PDA

View Full Version : Newb hiking SC/NC area in July

ccc32224
06-13-2012, 14:05
I am going to hike about 4 days in July. Probably mid month. I have family that will be staying at a cabin in Franklin, NC. I am looking for hiking suggestions that will make for a fairly easy drop off and pick up. Was thinking Waya -Fontana Dam, but would appreciate any suggestions. This might be a little shorter trip as i think that section should take 3 days.

What is the best book for planning my short trips (one of many 4-5 day trips to come to come). i have read enough to know what gear to have/not have and purchased gear so not looking for that type of planning.

Do the books/maps show areas to get water on the route (I have filter, etc..)?

Chicken Feathers
06-13-2012, 14:31
Have someone drop you at Winding Stair Gap right on Hwy 64(west) out of Franklin. About 4 days to Fontana Dam. As for books try AWOL Data Book

moldy
06-13-2012, 14:49
For a spectacular hike, have someone drop you off at the parking lot for Clingmans dome, then hike 3 or 4 days south to Fontana Dam. Get your shelter reservations now.

Hitchin' Post
06-13-2012, 16:22
Consider the Bartram Trail as well, if you want to avoid the crowds. It goes straight through Franklin, so you could have someone drop you off 4 days northwest of Franklin (depending on how far you hike in a day) and then you could hike straight into town to meet your family.

Rain Man
06-13-2012, 17:28
Have someone drop you at Winding Stair Gap right on Hwy 64(west) out of Franklin. About 4 days to Fontana Dam. As for books try AWOL Data Book

Agree, and if 4 days or mileage is too much, stop at Wesser, NC, where one of the Nantahala Outdoor Centers is.

Rain:sunMan