so close to "civilization," daylight hours . . . This person must have been on something that really takes away any kind of judgment and/or is insane. Yes, and I believe that on the trail or just quite near the trail, violent crime should be brought to our attention. This may be in federal jurisdiction. Ha-ha if it is.--Kinnickinic

ATMountainTime
06-13-2012, 13:46
hope she is ok. but i also hope that some trail "angels" duct tape him to a tree covered in honey. We hikers need to stick together and preserve our place in the world, and not tolerate this sort of thing.