PDA

View Full Version : re-thinking Colorado Trail this year

Papa D
06-11-2012, 19:51
So I'm planning on a 3 1/2 week thru hike of the CT this year starting July 7 - - that's the time I have - I'm in good trail shape and can do 150 miles per week BUT there are serious wildfires in section 12 and serious drought in early sections - - I need to make my airline reservations this week for somewhere! - - should I go for it and fight fires and drought or continue my quest to finish the AT for a second time. An alternate idea would be to go from Rutland VT to somewhere in Maine - - if I really booked it, I might make it to BSP - - this would complete the AT for me for a second time except for NY,NJ,PA and a little bit of VA. thoughts? I could hike the CT next year.:confused:

Mags
06-11-2012, 22:49
Just as an FYI, there are no wildfires on the CT this year. The section 12 issues are blow downs. ( Alas, there ARE wildfires in Colorado this summer . :( )

schnikel
06-12-2012, 21:40
The snow is low in the Serrias this year. 3 1/2 weeks would be plenty of time to hike the JMT. Just a thought.
Schnikel

rocketsocks
06-12-2012, 23:07
Just as an FYI, there are no wildfires on the CT this year. The section 12 issues are blow downs. ( Alas, there ARE wildfires in Colorado this summer . :( )Same potential here in the N.East as well,lots of fuel on the ground left over from last years Halloween Ice storms (broken limbs,and down trees),and late summer Hurricane Irene left many blowdowns.

Papa D
06-13-2012, 21:19
Just as an FYI, there are no wildfires on the CT this year. The section 12 issues are blow downs. ( Alas, there ARE wildfires in Colorado this summer . :( )

Ok - I'm going to go ahead and book my flight tomorrow for DIA - I ran 22 miles today in 3.5 hours. For a 45 yo, I can hump it fast - I'm just making sure I'm not doing anything stupid - SO, MAGS, you say GO, right?

Mags
06-14-2012, 01:11
Ok - I'm going to go ahead and book my flight tomorrow for DIA - I ran 22 miles today in 3.5 hours. For a 45 yo, I can hump it fast - I'm just making sure I'm not doing anything stupid - SO, MAGS, you say GO, right?

I would. Just be aware of the detour in Sgmt 12. Alt routes and maps are avail (see the stick the CT forum)