PDA

View Full Version : Short hike near Greeneville, TN for 3.5 year-old?

TXCiclista
06-12-2012, 11:56
I'm headed "back home" to see my parents in TN. While there, I'd like to take my son up to the AT for a short hike (it can be one-way with a pickup, a loop, or just retracing back to the trailhead). My parents live in Chuckey, TN (near Greeneville) and I'd like to find a spot that's within an hour drive. I was thinking a section near where the AT crosses Asheville Highway at the border, but I don't know the area well enough to know what I'm getting into (grew up in Hendersonville, NC, so I know the GSM area better). The direction we drive from Chuckey doesn't matter, so feel free to make a range of suggestions. The limiting criteria would be a hike that's not more than about a mile, and a fairly easy grade. I'm doing this more to introduce my son to the AT, rather than initiate him, hence the short distance. ;) I'm happy to drive a little bit farther if there's a spot that might be considered "touristy" but that would have fun stuff for him to learn about as well.

We're actually going as a family, so anywhere we could make a day out of it (nearby shops, restaurants, etc) would be great, but certainly not required.

Tennessee Viking
06-12-2012, 13:54
AT wise: There is not a whole lot of opportunities near Chuckey that are easy or with short distance hikes. A lot of that area is rugged and steep.

Probably Beauty Spot on Unaka Mtn Road above Erwin. Or even Roan Mtn.

The closest viewpoint for the AT would be Jones Meadows on top of Camp Creek. Open views at the top. TN 70 toward the stateline. Turn up Upper Paint Creek Road/Viking Mountain Road. Stay on the main road; it will turn into gravel. Travel to the top of the mountain. The AT is located on a blue blaze from the lower parking area. You hike to the exposed rock trail in just a mile or so. Also stop by Hemlock Hollow Cabins for a meal.

If you want easier hikes in that area. Try Margarette Falls from the Shelton Mission Road trailhead. Or Sill Branch Falls in the old Clarks Creeks Road Rec area.

There are Horse Creek, Old Forge, and Paint Creek Corridor Rec Areas just for picnicking.

TXCiclista
06-13-2012, 01:12
Great! Thanks.

Tennessee Viking
06-13-2012, 08:45
Starting at the very end of June and going through most of the summer, the Baa-Tany goat project will be roaming on Jane Bald on Roan Mountain. That will probably be interesting.