PDA

View Full Version : A.T. hostels that are now closed. Why?

The Kisco Kid
06-12-2012, 16:06
Over the years a few of the hostels I have stayed at on my hikes have closed, whether due to changing times or changing hiker attitudes, it seems like a lot of good places are gone.

A few that come to mind:

Rainbow Springs campground
Graymoor Monastery (actually staying in the rooms)
Manchester Center church hostel
Dartmouth - Stayed at the Foley House a few times. Seems like student housing options are now off-limits to hikers

What other hostels do you remember staying at that are now history?

Lone Wolf
06-12-2012, 19:32
most are closed due to alcohol/drug consumption, lack of respect and not donating $$

fiddlehead
06-12-2012, 20:21
What other hostels do you remember staying at that are now history?

The church hostel on the hill above Hot Springs (closed due to partying I believe)
Waynesboro PA fire house (don't know why they stopped)
Rustys (apparently he sold the place???)

I believe Rainbow Spring Campground is not available because it was sold and is not even a campground anymore
Graymoor, I think all the monks got too old and no new blood there. (although partying also had something to do with the decision)
Manchester ( I thought it was because of some hikers having sex in the church???)

One thing is constant: Change! (who said that first?) (some Greek philosopher I believe)

There are a few I believe who are thinking about closing.
Seems to me that the ones who do it for free get abused and stop the charity. The ones who do it for money, are trying to stay open but fighting a losing battle as there are perhaps too many losers out there who don't pay.

Sarcasm the elf
06-12-2012, 20:59
The story I heard is that Greymoor monastery scaled back it's services to hikers because they had limited resources and made a decision to help the genuinely needy first. If that is really what happened, then i think they made the right choice.

Lone Wolf
06-12-2012, 21:02
The story I heard is that Greymoor monastery scaled back it's services to hikers because they had limited resources and made a decision to help the genuinely needy first. If that is really what happened, then i think they made the right choice.

actually the numbers of hikers on a daily basis overwhelmed them.

WIAPilot
06-12-2012, 21:36

I believe that Greymoor monastery is available (if there is room) for $75 per day - which includes 3 meals. I am definitely going to try and stay there for a day or two and maybe volunteer a little while I am there.

Bati
06-12-2012, 21:40
Regardless of whether it was sold or not, Rainblow KaChings managed to annoy many hikers. They refused to accept mail drops though they were listed as accepting them. I had a friend send brownies to me there and he did not call ahead. They were returned to him a month later- I was not told about the package which was there when I was there.
In addition, they spread rumours about how bad the drifts were. While technically true, (" There's drifts there still over 7 feet"), there was a clear path around everything with no more than an inch or two of snow on it. But it was a ploy to get hikers to stay at the campground longer and spend more money. Instead, it ended up with hikers telling everyone to avoid the campground.
I remember wanting to take an off day there, as I hadn't one and needed one, but the attitude of the owner and the impending end of my partner's vacation made us decide to push on after a short stop.

So sometimes hikers misbehave, but in this case, I think the place got the reputation which gave them fewer hikers and may have started a downward spiral.

SassyWindsor
06-12-2012, 21:42
The attitude of a good many hikers I bothered to get to know was: 1. I'll never be coming back through here again, so what the heck. 2. I've spent way too much on beer, pizza and ayce's, so the hostels will have to be the ones to get stiffed. This includes 10 hikers with dogs in one motel room. 3. Some even thought they were some kind of great explorer and the general public should be grateful to them and give them food, drink and other stuff. Along with these attitudes come disrespect for the outdoors, the towns, and people along the way who try to be nice and treat hikers with basic decency.
What they are doing is giving everyone coming up the trail behind them, even in years to come, a worst rap than they should be getting. This hurts the entire hiking community and should stop NOW.

SassyWindsor
06-12-2012, 21:43
I'm very serious, NOW!

WIAPilot
06-12-2012, 21:51
The attitude of a good many hikers I bothered to get to know was: 1. I'll never be coming back through here again, so what the heck. 2. I've spent way too much on beer, pizza and ayce's, so the hostels will have to be the ones to get stiffed. This includes 10 hikers with dogs in one motel room. 3. Some even thought they were some kind of great explorer and the general public should be grateful to them and give them food, drink and other stuff. Along with these attitudes come disrespect for the outdoors, the towns, and people along the way who try to be nice and treat hikers with basic decency.
What they are doing is giving everyone coming up the trail behind them, even in years to come, a worst rap than they should be getting. This hurts the entire hiking community and should stop NOW.

I still think that a lot of this disrespect for the hostels is all wrapped up in an AT "mooching mentality." There are a lot of hikers on various forums who brag about how much they are able to beg, borrow, yogi, and stiff others. It's like a competition to them. They actually ridicule their peers who are saving up for the trail. And they use every occasion to bum smokes and beer and restaurant meals as well. I am all for helping someone truly in need. But when it becomes sport as to who can use who the most - I'm out.

stranger
06-13-2012, 01:48
Shea's Pine Tree Inn in MA Closed thanks to some hikers raiding the bar after closing hours...in addition to others that have already been mentioned.

Personally, I think hostels are bad for the trail. The AT has enough towns and motels already, hostels encourage slackers to stick around, make those tools pay for a motel room and they will either hike on or go home.

I think 'trail motels' should charge more, not less, for hikers. Hikers require more assistance, require laundry, hang wet wet gear all over the room and dirty it up, ask for favors, shuttles, etc...those travelling by car don't do any of that stuff.

I'm happy to pay more, I'm grateful for those places.

Montana AT05
06-13-2012, 02:07
I've seen a lot of bad hiker behavior in towns, in hostels at trail angel's houses. Bless those folks who provide for hikers and see the better of people despite all that.

I've seen behavior that made me want to risk time at the local the cross-bar motel.

It's an increasing sense of entitlement and it is even more prevalent off-trail.

mtnkngxt
06-13-2012, 06:06
As a conservative member of the hiker trash brigade, I blame drunken, stoned, free love nonsense for most of the local interaction problems on the trail. Obviously you have nut jobs and the random gear strewn across the entire trail from people unable to pack out their own garbage they thought they needed. When it comes to getting shuttles, hostels, motels, and other services closed or cut off though, it seems that the you owe me or I'm entitled to this crowd does more harm than all of the crazy Rambos with their k-bars.

Jeff
06-13-2012, 07:09
Indeed change is constant. I can think of a half dozen closures in the past few years but even more openings. There are certainly more hostels along the trail than ever.

Closings

Miss Janets House
Cloud 9 in Hiawassee - Money
Mayor's House in Unionville - Mayor remarried
Gull Pond Lodge in Rangeley - Bob O'Brien retired
The Vortex in Bennington - Chris is having health problems
The Bird Cage in Dalton - Rob has said this is his last season.

Openings

Bonepac's Free State in Maryland
Chet's Place in Lincoln, NH
Teahorse in Harper's Ferry
White Mountain Lodge in Shelburne...Gorham now has 4 hostels.
High Mtn Haven in southern PA
Aquone Hostel - Wiggy's place near Burningtown Gap
Laughing Heart - The old Jesuit hostel in Hot Springs
4 Pines in Catawba - reopened after being closed for about 5 years.
Bearded Woods - Just opened this month in Falls Village, CT

Rain Man
06-13-2012, 08:20
... 10 hikers with dogs in one motel room....

most are closed due to alcohol/drug consumption, lack of respect and not donating $$

Sassy beat me to it. Was gonna add "dogs" to Lone Wolf's fine list.

Rain Man

max patch
06-13-2012, 08:47
So sometimes hikers misbehave, but in this case, I think the place got the reputation which gave them fewer hikers and may have started a downward spiral.

Rainbow Springs never had a "downward spiral". The Crossman's cashed out and sold the property to a developer who was going to put up McMansions. Jensine never kissed anyones azz which annoyed some hikers who thot they were "special" for hiking the trail. Great place and I was sorry to see it go.

Grampie
06-13-2012, 08:50
Running a hiker hostel takes a lot of work. Most hostels are not there to make money but to serve the hiking community. To keep places like this open hikers have to understand this and be more respectiable to our hostel providers.

max patch
06-13-2012, 08:57
The Widows Walk B&B in Stratton ME closed to hikers when Mary and Jerry retired. Super nice people who opened up their beautiful house to hikers and others.

The Episcopal Church in Hanover NH closed due to hiker abuse.

Not a hostel, but you used to be able to tent behind the PO in Kent CT. Don't know why this ended.

max patch
06-13-2012, 09:00
I believe that Greymoor monastery is available (if there is room) for $75 per day - which includes 3 meals. I am definitely going to try and stay there for a day or two and maybe volunteer a little while I am there.

I haven't heard that. If true, I'll stay there next year. I stayed there back in the day and the kindness of the Monks was unforgettable.

birchy
06-13-2012, 09:14
Running a hiker hostel takes a lot of work. Most hostels are not there to make money but to serve the hiking community. To keep places like this open hikers have to understand this and be more respectiable to our hostel providers. I certainly agree with that statement. Last year we actually lost money, and this year seems to be the same. We do what we do because we care for the trail and the hiking community. Moreover we have a small place, we so not pack hikers in just to make money. There seems to be a lot of disrespect out there, Some have a great time others are never happy. All you here anymore is the negative stuff, never the good. This will be our last year. We will still allow hikers to come in and camp and resupply in town, and join us for meals, but that's it. Just tired of all the bashing....

The Old Chief
06-13-2012, 09:48
I stayed at Rainbow Springs in 01, 02, 03, and 04. In 01 we were stuck there in about 18 inches of snow. I was frustrated more because we couldn't get away than by Jensine or Buddy. In 02 I only spent one night there, but as I walked up on the porch I was greeted by name by Jensine and she acted genuinely glad to see me. That means something to me. In 03 the new owners had bought the place and one of them (he drove a BMW motorcycle) really took an interest in running a hostel. I was really sick with a bad cold and stayed there two nights. He came down to the bunkhouse several times to check on me and took me and several more hikers to town for supplies. In 04 they put in a heated yurt that would sleep about 20 hikers and converted the old bunkhouse into a sauna and a small separate sleeping quarters for one or two. Mountain Crossings had a small store there for hiking supplies. They ran shuttles to town for re-supply. At that time it had to be about the nicest hostel down South. I guess the other partners were more interested in flipping the land for development and it closed sometime during the year, or at least I don't remember it being open after 04. Always wondered if they ever made any money off the land and if Jensine is still smiling and counting her money.

Rain Man
06-13-2012, 10:48
I certainly agree with that statement. Last year we actually ....

WE? Who is "we?"

Bati
06-13-2012, 16:52
It sounds like Rainblow KaChings improved quite a bit before they closed. I hope they got enough money to not have to work again.
Honestly, when I was there, it was the only place on the entire trail that seemed dedicated to convincing hikers to not hike (and not in a good way). I told everyone to avoid it, despite the fantastic location; it's the only place I stayed on the trail that I've ever told hikers to avoid without a qualification such as "that town is too expensive" or "too far of the trail".

Cherokee Bill
06-13-2012, 17:51
----------------------------------

I agree 100%. At 65-yo, I have been hiking parts of the AT for over 25-yrs, and try to get up there when the 'Thru-hikers" are coming along! The had habits of the many young people on the Trail get worse each year! In fact I have gotten so I try to avoid the main-flow of Thru Hikers for this very reason!

These bad habits turn the general-public off to AT hikers, and causes some business to refuse service to them!

Future Thru hikers will have to pay the penalty for the past sins of past hikers! What a shame :mad:

Lyle
06-13-2012, 18:36
Indeed change is constant. I can think of a half dozen closures in the past few years but even more openings. There are certainly more hostels along the trail than ever.

Closings

Miss Janets House
Cloud 9 in Hiawassee - Money
Mayor's House in Unionville - Mayor remarried
Gull Pond Lodge in Rangeley - Bob O'Brien retired
The Vortex in Bennington - Chris is having health problems

Openings

Bonepac's Free State in Maryland
Chet's Place in Lincoln, NH
Teahorse in Harper's Ferry
White Mountain Lodge in Shelburne...Gorham now has 4 hostels.
High Mtn Haven in southern PA
Aquone Hostel - Wiggy's place near Burningtown Gap
Laughing Heart - The old Jesuit hostel in Hot Springs
4 Pines in Catawba - reopened after being closed for about 5 years.
Bearded Woods - Just opened this month in Falls Village, CT

Thank you, This was exactly what I was thinking. There are more hostels and services available now then there were a decade or two ago.

Blissful
06-13-2012, 19:45
Also to the list of closures in Maine - Gull Pond (correction).
I'd call ahead also on The Cabin as Bear suffered a stroke a while back.

fiddlehead
06-13-2012, 20:45
I first hiked the trail in '77 (1200 miles of it anyway that year) and back then, most town would have some option for the thru-hikers that was free.
Firehouses, churches, town parks, etc.

All of these have since closed their services except perhaps "The Place" and the church in Delaware Water Gap (are they still open???)
(I don't remember if Port Clinton town pavilion was available back then as I live nearby and went home for a few days when passing through there.

For one thing, the numbers of thrus now are extreme in comparison but also, the lack of respect is outrageous.

The best thing to do about it is either have plenty of money so you don't need these hostels, or go hike another trail that hasn't yet been ruined by the unexperienced youth who think too much of themselves.

Don H
06-14-2012, 10:28
"The Bird Cage in Dalton - Rob has said this is his last season."

That's too bad, Rob is a great guy.

Moose2001
06-14-2012, 10:43
or go hike another trail that hasn't yet been ruined by the unexperienced youth who think too much of themselves.

I wouldn't just blame the "youth". I've seen plenty of "older" hikers with the same lack of respect and sense of entitlement.

Lybarger
07-01-2012, 09:01
"The Bird Cage in Dalton - Rob has said this is his last season."

That's too bad, Rob is a great guy.

Rob has told hikers that he is closing due to financial reasons. Yet, he doesn't charge a dime to hikers. Hard to figure.

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 09:45
Rob has told hikers that he is closing due to financial reasons. Yet, he doesn't charge a dime to hikers. Hard to figure.

Maybe he just can't afford to do that any longer for whatever reason.

Deco
07-01-2012, 10:17
I stayed at Rainbow Springs back in 1987 shortly after it opened and found Jasmine and her family to be wonderful I'm glad they cashed in and I hope they are all doing well.

As to the conservative above, speaking as a member of the "stoned free love" hiking community I am constantly picking up other people's trash as well as putting out their unattended fires. I would not make broad generalizations about the conservative "Rambos with their k-bars" and would appreciate the same courtesy.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 10:25
It sounds like Rainblow KaChings improved quite a bit before they closed. I hope they got enough money to not have to work again.
Honestly, when I was there, it was the only place on the entire trail that seemed dedicated to convincing hikers to not hike (and not in a good way). I told everyone to avoid it, despite the fantastic location; it's the only place I stayed on the trail that I've ever told hikers to avoid without a qualification such as "that town is too expensive" or "too far of the trail".

Honest LW nailed it - and I cannot believe that there is any profit or money to be made in running a Hostel,,, and whats up with the rest of this post?

moldy
07-01-2012, 10:33
Most hostels are not operated as a business, they have no business sense, they are highly unprofitable and doomed to fail before they ever start. Most are started for the wrong reasons. If you want to make enough money to support yourself then either run it as a business or pick something else. Most are "Mother Therisa" deals where some bored lady wants to feel better by saving the world. It's not the underground railraod, we are hikers. I guess it's better than collecting cats.

Heald
07-01-2012, 11:20
The fire house in Waynesboro closed because a hiker had turned a bunch of the knobs on one of the fire trucks. At least that's what the Chief told me back in 96'.
Graymoor had to stop letting hikers stay inside because the Friars took in a bunch of Nuns that had been burned out their residence. At least that's what a Friar told me in 2000.
The church in Manchester Center gave the hikers "3 strikes and you're out". The first strike was the kitchen. It was an ongoing problem keeping it clean, but on one occasion it was left a complete disaster. Strike two was when a church Parishioner walked in on a couple hikers having sex. Strike three came when someone defecated on the floor. As it turns out it wasn't a hiker who did this but a vagrant. The Parishioners were aware that it was a vagrant, but for whatever reason decided to close down the hostel to hikers all the same. At least that is what a church Parishioner told me. Rainbow Springs had been bought by multiple party investors from Jensine I believe. I think they became a little disappointed with how little they made from the campground. I spent a month there building the satellite store for Mountain Crossings in 04, and I spoke to one of the new owners on a daily basis. Nice guy, but I got the feeling that development of the property would be almost inevitable unless the campground were to start turning bigger profits than it had ever done before. But they were willing to at least give it a shot.

Jeff
07-01-2012, 12:41
There are several hostels doing reasonably well along the AT. Each is run like a business and also has other clientele besides thru hikers. Most of these owners/operators are very visible during the day and stay on top of potential problems before they get out of hand. Off the top of my head that list would include:

Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega
Mountain Harbour in Roan Mountain
Woodshole south of Pearisburg
Dutch Haus in Montebello
Bears Den
Teahorse Hostel in Harpers Ferry
White Mountain Lodge and Hostel in Gorham/Shelburne
Shaw's in Monson
AT Lodge in Millinocket

mikec
07-01-2012, 13:00
I always thought the Rainbow Springs Campground was sold, then later closed due to the bad rap that it got it Bryson's book. Thoughts?

Skyline
07-01-2012, 13:27
This thread, among other things, is proof that hikers should not be depending upon old hiker handbooks for town and hostel info. Too much change year-to-year.

Wise Old Owl
07-01-2012, 13:30
Its weird how this tread mirrors the current Handout thread

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85875-Have-you-ever-been-asked-for-money-on-the-AT

The Old Chief
07-01-2012, 13:41
I'm sure that Rainbow Springs never closed due to a bad rap. In 2004 it had to be one of the nicest hostels down South. They had plenty of hikers staying there but I believe the original intent of the investors was to divide the land into parcels and make a nice profit from the sales. Don't know if it ever sold before the bottom dropped out.

SunnyWalker
07-01-2012, 15:41
I wonder if any of these Hostels could apply for a Grant? Surely something is available out there. Hmmmmmmm . . . . .

Coffee Rules!
07-01-2012, 15:49
The fire house in Waynesboro closed because a hiker had turned a bunch of the knobs on one of the fire trucks. At least that's what the Chief told me back in 96'.

Yeah, that could be a problem on a pump panel. Turn or pull or flip the wrong thing and you could cause problems.

max patch
07-01-2012, 15:57
The church in Manchester Center gave the hikers "3 strikes and you're out". The first strike was the kitchen. It was an ongoing problem keeping it clean, but on one occasion it was left a complete disaster. Strike two was when a church Parishioner walked in on a couple hikers having sex. Strike three came when someone defecated on the floor. As it turns out it wasn't a hiker who did this but a vagrant. The Parishioners were aware that it was a vagrant, but for whatever reason decided to close down the hostel to hikers all the same. At least that is what a church Parishioner told me.

The story I heard was that the mystery turd came from a dog (which wasn't supposed to be in there in the first place.) Who knows?

I figured that Manchester Center was going to be history when I came out of the shower and saw the preacher pushing a broom in our sleeping area -- while about a dozen hikers watched him work.

Lybarger
08-16-2012, 08:05
After reading the Tips and Donation thread I now know why so many hostels have closed.

lemon b
08-16-2012, 09:05
Drinking and disrespect. Money and time.

Skyline
08-16-2012, 11:58
When you open a hostel, you invite everyone on the Trail to visit. Some take advantage, many do not. But enough bad experiences with those who ruin it for others will take its toll on the owners after awhile. Inevitably, some choose to close due to ongoing bad behaviors.

Those who hang in there for a decade or more are like Saints in my opinion. One of the best examples I can think of is Bob Peoples at Kincora, Dennis Cove Rd., TN. There are others.

Until last year, when I developed health issues and also began spending more and more time in Delaware away from the Trail, I had a different model for helping hikers who decided to come into Luray VA, just west of Thornton Gap in SNP. It wasn't a full-scale hostel, but it had all the conveniences of one. It just wasn't advertised as such anywhere, and the physical location wasn't conducive to just "dropping in."

My home there has hosted many, many hikers since 1995. But it was all by invitation. How did a hiker get an invite? By being in town and running into me or one of several local friends who would call me about certain folks I might like to host, or during an encounter up on the AT when I was out hiking myself. At first hikers slept on a large front porch with gorgeous views of the Blue Ridge, and eventually there was an AT-style shelter on the property, tent sites, and many other amenities including an easy-access hiker shower/bathroom and laundry.

I'm a pretty decent judge of character, and in all those years only had a problem with one guy who ran up my long-distance phone bill in days before cell phones were so common. By being invitation-only, I could maintain control over both the quality and quantity of hikers who visited on any given day. I could also take a day or more off when desired (like when I wanted to go hiking my own self!). Not so easy to burn out under this scenario.

This worked out well for the hikers who stayed, and for me since I enjoyed their company. In later years, clients of the now-closed shuttle service I was associated with were also able to stay a night before or after their hikes if they wanted to.

The downside, of course, is that hikers did not generally have advance knowledge of this availability and so could not plan ahead of time to stay there. Kind of the way it was for early hikers like Earl and Gene and Grandma Gatewood when they did the Trail. (And the problem is.....?)

The idea for the on-site shelter and invitation-only came from Ishmael, near Boiling Springs PA. Though I did not stay there when I hiked that section, I was invited (but chose to hike on to keep a section-hike schedule). But I thought the concept was brilliant, and eventually emulated it.

Hikers and trail angels who are thinking about opening a hostel, but are hesitant because of some of the horror stories recounted here and elsewhere, might do well to consider this scenario. Sure, you won't be the toast of the Trail and you probably won't have a detailed listing in any guidebook for what you're offering--but you'll have a great chance to help a lot of hikers when you can, and you'll enjoy the experience a lot more yourself. If you need the $$, you can strongly suggest a donation level in advance (I didn't need it so I never suggested, but others might need to).

IMHO enough scenarios like this, instead of the traditional hostel model, might also cut down on the hiker entitlement syndrome and destructive behavior being discussed here. Those hikers who have caused problems elsewhere seem to get talked about up the trail, through the grapevine or on the service providers' e-mail list. When they can't just show up on your doorstep unannounced and uninvited, they are easier to avoid. Just knowing that their reputations might precede them and might mean they don't get an invite to a bunch of places, it might prompt, in some cases, better behavior from the start.

HikerMom58
08-16-2012, 12:50
When you open a hostel, you invite everyone on the Trail to visit. Some take advantage, many do not. But enough bad experiences with those who ruin it for others will take its toll on the owners after awhile. Inevitably, some choose to close due to ongoing bad behaviors.

Those who hang in there for a decade or more are like Saints in my opinion. One of the best examples I can think of is Bob Peoples at Kincora, Dennis Cove Rd., TN. There are others.

Until last year, when I developed health issues and also began spending more and more time in Delaware away from the Trail, I had a different model for helping hikers who decided to come into Luray VA, just west of Thornton Gap in SNP. It wasn't a full-scale hostel, but it had all the conveniences of one. It just wasn't advertised as such anywhere, and the physical location wasn't conducive to just "dropping in."

My home there has hosted many, many hikers since 1995. But it was all by invitation. How did a hiker get an invite? By being in town and running into me or one of several local friends who would call me about certain folks I might like to host, or during an encounter up on the AT when I was out hiking myself. At first hikers slept on a large front porch with gorgeous views of the Blue Ridge, and eventually there was an AT-style shelter on the property, tent sites, and many other amenities including an easy-access hiker shower/bathroom and laundry.

I'm a pretty decent judge of character, and in all those years only had a problem with one guy who ran up my long-distance phone bill in days before cell phones were so common. By being invitation-only, I could maintain control over both the quality and quantity of hikers who visited on any given day. I could also take a day or more off when desired (like when I wanted to go hiking my own self!). Not so easy to burn out under this scenario.

This worked out well for the hikers who stayed, and for me since I enjoyed their company. In later years, clients of the now-closed shuttle service I was associated with were also able to stay a night before or after their hikes if they wanted to.

The downside, of course, is that hikers did not generally have advance knowledge of this availability and so could not plan ahead of time to stay there. Kind of the way it was for early hikers like Earl and Gene and Grandma Gatewood when they did the Trail. (And the problem is.....?)

The idea for the on-site shelter and invitation-only came from Ishmael, near Boiling Springs PA. Though I did not stay there when I hiked that section, I was invited (but chose to hike on to keep a section-hike schedule). But I thought the concept was brilliant, and eventually emulated it.

Hikers and trail angels who are thinking about opening a hostel, but are hesitant because of some of the horror stories recounted here and elsewhere, might do well to consider this scenario. Sure, you won't be the toast of the Trail and you probably won't have a detailed listing in any guidebook for what you're offering--but you'll have a great chance to help a lot of hikers when you can, and you'll enjoy the experience a lot more yourself. If you need the $$, you can strongly suggest a donation level in advance (I didn't need it so I never suggested, but others might need to).

IMHO enough scenarios like this, instead of the traditional hostel model, might also cut down on the hiker entitlement syndrome and destructive behavior being discussed here.

That's a great idea and sounds like it's working well. :) I have done this, myself, on even a smaller scale than what it sounds like you are doing. I have people on the trail that know me and will put ME in contact with hikers coming through the area. I have already become part of a woman's hiking page on FB so I'm their personal TA for their upcoming hike in 2013. Can't wait to meet them!!! I do everything without charge just b/c I love to meet new people .... hikers in particular. When my daughter was hiking, I was amazed by the love & kindness that people showed her, while on the trail. That was the beginning for my passion in reaching out to the hiking community. What an interesting post! Thanks for sharing with us. :) If you want my contact info, for any reason, PM me. I'm in the Daleville VA area. Thanks again for posting!!

Skyline
08-16-2012, 13:35
That's a great idea and sounds like it's working well. :) I have done this, myself, on even a smaller scale than what it sounds like you are doing. I have people on the trail that know me and will put ME in contact with hikers coming through the area. I have already become part of a woman's hiking page on FB so I'm their personal TA for their upcoming hike in 2013. Can't wait to meet them!!! I do everything without charge just b/c I love to meet new people .... hikers in particular. When my daughter was hiking, I was amazed by the love & kindness that people showed her, while on the trail. That was the beginning for my passion in reaching out to the hiking community. What an interesting post! Thanks for sharing with us. :) If you want my contact info, for any reason, PM me. I'm in the Daleville VA area. Thanks again for posting!!

Actually, I'm not doing this at the present time. The Virginia home is on the market (www.ShenandoahDreamHome.com (http://www.ShenandoahDreamHome.com)), and I'm living between Virginia and Delaware--more in the latter. I miss the mountains and most of all the AT, but I'm getting better health care elsewhere and right now that's a priority.

My reason for posting today was to present what I think is a valid middle ground between running a full scale hostel and doing nothing because of fear of some of the behaviors noted in this thread. Worked for lots of hikers, and I enjoyed it too.

HikerMom58
08-16-2012, 14:13
I understand.

I hope everything works out for you in the sale of your home but more importantly your health.

That's why I liked your post so much because it did present a valid middle ground. I would be interested in doing something like this myself. I live 5 miles from the trail crossing in Daleville, VA.

I'll have to take a look at the listing of your home in VA. I'll keep this home, in mind, to share with someone that might be interested in it. :)

The Kisco Kid
08-17-2012, 10:37

Thanks for this, Skyline. I stayed at a similar situation with Sharon and Tom Johnson at their hiker loft near Front Royal. Sharon has shuttled me the last two years as I've sectioned hiked northern Virginia and I stayed overnight on my way to/from the trail. Wonderful experience.

rambunny
08-17-2012, 11:17
Aqua's health was the main reason Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins closed,but also we blew up a van with shuttles,worked 17 hrs a day,and had unbelievable wear and tear on the house,and no profit! 90% of our guests were Fantastic,unfortunetly the 10% were Really bad.But we still miss it every day. We are hoping to reopen when Aqua's health improves but with more limited service.Without hikers my electric bill is $40-with $230.

Supreme Being
08-17-2012, 12:18
Aqua's health was the main reason Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins closed,but also we blew up a van with shuttles,worked 17 hrs a day,and had unbelievable wear and tear on the house,and no profit! 90% of our guests were Fantastic,unfortunetly the 10% were Really bad.But we still miss it every day. We are hoping to reopen when Aqua's health improves but with more limited service.Without hikers my electric bill is $40-with $230.

Your hostel operated on donations, right? Would you say that most hikers gave a donation? Did you also provide meals? I am not surprised that there was no profit in it. When you consider the hours, the wear and tear on your home and no money, every single AT hiker out there should realize what a gift they have been given. And still we have hikers who start quibbling over "donations." What was the difference in your water bill, if you don't mind telling us?

fireneck
08-17-2012, 16:06

Closings

Miss Janets House

He's moving near Elizabeth, TN and will be attempting to open Bird Cage South!

Jeff
08-17-2012, 16:34
Rob has made it clear he is moving south...what a treat for hikers next year in TN.

Not sure how Tom Levardi will handle more hiker guests in Dalton next season with Rob's departure. That town was blessed to have two angels serving hikers.

TOW
08-18-2012, 08:52
I am seriously thinking of opening a hostel right next door to my house. I use to let people stay at my house for a donation and would get stiffed over and over, but on the other hand I had a few generous folks come along too. Those who would stiff me would eat my food, drink my coffee, steal my medicine, tell me they did not have to give me any money, and so forth.

However I have decided that this time I will not put up with that, and I am only going to target the over 35 crowd. Even though I may run it on a donation thing you will drop the donation in the box from the start or you can just hike along. On the other hand if I get a license to do it there are not that many rules affixed to doing it as a hostel other than the fact that I have to place fire extinguishers in certain areas and get insured. And there will be no alcohol on premises but you may go and have a drink.

I think targeting the older crowd is less troublesome.

TOW
08-18-2012, 09:01
Aqua's health was the main reason Happy Hiker Hollow in Atkins closed,but also we blew up a van with shuttles,worked 17 hrs a day,and had unbelievable wear and tear on the house,and no profit! 90% of our guests were Fantastic,unfortunetly the 10% were Really bad.But we still miss it every day. We are hoping to reopen when Aqua's health improves but with more limited service.Without hikers my electric bill is $40-with $230.I'll never forget hanging out with you at TD's '01.......

atmilkman
08-18-2012, 09:26
I am seriously thinking of opening a hostel right next door to my house. I use to let people stay at my house for a donation and would get stiffed over and over, but on the other hand I had a few generous folks come along too. Those who would stiff me would eat my food, drink my coffee, steal my medicine, tell me they did not have to give me any money, and so forth.

However I have decided that this time I will not put up with that, and I am only going to target the over 35 crowd. Even though I may run it on a donation thing you will drop the donation in the box from the start or you can just hike along. On the other hand if I get a license to do it there are not that many rules affixed to doing it as a hostel other than the fact that I have to place fire extinguishers in certain areas and get insured. And there will be no alcohol on premises but you may go and have a drink.

I think you're right in targeting the older crowd, but don't give up. There's still hope for the american youth. You can probably write off generation x and y, but it looks like generation z (as in Zoe) has potential. Hope to meet you next year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJmCKY1SR-E&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smnrm9cXGsg&feature=related

Train Wreck
08-18-2012, 10:07

It's a good idea to set your rules and expectations up front so that people who can't/won't abide by them will choose to stay somewhere else. I do wonder if it would result in even more problems for The Place, since by you would be in effect taking the more responsible & ethical hikers out of the mix and increasing the proportion of immature, irresponsible hikers who wind up at the Place.

Kryptonite
08-18-2012, 11:25

I think opening up a hostel would be great! I'd stay! You would definitely need to get insured and collect upfront, which would probably make it more expensive than The Place, but even if you charge $10-$30, that is cheaper than many of the B&Bs. Damascus is a very popular place on the AT, especially during trail days. I think you are right in targeting a select crowd.

Wolf - 23000
08-18-2012, 11:43
Over the years many hostels have close but even more have open. Many have closed as previously said due to drugs, lack of respect for the rules to name a few. There is no excuse for the lack of respect that a few bad apples have displayed for the trail but there are also way to many hostels and it shows.

During my thru-hikes, I stayed in a hostel every couple of weeks but now hikers can almost stay inside every day. The more someone stays outside helps them develope their wilderness skills. They become more intune with nature. You can see the different between past and present hikers.

Wolf

DavidNH
08-18-2012, 12:41
so sad to hear that Gull Pond Lodge in Rangely closed. It was a great place to stay. Also.. cloud 9 in Hiawasse, GE.. one of best places for the price (I think it was 20 bucks in 2006.

I'm sure the lousy attitude on part of many AT (thru) hikers is a big problem in many cases.

I remember staying at Hikers Paradise in Gorham, NH. I was in a nice clean hotel room. There where many other rooms where hikers were smoking and drinking like there's no tomorrow. Bet that stinked up the place to high heaven. Thing is.. while most thru hikers are fine folks there is a portion of them that are total jerks, less considerate than college students and that's saying something!

david

Jeff
08-18-2012, 12:59
During my thru-hikes, I stayed in a hostel every couple of weeks but now hikers can almost stay inside every day. The more someone stays outside helps them develope their wilderness skills. They become more intune with nature. You can see the different between past and present hikers.

Wolf

Yes indeed there are more options for staying overnite in town. But, that has benefitted a segment of hikers who may not have successfully completed their hike otherwise. Town stays can make a hike more enjoyable and less of a grind.

Wolf - 23000
08-18-2012, 16:20
Yes indeed there are more options for staying overnite in town. But, that has benefitted a segment of hikers who may not have successfully completed their hike otherwise. Town stays can make a hike more enjoyable and less of a grind.

Jeff, I agree with you that the hostels have help some hikers to successfully complete their hikes who might other wise not made it but should everyone made it? I'm not against anyone completing their hike but what I am for is if someone is going to call themselves a backpacker well they actually spend some time in the wilderness. Over the past couple of years it seems to me more and more hikers are getting themselves in trouble over not so difficult problems. Example how many hikers these days have difficult building a simple camp fire or head into town when it is raining.

Coming into town as you said can make a hike more enjoyable and less of a grind but sometimes that is what is needed. Spending time in nature also helps hikers become more intune with nature something few hikers are. I don't know the numbers but I would guest the number of town days hikers have taken has seriously increase over the years. If you talk with the old time hikers and the current hikers, I bet you can see a big different in the level of knowledge of spending time in the wilderness.

Wolf

Jeff
08-18-2012, 16:52
Wolf-- I agree that many of todays hikers stop to resupply every chance they get. Seems like so many go into town every 50 miles or so. When you are in town, a night in a hostel looks pretty good. Part of that is the ultralite craze...no one wants to carry a heavy pack anymore. That also makes for a more expensive hike. You only spend money in town!!!

Kryptonite
08-18-2012, 17:38
I think that anyone who hikes 2,184 miles can call themselves a backpacker no matter if they stay in a lot of hostels or not. Now maybe they aren't that great at camping, but if they are hiking with a backpack - they have my vote.

Don H
08-19-2012, 18:56
The old timers will tell you that the old AT went through more towns than it does today.

When I didn't know better I carried a heavy pack, then I learned how to enjoy hiking.

johnnybgood
08-19-2012, 19:05
When I didn't know better I carried a heavy pack, then I learned how to enjoy hiking.

Yep . Hike smarter,not harder.

Montana AT05
08-19-2012, 19:11
Yep . Hike smarter,not harder.

Agreed.

And there is no relationship between ultra light and hostel use. The only correlation there is made in the mind of a guy who stubbornly carries 50 lbs + of gear while claiming anything less leads to death in the wilds...

And as far as hostels closing, well, they didn't build those hostels anyways, am I right? :confused:

rambunny
08-27-2012, 13:43
Luckily we own our water supply-to answer the water bill question.Interesting thoughts folks. You know the term "hike your own hike" well hostel your own hostel!

Drybones
08-27-2012, 14:01
I'm very serious, NOW!

How would you even attempt to change these people creating the problems? I fear we are witnessing a massive culture change and it's not just with hikers.

Wolf - 23000
08-27-2012, 20:11
I think that anyone who hikes 2,184 miles can call themselves a backpacker no matter if they stay in a lot of hostels or not. Now maybe they aren't that great at camping, but if they are hiking with a backpack - they have my vote.

Kryptonite,

I am going to disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with someone staying in a hostel here and there or if they want everyday or their hike but they are going to stay in town every night why not just stay home? A backpacker has everything he/she needs to survive for multiply nights in the wilderness and becomes more intune with nature, someone heading into town every couple of days can't do that.

Wolf

Lybarger
10-05-2012, 09:25
Sad to read about the Pearisburg hostel closing. Any other church sponsored hostels on the verge of closing??

I worry about the one in Delaware Water Gap. When Pastor Karen retired you never know if the rest of the church leaders really are in favor of service to hikers.

Lybarger
10-16-2012, 15:49
Bump.........

Darwin13
10-16-2012, 15:53

shots fired

Pendragon
10-16-2012, 17:14
I would be in favor of a "thru-hikers' triple-A" club to which you contribute a reasonable fee ($25 -$50?), agree to terms of behavior and expectations, and become registered ahead of time, get a card and a number, and hostels along the route who belong to this organization in turn agree to provide a minimum set of services for a set fee (which could rise with number of consecutive days spent at one stay to discourage "hostel partiers" to card holders. Those who don't present the card could be expected to pay a higher fee and/or pay a deposit to guard against these kind of abuses. I know this sounds like more big brother crap, but I personally do not want to be branded as a problem because some kids tripping thru give us all a bad name, and I would gladly carry the card if that would make me less of a threat to the good hearted people who provide us with these welcome services (especially the showers and washing machines) at a price we working stiffs can handle.

WingedMonkey
10-17-2012, 08:26
Sad to read about the Pearisburg hostel closing.

Read about it where?

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 09:39
Rainbow Springs Campground is not closed they changed owners and names. and i stayed at the Graymoor Monestary, and they still let people in but its costly because i stayed their this year. How about Kincora i stayed their but i wish it would close.

max patch
10-17-2012, 10:06
Rainbow Springs Campground is not closed they changed owners and names.

RSC closed around 2005.

RED-DOG
10-17-2012, 10:17
The R.S.C is not closed they changed owners and names.

Slo-go'en
10-17-2012, 10:37
[quote:/] so sad to hear that Gull Pond Lodge in Rangely closed. It was a great place to stay. Also.. cloud 9 in Hiawasse, GE.. one of best places for the price (I think it was 20 bucks in 2006.) I'm sure the lousy attitude on part of many AT (thru) hikers is a big problem in many cases.[quote:/]

Gull pond closed because he was getting too old to run the place anymore. Cloud 9 closed because they had financial problems - lack of year round tourists and a way too expensive morgage to keep the place viable.

The bottom line is there are still more hostel options available now then ever before.

Skyline
10-17-2012, 15:04

Could you please cite your source and provide a link?

max patch
10-17-2012, 15:13

Yeah, Jensine and Buddy sold around 2003. A couple years later the campground closed and the owners were going to develop the property and build homes but that didn't happen as the economy and housing market tanked. Are you telling us that the campground has reopened and is back in business?

max patch
10-17-2012, 16:09
This is Jensine's last post on WB back in 2006:

Rainbow Springs Campground
Haven't been on Whiteblaze for sometime now. But got an email today about
this thread. Unfortunately, the bunkhouse, and cabins have been torched,
wormy chestnut and all. The trees have all been cut down and it's all being
bulldozed flat. It is divided into 7 narrow lots of less than an acre each, down
by the river, and they are asking a starting price of $225,000 each. I saw that
Doctari said he cried, trust me,when ever we go by I cry too. But lots of good memories and friends are still with us. I heard they sold the yurt, but
don't know that for sure.
Jensine

Oneofsix
10-17-2012, 16:33
Kryptonite,

I am going to disagree with you. There is nothing wrong with someone staying in a hostel here and there or if they want everyday or their hike but they are going to stay in town every night why not just stay home? A backpacker has everything he/she needs to survive for multiply nights in the wilderness and becomes more intune with nature, someone heading into town every couple of days can't do that.

Wolf

I guess I feel like if you backpack – 3-6 days, and do that 40 to 50 times in a row . . . you’re a backpacker at least. What disqualifies you from calling it a thru-hike though?

(so as to not completely hijack, i'm posting a new thread about what it means to be a thru-hiker and my curiosity about the norms of the trail . . . I hope I don't catch too much **** for this. )

trovar
10-21-2012, 04:27
I hope you guys never close!