PDA

View Full Version : Tent Suggestions.

littlebrother
06-12-2012, 22:15
I was hoping to get some feedback from actual users/owners of what tents have worked well for them. Im willing to spend some money if need be, and if weight is minimal I would also be willing to pack in a 2P tent even though I am soloing. I understand that there are numerous styles and choices; some that I have looked at are Big Agnes, Easton, and MSR.

Bearleg
06-12-2012, 22:36
i just did a section hike using a Eureka, Solitaire, cost $99, weight, 2lbs 12 oz. worked well even had room to sit up, spent one night in the rain, and two nights under the stars, the cover can be removed and the tent becomes a screened tent. i am 6'2" 250 plenty of room for me and gear.

rocketsocks
06-12-2012, 22:49
i just did a section hike using a Eureka, Solitaire, cost $99, weight, 2lbs 12 oz. worked well even had room to sit up, spent one night in the rain, and two nights under the stars, the cover can be removed and the tent becomes a screened tent. i am 6'2" 250 plenty of room for me and gear.I have the same one,and I'm 5'-7"and for me it's ok,not my dream tent,but it's cheap(paid $63 on sale I think,years ago)and light enough,but given other choices,I'd pick something different,like a one of the Tarptents...Contrail,Notch,Rainbow,there just better choices.imho

4shot
06-12-2012, 22:50
I hiked with a tarptent double rainbow. I missed the doublewall/rainfly at times but this a very light, roomy tent. you will see a lot of tarptents on the AT (for a reason).

Old Boots
06-12-2012, 23:31
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 is a great tent at 2 lbs. 2 oz.

q-tip
06-13-2012, 08:45
I use the Tarp Tent Contrail, Most Excellent and the whole shelter packager-tent, ground cloth and stakes come to just under 2 lbs. You might look at the TT Notch. It looks like a more effective shelter for the same weight.

Good Luck.

Don H
06-13-2012, 09:01
I use a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for my thru-hike.
Good Points: 24 oz., uses a hiking pole to set up, very quick to set up and take down.
Bad Points: Not free standing, has a larger foot print than a free standing tent.

My other tent is a Henry Shires Tarptent Rainbow.
This one is freestanding, has a smaller footprint but weighs about 34 oz.

Both are easy to set up, have good ventilation and plenty of room for you and your gear.
Either one would be a good choice in my opinion.

RedBeerd
06-13-2012, 09:21
+1 big agnes fly creek

lemon b
06-13-2012, 09:42
As of late I've been using a North Face Mica1. Nice and Dry, gets bugs out. A bit long packed up. Kinda looking for something maybe a tad lighter.( they go off at 3lbs. Before this I went thru a couple backcountry 1's The old models were lousy. Took too many tiedowns in bad weather. Newer ones with the taught fly are better but both are on the heavyside as in 4lbs. Years back all I used was a poncho, but that got old.

vjh
06-13-2012, 10:00
As a section hiker and past gear salesperson at a major store...I have tried/slept in and purchased a boatload of tents. I've sold all my solo backpacking tents and purchsed a Lightheart Gear So Long 6. IMHO, for less than 2lbs the roomy interior and easy set up and massive amount of ventilation/mesh make this tent a no brainer for someone considering spending 6 months in a tent. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and have spent 4 nites in it with no issues with setting it up in the dark, wind or normal circumstances. Woke up in CO after 32 deg nite with no issues with condensation on my down bag. I would highly recommend that you take a look at them. Judy's attention to detail and innovative designs which can be modified to fit you are everything a thru hiker needs in a tent.

bfayer
06-13-2012, 11:52
You don't say how tall you are. I am 6'3" and my BA FC 2 is a little short, it's workable but just. Otherwise it's a very good and light tent. Although it is Sil-nylon it is also pu coated. Very lightweight and very waterproof.

I asked my wife for the Lightheart SoLong 6 for my birthday. I use hiking poles and I really want the extra length. I think it will be ideal.

If you are not that tall, I think the BA FC 2 is a good choice.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Kerosene
06-13-2012, 15:42
I've had a lot of good experience with my original SMD Lunar Solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html). However, if I was going to do a thru-hike I would probably upgrade to LightHeart Solo Cuben (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=14&zenid=d2af1aa6333d1996092fef954600bcc3) (20 oz, $475), but I might also consider the SMD SkyScape-X (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/ssX.html) (15 oz, $450, Cuben also).

As a section hiker, I tend to favor early spring and late fall hikes when the bugs are not much of an issue. I will likely move to something like the zPacks Hexamid Solo+ (http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml) tarp (~6 oz, $280 w/ beak, Cuben).

vjh
06-14-2012, 12:56
My last tent was a HS Rainbow...is a really nice tent but is NOT free-standing without hiking poles and instead of being on the inside of your tent like in the Lightheart Gear tents your poles are on the outside...I have cork grip poles and dont' like the idea of "things" gnawing on my pole handles at night! :) I can't believe people are still using that Eureka Solitaire! :) Good for you...I tried that on a hike in Indiana once and it was way too claustraphobic. I felt at the time that it had some design issues and (as with the Zeus) that they missed an opportunity to reallly catch the lightweight market at the time. I loved Eureka as a big box brand.

Spokes
06-14-2012, 16:42
I thru hiked with an MSR Hubba HP. It was bombproof. Since then I switched to a Six Moon Design Lunar Solo. I'm amazed that it has just as much or a titch more inside room and lighter to boot.

I like side entry tents since they're so much easier getting in and out of. I am not a big fan of Big Agnus stuff.

Cheers!

Red Hat
06-15-2012, 01:07
I use the Lightheart Duo and recommend the Lightheart SoLong. It comes in cuben or silnylon. I personally don't think the weight savings with the cuben is worth the extra $$$... but that's just me. www.lightheartgear.com

cabbagehead
06-15-2012, 15:49
I highly recommend not getting an American Eureka Solitaire as the poles snap easily. Look into tarp tents. I've never seen a one person tent that wasn't big enough for 2 people.

verasch
06-15-2012, 19:34
My first tent was an rei half dome, supposedly their most popular tent. At 6'4", it really didn't fit me and it positively sucked in torrential downpours.

From here I went to a kelty something or other before buying a mountain hardware hammerhead 2 for winter camping. Very comfy tent mind you but thoroughly impractical. That sucker weighs almost 8 pounds and its pack-size is that of a watermelon.

Naturally with all things extreme, I ended up buying a hennessey hammock ul asym. I love it, its light and I've found some creative places to hang it.

I agree with spokes about big agnes' tents, though ive only heard about them. I like their sleeping bags with the sleeve for the pad though.

Tinker
06-17-2012, 07:28
Here's one suggestion:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?52867-Lightheart-Tent&highlight=

TrekkerJeff
06-20-2012, 07:43
My wife and I use the Rainshadow 2 from HS Tarptent. 44oz and it's large enough to for the 2 of us along with our packs.

T.S.Kobzol
06-20-2012, 08:02
LightHeart with the Awning option looks very intriguing. I wonder how quick they are to set up?

I've had a lot of good experience with my original SMD Lunar Solo (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html). However, if I was going to do a thru-hike I would probably upgrade to LightHeart Solo Cuben (http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=14&zenid=d2af1aa6333d1996092fef954600bcc3) (20 oz, $475), but I might also consider the SMD SkyScape-X (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/ssX.html) (15 oz, $450, Cuben also).

As a section hiker, I tend to favor early spring and late fall hikes when the bugs are not much of an issue. I will likely move to something like the zPacks Hexamid Solo+ (http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml) tarp (~6 oz, $280 w/ beak, Cuben).

BFI
06-20-2012, 08:07
I'm a 6ft 250 Lb guy and I used the MSR Hubba One and loved it. Got rained on snowed on and was dry and warm. You'll have to keep your gear in the vestible outside the tent. Lots of head room and and it stayed dry on the inside.

The Tank
06-21-2012, 12:00
The Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 has been my favorite backpacking tent so far. I'm 5'-10". It's a little tight for 2 people, but plenty of room for me and my gear if alone, at under 3 lbs. Saw some on the AT this past weekend, along with many Tarptents (Squall and Contrail).

JoshL
06-21-2012, 15:17
I like my Fly Creek UL2 as well, lightweight and plenty of room for 1, not so much for 2. I wouldn't trust it's long term durability without a footprint though, the floor material is very thin.

Del Q
06-21-2012, 19:01
Lightheart SoLong

Have not used it in the field, don't have to, reputation preceeds, saved up and bought the cuben fiber version, super roomy, got zippers on both sides on tarp and doors..........like a Four Season (hotel chain not weather) tent, like 24 or whatever ounces, with my belly at 53 years old ounces are not a big issue.

"The difference between men & boys is the price of their toys".................great gear is great gear, just getting more and more expensive.

HeartFire
06-21-2012, 21:33
I have a selection of LightHeart SoLong 6 tents up for sale on the website - go to the "garage Sale" page. Most of these were made up for hiker festivals this year and these are the last few that didn't sell, Priced to move, I've already sold several of them, what ever is on the page is available, they will remain on sale until I close down for the summer so I can go hike (10 more days and counting!). Read the specs and weights on each tent.

Judy/ LightHeart Gear. www.lightheartgear.com

Del Q
06-22-2012, 20:27
Judy.......LOVE my new tent, thanks so much.

With all of the craziness in our World, there's always the woods where life is cheap, simple & wonderful.

RED-DOG
06-23-2012, 14:07
I used the Mormot EOS 1 person on this years thru used it about 80% of the time, its freestanding, very sturdy sturdy, weighs little under 2 lbs, the cost is a little exspencive at 249.00 but worth every penny of it, and i would recomend it to any body.

mmorgan
06-23-2012, 14:18
Two thumbs up for the MSR Hubba. I am a section hiker and it has never done me wrong. I can put it up and take it down in the dark. I am thinking of hanging my next time out (I have just finished a DIY hammock) but the Hubba always feels like home.

Maddog
06-23-2012, 14:22
I use the Lightheart Duo and recommend the Lightheart SoLong. It comes in cuben or silnylon. I personally don't think the weight savings with the cuben is worth the extra $$$... but that's just me. www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com)
+1 on a Lightheart tent! Maddog:)

treesloth
06-23-2012, 14:41
Another +1 on the Lightheart tent.

Judy, I just used your SoLong Cuben for a 4 day Pa section hike. I used it on the Florida Trail 6 months ago. Both times performed flawlessly. Just a bit of condensation on a 30 deg night, but that was kind of expected. All other nights were totally fine in that area.

OP, check out Judy's site. She got the real thing.

joedperk
06-23-2012, 14:44
Lightheart SoLong

Have not used it in the field, don't have to, reputation preceeds, saved up and bought the cuben fiber version, super roomy, got zippers on both sides on tarp and doors..........like a Four Season (hotel chain not weather) tent, like 24 or whatever ounces, with my belly at 53 years old ounces are not a big issue.

"The difference between men & boys is the price of their toys".................great gear is great gear, just getting more and more expensive.
Tent is light and so easy to put up... put it through 15 inches of rain in 2 days and it was hi and dry... plenty of room on inside for gear... could squeeze two people in tent if need be... but plenty of room for gear .. two doors and a with the awning plenty of storage space outside... not to mention "MADE IN THE USA" and I cant say enough about Judy and her customer service...

cabbagehead
07-12-2012, 00:01
+1 for tarp tents. I've never used one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89T1S-whsk

Has anyone else had a bad American Solitaire experience?

Drybones
07-12-2012, 18:06
I saw more, by a long shot, Tarptents on the AT this spring than any other brand. I used the Tarptent Notch and loived it. I also have the Double Rainbow which I use when hiking with my large dog. The main reson I like the Tarptent products is that they come up with new designs to make the tent lighter but not weaker and dont just use thinner walled poles. I have an REI Quarter Dome that the poles have broken twice. I'd have the same concern with BA lightweight tents as well.

vamelungeon
07-13-2012, 09:01
+1 for tarp tents. I've never used one though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89T1S-whsk

Has anyone else had a bad American Solitaire experience?

Rather than the Solitaire, the Eureka Spitfire might be a better choice from that manufacturer. I've got one, no problems with it at all, though I haven't thru hiked yet and cannot speak about it's durability on a thru.

Drybones
07-16-2012, 09:02
+1 big agnes fly creek

I'm 6'1.5" and this tent is too small for me. Thankfully I set one up at an REI store before making a purchase. Went with a TT Notch at 26oz instead and love it.

Half Note
07-18-2012, 16:51
Luckily I've had no problems with my Solitaire.

BFI
07-18-2012, 20:06
I used the Hubba 1 person and thought it was great. I'm a big guy and it had enough room for me and a few stuff sacks. My pack & boots fit under the fly vestible and if the weather was bad I'd bring my boots in. No complaints. It was also warm in the cold weather in the Smokies and with stood the weight of snow on Roan Mt.

coheterojo
07-21-2012, 19:16
I used the SMD Lunar Duo both times. Ya it's not free-standing and it has a big footprint but neither presented any insurmountable issues. I'm 6' 2" and 160 on a good day and I just love all the room I have. Plus any single wall issues are easily avoided because you're not making contact anywhere. Heck 4 people can play pinochle in there if they were so inclined. Plus there's two vestibules. The list goes on.

swjohnsey
07-29-2012, 13:44
Most popular tent on the trail is Big Agnes Flycreek UL1.

Drybones
07-29-2012, 13:51
Rather than the Solitaire, the Eureka Spitfire might be a better choice from that manufacturer. I've got one, no problems with it at all, though I haven't thru hiked yet and cannot speak about it's durability on a thru.

Agree...you'll be much happier with the Spitfire...not much heavier and much more tent. I managed to sleep myself and a 108 lb doberman in it...was tight though.

Drybones
07-29-2012, 13:52
Most popular tent on the trail is Big Agnes Flycreek UL1.

I would differ with that...I saw more Tarptents.

redfox1939
07-30-2012, 10:02
I suggest you get Black Diamond Beta Light Ultra Light Tent.The Black Diamond Beta Light tent isn't exactly a tent. It's more of a high quality tarp.You erect the Beta Light and keep it standing with your hiking poles and can then camp anywhere.It is the King of Ultralight Backpacking Tents.

Cathedral Rock (http://thehikehouse.com/trails/cathedral-rock-from-oak-creek) l Sedona Hikes (http://thehikehouse.com/)

swjohnsey
07-30-2012, 12:06
I am partial to stuff that is durable, easy to use and relatively cheap. The Fly Creek UL1 fits that bill. I have use mine about 100 days out of the last 120. Very dry in the rain, a little condensation in the foot area when it is wet out, fast to set up and strike. The second most common tent I have seen is probably the Hubba. Actual weight on my FC is a tad under 2 pounds the way I carry it which is with only a stake bag. You can get a little lighter using a tarp tent. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is made in China.