PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardwear Down Flip 35/50 Degree Sleeping Bag - Thoughts?

Pumba
06-11-2012, 18:30
I've discovered/remembered that mummy bags just don't agree with me. I don't care to be too confined when sleeping. I've been looking at different options, and I found the Mountain Hardware Down Flip 35/50 bag. Does anyone have experience with this bag? For now, I'm just looking for a bag suitable for summer, early fall and late spring.

Here is a link to it from Campmor: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47381REG

leaftye
06-11-2012, 18:49
Why not get a quilt? A wide 40° quilt for a 6' tall person from EnLIGHTened Equipment weighs half as much, costs less, packs smaller, and is suitable to a wider range of temperatures. Obviously it works better in colder temperatures. Both can be opened like a blanket. The quilt stands out because the baffle system allows you to shift down from anywhere in the quilt to anywhere else in the quilt. So let's say you're already using it like a blanket and it's still too hot. In this quilt you can shift the down to an edge so that the part of the quilt over you has less insulation.

More lightness
More savings
More pack space
More comfort in cold temperatures
More comfort in warm temperatures

Plus it's made in America. The only downside I can think of is that you have to wait for it to get made.

Pumba
06-12-2012, 21:09
Why not get a quilt?

Never considered one because I'm not really familiar with them. After looking at the EnLIGHTened site, I suppose there is no reason to not seriously consider one. Thanks.