PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Figuring Out Alternate Trailheads

Scalawag
06-14-2012, 12:04
So a buddy and I have a JMT trip planned for July 28th. We're all geared up, have been training, figured out our resupplies and all that. One glaring problem though is our permit... We got a permit ASAP, which ended up being a few hours late to get the standard Happy Isles -> Pass Thru permit.

Not really sure what to do (we hadn't studied the maps as closely then, and the Ranger didn't seem to be in a mood to discuss it with us), we reserved a Yosemite Falls TH permit, thinking we could just do the extra miles and make our way over to the JMT. In retrospect, while a fun hike, I'm not sure this is going to work with the logistics of the rest of the trip. There are still a few permits available, so I'm confident I could switch if I needed to, but what should I do?

Are there any alternates worth starting from besides Happy Isles?

We're going to be carless, coming from the East Coast, so it'd be ideal not to have to wander around for a few days trying to get permits (and wasting time and money camping in the touristy valley).

Hole-In-The-Hat
06-15-2012, 00:12
You might see if you can get a permit to start at Tuolumne Meadows. Start at Tuolumne, and hike DOWN to Yosemite Valley. Then catch the shuttle, and resume your hike south from Tuolumne meadows.

Maybe this isn't a "pure" JMT thru-hike, but hiking down that 1st ~5400' would be much easier than up!

Cookerhiker
06-15-2012, 20:56
Adding to your dilemma is that if you don't have reservations to camp in the Valley or Tuolumne (sounds like you don't), then you have no place to stay. So bascially, you arrive in the Valley, pick up your permit, and start hiking.

I'm a bit confused about your current permit reservation; you start at Yosemite Falls but is the permit for the JMT, entering at Yosemite Falls? It's quite a circumvention to hike up from Yosmite Falls and make your way over to the JMT although it can be done but you'll end up missing the northernmost 10 miles or so of the JMT. How much of a purist are you?

Re. Hole in the Hat's recommendation, keep in mind that from the closest point of Tuolumne, it's 20.7 miles down to the Yosemite Valley and the shuttle he mentions only runs once a day, leaving the Valley about 8:30 in the morning. If you hike the entire 20.7 miles, you can do it but you'd need a place to stay that night. I'd recommend going to the campground and yogiing space from one of the campers - offer to pay a few bucks. Then get up early enough to catch the shuttle up to Tuolumne.

One possibility is getting your permit for starting at the Sunrise Lakes Trail by Tenaya Lake which is on the way to Tuolumne. This assumes you yogi a campsite, catch the shuttle, ask the driver to let you off at Tenaya Lake, hike Sunrise Lakes trail to the JMT, turn right, hike down to the Valley (18 mile day), yogi a campsite again, shuttle the next day, stop off again at Tenaya Lake, hike Sunrise Lakes trail to the JMT (5 miles), this time turn left and start the rest of your JMT thruhike. It might work.

Good luck!

Scalawag
06-15-2012, 22:37
I figure I should follow up on this.

Shortly after posting this I got some recommendations from the JMT Yahoo Group.

I called the Ranger and made these changes:

- Start at Mono Meadow Trailhead, do a short first day, camp just shy of the Panorama Cliffs (the farthest legal campsite).

- Meet the JMT on Day 2, continue through Little Yosemite Valley and onward.

Very simple solution, and will be able to scope out Glacier Point and the sunset on the first day before making camp.

wornoutboots
02-26-2013, 15:20
Shoot, that means I may have screwed up : O / I just faxed in my request to start at HI but camp the 1st night at LYV, I guess I should have put stay the 1st night at the CG?? Any thoughts? I can fly out a few days early to acclimate but I need to know where to stay those few days before I start? Sorry It may be me but the guide I have is a little confusing, it's not as simple as Appalachian Pages I have. Is there a book like that for the JMT?

Cookerhiker
02-26-2013, 15:56
Your first night is not the valley backpacker-only campground. Rather, you're entitled to spend the night before your hike at the backpacker-only campground. Your permit's first night's stay will be LYV or wherever you designate.

Yosemite Valley is only 4,000' - better than sea level but not too helpful for acclimation. I'd suggest reserving a campsite at Tuolumne Meadows for a few nights beforehand. You'll camp at 8,500' and day-hike up to 10K if you so choose. Tuolumne fills up fast but a portion of the sites are subject to first-come, first-served in which case you need to be at the reservation office early in the morning, hard to do without your own car.

There's no comparable guide to the Companion or AWOL because the trails are fundamentally different. You can obtain a lot of good info on logistics from the Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/) or elsewhere on the WB JMT forums.