PDA

View Full Version : What to add to Lentils?

Slo-go'en
06-13-2012, 17:07
:-? A friend of mine suggested eating lentils on the trail. Thier high in proten, fiber, potassium and iron. I just tried cooking them by first letting then soak for a bit, then boil a few minutes, let sit again for a bit and boil again. That seemed to cook them okay with a minimual amount of fuel. Not a quick meal.

The thing is thier bland and not a whole lot of calories. Only 80 for a 1/4 cup. So, any suggestions on making them tasty and bringing up the calories?

I tried a some sweet basil and oregano, which was okay. A little brown suger to sweeten it up helped a lot. Been thinking of adding a soup mix, but can't decide on what kind. Maybe adding in some pasta for the extra calories.

When it comes to cooking, I'm not a very good alchemist.

mudhead
06-13-2012, 17:10
When I eat them at home, I use salt and a healthy dose of black pepper. Then mash them.

I have tried a bunch of recipes, and this works for me.

Same nutrition as canned or dried refries.

coach lou
06-13-2012, 17:23
I will be walking in front of you, thank you.

Silent Bob
06-13-2012, 17:44
I make them with ramen noodles, diced potatoes,onions,celery, and some cabbage. I season with some oregano and salt.

Moose2001
06-13-2012, 17:50
you can buy dehydrated refried beans. A lot less work and lighter!

cricket71
06-13-2012, 17:56
I like em with some rice a bit of garlic,curry powder, sun dried tomatoes, raisins, and some salt and red pepper. you can also put em with cus-cus with all these ingredients and a foil pack of chicken or tuna, yummie..

T.S.Kobzol
06-13-2012, 18:07
I add a hardboiled egg and a decent hotdog or kielbasa. Tsp of bomgar and tsp of sugar, blacks peppers and salt

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

hikerboy57
06-13-2012, 18:27
bacon bits(in lieu of fresh bacon)

Odd Man Out
06-13-2012, 21:17
Dal Bhat is the national dish of Nepal - Lentils and Rice. I make this a lot. I add salt and lots of curry. I add chicken from a foil pouch if I want some meat. Add some olive oil to boost calories (or butter or sesame oil). Dried soup mix is a good idea. I had that idea too but haven't tried it yet. I would probably use something with lots of dehydrated vegetables. To cook mine I put everything in a pot and put it on my alcohol stove. It came boiled for a few minutes before the flame when out. I then just wrapped the pot in a dish towel and let it set for 20 minutes. It came out hot an perfectly cooked.

T.S.Kobzol
06-13-2012, 21:41
Trader Joes makes a decent lentil soup. Just heat and serve. I take it kayak camping, eat with good bread on the side.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

rocketsocks
06-13-2012, 22:02
I'm thinkin Spam would go well with Lentils,kinda like Black eyed peas,with a ham bone,and some meat still on it.um'um good stuff!

JJJ
06-13-2012, 22:12
Lentils are kinda my trail staple these days. Unless I'm car-campin', I fix a big batch of dal and dehydrate it. I've takin to using quinoa instead of the rice or even cous cous at the end if it needs a bit of thickening.

Hikes in Rain
06-14-2012, 06:57
Cook them up with brown rice and barley, and you have the old Appalachian Trail Mix from back in the '70's. Takes forever to cook, though.

scudder
06-14-2012, 07:14
I like them with carrots,garlic,onion,sausage, and lots of cayenne and cumin.

Another Kevin
06-14-2012, 08:45
I like using lentils and rice as a base for curries, like http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/mango-chicken-curry-over-lentils-and-rice (http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/mango-chicken-curry-over-lentils-and-rice)or rolled in tacos like http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/lentil-soft-tacos. I've no association with that site, but I've tried both of those on the trail and liked them.

Sorry if the recipes are too complicated, I'm just a clueless weekender.

fiddlehead
06-14-2012, 09:17
Dal Bhat is the national dish of Nepal - Lentils and Rice. I make this a lot. I add salt and lots of curry. I add chicken from a foil pouch if I want some meat. Add some olive oil to boost calories (or butter or sesame oil). Dried soup mix is a good idea. I had that idea too but haven't tried it yet. I would probably use something with lots of dehydrated vegetables. To cook mine I put everything in a pot and put it on my alcohol stove. It came boiled for a few minutes before the flame when out. I then just wrapped the pot in a dish towel and let it set for 20 minutes. It came out hot an perfectly cooked.

What he said^
I make lentil stew with: lentils, salt, yellow (tumeric based) curry powder (The stuff the Nepali's use), lots of garlic, carrots, onions (shallots if you can get them cheap), and water. But the only way I would do this on the trail (takes a long time to cook), is to make it at home and dehyrate it. Eat with rice like the Asian's do.
It's a good vegetarian meal. If you want, add some dehydrated hamburger.

QiWiz
06-14-2012, 11:18
From a flavor and calorie standpoint, suggest adding onions and carrots (can use dehydrated ones) and either olive oil or precooked bacon or Spam singles or summer sausage cut up.

Farr Away
06-14-2012, 12:43
Lentils are good with cheese, tomatoes, rice, carrots, spinach, onions, &/or garlic.

I make a lentil spinach stew at home that calls for some vinegar as part of the seasoning. Sounds strange - tastes amazing. (Minimus.biz has little packets of vinegar if you decide to try it on the trail.)

-FA

WhiplashEm
06-14-2012, 20:19
Lentils and curry powder go hand in hand. I just ate it for dinner. :)

Mountain Mike
06-14-2012, 20:37
Tomato powder, dried onions & chili powder. It makes a great lentil chili.

Velvet Gooch
06-14-2012, 20:38
Delicious sausage

750ml
10-01-2013, 16:43
Add coconut oil or salted butter for flavor and calories. You can also sprout them.

aficion
10-01-2013, 16:56
Add hot sauce, dehydrated onions, spam, sausage, bacon, or chicken. Curry powder or chile powder can be used instead of hot sauce if travelling light. Garlic powder and black pepper if you have it. Then add more hot sauce.

Ewok11
10-01-2013, 18:07
I make them at home casserole style with brown rice, cooked in chicken stock then sprinkled with cheese. It could easily be done at a boil in a pot if needed, just might be soupier. A bullion cube would work just as well in a pinch (which I've done) and it doesn't weigh much either. :)

perrito
10-01-2013, 18:36
Flavor it however you like and add some cooked small pasta shells. The shells are great for holding the lentils and broth.

Sent via Tapatalk

da fungo
10-01-2013, 18:42
There are some really good ideas here. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned medjara (there are alternate spellings), a Middle Eastern lentil and rice dish. There's also an Israeli version (whose name I can't recall right now) which, at least in the Northeast, is readily available in a dried, just add boiling water version under the brand name Osem.

Biggie Master
10-01-2013, 18:51
http://blip.tv/babelfish5/hungry-hammock-hanger-lentils-and-rice-5520183

QiWiz
10-01-2013, 20:09
I like lentils with carrots, onion, and garlic. Add a bit of ground tumeric too. Rice with lentil gruel on top is the staple food of Nepal. Works for the Sherpas.

marshbirder
10-01-2013, 20:14
I can't speak about on the trail, but at home I make this:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-edamame-stew-10000001860101/

lush242000
10-01-2013, 22:03
:-? A friend of mine suggested eating lentils on the trail. Thier high in proten, fiber, potassium and iron. I just tried cooking them by first letting then soak for a bit, then boil a few minutes, let sit again for a bit and boil again. That seemed to cook them okay with a minimual amount of fuel. Not a quick meal.

The thing is thier bland and not a whole lot of calories. Only 80 for a 1/4 cup. So, any suggestions on making them tasty and bringing up the calories?

I tried a some sweet basil and oregano, which was okay. A little brown suger to sweeten it up helped a lot. Been thinking of adding a soup mix, but can't decide on what kind. Maybe adding in some pasta for the extra calories.

When it comes to cooking, I'm not a very good alchemist.

Sausage if you got it. Parmesan cheese and Texas Pete always.

Sent from somewhere.

perrymk
10-02-2013, 12:59
I love lentils and there have already been a lot of good suggestions. However, what I always take with my lentils is Beano (http://www.beanogas.com). No joke. Maybe it's just me but nothing else has that much of an effect on me as do lentils.

quasarr
10-02-2013, 16:18
Don't know if this has been mentioned but red lentils usually cook quicker than the green kind.

Cookerhiker
10-08-2013, 16:37
For the trail, I'd throw in dried mixed veggies while cooking the lentils and when everything's cooked, add a Knorr packet or something similar. For lentils, my favorite would be the Parma Rosa.

http://www.knorr.com/Images/1020/1020-246056-product_suce_prm-ros_272x335.png