PDA

View Full Version : Pre-hike visit to Walasi-Yi??

Tabasco
04-14-2005, 16:10
I just did a 50 mile section from Springer to Unicoi Gap during my kids' Spring Break week. The thought occurred to me: Why don't people get their traditional "Walasi-Yi Pack shakedown" BEFORE they start at Springer? That way, they can avoid carrying excess weight for the first 30 miles. Just a thought...

A-Train
04-14-2005, 16:51
Cause its more interesting/exciting/fun to touch off Springer for the first time with the realization that you are really headed for Katahdin. I refused to see Springer or K before the big dance, so to speak.

Also getting down to middle of nowhere Georgia isn't exactly convenient for a lot of folks. Though your point is well taken. The completion rate would be quite a bit higher if everyone had the luxury to test out there stuff on the real trail, not just in their neighborhood park.

SGT Rock
04-14-2005, 17:04
I also think some people aren't ready to give up some of their stuff until they have sweat it a little on the trail and some of their notions of needs have changed.

Rain Man
04-14-2005, 18:39
I agree with SGT Rock's analysis. Some (most? ALL?) folks are somewhat hard-headed. Easy to tell them to ditch this or that cherished piece of gear or supplies. Not so easy to listen to, until they've hauled it over a few too many PUDS in north Georgia.

Rain:sunMan

orangebug
04-14-2005, 22:25
I suspect it takes the PUDS to convince some of us that Walasi-Yi is more than just a retailer.

Doctari
04-15-2005, 06:04
I didn't even ditch that much at the Yi. Maybe 1 lb at a rd crossing before Neel's gap, and about 1/2 to 1 Lb at the Yi. I ended that secion hike at Dick's Creek gap, still carrying around 55 Lbs, AND still felt I needed most of it!! Even tho I hadn't used most of the clothing & probably 1/4 of the "needed" gear :o and that was after a 2 night "shake down hike", in fact I think I added gear AFTER the shake down hike, go figure :-?

Even after all the miles I have put on section hiking & other non AT hikes, It still takes effort of will to not add anything to my pack, usually with the thought: "Oh, it only weighs a few Oz, and I might need it. Maybe. Possibly. Besides I like it/it looks neat."

Doctari.

The Solemates
04-15-2005, 09:00
We never gave up anything on our entire thru-hike with the exception of switching out gear for warmer temps. Come to think of it, we only spent about an hour eating lunch at the Walasi-Yi before moving back out.

SGT Rock
04-15-2005, 09:40
Some of us (myself included) have been doing the shakedown to ourselves over a few years. I venture to say that if I had gone by there in 1997 they would have sent about 40-50 pounds home and re-outfitted me with a bunch of stuff. It took me probably about 4-5 years to do what one trip to Walasi-Yi could have accomplished.

Tabasco
04-15-2005, 09:58
I have two major purchases left. I need a new lighter weight pack. I currently have an Arc Teryx Bora 95 (I know, too heavy, etc. Long story) and a new shelter, as I have a North Face Talus 23 (It was free)

At Walasi-Yi, even with a pack that weighs 7 lb 12 oz EMPTY, and a 6 lb 13 oz tent, my total weight with 4 days food and 2 liters water was only 41 lbs.

I am looking at an Osprey Aether 60 or a ULA P-2, and an MSR Hubba Hubba.