PDA

View Full Version : Pack List Help! Springer to Harpers

bert_wall
06-12-2012, 22:46
Hey guys,
Let me start by saying that the time I have spent on Whiteblaze has been so informative and I thank you for all the help that you have provided me. A couple of my friends and I are planning a section hike from Springer Mtn. to Harpers Ferry and hopefully a little beyond. I have worked out my pack to the list provided and it weighed in at around 30lbs (without water and with 3 days of food). Originally I wanted to do more stuff D.I.Y but a hectic schedule prevented me from achieving that. So, I know I am carrying some weight that could be cut if finances/time provided it. I will be leaving 6/25 heading north and would appreciate any help I could get from you guys!

Gear
Pack- Deuter Act Lite (63oz)
Bag- Sea to Summit (22oz)
Pad- Therm-a-Rest (24oz)
Tarp- Eno (22oz)
Sleep- Eno Hammock/Net (30oz)
Slings- (6oz)
Lamp- Zipka (2.5oz)
Bladder- (3liter)
Stove- Whisperlite Int'l (31.5)
Pot- Quick 2 Solo (10oz)
Fuel- (14oz)
Spork- (.5oz)
Water- AquaMira
First-Aid- (12oz)
Map- Thru-Hiker Companion (6oz)
Toiletries- (10oz)
Stuff Sac- SilNylon(x2) (11oz total)
Fire- Bic(x2)

Clothing
Long-Sleeve- Columbia (3.8oz)
Rain Shell- Arc'teryx (17oz)
-I'm thinking no rain pants?
Short- G III (8oz)
Short- Mtn Hardwear (10oz)
Socks- Fits(x2)
Undies- Exo Boxer Brief (x2)
Hat- (2oz)
Shoes- Brooks Cascadia (12oz)
Watch- Old Timex (2oz?)

I am still trying to work out a few things....mainly trying to get a hold of a Point-n-Shoot camera(funds wont allow the purchase). So, that will be added plus cell phone and charger. I was planning on using a Desani bottle for carry on purposes. I was going to try and swing it without trekking poles and had some gaiters but was wondering if you guys found them helpful or not. I only ask because the fit is a little off. Lastly what do you guys recommend for soap??...I came across some soap leaflettes (?) which were like 40 to a pack and weighed .5oz or something. Wasn't sure if anyone had given them a shot at all! Thanks in advance for any help.

Happy Trails,
Bert.

Montana AT05
06-13-2012, 01:57
Gear
Pack- Deuter Act Lite (63oz)
Bag- Sea to Summit (22oz) <-- not sure on degree rating but summer is dang hot along the AT, I carried a 40 degree bag and often just slept in a silk liner instead.
Pad- Therm-a-Rest (24oz)
Tarp- Eno (22oz)
Sleep- Eno Hammock/Net (30oz) <-- I'm a huge hammock fan. Enjoy it!
Slings- (6oz) <-- I dodn't use slings, just the hammock tie out, cause I hate trees and I hate nature.
Lamp- Zipka (2.5oz)
Bladder- (3liter)
Stove- Whisperlite Int'l (31.5) <-- consider going stoveless. You can still find plenty to eat, when other people aren't looking, kidding, I go stoveless, which means no pot or pan or fuel needed.
Pot- Quick 2 Solo (10oz) <-- if you do carry a pot, tell everyone you have pot, you'll make all the wrong friends.
Fuel- (14oz) <-- see: Stoveless
Spork- (.5oz)
Water- AquaMira <-- good idea
First-Aid- (12oz) <-- seems heavy, I carry bandaids, some form of medical tape (leukotape sticks where duct tape doesnt on my sweaty feet) and a safety pin for poppin blisters
Map- Thru-Hiker Companion (6oz) <-- you won't need maps, but if you like maps, by all means take 'em along.
Toiletries- (10oz) <-- I am a huge fan of wetwipes...seriously...they save me from chaffing, which has become my enemy number one.
Stuff Sac- SilNylon(x2) (11oz total)
Fire- Bic(x2)

Clothing
-I'm thinking no rain pants? <-- definetly drop, especially since it'll be summer. Just get wet. I never used my rain gear in summer and I walked through a lot of rain. Only time I used my rain shell (driducks) was in my hammock to add warmth
Short- G III (8oz)
Socks- Fits(x2)
Undies- Exo Boxer Brief (x2) <-- if you tend to chaff, consider nike style compression shorts, I hate chaffing, but I already mentioned that.
Hat- (2oz) <-- not required but if you like hats, by all means, bring one along
Watch- Old Timex (2oz?) <-- any old watch will do.

***********don't forget to pack several bandanas*******************

Happy Trails,
Bert.

All in all, I love talking gear--I've hiked a lot of miles in a lot of places and I still love gear talk. Some people don't and some say "If you talk gear you ain't a hiker". Well I keep my hair short and my cheeks shaved, so well, whatever.

One piece of gear that is 100% required is your mind. Your old noggin', your desire to make the whole hike, despite the ups and downs, the rain, the bugs, the heat, the humidity.

You're best gear will be a strong mind.

And Deet. Don't forget Deet.

And a gun, bring a gun, a big one, with bandoliered ammo. Ok maybe not.

moldy
06-13-2012, 09:18
I predict that you will be mailing a few items home from Neels's Gap to lighten the load. Have them examine your pack. 3 or 4 pounds will make a huge difference. You must admit that your tent/sleep system is a bit heavy. This is about a 75 day hike most of which is in July and August in the South during a drought year. You have too much clothing for this time of year. The gaiters will not be needed. You can start a fight any day of the week here at whiteblaze over walking sticks. The majority of hikers love them and won't hike without them. I think they are worthless for a bi-ped and actually cause more fall than they prevent because you trip over them. So I no longer use them.

JoshL
06-13-2012, 09:46
Your list certainly looks manageable and you can make it with what you have posted. Personally I would want to lighten my load a bit and try to get my full pack weight with food and water under 30 lbs. Unfortunately a lot of your heavy comes in your big 3, so that stuff is expensive to replace.

4 lbs for pack is a bit much. For an AT hike of that length I would want something 3 lbs or less.
The sleeping pad seems a bit heavy as well, I would look for an inflatable that is 1lb or less. Also since it is summer and you are hammock camping is a pad really necessary? (I will defer to the experts here not being a hammock camper but I thought the sleeping pad in a hammock was more just for insulation not so much comfort as the hammock is pretty comfy already)
Eno Hammocks tend to be a bit on the heavy side. Hennessy Hammocks has a couple models that with tarp and all come in at less than 2 lbs. That is probably what I would go with.

I don't really see how you could lose any clothing. The second pair of shorts isn't a necessity but it's nice to have a pair of gym shorts to throw on once you get to camp. The rain jacket is a bit heavy, you can find something that is adequate that is less than 10 oz. As far as rain pants go I doubt you will need them, although you've got to wear something on laundry day and a rain suit is usually a good thing to wear rather than standing around naked in the laundromat.

Moose2001
06-13-2012, 09:50
Bert - not a bad list for what sounds like your first long hike. I would offer a couple of suggestions. First, switch to an alcohol stove. If funds are short, you can make one yourself. There are lots of examples and directions here and on the web. You'll save yourself some weight and a lot of hassle. Second, I would disagree that you have too many clothes. You list a long sleeve shirt but no short sleeve. It's hot out there! You will appreciate a short sleeve shirt. Keep the long sleeve for those cold, rainy days. I don't see a warmth layer. Again, it gets cool at night and you'll appreciate having it. I'd dump one pair of shorts. Just wear the same ones every day.

Hiking poles, gaiters are all personal choice. Some won't hike without them. Others say they are useless. Your call on what works for you. I would agree with Moldy to ask Mountain Crossings to go through your pack with you. It's amazing how many useless things creep into your pack!

Have a great trip.

grayfox
06-13-2012, 10:43
Good advice above. Definitly look at an alcohol stove for coffee and soup and freezerbag type meals. No need to do a lot of cooking when it is so hot out but it is nice to have the option of a hot drink if you are momentarily wet and cold like after a rain or on a cool morning. Might want to start out with cold food and if you find you really miss your stove have it mailed if you can get around postal regs these days--UPS ? I would add a large but light water carrier like a Platy tank, 4L or so, because of the dry year. You can fill it when you need to but it packs small when you don't. It is a big help when water sources are not close to the trail or camp. You are out of sync with the pack so you might want to go with just a tarp and use shelters--again, you can have your heavier set up mailed to you if you want it later. I would add a cotton tee because it is more comfortable on really hot days and offers the cooling of evaporation-just remember to take it off and put your synthetic layer (that has been drying on the outside of your pack) on before the cool evening air chills you. Your pack is heavy but I bet it is comfortable for you so keep it. Hope this helps--have fun. grayfox

grayfox
06-13-2012, 10:51
PS--on the hiking pole question: Yes they are nice to have and if you have walked with them enough to know you need them and want them then take them.

BUT--you are going to the woods where there are often many good sticks lying about on the ground. If you feel you need a stick look for a light but sturdy one that is dry but not so long dead that it has lost its strength. Use it for the day and recycle it to the forest floor when you no longer need it.

flemdawg1
06-13-2012, 12:09
Hey guys,
Let me start by saying that the time I have spent on Whiteblaze has been so informative and I thank you for all the help that you have provided me. A couple of my friends and I are planning a section hike from Springer Mtn. to Harpers Ferry and hopefully a little beyond. I have worked out my pack to the list provided and it weighed in at around 30lbs (without water and with 3 days of food). Originally I wanted to do more stuff D.I.Y but a hectic schedule prevented me from achieving that. So, I know I am carrying some weight that could be cut if finances/time provided it. I will be leaving 6/25 heading north and would appreciate any help I could get from you guys!

Gear
Pack- Deuter Act Lite (63oz) Very heavy, lots of good options atleast a lb ighter.
Bag- Sea to Summit (22oz)
Pad- Therm-a-Rest (24oz) Way heavy for hammocking, look into a foam pad.
Tarp- Eno (22oz)
Sleep- Eno Hammock/Net (30oz)
Slings- (6oz)
Lamp- Zipka (2.5oz)
Bladder- (3liter)
Stove- Whisperlite Int'l (31.5) Also very heavy, look into a DIY alchy stove or a butane canister stove.
Pot- Quick 2 Solo (10oz) Are you sharing this? Much lighter cheap options available. (ie a small aluminum pot from thrift store)
Fuel- (14oz)
Spork- (.5oz)
Water- AquaMira
First-Aid- (12oz)
Map- Thru-Hiker Companion (6oz)
Toiletries- (10oz)
Stuff Sac- SilNylon(x2) (11oz total) Sounds heavy for a couple of stuff sacks. What's in them?
Fire- Bic(x2)

Clothing
-I'm thinking no rain pants?
Short- G III (8oz)
Socks- Fits(x2)
Undies- Exo Boxer Brief (x2)
Hat- (2oz)
Watch- Old Timex (2oz?)

I am still trying to work out a few things....mainly trying to get a hold of a Point-n-Shoot camera(funds wont allow the purchase). So, that will be added plus cell phone and charger. I was planning on using a Desani bottle for carry on purposes. I was going to try and swing it without trekking poles (yes, i love mine)and had some gaiters (nope not necessary) but was wondering if you guys found them helpful or not. I only ask because the fit is a little off. Lastly what do you guys recommend for soap??...I came across some soap leaflettes (?) which were like 40 to a pack and weighed .5oz or something. Wasn't sure if anyone had given them a shot at all! Thanks in advance for any help.

Happy Trails,
Bert.
For soap I used Bonner's or campsuds. For camera I normally just use my cell phone (upload pics to FB whenever in town)

q-tip
06-13-2012, 12:55
I did this walk in 2010....Trip of a lifetime, very difficult. My base weight was 19 lbs. for that trip, My current base weight for a Colorado Trail Thru is 15.5 lbs. If you would like to have an inventory of the changes I made and the weight savings, let me know,

Good Luck!!!!!!!

spanky4x4
06-13-2012, 18:16
i used the soap leaves this spring for 10 day going south from harpers ferry. they work ok, but you need 2 or 3 to work well. my pack for early may weighed 11lbs+ food and water with alot of myog so there is alot of room for weight savings. i say take what ya got and have fun!

Montana AT05
06-13-2012, 23:10
I don't use poles now--in fact I swore by them for years. Now, without them, I walk faster (if I want) and I carry less weight on my back and on my feet.

bert_wall
06-15-2012, 00:42
Thank you guys for all the help! I have decided to switch to a pocketrocket over the Whisperlite which will save some oz's and also to drop my sleeping pad for the time being. I figure if it ends up that we are shelter sleeping more than I thought I can always get it shipped to me and that would save me around 30oz. Montana AT05 I appreciate the advice on strength of mind, it is something that I know I will struggle with. Instead of Deet though, I just picked up a spray bottle of Permethrin to apply to my clothes. I have read good things and hope this will help out on this miserable tick/insect season. Any thoughts? Grayfox, I haven't heard to bring a cotton pair of clothing and it definitely sounds smart and comfy. As for the quick 2 solo, I got a deal on it from my employer but I did remove the smaller pot and just kept the larger pot, top, and handle which fits my pocketrocket inside w/spork. I purchased some Dr. Bonner's today and am hoping that it will cure my soap issues, it seems to cure about everything after reading the label ha.
Thanks again guys.

Happy Trails,
Bert.

Feral Nature
06-16-2012, 16:00
What about a med kit? Or is that in with the toiletries? or maybe I missed something.