PDA

View Full Version : Footwear for Maine in summer?

JoshAuerbach
06-13-2012, 12:08
'm not sure what type of footwear to bring to Maine in August? I have Vibrams already so I was thinking I would take them as a watershoe/campshoe but I don't want to hike in them all the way through maine haha so I'm wondering what anyone else has used?

SouthMark
06-13-2012, 12:36
Just a good fitting pair of trail runners. Stay away from Gore-tex lined. I have made all the water crossings in Maine in the same shoes I hike in. I just remove my socks and inserts, then cross, dry off feet, put inserts back in and socks back on. They walk dry unless it is raining then it doesn't matter much.

peakbagger
06-13-2012, 13:04
Unless you have ankle issues, trail runners are the way to go. I use them exclusively in the whites.

JoshAuerbach
06-13-2012, 13:53
Thanks guys. Could anyone recommend a trail runner or two that has worked well for them?

peakbagger
06-13-2012, 15:59
I have used New Balance trail runners for years. I think think the 810 AT model is the current one but you may find a 814 AT on closeout. I dont have much choice as I need size 13 4E and New Balance is just about the only brand that makes the size. One thing to keep in mind is New Balances run small, you may need to go up one size. One thing with trail runners is if you are just switching to them from boots with ankle support it takes awhile to strengthen up all the support structures of the ankled that havent had to work very hard with boots with ankle support.