PDA

View Full Version : Trained Pygmy goat AT companion

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 15:26
After careful consideration and research I have decided to purchase a trained aggressive African Pygmy goat,from world renowned goat trainer Fernando Gustaffson in the Swiss Alps.
Very little people know how the trained Pygmy goat can be an invaluable tool on the trail.They are amazingly strong pack animals,allowing for more gear/food to be taken,with less strain on those weary muscles and joints on those long hikes.
Also,as mentioned,they are an aggressive (and intelligent) species of goat and will protect their masters to the death.They have been known to not only run off 800lb bears and full grown mountain lions with their razor sharp horns and club like hoofs,and even chase down and kill other "game"for their masters to eat,truly an amazing creature!!!
One of the more overlooked aspects of having a goat is its ability to quickly clear a camp site of excess grass or vegetation in a natural manner that most hikers can appreciate.They eat the vegetation like any other animal,so it defiantly LNT.
These goats are also known to be particularly clean animals and thus make excellent tent companions on those long,cold winter nights,not to mention the AWESOME hot chocolate you can make from its milk:jump
All in all,cant see a reason not to invest in one of these aggressive,loyal,smart,beautiful trail animals.
Thecyclops

coach lou
06-13-2012, 15:37
This is no joke. I've read a book by a Fishing writer from Montana, John Holt. He had friends who would pack for days into the sticks to fish and all there beasts of burden were different types of goats. One variety he spouted as being more loyal than dog. But.... stock animals are not allowed on the AT, are they not?

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 15:45
This is no joke. I've read a book by a Fishing writer from Montana, John Holt. He had friends who would pack for days into the sticks to fish and all there beasts of burden were different types of goats. One variety he spouted as being more loyal than dog. But.... stock animals are not allowed on the AT, are they not?

Ill have him inoculated with all of the appropriate vaccinations.Should not be a problem.

Mags
06-13-2012, 15:47
Well since pack animals aren't allowed on the AT (except for a small portion in GSMNP), we'll go with that it is a joke and move it to the humor forum. :)

Happy Trails!

peakbagger
06-13-2012, 15:50
I suspect that this should be moved to hiking humor section, but if someone were serious, they would have an interesting time with the various jurisdictions along the trail. They unfortunately can not be called "service animals" under ADA as the definition was narrowed down to only dogs in 2010.

rocketsocks
06-13-2012, 16:13
Don't forget to put a leash on it,and keep it off my sleeping bag please.oh and please remove to bell they always seem to carry,you don't want to disturb anyone....do you?incidentally I'm a huge fan of the pygmy goat,cool animal.

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 16:20
He will not have a bell,but rather a spiked collar.

Feral Bill
06-13-2012, 16:37
Bring the curry seasonings.

T.S.Kobzol
06-13-2012, 16:55
Don't piss off the goat or you're going nowhere

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

mudhead
06-13-2012, 16:58
People will call you Pan.

Cherokee Bill
06-13-2012, 17:17
Well since pack animals aren't allowed on the AT (except for a small portion in GSMNP), we'll go with that it is a joke and move it to the humor forum. :)

Happy Trails!

Yes! This has to be a JOKE! Just when at 65, I thought I had heard of everything, now goats on the AT. Hell dogs are enough of a problem on the AT ............

coach lou
06-13-2012, 17:21
Go ahead....google Pack Goats and see what you get!

WIAPilot
06-13-2012, 17:38
Sorry! Goats are not allowed on the AT! Trust me. I've already looked into every pack animal possible! :)

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 18:31
Oh no,this is not a joke.These animals will do just fine on the AT and I doubt anyone would even say anything with such a well behaved goat...And he's cute.

RedBeerd
06-13-2012, 19:23
Im allergic to dogs so I am going to look into pygmy goats to be my best friend. Always wanted a good hiking partner!

scree
06-13-2012, 19:40
Sorry! Goats are not allowed on the AT! Trust me. I've already looked into every pack animal possible! :)

If anyone asks, just tell 'em it's a dog suffering from a cutaneous horn disorder.

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 20:00
If anyone asks, just tell 'em it's a dog suffering from a cutaneous horn disorder.

See,thats what Im talking about!!! Pro-active thinking!!!
Now really,lets be honest here,which one of you would say a word to a well mannered,good-intentioned hiker and his cute,well behaved goat named "otis",if they rolled up into the shelter one evening?

Nutbrown
06-13-2012, 20:07
are these the ones that faint if you come up behind them?

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 20:12
are these the ones that faint if you come up behind them?

Faint or squeel,depending on how close you get;)

BabySue
06-13-2012, 20:19
Though the chocolate milk is a worthy idea, drinking straight from the udder would save you the weight of a cup. After all, young Zeus himself was nursed by a goat.

kayak karl
06-13-2012, 20:51
just say its a wild animal. wild animals are allowed in the woods. just know your hunting seasons:D

kayak karl
06-13-2012, 20:52
http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/CD/vh2/Goat/goat.jpg

rocketsocks
06-13-2012, 21:07
http://www.valiantfan.com/valiant/CD/vh2/Goat/goat.jpgThat's pretty funny Karl,the kid is wearing cover hols,the ladies packing heat,and the old man is obviously a minimalist,with the no shoes! definitely a typical AT family unit.

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 21:17
just say its a wild animal. wild animals are allowed in the woods. just know your hunting seasons:D

Is there a goat season on the AT?

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 21:17

+1 Funny stuff!

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 21:22
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4378811/-deadly-mountain-goat-attack/

kayak karl
06-13-2012, 21:32
weirdest abbey road pop art i ever saw. :)

kayak karl
06-13-2012, 21:33
there will be :D

WIAPilot
06-13-2012, 22:39
Oh no,this is not a joke.These animals will do just fine on the AT and I doubt anyone would even say anything with such a well behaved goat...And he's cute.

LOL I'm sure this is a joke, but on this forum you just absolutely never know. Here is the link which states "No horses, mules, burros, goats, or llamas."

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits

Can you beat that? They won't even let you take a llama!! I don't see anything about not taking a camel though! :rolleyes:

rocketsocks
06-13-2012, 23:00
Just put a dress on it,call him "Clinger"and tell em he's your little brother,then ask if they would like to see a picture of your old aunt Millie......it could work........on account of the ridiculous factor,never underestimate the power of the totally ridiculous.theres absolution in humor.

thecyclops
06-13-2012, 23:39
LOL I'm sure this is a joke, but on this forum you just absolutely never know. Here is the link which states "No horses, mules, burros, goats, or llamas."

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits

Can you beat that? They won't even let you take a llama!! I don't see anything about not taking a camel though! :rolleyes:

Here in NC,we do not have a sense of humor that we aware of...This goat shall come with me on the AT,and I shall cuddle with him on blustery nights.If anyone says anything,Ill just say I found him on the trail,and you know what the bible says about that,"Finders keepers,losers weepers".

rocketsocks
06-13-2012, 23:54
Here in NC,we do not have a sense of humor that we aware of...This goat shall come with me on the AT,and I shall cuddle with him on blustery nights.If anyone says anything,Ill just say I found him on the trail,and you know what the bible says about that,"Finders keepers,losers weepers".Tell em you found em on top of Grayson highlands,and he ate your cookies,so you cast a spell,"honey I shrunk the ponies",lots a kool-aid drinkes here will buy that.Incidentally,there's a guy here from NC,and he has a hell of a sense of humor,and he is definitely awares,yep...he is

Old Hiker
06-14-2012, 00:36
Just a few observations:

a. LNT - nope. Processed grass is still a trace, especially in piles.

b. Cabrito.

c. Just call it a "service animal". That should shut the nay-sayers up.

d. How long does goat cheese last on the Trail?

e. Long, cold winter night tent companions? Can you say, "Who's your da-a-a-a-a-a-a-ddy" ?

Old Hiker
06-14-2012, 00:40

Gotta be on the AT - lookit them white blazes!

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 00:45
Gotta be on the AT - lookit them white blazes!Right you are old hiker,good catch,and no shadows either,so solar panels won't work,it's just gotta be the AT.

Rasty
06-14-2012, 01:41
Bring the curry seasonings.

Or the fresh rosemary and garlic. Yum.

thecyclops
06-14-2012, 01:45
Just a few observations:

a. LNT - nope. Processed grass is still a trace, especially in piles.

b. Cabrito.

c. Just call it a "service animal". That should shut the nay-sayers up.

d. How long does goat cheese last on the Trail?

e. Long, cold winter night tent companions? Can you say, "Who's your da-a-a-a-a-a-a-ddy" ?

Well Im thinking if I can get the goat to haul some sort of portable churn,I could make butter and soft cheeses as needed....And whos your daddy indeed! I started to put tent"companion" but didnt wanna make it so obvious....such a loving goat.

thecyclops
06-14-2012, 01:48
Tell em you found em on top of Grayson highlands,and he ate your cookies,so you cast a spell,"honey I shrunk the ponies",lots a kool-aid drinkes here will buy that.Incidentally,there's a guy here from NC,and he has a hell of a sense of humor,and he is definitely awares,yep...he is

Love it!!!!

thecyclops
06-14-2012, 01:53
I did forget to mention that the trail pygmy goat,although smart and mean at times,is rendered near use less for protection in Texas and South America due to the goats natural enemy and predator,the chupa cabra,or "goat sucker" being in such high abundance.Caution is strongly advised in these areas.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 02:11
I did forget to mention that the trail pygmy goat,although smart and mean at times,is rendered near use less for protection in Texas and South America due to the goats natural enemy and predator,the chupa cabra,or "goat sucker" being in such high abundance.Caution is strongly advised in these areas.Well I don't now about any chupacbrare,but I'd keep a close eye coming through the smokies,cause Damn,and when you get to bone dry NJ in the summer,you could probably charge $5 for just a sip off the ol' teat,maybe more!

Elder
06-14-2012, 10:38
Cabrito!

Excellant barbeque!

Whack-a-mole
06-14-2012, 11:56
He just wants to bring a goat cause his girlfriend is too busy to go!

thecyclops
06-14-2012, 13:43
He just wants to bring a goat cause his girlfriend is too busy to go!
What happens on the AT,stays on the AT...

thecyclops
06-14-2012, 13:46
Cabrito!

Excellant barbeque!

Por favor no cocinar la cabra!

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 14:09
Not for nothing,but it really doesn't matter what we call ourselves,we are what the people call us, ..................."Goat Roper"don't make you a bad guy....But I like the name "Cyclops" better.

Dances with Mice
06-14-2012, 14:15
Would a male goat in the mountains be a hill billy?

Feral Bill
06-14-2012, 14:54
Por favor no cocinar la cabra! Lo siento mucho, pero la cabra es delicioso.

kayak karl
06-14-2012, 14:56
What happens on the AT,stays on the AT...
ewe said it!

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 15:05
ewe said it!

What happens on the AT,stays on the AT...I hear what your sayin,but the journals tell different stories,they are filled with indiscretions.Can't people just keep it close to the vest,"Loose Lips sink ships";)I'd never report some of the crap I've read,Dammmmm,some folks is crazy.

perrymk
06-14-2012, 15:30

That dude should not be walking barefoot behind a goat. Don't ask me how I know this.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 15:44
Oh,and look someone defaced the blazes,that ain't right.

thecyclops
06-14-2012, 16:27
Straight from the ATC website...

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 16:36
Straight from the ATC website...
16289Does that mean the goat goes both ways?

Pony
06-14-2012, 17:17
All kidding aside, yeah I know, pun intended. I met a guy in Monson in 2010 who's trail name was Goat Man. Supposedly he got this trail name by hiking with a goat in Tennessee I think. Nice guy, he was getting off the trail and gave me a ton of food. Anybody know this guy or if this is true?

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 17:34
Not for nothing,but it really doesn't matter what we call ourselves,we are what the people call us, ..................."Goat Roper"don't make you a bad guy....But I like the name "Cyclops" better.

Unfortunately for the goat, it sounds like his name might possibly need to be changed to "Goat Raper."

scree
06-14-2012, 17:34
All kidding aside, yeah I know, pun intended. I met a guy in Monson in 2010 who's trail name was Goat Man. Supposedly he got this trail name by hiking with a goat in Tennessee I think. Nice guy, he was getting off the trail and gave me a ton of food. Anybody know this guy or if this is true?

Don't know about that guy, but when I was younger people called me Goatman. Didn't have anything to do with my choice of pack animal.

Whack-a-mole
06-15-2012, 11:36
The three biggest lies in NC:
My truck's paid for.
I won this belt buckle.
Honest officer, I was just trying to help this goat over the fence......

SassyWindsor
06-15-2012, 11:58
Lo siento mucho, pero la cabra es delicioso.

Yo prefiero una cabra a un perro!

rocketsocks
06-15-2012, 13:21
Yo prefiero una cabra a un perro!Translation;throw another goat on the fire.And please pass the mint jelly.

thecyclops
06-16-2012, 11:18
Translation;throw another goat on the fire.And please pass the mint jelly.

No mint jelly today sir,the only thing my dear goat tastes good with is humble pie!!!

sweeper
06-16-2012, 11:33
hope you finish up before deer hunting season

thecyclops
06-16-2012, 13:16
hope you finish up before deer hunting season

He wears a "hunter orange" pack and a day-glo head lamp.