PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed: Father & Son hike in GA in October

Adfischer
06-13-2012, 23:03
Did a few hundred miles of the AT back when I was a kid (multiple section hikes) and now I want to take my son for a similar experience. He is 14 and an experienced camper, but inexperienced at backpacking. I would like to take him the first weekend in October. Looking for a fairly 'easy' agenda for his first AT experience. Any comments / suggestions on the agenda I am looking at below would be appreciated. We are both hammock hangers if that has any bearing.

Day 1 (5 miles) : Arrive at Amicalola Falls State Park by Noon. Hike to Len Foote Hike Inn for overnight stay.

Day 2 (4.6 miles) : Hile to the Springer Mountain Shelter. Stay overnight.

Day 3 (7.4 miles) : Hile to Hawk Mountain Shelter. Visit Long Creek Falls along the way.

Day 4 (.5 miles) : High to Hightower Gap. Shuttle back to vehicle at Amicalola Falls for return home.

Also, any recommendations for a shuttle from Hhightower Gap to Amicalola Falls?

Praha4
06-14-2012, 00:51
your itinerary looks great, especially including the Len Foote Hike Inn, I've always wanted to stay there. North GA in early October is a perfect time to hike there, that's early in the Fall color change season.

for shuttles in that area, I would call Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap, they can put you in touch with any one of several shuttle drivers in that area. I'm not sure if Cool Breeze is still working at Neels Gap, but he used to do shuttles there. If not, Winton Porter can set you up with someone else.

http://www.mountaincrossings.com/category-s/1944.htm

Lyle
06-14-2012, 07:11
I don't know your son, but based on my experience with my 14 and 15 year old nephew's first backpacking trip, he may be bored with such short mileage days. At least day 2 looks awful short to me. That age kid has virtually unlimited energy if they are reasonably active in their daily lives. Will make for some long camp stays.

Just something to keep in mind, I would take my shuttle person's phone number with me as well as a cell phone, just in case you want to expand the miles a bit.

max patch
06-14-2012, 08:05
I agree with the comment that you may have more camping time than you want. The way to avoid that is to do the shuttle first; meet your shuttler at Hightower Gap, leave your car, and go to AFSP. You can make adjustments to your hike as you go if necessary.

Hike Inn is super popular during fall weekends. Finalize your dates and make your reservations asap.

Adfischer
06-14-2012, 12:42
Ya, I hear what you all are saying on the camp time vs hike time. My son is not in the greatest shape (we are working on that!) and in the past has not been crazy about the long day hikes he has done with Scouts. Since this will be his first time doing some real backpacking I didnt want to turn him off if it becomes too much for him. I figure I would wait for the second time to start challenging and pushing him on some distance!

A slow pace will give us a chance to spend time at the Hike Inn, enjoy the view from Springer, goof off at the falls, and spend some time cooking which is something he really enjoys. The last day needs to be short since we have an 8 hour drive home.

If we want to hit the shelters, looks to me like we would need to do almost 10+ miles per day which I think would be too much. Of course if things are going well, we could always hike further.

ScoutDad
06-14-2012, 13:33
Looks a little short to me but that is really based on your sons conditioning. My son's Scout troop did the approach trail in one day back in December (mostly 11-13 year old boys). My two sons and I did Woody Gap to Springer Mountain over 3 days on Memorial Day weekend. The 5 mile day was too short even for my 9 year old son but the 10.5 was just a tad too long for my 9 year old. On the 10 mile day we stopped for 1 1/2 hours for lunch at Hawk Mountain and then another hour at Long Creek Falls. My 14 year old boy can do 15-20 in a day but he isn't typical.

I would should for Stover Creek Shelter (6 mile day) (much nicer than Spring Mountain Shelter) or Three Forks (8 mile day, nice campground) for your destination on day two.

Shorter may be better for your son though. Hope you have a great hike. We are doing Woody Gap to Hogpen Gap 6-8 October.

Adfischer
06-16-2012, 16:38
If I go ahead and hit Stove Creek Shelter on Day 1, then the next day I have to go to Gooch Mountain Shelter which is almost 11 miles. Im afraid that is just going to be too far for him. I'd like to keep it under 8 miles per day, preferably more like 6. The other challenge is getting somewhere for shuttle pickup or parked vehicle by Sunday early AM. I could always play it by ear a little more and see just how far we get. Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. Looks like in that part of the trail you are never more that 4 miles from a service road assuming they are all accessible.

MkBibble
06-16-2012, 18:32
I could always play it by ear a little more and see just how far we get.

This is what I would do. Take it easy and walk as far as the two of you want. Lots of places to get off the trail along there. Sounds like a GREAT time. Have fun!

MuddyWaters
06-16-2012, 22:22
The only thing you really have to plan, is distance to next water source and how much you will carry. Shelters are good for socializing and cooking, not so good for sleeping. You can always walk another mile to a campsite, etc.

The distance you can make depends on shape as well as pack weight. Honestly,its mostly about the weight carried. Just go as far as you can, then stop for the night. There really isnt much else to do but walk. Hiking is not camping, all you want to do at the end of the day is .......sleep.

Cozy
06-17-2012, 19:32
Hike Inn is great. We visited it the end of February and loved it. We headed up to Springer Mountain from Hike Inn the next day.

IMPORTANT: There were signs that stated that you could NOT stay at the Springer Mountain shelter because of bear problems. Make sure you contact the rangers at Amicalola Falls and ask them which shelters are open before you finalize your trip with your son. Good luck!

shelb
06-17-2012, 19:49
... My son is not in the greatest shape (we are working on that!) and in the past has not been crazy about the long day hikes he has done with Scouts. Since this will be his first time ...I didnt want to turn him off ... .
A slow pace will give us a chance to spend time .., enjoy the view ..goof off ..spend some time cooking which is something he really enjoys. ....

As a scout leader for the past 9 years, and based on what you said, you are making the right choice. As was stated, you can always go further (and what the heck...double back for the shuttle if needed).

While my 13 and 15 year old sons have done 13-20 mile days in July, they really prefer to be finished by 3:30, so they have "goof off" time. This being your son's first backpacking trip, you are wise to not risk having the experience go sour for him. Enjoy your hike AND the down time! This is a great way to spend time with your son! (perhaps, bring a deck of cards for shelter time...this is how both my boys learned to play many a different game!

Adfischer
09-26-2012, 20:30
Thanks for the advice everyone. We are making our final preparations now. Anyone have any last minute advice? Any bear problems as someone alluded to? I understand there are canister requirements further north, but not in this area - can anyone confirm?

max patch
09-26-2012, 21:56
Thanks for the advice everyone. We are making our final preparations now. Anyone have any last minute advice? Any bear problems as someone alluded to? I understand there are canister requirements further north, but not in this area - can anyone confirm?

Bear canisters are required from Jarrad Gap to Neels Gap (not in your section) and only from 3/1 to 6/1.

generoll
09-27-2012, 08:07
why limit your hike to the GA AT? if this is his first experience and you want to keep your mileage under 10, take a look at the Standing Indian loop just across the border in NC. This won't require a shuttle, has 3 shelters within it's 22 mile course as well as several campsites. By having your car at the start/finish line you can go as fast or as slow as you like.

Adfischer
09-27-2012, 08:46
I want to do the AT for mostly sentimental reasons. My father used to take me there when I was my sons age, and now I want to take him. I have many great memories of the trail and I hope he will to. We plan on making this an annual event every fall.

Sure, there are a lot easier trails logistically and many that are much closer to me but the AT holds a special place to me.

chiefduffy
09-28-2012, 05:57
Sure, there are a lot easier trails logistically and many that are much closer to me but the AT holds a special place to me.

I can surely relate to that!

Don H
09-28-2012, 07:31
Most boys can do 8 to 10 miles a day on the AT.
Make sure he's not carrying too much weight, no more than 20% of his body weight.

yellowsirocco
09-28-2012, 07:49
I want to do the AT for mostly sentimental reasons. My father used to take me there when I was my sons age, and now I want to take him. I have many great memories of the trail and I hope he will to. We plan on making this an annual event every fall.

The Standing Indian loop that they guy was talking about is part of the AT. It is actually where I take newbies for their first taste of backpacking. There is more water, easier terrain and better views than around Springer.

But your plan looks good.

Adfischer
09-28-2012, 08:44
Thanks. Another reason is he wanted to do the Hike Inn after he heard about it. He is really excited about that part of the trip (OK, I must admit I am too).

MuddyWaters
09-28-2012, 23:13
Have fun! And congratulations for getting your kid out there.

Adfischer
10-11-2012, 08:52
Hi all, wanted to thank everyone who provided advise. We had a GREAT trip and the distance was perfect. I posted a YouTube trip report if anyone is interested.

http://youtu.be/mHTssePTo2M

MkBibble
10-11-2012, 11:09
Great video; I really enjoyed it. It looks like both of you had a good trip.

Grinder
10-11-2012, 15:10
Almost everyone here thinks 10 miles a day is easy.
You are on the right track. Less is more for a first hike. It's better to think "Hey!! I could have done more" Than to say "HOLY TOLEDO!! If you ever get me back out here, it'll be too soon!"

Creek Dancer
10-11-2012, 16:10
Very, very cool! What an inspirational video, even for those of us who have done this for a while. Thanks so much for posting. I look forward to next year's video!