PDA

View Full Version : Latest Altercation with "Joe to Go"

Pages : [1] 2

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 12:30
A few weeks ago, a thread discussed "the worst places on the AT" and quite a discussion ensued about Joe who owns JOE TO GO in NJ. Basically, a WB member who did not see the sign advertising "Water for Sale," politely asked Joe if he could fill up his water bottle. He was cussed out and sent on his way.

One of my favorite journals is by Balls and Sunshine and apparently, a few days ago, they had a run-in with Joe themselves. They bought food there and Sunshine, a little girl who just turned 12, politely asked if she could use the restroom. Joe told her that no restroom was available. Balls respectfully asked if it wasn't a health code requirement that all restaurants have public restrooms and Joe threw them out!!!

When Balls mentioned this to other local hikers, they relayed that the police absolutely hate this guy because "there is an altercation with a customer at least once a week" with this guy. This kind of makes you wonder if the hiking community shouldn't be warned about this kind of behavior? This is just my opinion, but to treat customers who patronize your establishment like this, just doesn't seem right and I think the A.T. Guide books should indicate this.

Studlintsean
06-14-2012, 12:57
I couldnt agree more. IMO, being advertised in the A.T. Data Books should be a privelage and to not offer adequete service to a hiker(s) should not earn that privelage. On the other hand, I am sure many here will tell you how great of a guy he is.

brian039
06-14-2012, 13:20
I remember this guy. I couldn't tell if he was just a jerk or had some kind of mental problem. There's a golden opportunity if somebody wanted to open a coffee shop right next door.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 14:19
"uh oh......joe explode" what a D---

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 14:29
Turning a young girl away who asks to use the rest room,is just unconscionable,and for good reason.He no longer gets the benefit of my doubt,and I don't feel the need to see for myself,Damn shame,he's gotta have a loose screw,maybe even two.However,I maintain that placing him in a book,is not a good idea,and may be grounds for some stupid law suit,why allow him to show that his business failed because of being placed in a guide book,stranger things have happened.word of mouth should do it.Why put him in a book at all,seems excommunication of the trail people is what he wants,so why not just give him that,No Business.just my two cents and in my humble opinion.

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 18:22
Turning a young girl away who asks to use the rest room,is just unconscionable,and for good reason.He no longer gets the benefit of my doubt,and I don't feel the need to see for myself,Damn shame,he's gotta have a loose screw,maybe even two.However,I maintain that placing him in a book,is not a good idea,and may be grounds for some stupid law suit,why allow him to show that his business failed because of being placed in a guide book,stranger things have happened.word of mouth should do it.Why put him in a book at all,seems excommunication of the trail people is what he wants,so why not just give him that,No Business.just my two cents and in my humble opinion.

I agree and I totally believe as stated above that being in the AT Data book is a privilege and is essentially free advertising for the businesses.

Jeff
06-14-2012, 18:30
I agree and I totally believe as stated above that being in the AT Data book is a privilege and is essentially free advertising for the businesses.

I believe Joes to Go is no longer in ALDHA's Companion.

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 18:44
Joe-To-Go - (973) 948-2522

15 Us Highway 206 S, Sandyston, NJ 07826

YELP
http://www.yelp.com/biz/joe-to-go-sandyston

Yahoo

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-33316873R-joetogo-i

Says Larry E Price is the owner.

Winds
06-14-2012, 18:57
Joe's got a new problem which might be far worse than his failing attitude - because Kathy is on the case!

Go Kathy!
:)

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 19:00
WIA pilot - one has to ask if "water is for sale" I would be inclined to think that's - bottled water - not spigot. And yes a gas station is required to have a public toilet, as a deli... most likely wasn't clean.
16291This little place?

How about 50 yards past this place to Gyps Tavern?
Gyp's Tavernmore info (https://maps.google.com/local_url?q=https://plus.google.com/101031405148368425909/about%3Fgl%3Dus%26hl%3Den&dq=Gyp%27s+Tavern&ie=UTF8&cid=1821797199672063526&iwloc=A&gl=US&hl=en&s=ANYYN7n9H15mePxoUV9z0VOJ52EJvYGVZw&dtab=2)‎
25 US Highway 206 S
Sandyston, NJ 07826

(973) 948-5013

A Google User reviewed 11 months agoOverall 3 / 3
Hung out here one morning while taking a break off the Appalachian Trail. This place is low key and totally great for just chilling. We sat out back and had a beautiful view of the lake and had ice cold beers seconds after ordering. Didn't have the food but will be dropping by again when in the area to hang out some more!
Liked: Service, Atmosphere, Value

A Google User reviewed a year agoOverall 3 / 3
Liked: Food, Service, Atmosphere, Value, Jerky, Yuengling, and totally low key. Great selection on the jukebox!

verasch
06-14-2012, 19:06
If you really want to hurt some business that wrongs you, the best place to do it is online these days. Yelp is a great tool to use in order to smite a business. Once the stars drop below 3 stars, less people will frequent the place.

Does it cost money to advertise in the companion?

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 19:12
WIA pilot - one has to ask if "water is for sale" I would be inclined to think that's - bottled water - not spigot. And yes a gas station is required to have a public toilet, as a deli... most likely wasn't clean.

I believe the "bottled water" was in milk jugs?? Maybe someone can clarify this?? The point is that the hiker honestly didn't see that water was for sale and certainly did not deserve this type of response from "Joe." Guess his real name is Larry Price. Other hikers have stated that he does not allow customers to use the restrooms as well so it was not a matter of the restroom not being clean. And perhaps some AT hikers might have trashed the restrooms in trying to clean up and perhaps been less than good about cleaning up after themselves. I don't know if this occurred, but can imagine this scenario. However, I do think that this is all a part of owning a restaurant or deli business.

4Bears
06-14-2012, 19:15
This guy's attitude with people is pretty classic of getting calls from creditors and suppliers. He is so wound up from trying to make his business run that he ends up killing it with a bad demeanor. He most likely won't be open much longer. IMHO

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 19:16
If you really want to hurt some business that wrongs you, the best place to do it is online these days. Yelp is a great tool to use in order to smite a business. Once the stars drop below 3 stars, less people will frequent the place.

Does it cost money to advertise in the companion?Advertising,now thats a whole nother animal,nothing wrong with advertising......

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 19:22
This guy's attitude with people is pretty classic of getting calls from creditors and suppliers. He is so wound up from trying to make his business run that he ends up killing it with a bad demeanor. He most likely won't be open much longer. IMHO

This guy has been like this for years. Also, I'm almost positive that the companion and AT Data book do not receive any advertising fees for including businesses in their books,

TD55
06-14-2012, 19:26
So you people would destroy a persons business and way to earn a living with the use of your "power" on and with the internet just because they don't let you take a sink bath and crap in the store or serve coffee you don't like or otherwise seem hostile to hikers?

WingedMonkey
06-14-2012, 19:33
The AT Data Book does not list any places of business.

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 19:40
So you people would destroy a persons business and way to earn a living with the use of your "power" on and with the internet just because they don't let you take a sink bath and crap in the store or serve coffee you don't like or otherwise seem hostile to hikers?

Honest - most of the time I take the time to drive out and check it out and hike the trail. Most of the time it doesn't ring or pan out true... but a coffee shop with a bad attitude? who cares.

This is America - The press can make you a hero one day and tear you down the next... you see it all the time.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 19:43
Yep,that'd have to be some real exceptionally great coffee for me to put up with his crap,and still I might spill it on the way out the door.

John B
06-14-2012, 19:45

Is that what the original post said? That it's all about a bad cup of coffee and not being allowed to take a sink bath and a crap? That's what you got from the first post?

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 19:47
No he's replying to my post with Yelp and Yahoo... apparently I am wwwaayy out of line here.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 19:51
Wow,this thread is ripe for explosion,lets all just count to ten 987654321 Boom

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 19:55
I don't think so... The last time this happened was a couple years back with the Ye Olde Backpacker.... Hot debate, and unfounded.

TD55
06-14-2012, 20:03
Is that what the original post said? That it's all about a bad cup of coffee and not being allowed to take a sink bath and a crap? That's what you got from the first post?
NO, that's not what I got.

verasch
06-14-2012, 20:06
Actually, I think he was referring to my post.

But either way, yes, I would seek out to destroy a business if the business owner was being a tool to me for no legitimate reason. C'mon, there's a difference between dropping trou in the john and taking a bird bath. Especially if I patronize said bathroom.

There are numerous businesses out there who feel like they are gods given gifts to humanity and treat customers like crap. Posting an honest review somewhere is normal, and businesses need to be aware of that.

ChinMusic
06-14-2012, 20:10
Some Trail Journals seem to have a lot of such drama. Is it really that common? I have never experienced that stuff.

Velvet Gooch
06-14-2012, 20:28
...a lot of such drama. Is it really that common?

This thread needs more tobacco and firearms. No apologies

Lone Wolf
06-14-2012, 20:30
A few weeks ago, a thread discussed "the worst places on the AT" and quite a discussion ensued about Joe who owns JOE TO GO in NJ. Basically, a WB member who did not see the sign advertising "Water for Sale," politely asked Joe if he could fill up his water bottle. He was cussed out and sent on his way.

One of my favorite journals is by Balls and Sunshine and apparently, a few days ago, they had a run-in with Joe themselves. They bought food there and Sunshine, a little girl who just turned 12, politely asked if she could use the restroom. Joe told her that no restroom was available. Balls respectfully asked if it wasn't a health code requirement that all restaurants have public restrooms and Joe threw them out!!!

When Balls mentioned this to other local hikers, they relayed that the police absolutely hate this guy because "there is an altercation with a customer at least once a week" with this guy. This kind of makes you wonder if the hiking community shouldn't be warned about this kind of behavior. At the very least, health inspectors should perhaps be informed that although he may have a restroom on the premises, patrons are not allowed to use it. This is just my opinion, but to treat customers who patronize your establishment like this, just doesn't seem right and I think the A.T. Data books should indicate this.
no, the "hiker community doesn't need to be warned" about this place and it should be kept in any and all guides. it's a place that offers food and drink along the trail. authors of such guides need to stay neutral. lotta whinin' goin' on here. suck it up and walk

verasch
06-14-2012, 20:35
I dunno. I'd rather people vent here than out there.

Really, this is no different than article authors recommending to skip entire towns with nothing more than the notion that such and such a town isn't worth it.

TD55
06-14-2012, 20:36
... yes, I would seek out to destroy a business if the business owner was being a tool to me....
Judge, jury and executioner. Says a lot about you. Some person angers you over some petty misunderstanding or because of your perception of a situation and you are ready to take away that persons livelihood.

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 20:38
Well I agree with that.... I was talking about LW's Post

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 20:46

Listen to yourself. There is a BIG difference between maliciously spreading false lies and telling the truth. This business owner will not let hikers use the restroom (which is probably a health code violation); and he apparently IS "hostile" to hikers if he cussing and throwing them out! And if someone thinks his coffee isn't great, they should certainly have the right to give their opinion. There is a big difference between using the power of the Internet to state what kind of service you have received and how you have been treated and simply trying to maliciously trash someone's reputation. This is not a "witch hunt." Hikers are simply stating that this man does not provide the best customer service. Now if police complaints were subpoenaed as well, this would obviously back up public opinion.

verasch
06-14-2012, 20:51
Judge, jury and executioner. Says a lot about you. Some person angers you over some petty misunderstanding or because of your perception of a situation and you are ready to take away that persons livelihood.

So you're telling me you've never written a review about some lick of gear, some restaurant you went to or some experience you had? Or when people go to a part of town that has unsavory elements, you just keep to your self at the risk of offending whoever's out there? If your phone company over charges you, and you come to find out that they've been doing it a lot, do you just sit back and say, "Well, it's owned by someone so therefore it's important I don't take their livelihood." I'd say that says a lot about you.

I'm sorry. I don't. Now, if I say, I had a bad experience at some place, it's still up to you to say, "I value that opinion" or not. There are plenty of people out there trying to make a living doing something, and part of making a living (in my opinion) is the service that it comes with. That's what I'm saying.

But to each their own I suppose.

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 20:53
The AT Data Book does not list any places of business.

I'm sorry. I was referring to the A.T. Guide book by AWOL Miller. Have it stuck in my head that it's the Data Book! Apologies!

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 21:05

Bob you have been here a long time. Why the drama? IF you had a bad meal at Dogfish in Rehoboth you would send it back or not go in again... isn't that affecting ones livelihood? This is more of a point of discussion. This is about bad service and poor judgment on the part of a curmudgeon owner who cannot make a cup of coffee, or be sociable.

Don H
06-14-2012, 21:11
I don't think they need to provide restrooms to customers unless they allow customers to eat in, Joe's is a carry out only establishment.

However for future reference the bathroom is located behind the door marked "Office" in the back right corner. Larry does allow regular customers to use the facilities, which is his choice I guess. Still it's very uncool to not allow a little girl to us the bathroom.

He does make a great sandwich though.

scree
06-14-2012, 21:17
No toilets at a coffee shop? Stuff runs right through me.

TD55
06-14-2012, 21:26
Bob you have been here a long time. Why the drama? IF you had a bad meal at Dogfish in Rehoboth you would send it back or not go in again... isn't that affecting ones livelihood? This is more of a point of discussion. This is about bad service and poor judgment on the part of a curmudgeon owner who cannot make a cup of coffee, or be sociable.
Well, because these thread often degenerate into ugly bashing. No problem with the OP or people giving opinions or making us aware of poor service, lousy meal, etc. Agree it is sad that someone would not allow a kid to use the restroom. When it is suggested that perhaps an internet attack be made by the use of review sites by cyber hikers that have never been to the business or some one makes the comment they they will seek to destroy a business, over what amounts to a trivial dispute, well, no offense, but I find that to be disgusting behavior.

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 21:33
Ok can we as a group just hash it out? and "Cyber attacks" are rarely effective. In fact on one trip to the Pocono's one Yelp page had an opposite affect. It kept the young out.

Restaurant Bathroom Requirements

All Services (http://www.nyc.gov/apps/311/allServices.htm?requestType=Navigation&intentId=E9E66310-8137-11DE-8E9F-96DAE110FEB8) > Business & Finance (http://www.nyc.gov/apps/311/allServices.htm?requestType=levelOne&levelOneId=B0AB8D90-078A-11DE-AC9C-EF5AFBC474DE&intentId=E9E66310-8137-11DE-8E9F-96DAE110FEB8) > Business Assistance (http://www.nyc.gov/apps/311/allServices.htm?requestType=levelTwo&levelOneId=B0AB8D90-078A-11DE-AC9C-EF5AFBC474DE&levelTwoId=B0AB8D90-078A-11DE-AC9C-EF5AFBC474DE-0&intentId=E9E66310-8137-11DE-8E9F-96DAE110FEB8) > Information & Rules (http://www.nyc.gov/apps/311/allServices.htm?requestType=levelThree&levelOneId=B0AB8D90-078A-11DE-AC9C-EF5AFBC474DE&levelTwoId=B0AB8D90-078A-11DE-AC9C-EF5AFBC474DE-0&levelThreeId=B0AB8D90-078A-11DE-AC9C-EF5AFBC474DE-0-2&intentId=E9E66310-8137-11DE-8E9F-96DAE110FEB8) > Restaurant Bathroom Requirements

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/apps/threeoneone/site_launch/img/title_line.gif

The City accepts reports about any food establishment with 20 or more seats that has no toilet and was established after 1977. These establishments must provide toilets for their patrons. Food establishments that have been in operation since 1977 or before are exempt from this requirement.

Food establishments with 19 or fewer customer seats are not required to provide bathroom access to the public.

Food establishments are not required to allow public access to their employee toilets. Patrons are not permitted to use any toilets where the patron must walk through the kitchen or any food storage or food preparation area.

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/apps/threeoneone/site_launch/img/arrow.gif
Call 311 to report a restaurant with 20 or more seats that has no toilet and was established after 1977.

Copyright 2012 The City of New York

MuddyWaters
06-14-2012, 21:36

Report the facts, and just the facts, and let the chips fall where they may. I personally wouldnt give business to an establishment that treated me or most others badly if I had a choice, and neither would most people.

The only person who is destroying the business.....is the owner. There is nothing wrong with publicizing facts, just be sure you have them right.

MrMiner2
06-14-2012, 21:40
Just leave him be mean. And just spread the word not to deal with him. Not necessarily in a book

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 21:53
Thanks Owl. OK - so he doesn't have to legally allow hikers to use his restroom. Still, maybe said hikers need to be aware of this before spending their money at his business. And for the record, I personally would not write a bad review for this establishment if I had not been there. However, we are hearing from numerous hikers (some that I know quite well) that his customer service is less than stellar.

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 22:00
Well that was the fasted lookup I could find... its for NYC. NJ is most likely similar... doesn't matter he's a jerk even a WaWa without a bathroom would let a guy in with a child.

On the other hand I got dealt a blow last month with a gas station near the turnpike at Fort Washington. The manager refused the bathroom to me. That was in clear view... One of the few times I got a dose of racism. It just going to happen. Yea I am giving a summary.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 22:04
I'm glad you brought this last incident to the body Kathy,I'm done with wasting anymore time on this fella.Done.talking or typing.he no longer exists in my world...period!

Rain Man
06-14-2012, 22:12
So you people would destroy a persons business and way to earn a living ...?

The only person who is destroying the business.....is the owner. There is nothing wrong with publicizing facts, just be sure you have them right.

I've got to agree with MuddyWaters ... and not with TD55's absurd hyperbole. Reporting a bad experience does not "destroy a person's business." It would take a lot of those. And generating a lot of reports of bad experience would be the person destroying his own business.

Don't blame the victims.

Rain Man

P.S. I am talking about people reporting THEIR OWN experiences, and not posting on review sites such stuff as rumors and gossip and hearsay.

Miner
06-14-2012, 22:22
I remember when I was thru-hiking the PCT through the high sierra. Several people had bashed Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR) online talking about bad service, bad food, anti-hiker, etc. And yet, I had a great time there, as did most hikers I talked to. A couple of bad journal posts isn't enough for everyone to conclude a place should be avoided like the plague. I'll stop by in a few months on my AT SOBO hike and let you know what I find in my online journal. :cool:

rainmaker
06-14-2012, 22:36
This may not be well received but when my wife and I were there a couple of years ago Joe already had the reputation but served us some of the best breakfast sandwichs we had ever eaten. He was pretty busy that morning with regulars so I told him to wait on them first as we had all day and asked if he had a restroom we could use to wash our hands. He said sure, just open the office door. One thing he was serious about though and that was to not leave your packs by the door. There was a bench on the side of the building for hikers. As for his attitude, I wouldn't say it was overly friendly but as a Southerner most Northern accents don't seem overly friendly. Just my opinion.

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 22:36
The reason that I passed this info along was for one purpose only: A few weeks ago, I was involved in a lively discussion on this particular business because a hiker had related in the thread what transpired when he had asked for water. I gave my thoughts on the subject. When I read about Balls and Sunshine's experience that mirrored the same treatment, I felt that it was appropriate in the context of the previous discussion.

rainmaker
06-14-2012, 22:39
Just one more thing, hikers thinking they can hurt his business are clearly delusional. The man makes a living serving locals who based on the number of years he has been open must enjoy his sandwiches and his coffee.

WIAPilot
06-14-2012, 22:39
This may not be well received but when my wife and I were there a couple of years ago Joe already had the reputation but served us some of the best breakfast sandwichs we had ever eaten. He was pretty busy that morning with regulars so I told him to wait on them first as we had all day and asked if he had a restroom we could use to wash our hands. He said sure, just open the office door. One thing he was serious about though and that was to not leave your packs by the door. There was a bench on the side of the building for hikers. As for his attitude, I wouldn't say it was overly friendly but as a Southerner most Northern accents don't seem overly friendly. Just my opinion.

Actually, I personally believe in both the good and the bad being presented. I do not have a "personal vendetta" against this man at all. It is good to know that he can be civil to hikers ​at times.

verasch
06-14-2012, 22:48
Apparently I need to clarify my original post. If you want to hurt someone's business, you can do it on yelp, but obviously you should be the one experiencing the review. I'm a little annoyed that this wasn't obvious, rather making it looked like I was trying to start a revolt against some poor shmuck out there.

But, alas, the interwebs are a series of tubes, and some get narrower passage than others I guess.

ChinMusic
06-14-2012, 22:50
After this thread and the talk of the great sandwiches, I got this place INKED-IN. I'll just pee in the woods before getting there.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 22:57
Apparently I need to clarify my original post. If you want to hurt someone's business, you can do it on yelp, but obviously you should be the one experiencing the review. I'm a little annoyed that this wasn't obvious, rather making it looked like I was trying to start a revolt against some poor shmuck out there.

"But, alas, the interwebs are a series of tubes, and some get narrower passage than others I guess".I put some quotes on that,hope you don't mind....that pretty good!

verasch
06-14-2012, 23:08
Thanks. Every now and then I say something while sober that actually makes sense.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 23:10
Thanks. Every now and then I say something while sober that actually makes sense.
Me Too!...........

Slo-go'en
06-14-2012, 23:34
When I stopped by Joe's with a few others in '08, we were forwarned. Therefore, we followed the rules - left the packs outside on the hiker bench next to the building, bought a sandwich and drink and had no trouble. It was like the "Soup Nazi" episode on Sinfeld. I don't care how rude the guy can be, any place right on the trail that I can buy food at, I'm there :)

BTW, a couple of guys went down the street a little ways and found a bar open (this was maybe 10 AM on a Sunday!). They got thier water bottles filled there with no hassels. I guess after they spent a few hours drinking on a Sunday morning, the bar tender figured what the heck.

BigHodag
06-14-2012, 23:50
Joe's was closed when I went through last May. I ate at Kevin's Steakhouse just down the street. The two waitresses were extremely nice and they maintain a hiker log. Got my water bottle filled easily. Could take my pack inside and set beside me on the floor. Got to use the men's room too. Highly recommend the French Onion soup for hikers as its salty and loaded with cheese. Only problem is Kevin's opens at 4 p.m. and food isn't available for about a half-hour as they all literally open the doors and start turning on equipment at 4.

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 00:02
Joe's was closed when I went through last May. I ate at Kevin's Steakhouse just down the street. The two waitresses were extremely nice and they maintain a hiker log. Got my water bottle filled easily. Could take my pack inside and set beside me on the floor. Got to use the men's room too. Highly recommend the French Onion soup for hikers as its salty and loaded with cheese. Only problem is Kevin's opens at 4 p.m. and food isn't available for about a half-hour as they all literally open the doors and start turning on equipment at 4.

Thanks so much for letting us know of an alternative! Sounds like night and day in terms of service!

ChinMusic
06-15-2012, 00:10
Service?

There was a reason the Soup Nazi had a line a mile long......................THE FOOD.

fiddlehead
06-15-2012, 01:02
What a lot of hikers don't realize is that they are not always welcome.

My cousin is married to the niece of someone who had a business on the trail and, although is aunt loved hikers, he and his wife had to work there sometimes.
They hated hikers. (not the owner, she loved them, as she was a lonely old lady and loved hearing their stories)
Reasons: mostly they smell bad. Real bad.
THey insist on keeping their smelly packs inside where they can see them, stinking up the whole place.
They demand things. (like duct tape, alcohol wipes, chlorox, paper and pencil, just to name a few)
And expect to be babied with attention.
They rarely leave appropriate tips. (sometimes none)
They blocked up the toilet from time to time and rarely reported it or cleaned up their mess. (OK maybe not rarely but, different than normal customers)

Not all of course, but, I think you catch my drift here.

I told him that he needs to go for a hike himself to see what is like.
He said: "No way!" His mind was made up. He didn't like hikers and it would take a lot to change his mind.

Perhaps this Larry guy has similar thoughts.
You can't blame him till you walk in his shoes (and clean a few toilets that hikers have blocked up)

anyway: any publicity is going to make others check it out.
If you really hate the guy, don't go there.
Sounds like there are other options available nearby.

Rain Man
06-15-2012, 09:27
What a lot of hikers don't realize is that they are not always welcome. ...

I sure as heck agree, but it seems according to some in this thread, no one is allowed to report truthful negative experiences. (I don't agree with that at all, just to be clear.)

I say, be it hikers or a business, REPORT exceptional or lousy instances that one observes first-hand, ... but be extremely cautious about spreading hearsay about anyone.

Rain Man

P.S. I'm not slamming the OP, lest anyone misconstrue.

MyName1sMud
06-15-2012, 16:30
He won't be getting my business.

EDIT*** When people talk trash about someone.... 9 times out of 10 there is a reason.

I'm going to avoid him so I don't have to have a reason.

MyName1sMud
06-15-2012, 16:35
When I stopped by Joe's with a few others in '08, we were forwarned. Therefore, we followed the rules - left the packs outside on the hiker bench next to the building, bought a sandwich and drink and had no trouble. It was like the "Soup Nazi" episode on Sinfeld. I don't care how rude the guy can be, any place right on the trail that I can buy food at, I'm there :)

BTW, a couple of guys went down the street a little ways and found a bar open (this was maybe 10 AM on a Sunday!). They got thier water bottles filled there with no hassels. I guess after they spent a few hours drinking on a Sunday morning, the bar tender figured what the heck.

Drinking on a Sunday morning?????

SUNDAY FUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!

Cookerhiker
06-15-2012, 17:09
I remember when I was thru-hiking the PCT through the high sierra. Several people had bashed Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR) online talking about bad service, bad food, anti-hiker, etc. And yet, I had a great time there, as did most hikers I talked to. A couple of bad journal posts isn't enough for everyone to conclude a place should be avoided like the plague. I'll stop by in a few months on my AT SOBO hike and let you know what I find in my online journal. :cool:

The only complaints I heard about VVR - and they were few - was from cheapskate hikers who expected prices like Motel 6, McD's, and WalMart. I had a postive experience there and will hit it again this year.

Monkeywrench
06-15-2012, 17:28

Stopped there one morning on my '09 thru-hike. As you can see from the photo, there were a bunch of us there. Bought a sandwich and a drink, and hung out outside for a while enjoying them. The proprietor did ask us not to sit on the parking curbs in front of the store but to use the bench on the side. Can't say he was overly friendly, but he sold me what I asked for so have no complaints myself.

I can imagine it could be annoying to his regular customers to stop in during thru-hiker season and have to wait for a dozen hikers to be waited on first. I can further imagine it can sour the proprietor's attitude to have his regular bread-and-butter customers get annoyed, rightly or wrongly.

I'm not saying this invalidates anybody else's experience there, just sharing my own.

Pedaling Fool
06-15-2012, 17:40
I've never been to this place, so can't say one thing or the other. But I got two observations that probably fit here: 1. There's somewhat of a mob-mentality when people get together and start talking about an establishment that they dislike and along with that stories can get a little overblown. 2. I've seen thru-hikers come into establishments before being noisy and such as if they're trying to gain attention from everyone there. And they can get really loud talking about "trail stories", as if they want the entire place to hear their "great adventures". Throw in with that some entitlement attitude and I can see how some who are subjected to this on a regular basis can grow sick of thru-hikers.

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 17:54
I've never been to this place, so can't say one thing or the other. But I got two observations that probably fit here: 1. There's somewhat of a mob-mentality when people get together and start talking about an establishment that they dislike and along with that stories can get a little overblown. 2. I've seen thru-hikers come into establishments before being noisy and such as if they're trying to gain attention from everyone there. And they can get really loud talking about "trail stories", as if they want the entire place to hear their "great adventures". Throw in with that some entitlement attitude and I can see how some who are subjected to this on a regular basis can grow sick of thru-hikers.

This is what we were hearing and thinking in the first post. Many were giving this guy the benefit of a doubt and LOL let's just say that the discussion became quite lively. And then I came across Ball's journal where this incident just occurred. Now I know Eric (Balls). Not real well, but enough to know that he isn't going to exaggerate or make this stuff up. Fact: A little 12-yr old paying customer was denied access to the restroom. And according to Balls, the locals have said that there have been numerous altercations with customers there. The guy threw Eric and Sunshine out! I am not trying to be malicious or gossipy, but I think thru hikers have the right to know these things and then make their own judgment as to whether they want to eat there or not.

TD55
06-15-2012, 18:11
I've got to agree with MuddyWaters ... and not with TD55's absurd hyperbole. Reporting a bad experience does not "destroy a person's business." It would take a lot of those. And generating a lot of reports of bad experience would be the person destroying his own business.

Don't blame the victims.

Rain Man

P.S. I am talking about people reporting THEIR OWN experiences, and not posting on review sites such stuff as rumors and gossip and hearsay.

I agree. I respect your opinions and post, as I respect those of Wise Old Owl. I admire the way some posters can make their point with only a little bit of words. Me, I have difficulty with that. Use to many words and don't make my point. Eric Burden singing "Lord, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" comes to mind. The hyperbole was just a way to change the tone and direction from bashing to examination. Peace.

atmilkman
06-15-2012, 18:23
It's too bad the guy doesn't have the ability to install a take-out window somewhere around the back of his place with maybe a table or two and that way he could direct the thru-hikers there and keep them seperated from his regulars, even if it was seasonal only.

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 18:28
I agree. I respect your opinions and post, as I respect those of Wise Old Owl. I admire the way some posters can make their point with only a little bit of words. Me, I have difficulty with that. Use to many words and don't make my point. Eric Burden singing "Lord, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" comes to mind. The hyperbole was just a way to change the tone and direction from bashing to examination. Peace.

LOL Listen, I write volumes!! And I'm sure my intent is not understood many ​times.

10-K
06-15-2012, 18:58
I suspect that the only replies most people read completely are the ones they write.

And people love to bitch and complain on the internet. My suggestion is to turn off the computer and go hiking.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2012, 19:04
once again, "thru-hikers" don't need to be warned about this place. thru-hikers need to learn manners and respect

Hellush
06-15-2012, 19:24
If you don't like it, don't go. Beyond that who cares?

RockDoc
06-15-2012, 19:39
I think that some perspective is in order...

I think that running a lodge or other service for AT hikers, especially thru hikers, is a highly demanding and wearing proposition. Especially now that there are thousands of thru hikers every year, all dirty, all hungry, all wanting to take a free "shower" in your bathroom sink and then leaving a big puddle for you to clean up.

Note that several of the more famous hiker lodges have either closed temporarily or permanently, I think of Bear at the Cabin in Maine. He put out a lot of energy for his clients, and I think it exhausted him sometimes. And the original Shaws in Monson got enough of it after a while. Last I heard (the younger) Mr Shaw didn't want anything to do with hikers. We are not talking about young people running these lodges. Often they are past retirement age.

Not that "Joe" deserves a pass for his reportedly unfriendly behavior, but I think that thru hiking has passed a threshold on the AT. Sort of like when trekking in Nepal got real popular in the 1970's. Past a certain point the locals were no longer as friendly and welcoming to the umpthousandth foreigner that walked by their door that week. Eventually it becomes an annoyance and that lodge owner needs to do something else for a while.

I see the same symptoms in certain public school teachers who have taught for too many years. They can become impatient, callus and cruel. From their point of view they think "I've been teaching you this all these years and you still don't get it!". The AT lodge owner may have a similar thought process going on, just under the surface.

Just musing a bit since in my opinion the AT is highly overpopulated and it's no surprise that this should stress the service industry people.
On my last hike in VA I was passed by 80 thru hikers in one day... too many. Way too many....

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 19:51
once again, "thru-hikers" don't need to be warned about this place. thru-hikers need to learn manners and respect

LW-It is not always the hikers who are wrong. I am generally inclined to agree with you about the manners of hikers and I think that most of them make it difficult for the rest of us. But how many complaints do you need before you are willing to concede that this guy just might be a jerk? Whatever. It is totally each individual hiker's decision, but I personally want​ to know about guys like this so that I can make up my own mind.

TD55
06-15-2012, 20:08
The guy is a sandwich maker. He makes a good sandwich. Think about how silly this whole thread has been. We are demanding that the sandwich maker ON THE TRAIL be polite, let us use his restroom and be a nice person. His attitude seems to be that the only thing anyone should ask of him is that he make a good sandwich. It is what it is.

brooklynkayak
06-15-2012, 20:12
I remember stopping by "Joe to Go" while on an early winter hike. There weren't any thru hikers around.
I didn't know about any reputation, but did catch a vibe about the place. All the signs and the fact that he focused on the backpacks like we were one of "them".
He didn't give us any problems, but we could see he didn't like our type.

Although there was no free water, coffee was free with a sandwich?

So like why did he open his place right off of the AT?

I suspect he is a "troll" as they say in the Internet world. Someone who lives for confrontation.
Think of the "Soup Nazi" from Sinefeld. You act the way he wants, and there will be no problem. You break the rules and you have fed the troll. The more you feed the troll, the more confrontation he wants.

Best to hitch further down the road to another place for food and let his business shrivel up and shut down.

Oh, and by the way, I don't think businesses in NJ are required to have public restrooms like in other states. So not having a public bathroom is another way to create confrontation for him.

verasch
06-15-2012, 20:13
I think my interest in knowing what places out there have good service is based on where I want my money to go. I don't know about any of you, but saving up thousands of dollars plus making sure the cost of maintaining my home while I'm away is going to be very hard for me. I have a right to put my money where I want to use it, and I'd rather use it knowing that the place is worth supporting.

brooklynkayak
06-15-2012, 20:24
Oh and by the way, I posted a somewhat negative post about the place, but wanted to post a positive. He does serve a mean Taylor Ham sandwich. That is actually a pretty good reason to go there. If you have never had a Taylor Ham sandwich, you are missing out on one of the best trail town foods ever made!

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2012, 20:37
OK here is a wide open question, most "deli's" have all the product and material behind the counter except the chips... Why do owners brandish us with backpacks must be outside? What really is wrong with walking in with them.... I must be missing something here....

ChinMusic
06-15-2012, 20:56
The guy is a sandwich maker. He makes a good sandwich. Think about how silly this whole thread has been. We are demanding that the sandwich maker ON THE TRAIL be polite, let us use his restroom and be a nice person. His attitude seems to be that the only thing anyone should ask of him is that he make a good sandwich. It is what it is.

I am 100% sure now that I am stopping here. That Taylor Ham sandwich has me drooling already. Soup Nazis don't bother me none.

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2012, 21:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA&feature=player_embedded

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 21:10
I think my interest in knowing what places out there have good service is based on where I want my money to go. I don't know about any of you, but saving up thousands of dollars plus making sure the cost of maintaining my home while I'm away is going to be very hard for me. I have a right to put my money where I want to use it, and I'd rather use it knowing that the place is worth supporting.

:( LOL You know, I started thinking that this might be a sort of Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus sort of thing! As a woman, the AT is all about the experience to me. Lone Wolf and other guys wouldn't think twice if this guy cussed them out and threw them out. Suck it up, right??! Yet I'm sorry, but even though I'm fiercely independent in a man's profession, if some guy cussed me out - even though I would tell him off in a heartbeat, it would still hurt me. It just would. And whenever I thought of my hike, I would think, "it was great except for this jerk." And maybe I could walk on eggshells and he would be fine or maybe I can choose to not support this kind of behavior.

OMG LOL I just watched the Soup Nazi and that is hysterical!! You know, by the time I make it to NJ, I may end up just like that!!

ChinMusic
06-15-2012, 21:14
Some of us have tunnel vision. It's all about the food.

verasch
06-15-2012, 21:32
I'm actually really interested in that bar that's open on Sundays. I'll take my calories in liquid form any day, though.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2012, 21:37
much ado over nothing.

Lone Wolf
06-15-2012, 21:40
:( LOL You know, I started thinking that this might be a sort of Men are from Mars; Women are from Venus sort of thing! As a woman, the AT is all about the experience to me. Lone Wolf and other guys wouldn't think twice if this guy cussed them out and threw them out. Suck it up, right??! Yet I'm sorry, but even though I'm fiercely independent in a man's profession, if some guy cussed me out - even though I would tell him off in a heartbeat, it would still hurt me. It just would. And whenever I thought of my hike, I would think, "it was great except for this jerk." And maybe I could walk on eggshells and he would be fine or maybe I can choose to not support this kind of behavior.

OMG LOL I just watched the Soup Nazi and that is hysterical!! You know, by the time I make it to NJ, I may end up just like that!!
if and when you even make it that far you ain't gonna think twice about goin' in his shop

rocketsocks
06-15-2012, 21:50
Ok,I've decided to come out of retirement on this thread,don't care what anyone does,never do....just don't. hearing a few schools of thought on this.
There's the we want to know if bad service exits on the trail,in a guide book.
There's the don't care what people say,because it is hear say,and I'll see for my self,regardless of what some guide book may say.
There's The Guy turned a young girl away from using a bathroom,of which he has in his power to allow,as he has done so in the past(hear say),but choose not to,...further I believe every word of the OP's story and have no reason to think otherwise.I can make this statement,because I am a prudent person with the ability to reason,nothing more.

Sarcasm the elf
06-15-2012, 22:19
It's been an interesting few weeks on this site, we've had lots of new classics such as: the "will sleigh bells keep me safe from bears?" thread, the "how many guns do I need to bring with me?" thread, the " your a fool if you do/don't hang your food" thread, the "this person ripped of a hostel, i bet he's a murderer" thread, the "how dare you smoke in my shelter!" thread, the "I'm gonna shoot yer dog!" thread, the " what do you mean I need to have a map?" thread, the various "I tell you, Kids these days..." threads and many others that I can't think of, I have to say that after all that I don't have enough energy left at the moment to get outraged over a guy who acts rudely while he makes you a sandwich.

Maybe I need to get out and hike.

Slo-go'en
06-15-2012, 22:45
if and when you even make it that far you ain't gonna think twice about goin' in his shop

Yep, "Joe to Go" is part of the NJ/NY/CT "Deli to Deli" hike and you'd be crazy to pass it by.

Miner
06-15-2012, 22:45
When it comes down to it, as a thru-hiker, what you care about from a service provider is very different than what you want at home. When I'm hiking, I don't care if a girl wasn't allowed to use the bathroom, I don't care if I can't fill my water bottle for free, I might care if I have to leave my pack out of sight. If a place has decent food, I do care about that.

After a few weeks on the trail, most thru-hikers biggest care is about eating. You can make all the judgements you want at home, but once you are hiking, you may find whats important to you is very different.

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2012, 22:47
much ado over nothing.

And I thought I was "Moody" yo trump me!

And Sarcasm... you are cool and living up to your trail name. - the intent was good.

tdoczi
06-15-2012, 23:55
So like why did he open his place right off of the AT?

i love how most of us think the world revolves around the AT. its a busy highway, a great place for a business. you really think the AT being there was even remotely part of the equation?

tdoczi
06-15-2012, 23:57
OK here is a wide open question, most "deli's" have all the product and material behind the counter except the chips... Why do owners brandish us with backpacks must be outside? What really is wrong with walking in with them.... I must be missing something here....

for starters, they're huge, which is problematic in even remotely tight quarters. can you walk around your house with a full pack on without bumping into everything and everyone?

Hellush
06-16-2012, 00:06
Seriously, people? Ya'll are spending all this time being upset with some dude who was rude? Really? GET OVER IT. As a chick I don't plan to cry when someone yells at me, doesn't like me, is mean/rude/unkind. Just life. Move on already.

Highway Man
06-16-2012, 00:12

Stopped there one morning on my '09 thru-hike. As you can see from the photo, there were a bunch of us there. Bought a sandwich and a drink, and hung out outside for a while enjoying them. The proprietor did ask us not to sit on the parking curbs in front of the store but to use the bench on the side. Can't say he was overly friendly, but he sold me what I asked for so have no complaints myself.

I can imagine it could be annoying to his regular customers to stop in during thru-hiker season and have to wait for a dozen hikers to be waited on first. I can further imagine it can sour the proprietor's attitude to have his regular bread-and-butter customers get annoyed, rightly or wrongly.

I'm not saying this invalidates anybody else's experience there, just sharing my own.

I got exactly the same experience in my 2008 section hike. I was tired, thirsty, and just wanted to have a good piece of fresh meal when got there. I left my pack on the sidewalk, and maybe spread up my wet tent in the left parking stall. Joe, I believe the old guy, came out the door, and shouted angrily at me to move it. I was quite frustrated with his tone of the language. What I needed was just some food and a gallon of water to continue north. I didn't want to get involved in some argument with him, and did as he told me to do. Then I asked him in the store if I can dry my tent at the side of the building. He was fine with it.

It's kinda rational what you said he was probably fed up with a large number hikers swarmed at the store that interefered with the business from local people. I didn't see it open when passing in front of it on my 2009 thru hike. I knew somehow, maybe from the companion book, Joe was retired.

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 00:44
Seriously, people? Ya'll are spending all this time being upset with some dude who was rude? Really? GET OVER IT. As a chick I don't plan to cry when someone yells at me, doesn't like me, is mean/rude/unkind. Just life. Move on already.funny,but if all of us were sitting around a fire and dicussing this ,it would take about 5 or ten min.and it would be done,but on a computer things get drawn out,each person having there turn and then often a rebuttle.In the real world the conversation might go something like this.
Hey,you hear about that guy that wouldn't let some one use the bathroom?
yeah,what a d---,what that dudes problem anyway?
maybe he's just dosen't like hikers.
So.....I don't like hikers.
your and idiot
bte me,hey,you want some icecreaqm,i'm buyin
allright,lets go,whats open.
just that dudes place
well,whatta gonna do,lets go.

but insted of that we have the ability to think of what we want to say,even revise,and edit,followup,check spelling,thesuruses,map books for concise clarity,go have lunch,hit the bathroom,go for a walk,then come back here and say,you jerk off.ain't it great,it's all good......:sun

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 00:49
funny,but if all of us were sitting around a fire and dicussing this ,it would take about 5 or ten min.and it would be done,but on a computer things get drawn out,each person having there turn and then often a rebuttle.In the real world the conversation might go something like this.
Hey,you hear about that guy that wouldn't let some one use the bathroom?
yeah,what a d---,what that dudes problem anyway?
maybe he's just dosen't like hikers.
So.....I don't like hikers.
your and idiot
bte me,hey,you want some icecreaqm,i'm buyin
allright,lets go,whats open.
just that dudes place
well,whatta gonna do,lets go.

but insted of that we have the ability to think of what we want to say,even revise,and edit,followup,check spelling,thesuruses,map books for concise clarity,go have lunch,hit the bathroom,go for a walk,then come back here and say,you jerk off.ain't it great,it's all good......:sun

LOL That's so true, Rocket! I was thinking the same thing. And in the end, we are all different and I don't think that's a bad thing. :cool:

Mags
06-16-2012, 00:52
A cranky guy from the Northeast who has trouble putting up with people with a sense of entitlement?

Sounds like some my relatives and other assorted people I grew up with..... :)

I'm going to have to order a sangwich from this guy if I do the AT again. ;)

ChinMusic
06-16-2012, 00:59
My conversation:

Friend "You hear about the a$$wipe that wouldn't let Sunshine use the can"
Me "Yeah, what a moron. How could someone diss such a sweet kid?"
Friend "I don't care how good the sandwiches are, I will NEVER go there again"
Me " You been there and say the sandwiches are good?"
Friend " Oh yeah man, killer. His Taylor Ham sammies are to die for"
Me "Dude, I'm only human, a human that now can't live without a Taylor. You want me to pick two up for ya?"

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 01:08
My conversation:

Me "Dude, I'm only human, a human that now can't live without a Taylor. You want me to pick two up for ya?"LOL my buddy who now lives in Houston TX,each time he comes back up here (he drives)to see his POP,he says Johnny,we gotta go down to Trenton there,and get some of that pork roll to bring back....I got orders for it.They don't have it in TX,so he bings two coolers,and buy's like 9 of them long links.....yeah and he brings me peacan chunks for the smoker,cool

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 01:08
My conversation:

Me "Dude, I'm only human, a human that now can't live without a Taylor. You want me to pick two up for ya?"

LOL. I can see me now on the trail. Starving. Running into Chin and giving him the $$$ to go get us sandwiches from this blowhard while I watch the packs! :cool:

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 01:16
LOL. I can see me now on the trail. Starving. Running into Chin and giving him the $$$ to go get us sandwiches from this blowhard while I watch the packs! :cool:I'd get ya a sammy Kath....good thread,but she may just be played out....but then tomarrows another day,And on that note,good night cruel world,and good nite Irene.peace out.:)

Feral Bill
06-16-2012, 02:17
It's too bad the guy doesn't have the ability to install a take-out window somewhere around the back of his place with maybe a table or two and that way he could direct the thru-hikers there and keep them seperated from his regulars, even if it was seasonal only.
A reeking section?

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 03:56
I'd get ya a sammy Kath....good thread,but she may just be played out....but then tomarrows another day,And on that note,good night cruel world,and good nite Irene.peace out.:)

Thanks Rocket! Good to know I won't starve! And LOL OK - I will shut up about "Joe!" :cool:

stumpknocker
06-16-2012, 11:38
I just saw this thread. I walked through that area two or three weeks ago and was looking forward to the bar and grill I always eat at. It wasn't going to be open until 4pm, so I went into Joe's and ordered a whole sandwich (huge) and also bought a bag of chips and half a gallon of milk.

I went outside and ate and drank everything, then went back in and ordered some bagels with cream cheese for the next morning's breakfast in my tent.

Joe smiled at me and asked..."You ate all that? I wrapped that sandwich in two pieces for you because I thought you were going to pack one out."

I got my bagels, thanked him and started walking north on the Trail.

Shortly after that I met who I believe was Desperado near the parking lot just before climbing to the next firetower. He was one of the friendliest guys I've met. We talked about 30 minutes and he insisted I take some goodies he had in his car. He said he had just left water at Mashipagong? Shelter. I have been very appreciative over the years for some of the things he's done in the area for hikers, but I had never met him. I just saw in another thread he was murdered this week. I will never forget him.

I had a pleasant experience walking through Culver's Gap because of Joe and Desperado.

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 11:55
A reeking section?

I still do not understand why hikers can't find a creek and Ivory Soap

ChinMusic
06-16-2012, 11:56
I just saw this thread. I walked through that area two or three weeks ago .....

Dang, you are moving right along. Just hiked a bit with you and Mrs Gorp just short of Damascus before Trail Days.

I'm wondering if guys like us come across as less "threatening" to owners like "Joe".

wcgornto
06-16-2012, 13:00
I was hiking SOBO in 2009. I saw all these shelter log posts about this rude guy at some sandwich shop named Joe to Go and the indignant suggestions to avoid the place. The only word that stayed with me was "sandwich" and I went to the place with eager anticipation. I ordered the sandwich. It was delicious and amply sized for the price. I left my pack outside on the side. I did not ask for water (there are thousands of places to acquire water along the trail). I did not ask to use the restroom (there are millions of places to relieve oneself along the trail). I did not attempt to engage in chit chat. I just ordered a sandwich. The sandwich was delicious, the price was fair and the service was exemplary. Had I been ranking and scoring eating establishments along the AT, Joe to Go would have received a rather high score from me.

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 13:05
Like I said before - it generally doesn't pan out.... no surprise.

10-K
06-16-2012, 13:11
Yep, "Joe to Go" is part of the NJ/NY/CT "Deli to Deli" hike and you'd be crazy to pass it by.

Oh... that means I've been there!

What does the place look like?

10-K
06-16-2012, 13:16
Dang, you are moving right along. Just hiked a bit with you and Mrs Gorp just short of Damascus before Trail Days.

I'm wondering if guys like us come across as less "threatening" to owners like "Joe".

I'm going to guess I'm "a guy like you" because I've never had a single bad experience at any establishment I've visited.

Maybe it has something to do with being older and all the stuff you learn about how to act that comes with age.

SassyWindsor
06-16-2012, 13:18
I've seen someone get a burger that was slightly pink in the middle, they had asked for well-done. It was expensive, but they did not return it. So, they ate it and by the time they got 3 miles up the trail the "pink in the middle" started to turn into "E.coli" in the mind of this disgruntled hiker. Other hikers heading toward this business where informed of the dangers of what was nothing more than a harmless burger bought by a cry-baby.

wcgornto
06-16-2012, 13:19
I'm going to guess I'm "a guy like you" because I've never had a single bad experience at any establishment I've visited.

Maybe it has something to do with being older and all the stuff you learn about how to act that comes with age.

Same for me.

SassyWindsor
06-16-2012, 13:27
It's been an interesting few weeks on this site, we've had lots of new classics such as: the "will sleigh bells keep me safe from bears?" thread, the "how many guns do I need to bring with me?" thread, the " your a fool if you do/don't hang your food" thread, the "this person ripped of a hostel, i bet he's a murderer" thread, the "how dare you smoke in my shelter!" thread, the "I'm gonna shoot yer dog!" thread, the " what do you mean I need to have a map?" thread, the various "I tell you, Kids these days..." threads and many others that I can't think of, I have to say that after all that I don't have enough energy left at the moment to get outraged over a guy who acts rudely while he makes you a sandwich.

Maybe I need to get out and hike.

The above examples are all great and are included in the never-ending, never-resolved, never-satisfied, constantly re-hashed, bottomless pit of WB topics. ;)

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 13:28

What does the place look like? See post ten on the first page and click on the rectangle.

I've seen someone get a burger that was slightly pink in the middle, they had asked for well-done. It was expensive, but they did not return it. So, they ate it and by the time they got 3 miles up the trail the "pink in the middle" started to turn into "E.coli" in the mind of this disgruntled hiker. Other hikers heading toward this business where informed of the dangers of what was nothing more than a harmless burger bought by a cry-baby.

E-coli works that fast? I thought it was 6 hours.

10-K
06-16-2012, 13:30
The above examples are all great and are included in the never-ending, never-resolved, never-satisfied, constantly re-hashed, bottomless pit of WB topics. ;)

I took a 3 month break from WB, came back and it was like I never left.

Same stuff, same core group with a new cast of supporting players, talking about the same old things. It's familiar, I can take it in small doses but I have less patience than I used to and I get snarky quicker.

Much more fun to hike and for serious stuff backpackinglight.com.

TD55
06-16-2012, 13:50
Over 100 post and no one has mentioned that JOE'S replaced the old Worthington Bakery. Worthington's Bakery was a major can't miss stop for decades. In the 70's and 80's it was a favorite. Think they operated in the 90's also, but I didn't hike that section in the 90's. Anyone remember Worthington's?

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 14:02

I took a 3 month break from WB, came back and it was like I never left.

Same stuff, same core group with a new cast of supporting players, talking about the same old things. It's familiar, I can take it in small doses but I have less patience than I used to and I get snarky quicker.

Much more fun to hike and for serious stuff backpackinglight.com.

You and me both - only I miss quite a few members and the earlier camaraderie & fun

Over 100 post and no one has mentioned that JOE'S replaced the old Worthington Bakery. Worthington's Bakery was a major can't miss stop for decades. In the 70's and 80's it was a favorite. Think they operated in the 90's also, but I didn't hike that section in the 90's. Anyone remember Worthington's?

I saw the sign-its still there in the picture. - wondered what that was about. and I am not sure its Joe. I think its Larry.

Sugarfoot
06-16-2012, 14:08
I was going to mention Worthington's. Good folk, welcoming to all, even hikers. I got there when they opened on a Sunday morning in late May, 1998 and was sitting on the sidewalk, leaning against the window, eating a bag of doughnuts and enjoying coffee. Churchgoers would stop by and pick up a flat of doughnuts for Sunday School. Two guys flipped me quarters to which I responded, "God bless you!" and bought another doughnut. I was also there the first year Joe's opened. He greeted me by screaming, "Don't bring that filthy pack in here," but he calmed down when he saw I had cash and fixed me a real nice sandwich to carryout.

ChinMusic
06-16-2012, 14:18
... but I have less patience than I used to and I get snarky quicker.
10-K being snarky? Man, you must be subtle.

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 14:19
maybe there's some Phobia about being around packs?

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 14:21
:eek:..............................

cabbagehead
06-16-2012, 14:29
I went there (in 2011) and saw the sign about leaving the packs on the side. I didn't want to leave my pack out of sight for someone to steal, so I stepped inside to ask for an alternative. He wouldn't let me finish my sentence, so I left.

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 14:29
I was hiking SOBO in 2009. I saw all these shelter log posts about this rude guy at some sandwich shop named Joe to Go and the indignant suggestions to avoid the place. The only word that stayed with me was "sandwich" and I went to the place with eager anticipation. I ordered the sandwich. It was delicious and amply sized for the price. I left my pack outside on the side. I did not ask for water (there are thousands of places to acquire water along the trail). I did not ask to use the restroom (there are millions of places to relieve oneself along the trail). I did not attempt to engage in chit chat. I just ordered a sandwich. The sandwich was delicious, the price was fair and the service was exemplary. Had I been ranking and scoring eating establishments along the AT, Joe to Go would have received a rather high score from me.

You know, that is fine. And I'm glad that I started this thread because at least now everyone knows THE RULES OF JOE TO GO:

1. Joe has apparently great sandwiches.
2. Apparently coffee is free with a sandwich, but do NOT ask for water!!
3. Do NOT ask to use the restroom unless you are a regular.
4. Leave your pack outside.
5. Enter conversation with said owner at your own risk!

And you think that a place like this deserves high marks??! Now maybe it deserves high marks for FOOD, but if you are giving it high marks for anything else, you have masochistic tendencies! It totally sounds like "Soup Nazi" to me! I don't think that I am an "entitled hiker" because I frickin' might want to use the restroom or drink water instead of coffee. And for the record? Sunshine (the little 12 yr old girl) was not some smelly, rude, obnoxious hiker who hadn't had a bath in a month. They had just stayed with relatives so she was clean and well-groomed AND her arm was in a cast AND they had purchased food there and she is like one of the most polite kids you have ever met! So I guess some of us will have to "agree to disagree" on this one because if you feel that this guy is treating the hiker community with just simple common courtesy - then our definition of the word is quite different.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2012, 14:31

yup. stopped there a bunch of times

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 14:58
maybe there's some Phobia about being around packs?

Packs contain little known soap bubbles of time released gaseous hideous farts.

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 15:19
Packs contain little known soap bubbles of time released gaseous hideous farts.hehe,yes,but is there an audible sound released, like walking on bubble rap.

WingedMonkey
06-16-2012, 15:36

Main reason I remember Worthington's is because they had an outside water spigot.
Life was simple.
:p

douginky
06-16-2012, 15:38
I take it that none of you have ever eaten at Shopsin's (http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2008/08/shopsins-comical-rudeness.html) in NYC. :D

wcgornto
06-16-2012, 16:08
You know, that is fine. And I'm glad that I started this thread because at least now everyone knows THE RULES OF JOE TO GO:

1. Joe has apparently great sandwiches.
2. Apparently coffee is free with a sandwich, but do NOT ask for water!!
3. Do NOT ask to use the restroom unless you are a regular.
4. Leave your pack outside.
5. Enter conversation with said owner at your own risk!

And you think that a place like this deserves high marks??! Now maybe it deserves high marks for FOOD, but if you are giving it high marks for anything else, you have masochistic tendencies! It totally sounds like "Soup Nazi" to me! I don't think that I am an "entitled hiker" because I frickin' might want to use the restroom or drink water instead of coffee. And for the record? Sunshine (the little 12 yr old girl) was not some smelly, rude, obnoxious hiker who hadn't had a bath in a month. They had just stayed with relatives so she was clean and well-groomed AND her arm was in a cast AND they had purchased food there and she is like one of the most polite kids you have ever met! So I guess some of us will have to "agree to disagree" on this one because if you feel that this guy is treating the hiker community with just simple common courtesy - then our definition of the word is quite different.

I went to Joe to Go. I had an experience at Joe to Go. My experience was good.

I was just pointing out that not everyone who has gone to this establishment has had a bad experience. My expectations were a good sandwich, nothing else. My expectations were fully met.

hikerboy57
06-16-2012, 16:29
maybe joe was just having a bad day. it happens. and you dont have to go there.
but i agree with LW(wow), for the most part, there are too many entitlement issues that just end up pissing off owners because way too many take advantage.
joe may have just had to deal with a string of hikers that were rude before sunshine even came along and he may have just had enough, took out his anger against an innocent person such as sunshine.
i deal with the public every dy, and the aholes do get to you after a while, and you start lumping everone into the "all hikers "category. thats why all of us need to be better ambassadors for the trail, to help compensate for the ones who dont know what manners are, so that hostel owners diners,etc. will continue to value the experience as much as we value their kindness.

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 17:38
I went to Joe to Go. I had an experience at Joe to Go. My experience was good.

I was just pointing out that not everyone who has gone to this establishment has had a bad experience. My expectations were a good sandwich, nothing else. My expectations were fully met.

Because you followed "The Rules." If you see absolutely nothing wrong with having to follow them or not being allowed to use the restroom for Christsake, then I can't help you.

tdoczi
06-16-2012, 17:44
Because you followed "The Rules." If you see absolutely nothing wrong with having to follow them or not being allowed to use the restroom for Christsake, then I can't help you.

what exactly is wrong with rules again? i think you just want everyone to ask for favors and be thrown out so they can join you in being pissed off at a guy whos eems to run a perfectly fine business.

ChinMusic
06-16-2012, 17:48

Got a suggestion for ya. Open your own restaurant and YOU can set whatever rules (within the law) you want. [/businessowner]

snorz
06-16-2012, 18:02
I've been to Joes many times,and never had a bad time there.Yeah,he has some rules&regs,but that is his business. He doesn't dislike hikers,but he's no trail angel! That doesn't make him a bad person! It's sad that Sunshine felt the brunt of a bad day. By the way,Gyp's tavern prefers hikers to use the side gate rather than the front door.Their place/their rules/no problem.Food,drink,view of lake......nice

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 18:30
Got a suggestion for ya. Open your own restaurant and YOU can set whatever rules (within the law) you want. [/businessowner]

:cool:LOL So I guess this means that you won't be getting the sandwiches for me? Listen, I am a business owner as well. I have dealt with many employees and customers and government agencies. And I generally try to treat all with respect and courtesy. I don't cuss them out and I don't throw them out of my business. And trust me, I have dealt with some real a$$holes! In fact, I am usually on the side of businesses.

I am going to go on record here as being an "entitled hiker." When I pay money for a meal or hotel, I am not demanding; I am polite; and I am courteous. I may arrive at a hotel as a "dirty hiker," but before I go out for a meal, I will take a shower, etc. - no matter how hungry I am. I will not ask for anything beyond what is normally expected at restaurants - like a glass of water and use of the restrooms if required. But this is a two-way deal for me. I expect common, decent treatment at any business. And as a hiker, if I am paying the same price, I certainly do not expect to be treated like a second-class citizen.

Now these are only my views. And although I feel passionate about most of my opinions, I unequivocally believe in every person's right to decide for himself. If you feel like going to Joe's for the great sandwiches - definitely go. But please do not attempt to make the rest of us believe that this level of service is "outstanding" or even normal.

LOL And this really is going to be my last post on this subject...

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 18:43
it's just a Deli with a socially poor owner, we are not going to solve this here. You two need to have a beer summit.:p

canoe
06-16-2012, 19:00
:cool:LOL So I guess this means that you won't be getting the sandwiches for me? Listen, I am a business owner as well. I have dealt with many employees and customers and government agencies. And I generally try to treat all with respect and courtesy. I don't cuss them out and I don't throw them out of my business. And trust me, I have dealt with some real a$$holes! In fact, I am usually on the side of businesses.

I am going to go on record here as being an "entitled hiker." When I pay money for a meal or hotel, I am not demanding; I am polite; and I am courteous. I may arrive at a hotel as a "dirty hiker," but before I go out for a meal, I will take a shower, etc. - no matter how hungry I am. I will not ask for anything beyond what is normally expected at restaurants - like a glass of water and use of the restrooms if required. But this is a two-way deal for me. I expect common, decent treatment at any business. And as a hiker, if I am paying the same price, I certainly do not expect to be treated like a second-class citizen.

Now these are only my views. And although I feel passionate about most of my opinions, I unequivocally believe in every person's right to decide for himself. If you feel like going to Joe's for the great sandwiches - definitely go. But please do not attempt to make the rest of us believe that this level of service is "outstanding" or even normal.

LOL And this really is going to be my last post on this subject...

Come on Pilot I know you got more to say. Lets keep this thread going...lol

Lone Wolf
06-16-2012, 19:33

you ain't gonna go far on the AT. way too anal and uptight

TD55
06-16-2012, 19:56
Soon as I get off work tonight I'm getting a giant sized Philly style sub (hoggie), and few beers, get dropped off at the ADT Terminus and hike about 5 or 8 miles of Atlantic Ocean beach in my bare feet. I gonna enjoy that sandwich.

Bootbanger
06-16-2012, 20:49
I kinda like your thinking on this matter. Even if this person is mean to some (or allot) of people, doesn't really give others the right to ruin someone's business opportunities. If this guy is that mean then maybe we should smile and just go about our way. I am just guessing, but maybe some hikers in the past have been rude to this man. Maybe "Joe" is really a decent man. I never met him, but when I hike the trail I want people to know that I am representing all hikers---meaning that I make a great effort to respect everyone. Now "Joe" was wrong slamming the young girl for wanting to use the bathroom. Maybe one day "Joe" will need help and a hiker is the only person available to help.......who knows!

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 21:04
you ain't gonna go far on the AT. way too anal and uptight

:mad: LOL LW-You don't even know me. I grew up in the 70's and I am the farthest woman ever from "anal and uptight." And BTW, I'm the one protesting all the "Sandwich Nazi Rules." But whatever. You are obviously sooo much more successful in life than I am and clearly have that A.T. Crystal Ball. When I finish that trail, I'll be sure to stop back in Damascus so I can shove it up your backpack. :eek:

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 21:33
I've been to Joes many times,and never had a bad time there.Yeah,he has some rules&regs,but that is his business. He doesn't dislike hikers,but he's no trail angel! That doesn't make him a bad person! It's sad that Sunshine felt the brunt of a bad day. By the way,Gyp's tavern prefers hikers to use the side gate rather than the front door.Their place/their rules/no problem.Food,drink,view of lake......nice

Hilarious - 1630516306

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 21:45
Hilarious - 1630516306Nice Woo.Long haired freaky people need not apply,so I tucked my hair up under my hat,and I went in to ask him why.He said,now you look like fine upstanding young man,yeah,I think you do,so I took off my hat,and said imagine that,Me workin for you......Sign Sign,everywhere a Sign,blockin out the senery,breakin my mind,do this,don't do that,Can't you read the sign.....

Sarcasm the elf
06-16-2012, 22:13
Hilarious - 1630516306

That is great! Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong decade.

hikerboy57
06-16-2012, 22:19
That is great! Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong decade.

You were.:).....

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 22:23
Kathy,I think you have exactly what it takes to hike the whole thing,humor,adaptability,and sticktoitiveness(is that even a word)hehehe (apparently not,cause when I hit spell check,it came up as Seductiveness.LOL Well I certainly don't know if you have that,but then what smelly unbathed hiker trash does.....ooh,that sounded terrible,but you know what I meant.

Lone Wolf
06-16-2012, 22:27
:)
:mad: LOL LW-You don't even know me. I grew up in the 70's and I am the farthest woman ever from "anal and uptight." And BTW, I'm the one protesting all the "Sandwich Nazi Rules." But whatever. You are obviously sooo much more successful in life than I am and clearly have that A.T. Crystal Ball. When I finish that trail, I'll be sure to stop back in Damascus so I can shove it up your backpack. :eek:

OK dude

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 22:34
Kathy,I think you have exactly what it takes to hike the whole thing,humor,adaptability,and sticktoitiveness(is that even a word)hehehe (apparently not,cause when I hit spell check,it came up as Seductiveness.LOL Well I certainly don't know if you have that,but then what smelly unbathed hiker trash does.....ooh,that sounded terrible,but you know what I meant.

LOL Thanks Rocket! :sun You're the best! And let's hope I am still "seductive" after all those miles! Probably just want to crawl into my tent with a bottle of rum and Advil. :cool:

Old Hiker
06-16-2012, 22:42
Soon as I get off work tonight I'm getting a giant sized Philly style sub (hoggie), and few beers, get dropped off at the ADT Terminus and hike about 5 or 8 miles of Atlantic Ocean beach in my bare feet. I gonna enjoy that sandwich.

And if the bathroom is off limits...............? :eek:

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 22:48
That is what is called a NO S.....t Movement.

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 22:51
That is what is called a NO S.....t Movement.yep,butt you could dig a scat hole with the heal,or hand.

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 23:12
yep,butt you could dig a scat hole with the heal,or hand.

Too funny! Or maybe Joe will give you a plastic spoon to dig one?? But don't ask him!! :D

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 23:15
yep,butt you could dig a scat hole with the heal,or hand.

I didn't know you could do that on linoleum.... on slab...

rocketsocks
06-17-2012, 00:13
Too funny! Or maybe Joe will give you a plastic spoon to dig one?? But don't ask him!! :Dyep,not likley,"but joe,I really gota go bad" "No spork for you,I'ma gonna call the police,do you want ketchup and peper on your samich?thanks for coming now get the hell outta here"and cut that hair,you stinky hiker trash."ok joe,see ya next year"you bastard you

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 00:40

No, no, I will def get you the sandwiches. I'm just opinionated.

I've kicked folks out of my business before. Haven't done it in a long time. Usually the staff gave me a standing ovation once they were gone..........lol

Miner
06-17-2012, 01:20
WIAPilot, revive this thread next year when you hike and let us know if you were able to withstand the temptation to Eat at Joes. :D I just don't think you understand yet just how obsessed with real food a thru-hiker gets. I could care less if the guy is constantly cussing me out while I wait as he made my sandwich... as long as I get to eat real town food and not that stuff I carry in my pack and call food.

WIAPilot
06-17-2012, 01:43
WIAPilot, revive this thread next year when you hike and let us know if you were able to withstand the temptation to Eat at Joes. :D I just don't think you understand yet just how obsessed with real food a thru-hiker gets. I could care less if the guy is constantly cussing me out while I wait as he made my sandwich... as long as I get to eat real town food and not that stuff I carry in my pack and call food.

LOL Will do! Actually, I'm going to hit the restaurant down the street. And if it is closed, I'm going to send Rocket or Chin in for my sandwich! :cool:

Rasty
06-17-2012, 01:47

What does the place look like? See post ten on the first page and click on the rectangle.

E-coli works that fast? I thought it was 6 hours.

E-coli has a 3 to 8 day incubation period with the average period being 4 days.

Staphylococcus has a 3 to 6 hour incubation period.

Salmonella has a 4 to 48 hour incubation period.

Most foodborne illness is not caused by the meal you suspect.

Lone Wolf
06-17-2012, 02:02
LOL Will do! Actually, I'm going to hit the restaurant down the street. And if it is closed, I'm going to send Rocket or Chin in for my sandwich! :cool:

perfect. closed minded at it's best

Johnny Thunder
06-17-2012, 02:35
why all the arguing...i've put it on record that the blue ribbon bar east of the trail (and scenically positioned on culver lake) has the best chicken sandwich in the tri-state (trail-wise).

WIAPilot
06-17-2012, 08:29
perfect. closed minded at it's best

Now why would I want to eat at Joe's when I could eat here and have a wonderful Southwestern Salad and Seafood? Yum!! And what a great view!! And they are apparently now open at noon. And they have a patio! Life is all about choices and scouting out intel and then finding alternatives that are best for you!

http://www.blueribbonnj.com/experience/

Capt Nat
06-17-2012, 09:54
With 9 pages already, we can't let this thread die, it's just too good. Let me wind it back up a bit...

Thru hikers are almost Gods and should be treated as such by all mere mortals. Backpacks are like alters and should be honored and worshipped wherever they are placed. Joe or Larry or whoever need to get on board as should everyone else!!!

Wise Old Owl
06-17-2012, 10:03
Joe or Larry owner of the Last Outpost "Joe to Go" in New Jersey needs to suck it up and bow to the god like thru hiker.... the Ferengi of backpackers.:banana

ChinMusic
06-20-2012, 22:53
More from Balls:

Oh, we have more Joe to Go stories. Want to hear them? Ok, you talked me into
it. Now I've heard some good ones third hand, but I'll only tell you the ones
that the actual person in the story told me. Bootstraps bought a sandwich and
drinks while it was dumping rain outside. When he asked if he could eat inside
(no seating) the owner told him he couldn't and needed to go out to the bench
outside which had very little to no over head cover.
Spider asked to order
a sandwich (a different day) and the owner said while propping up his feet.
"I'm not making any sandwiches. I've already made all the money I needed for
the day. I'll sell you drinks, but no sandwiches". This was before 11:00am
btw. He went to the bar down the street apparently too early. Then stopped back
into Joe's for another Soda. "Joe" was fixing a local a sandwich so Spider
asked, "can I order a sandwich now too"? "Joe" says "I might as well now that
I'm up". We are enjoying the Joe's stories this year, seems everyone has one.
Last year it was Jeff from the desert. The 2011 PCT hikers are now giggling.

I just now can't wait to see this guy........

Wise Old Owl
06-20-2012, 23:23
where there is smoke - possibly fire.... u tube is in order....

Hellush
06-20-2012, 23:42
So, anyone remember the long gone days of AOL chat rooms? Pretty sure I have been experiencing deja vu here on WB.

Btw, now that "Joe" is on everyone's S**T list, I plan to go as soon as possible. I might actually hug Joe if he tells me to "****** OFF." Then I will eat my sammy, laugh, say thank you, and be on my way.

Since when did everybody start expecting to be treated as if they are special? Anyone read the article about the commencement speaker who informed all the lil new grads that they are not actually special and that nobody cares? I felt like hugging him, too.

rocketsocks
06-20-2012, 23:51
Pretty soon Joe's gonna have....No no,needs his own sub forum under hiking humor here at wb,call it the
"whata ya say joe" or "Have you been served"

any others out there?

rocketsocks
06-20-2012, 23:53
So, anyone remember the long gone days of AOL chat rooms? Pretty sure I have been experiencing deja vu here on WB.

Btw, now that "Joe" is on everyone's S**T list, I plan to go as soon as possible. I might actually hug Joe if he tells me to "****** OFF." Then I will eat my sammy, laugh, say thank you, and be on my way.

Since when did everybody start expecting to be treated as if they are special? Anyone read the article about the commencement speaker who informed all the lil new grads that they are not actually special and that nobody cares? I felt like hugging him, too.what I loved was all the faces in the crowd.....zing!

atmilkman
06-20-2012, 23:57
Pretty soon Joe's gonna have....No no,needs his own sub forum under hiking humor here at wb,call it the
"whata ya say joe" or "Have you been served"

any others out there?
Come tell Joe to go where to go!

wornoutboots
06-21-2012, 00:03
I suggest you check out any place that you want & don't listen to the crowds. It has been mentioned on here several times to avoid Greasy Creek Friendly. I went there & the place is CC the host is wonderful!! Most places are what you make of them, what's the old expression, don't believe anything you hear & only half of what you see. Just walk & step over any & all thresholds you choose, the goods & bads are part of the journey.

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 00:05
Come tell Joe to go where to go!bean bag toss at trail days(his face your body)$3.00 20 shots,with an loud speaker that repeats,"get the hell outta here ya hiker trash bum"

ChinMusic
06-21-2012, 00:05
And the sign said "Thru-hiking freaky people need not stop by"
So I tucked my pack up under a tree and I went in to ask him why
He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, What sandwich will do?"
So I got my pack, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me being served by you!"

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 00:08
So I got my pack, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me being served by you!"Timing,it's all about the timing,Awesome Chin,just simply Awesome.

WIAPilot
06-21-2012, 00:12
LOL Great song! Except it should read, "So I tossed my backpack upon his bench and I went in to ask him why!"

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 00:20
LOL Great song! Except it should read, "So I tossed my backpack upon his bench and I went in to ask him why!"Boy that'd get you ketchup on a "No ketchup please" sandwich.

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 00:24
Boy that'd get you ketchup on a "No ketchup please" sandwich.don't ask,i got lydexica

WIAPilot
06-21-2012, 00:31
No, Joe insists that all hikers leave their packs outside on this bench apparently. We should all add to Chin's song and create "The Sandwich Nazi Song.". :p

atmilkman
06-21-2012, 00:32
So I got my pack, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me being served by you!"
Good one. How about this one but I'm gonna need some help, sung to the tune of the Jimi Hendrix song
Hey Joe, where you goin' with that pack in your hand
Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that pack in your hand

atmilkman
06-21-2012, 00:37
Good one. How about this one but I'm gonna need some help, sung to the tune of the Jimi Hendrix song
Hey Joe, where you goin' with that pack in your hand
Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that pack in your hand
I'm goin' down to boot me a thru-hiker
you know I caught him messin' around in my can

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 00:38
Hey Joe, where you goin' with that pack in your hand dud a du,dud da du du-ty du du,du da du,da du da
Hey Joe, I said where you goin' with that pack in your handor somthin like that,it's late,No?

VigilAuntie
09-06-2012, 19:33
Is it wrong to say that I hoped Joe was dead by now? We had a miserable encounter with him in 2008. How a person can possess so much vemon, I hope to never understand.

Don H
09-06-2012, 21:52
Since you asked I'll answer. Yes I would say that wishing someone was dead is wrong.

Larry (his real name, not Joe) is a grouchy old man who is set in his ways. It's not like he hates hikers, he just expects that they respect his wishes when they're in his place. I've been there twice and never had a problem with him. He was polite and made me great sandwiches both times.

I didn't bring my pack in as he asks. I can certainly understand why he wouldn't want dirty smelly packs in his place.
I didn't ask to use the bathroom. That's actually against health department regulations since the bathroom is located behind the counter.

That being said I do understand he can go absolutely ballistic when people (not just hikers) cross him.
His reputation is well know, hikers can choose to go somewhere else if they like.

coach lou
09-06-2012, 22:40
On my first hike in NJ in July, I was looking for the trail head, when I spotted his store. I had to check it out, It was time for coffee anyway. I went in, checked it out, got coffee and a decent Bacon-egg-and cheese. The old guy was pleasant enough. He had gallon jugs of water in the cooler FOR SALE, 5 people came in while I was there, all locals, no hikers.

Sarcasm the elf
09-06-2012, 22:45
On my first hike in NJ in July, I was looking for the trail head, when I spotted his store. I had to check it out, It was time for coffee anyway. I went in, checked it out, got coffee and a decent Bacon-egg-and cheese. The old guy was pleasant enough. He had gallon jugs of water in the cooler FOR SALE, 5 people came in while I was there, all locals, no hikers.

So how was the food?

Given his reputation and the fact that he is still in business, I have to assume that he makes one heck of a sandwich.

Supreme Being
09-07-2012, 01:20
So how was the food?

Given his reputation and the fact that he is still in business, I have to assume that he makes one heck of a sandwich.

Or perhaps he doesn't have much competition.

Waynesboro
09-07-2012, 05:07
Or perhaps he doesn't have much competition.
Or, maybe he ain't quite as bad as they say. I think I'm going to buy a sandwich there, just to see if all of the hype is true. If it isn't, then I may strike up a conversation to see what "Joe" thinks of this online tar-and-feathers routine.

If he does try to open up a can on me, then I can handle it. I'm not a "12-year old girl with one arm in a cast, who has just escaped from an orphanage where they only served brussels sprouts, with three days left to live, and a tragically-weak bladder". This whole online smear campaign, where "Joe" doesn't have the chance to respond, doesn't sit right with me.

It is one thing to write a review that describes a bad experience at a business. That would be a good thing that helps people. It is something different to invest time in a long-term, aggressive effort to dissuade other people from doing business there.

Greg

Supreme Being
09-07-2012, 07:28
As a hiker who's preparing for the AT, I like to know the good and the bad of what's ahead. It's called your "reputation." And good or bad, it's what you earn ​by the way you treat others.

Don H
09-07-2012, 07:42
Larry makes a great sandwich.
There are other options nearby but you walk right past Joe to Go.
The AT Guide doesn't even list Joe to Go.
When I do that section again I'll stop by, it's too convenient not to. I'll just leave my pack outside on the bench.

bamboo bob
09-07-2012, 10:58
Oh. Worthington's ! Great place. Closed Tuesdays, is what I really remember. All this whining about Joe's just sounds so pathetic. Walk by if you want to. The Pub next door is good but not open in the morning. If you want nasty go to the motel near there. He'll pick you up and take you back to the trail. A dump for sure, but good enough. The entitlement mentality rules the AT. Usually all the real whiners are gone before NJ. Also I've met Sunshine and Balls, I bet they were less upset than all the whiners on WB.

Mags
09-07-2012, 12:39
Also I've met Sunshine and Balls, I bet they were less upset than all the whiners on WB.

Wanna-be AT thru-hikers tend to be the most vocal.

Note, I think there is a huge difference between Wanna-bes and Gonna-bes.

Gonna-bes plan, ask pertinent question, are enthusiastic and positive about their upcoming long hikes. Wanna-bes moan, complain and end up posting more than hiking and often vanish after their alleged start of their long hike.

Gonna-bes are cool and you root for them. If they have to cut their hike short early, it's all good. You know they'll be there out hiking again, possibly doing trail work and contributing positively to their community.

Wanna-bes? Much like ants at a picnic, you expect them, get annoyed with them but realize it is just a nuisance and not worth bothering about. Brush them off and grab that delicious sandwich that you bought from Joe's earlier.

Berserker
09-07-2012, 13:23
I stopped in at this place on a June section hike this year. Some thrus sitting on the bench outside tipped me off to this guy's reputation. I went in and bought some drinks and a banana. I didn't have any issues with the dude. He seemed neither friendly nor snippy. Maybe he was in a "good" mood that day...maybe it's cause I'm 6'-5" and could potentially be perceived as intimidating...maybe the wind (and rain) was blowing the right way that day...who knows.

Don H
09-07-2012, 17:54
So how was the food?

I bought two whole turkey subs, one I ate there for lunch, the other I had for dinner. They were great, packed full, but I was still hungry. Good thing I bought a few bags of M&M Peanuts for dessert.

Lion King
09-07-2012, 18:35
Been there twice, he was great to me twice.

As I was there i saw an idiot hiker walk in SOAKED< stinking like ass with his dripping backpack, put that dirty wet thing on the floor, tromped mud straight to the counter (the old man was in the back) and started drumming his fingers on the counter.

'Joe' came out and told him to put his pack out side and remove his muddy shoes

"But its raining", says the candyass hiker who didnt respect the mans signs and wishes.

Too many crybabies, stay in the woods, if you break his rule, dont be a whiny ass female dog when he loses his cool, he has to deal with uppity needy self important hikers for months on end, and maybe if he treats you bad when you walk in, maybe he just dealt with 5 or 6 complete AHOLES that people all over the trail know about but who no one will say, "Hey, you guys are aholes, knock it off", so his anger may be based on profiling.

Seriously, if you see it as even a potential problem, if you dont wish to follow his simple instructions "NO packs, Water FOR SALE, Picnic table on side, please put gear there, etc...etc...etc..." then stay the hell away from there.

Simple, Jesus...

mag
09-07-2012, 19:53
Been there twice, he was great to me twice.

As I was there i saw an idiot hiker walk in SOAKED< stinking like ass with his dripping backpack, put that dirty wet thing on the floor, tromped mud straight to the counter (the old man was in the back) and started drumming his fingers on the counter.

'Joe' came out and told him to put his pack out side and remove his muddy shoes

"But its raining", says the candyass hiker who didnt respect the mans signs and wishes.

Too many crybabies, stay in the woods, if you break his rule, dont be a whiny ass female dog when he loses his cool, he has to deal with uppity needy self important hikers for months on end, and maybe if he treats you bad when you walk in, maybe he just dealt with 5 or 6 complete AHOLES that people all over the trail know about but who no one will say, "Hey, you guys are aholes, knock it off", so his anger may be based on profiling.

Seriously, if you see it as even a potential problem, if you dont wish to follow his simple instructions "NO packs, Water FOR SALE, Picnic table on side, please put gear there, etc...etc...etc..." then stay the hell away from there.

Simple, Jesus...

Jesus was there?

Mags
09-07-2012, 20:47
Jesus was there?

The sandwiches were that good.

Jesus' second coming is really to get a capicola on a crusty roll with red-roasted peppers, provolone, red onion, fresh basil and doused with oil and vinegar.

That's the way I choose to remember it anyway...

Sarcasm the elf
09-07-2012, 21:17
The sandwiches were that good.

Jesus' second coming is really to get a capicola on a crusty roll with red-roasted peppers, provolone, red onion, fresh basil and doused with oil and vinegar.

That's the way I choose to remember it anyway...

From sunday service at the church of the holy prosciutto? :D

rjjones
09-07-2012, 21:19
I like your post lion king.You need to give respect to get respect.And if you dont get it,dont go there anymore.Seems pretty simple to me.

WIAPilot
09-07-2012, 23:34
Is it wrong to say that I hoped Joe was dead by now? We had a miserable encounter with him in 2008. How a person can possess so much vemon, I hope to never understand.

This topic has been dead for quite a while. I suspect (with one post) that VigilAuntie is a troll just trying to stir the old WB pot. I think everyone should stop at Joe to Goes and find out for themselves instead of debating this endlessly.

coach lou
09-07-2012, 23:41

Dave & Paul, don't you love to hear people say capicola............................elevenola, eleveno, elevenini, elevenolo

Rasty
09-07-2012, 23:43

Dave & Paul, don't you love to hear people say capicola............................elevenola, eleveno, elevenini, elevenolo

Give me Soppresatta or give me death. Or should I say Mortadella?

TD55
09-08-2012, 00:08
This topic has been dead for quite a while. I suspect (with one post) that VigilAuntie is a troll just trying to stir the old WB pot. I think everyone should stop at Joe to Goes and find out for themselves instead of debating this endlessly.

But first lets tag it with some cafe graffiti.

ChinMusic
09-08-2012, 00:45
This topic has been dead for quite a while.

I was starting to think the same of you.............lol

WIAPilot
09-08-2012, 00:57
I was starting to think the same of you.............lol

Just an induced coma. :cool:

Driver8
09-08-2012, 01:49
It is one thing to write a review that describes a bad experience at a business. That would be a good thing that helps people. It is something different to invest time in a long-term, aggressive effort to dissuade other people from doing business there.

And it's yet another thing to conjure up such a campaign in one's imagination when it doesn't exist. What long-term effort? This thread was active for 12 hours short of a week in June, and was revived a couple days ago, garnering 20 or so new posts. Big whoop. Some people have had a bad experience with the guy. That word has spread. Some people like the food he serves and have had no problem with him, others like his food and can see where he's a problem and overlook it. Big whoop. Hope you enjoy both the man's food and his company when you stop by. Hope the same for all who do. I'll probably steer clear, but I ain't losing sleep over it anyhow.

Driver8
09-08-2012, 01:57

I swear the more posts I see about how good the sangwiches are, the more I want to stop by. So the guy's an SOB, a good hogie or one pound turkey on a hard roll is a pretty valuable commodity. Leave your pack outside and respect the fussy shopowner. But he shouldn't have been mean to Sunshine, though. I can see that annoying people. ...

Mags
09-08-2012, 01:59

You still hear people in my old neck of the woods use the Napoli dialect for this word: "gabigol' "

Now about this church of the holy prosciutto... I just may start attending church again....

Cookerhiker
09-08-2012, 08:01
...Jesus' second coming is really to get a capicola on a crusty roll with red-roasted peppers, provolone, red onion, fresh basil and doused with oil and vinegar....

And here I thought it was for Shepherd's Pie and a pint of Guinness!

coach lou
09-08-2012, 08:12
And here I thought it was for Shepherd's Pie and a pint of Guinness!

Cooker, the next time thru Connecticut, The Elf and I will have to feed you!

Drybones
09-08-2012, 08:41
It's interesting how people have varying experiences at places like this, some good, some bad. I'm sure a lot of it is one or the other or both getting up on the wrong side of the bed and having a bad day. I had a negative experience at Standing Bear but most posters seem to be okay with the place, just as some are okay with Joe. In my case, granted I may have been a grumpy old man after walking all day and I'll take at least half the responsibilty, but the owner trying to start a physical conflict with another hiker who was a 71 yr old man because he opened a wrong door looking for someone to help him is not acceptable under any circumstances, same with Joe, cut a 12 yr old girl a break!

Don H
09-08-2012, 09:18
+ 1 on Standing Bear!

Driver8, you won't walk past Joe's, the smell of fresh cut turkey will suck you in!
And those ice cold cans of Mug root beer are priceless!

Driver8
09-08-2012, 11:21
Cooker, the next time thru Connecticut, The Elf and I will have to feed you!

Yeah, Cook. There's good food in Hartford area, greater food in New Haven. Italian is most famous in the Have, but there's a panoply of good restaurants from around the world in that town. I picked a great place to go to college. :)

Driver8
09-08-2012, 11:26
You still hear people in my old neck of the woods use the Napoli dialect for this word: "gabigol' "

Now about this church of the holy prosciutto... I just may start attending church again....

I used to have a dear 80-something italian landlady in Hartford who would speak glowingly of the best "churches" in town for "brozhoot." Religious fervor comes upon you quickly in such cases. ...

Driver8
09-08-2012, 11:27
+ 1 on Standing Bear!

Driver8, you won't walk past Joe's, the smell of fresh cut turkey will suck you in!
And those ice cold cans of Mug root beer are priceless!

OK, now you're just tormenting me, Don. I ain't got time to drive down to Jersey right now, dadgummit. That's it! I'm starting a flame war! :eek:

Driver8
09-08-2012, 11:28
@Don: Your mother wears army boots. :P

Drybones
09-08-2012, 11:40
same with Joe, cut a 12 yr old girl a break!

Favorite hikers I met this spring. They did 19 miles this day. The little girl was still pretty peppy, the dad was done for.

Wise Old Owl
09-08-2012, 11:46
Found this review on Yelp I am surprised some one dug this old thread up.

6/17/2012 This is a horrible place run by a crazed lunatic. He has the cops called on him almost weekly by customers that he has screamed, cussed at and scared away. No public restroom, Seriously, this guy is nuts and go here only if you want to be yelled and cussed at.

Drybones
09-08-2012, 11:51
6/17/2012 Seriously, this guy is nuts and go here only if you want to be yelled and cussed at.

I dont have to walk 2000 miles to get that kind of treatment...I have a wife for that.

max patch
09-08-2012, 11:53
Found this review on Yelp I am surprised some one dug this old thread up.

6/17/2012 This is a horrible place run by a crazed lunatic. He has the cops called on him almost weekly by customers that he has screamed, cussed at and scared away. No public restroom, Seriously, this guy is nuts and go here only if you want to be yelled and cussed at.

This thread was started 6/14.

"Somebody" bitched on Yelp 6/17.

The question is which WB member this is.

Wise Old Owl
09-08-2012, 12:05
Wasn't me.

Moose2001
09-08-2012, 12:06
I like your post lion king.You need to give respect to get respect.And if you dont get it,dont go there anymore.Seems pretty simple to me.

That's my experience with Joe as well. I've stopped there on two different thrus and had no bad experience with him nor witnessed any. He makes a great sandwich which in one case I ate outside and the other packed out with me. If more thrus would treat others well, all of us would have less problems!

JohnWayne
09-08-2012, 13:05
This thread was started 6/14.

"Somebody" bitched on Yelp 6/17.

The question is which WB member this is.

Yelp review was by Rob B out of Idaho. The dude has 4 other reviews so probably just another bad experience. Someone on WB would have created a new Yelp ID.

Don't rightly see how complaining how you are treated means you're a whiner or ain't a real hiker.

Every daddy or grandpapa out there, you have your little girl asking politely to use the facilities and having the both of you yelled at and told to get out of Dodge and see if you would cotton up to that.

I ain't been in the place and maybe I will and maybe I won't but it's sure good to have a heads up bout what to expect.

max patch
09-08-2012, 14:01
Maybe. Maybe not.

Don't know how a guy from Idaho is gonna know that "the cops are called every week".

Don H
09-08-2012, 14:57
@Don: Your mother wears army boots. :P
No she don't, she wears Danners!

I heard sometimes Joe runs a special, turkey club sandwich with a free bottle of water, but you have to ask for it ;)

He does mail order too!

Malto
09-08-2012, 15:26
Until this thread was revived I didn't realized that I had actually been in this place in late June. It was early morning and I stopped in the get breakfast. I saw the sign for the pack and left it outside as asked. I selected a couple of items and went to counter only to discover they didn't take credit cards and I didn't have any cash. I put the items back, talked to the "grumpy guy" and left. He certainly could have been unfriendly with me given I wasted his time but he was neither overly friendly or unfriendly. Like many others he is probably liked by some, unliked by other, has grumpy days and happy days. I suspect he has had a few less than stellar interactions with hikers (like many in trail towns) and may be a bit too quick to react to hikers.

WIAPilot
09-08-2012, 18:16
No she don't, she wears Danners!

I heard sometimes Joe runs a special, turkey club sandwich with a free bottle of water, but you have to ask for it ;)

He does mail order too!

And his mail orders come with recorded messages of "Joe" shouting at ya! :D He's probably an OK guy - just one you have to be a little careful following his rules. And in that respect, it only helps that WB has passed along what those rules are. Everyone will know his rules upfront and make their own decision whether to stop or not. Probably both Joe and his customers will be a lot happier this way.

Don H
09-08-2012, 21:02
I heard someone had left a note on a tree just before Joe's saying "Free water at Joe to Go, ask inside".
No wonder the poor guy is so mean!

Hairbear
09-09-2012, 07:15
Dave & Paul, don't you love to hear people say capicola............................elevenola, eleveno, elevenini, elevenololol,,,,,,....

VigilAuntie
10-05-2012, 01:23

Actually, I am a thru-hiker (GA-ME '08). I was working in my garden, and, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I thought about the poor treatment my partner and I received at Joe To Go years earlier. Later, I googled "Joe To Go New Jersey" and found this thread, where I expected that I might encounter friendly folks who had similar experiences. I did not read the entire thread, but I noted that several others had made comments about their own experiences of poor treatment at the hands of "Joe." But thanks so much for calling me a troll. Classy.

During our thru-hike, my partner and I stopped at Joe To Go for breakfast. We had heard of "Joe's" bad behavior, but we were on our best behavior and expected no problems. We left our packs outside, and we did not stink. We're a couple of middle-aged women with excellent hygiene, who often heard people say, "You're thru-hikers? But you don't stink??" While I was innocently waiting for our order, which had been placed, my partner went to the restroom. To the best of my recollection, it was not behind the counter, it was in the public area. The reason she felt free to enter was that another patron entered, used, and exited the restroom, which was marked "office." (My partner thought that "office" was a joke.) "Joe" watched her enter and said nothing. I should have suspected that something was up because even though I was next in line, our order was not being prepared and no one was ringing me up. When my partner exited the restroom, Joe berated her in front of the several other patrons and threw us both out of our ears. My partner is one of the nicest people you could ever meet, but "Joe" refused to accept her very sincere apologies. We were both dumbfounded. In hindsight, I wish I had been an ass, because, in my opinion, that is exactly what this guy deserved. But frankly we were just too stunned to respond. We are not trouble makers, and we have never encountered this type of treatment before or since.

For the record, I am not trying to persuade anyone not to patronize this business. If this is your scene, go for it. You might get lucky. Some other hikers that we were with got served without incident. Just don't break any of the unwritten rules - and hope that no one in your party does either. I joined in the conversation imagining that I might commiserate with my fellow hikers. If yours is the type of greeting I can expect at White Blaze, then you are not the kind of people with whom I wish associate.

Driver8
10-05-2012, 01:28
For the record, I am not trying to persuade anyone not to patronize this business. If this is your scene, go for it. You might get lucky. Some other hikers that we were with got served without incident. Just don't break any of the unwritten rules - and hope that no one in your party does either. I joined in the conversation imagining that I might commiserate with my fellow hikers. If yours is the type of greeting I can expect at White Blaze, then you are not the kind of people with whom I wish associate.

There's a mix of people here, VA, some friendly, some closer to Joe. Lots of smart, helpful hikers and a good community, though sometimes there is crossfire. Welcome! :)_

ChinMusic
10-05-2012, 01:35
I joined in the conversation imagining that I might commiserate with my fellow hikers. If yours is the type of greeting I can expect at White Blaze, then you are not the kind of people with whom I wish associate.

Your first post on WB included the following:

Is it wrong to say that I hoped Joe was dead by now?

And you have the nerve to lecture others on civility?

HikerMom58
10-05-2012, 05:46
Actually, I am a thru-hiker (GA-ME '08). I was working in my garden, and, for reasons unbeknownst to me, I thought about the poor treatment my partner and I received at Joe To Go years earlier. Later, I googled "Joe To Go New Jersey" and found this thread, where I expected that I might encounter friendly folks who had similar experiences. I did not read the entire thread, but I noted that several others had made comments about their own experiences of poor treatment at the hands of "Joe." But thanks so much for calling me a troll. Classy.

During our thru-hike, my partner and I stopped at Joe To Go for breakfast. We had heard of "Joe's" bad behavior, but we were on our best behavior and expected no problems. We left our packs outside, and we did not stink. We're a couple of middle-aged women with excellent hygiene, who often heard people say, "You're thru-hikers? But you don't stink??" While I was innocently waiting for our order, which had been placed, my partner went to the restroom. To the best of my recollection, it was not behind the counter, it was in the public area. The reason she felt free to enter was that another patron entered, used, and exited the restroom, which was marked "office." (My partner thought that "office" was a joke.) "Joe" watched her enter and said nothing. I should have suspected that something was up because even though I was next in line, our order was not being prepared and no one was ringing me up. When my partner exited the restroom, Joe berated her in front of the several other patrons and threw us both out of our ears. My partner is one of the nicest people you could ever meet, but "Joe" refused to accept her very sincere apologies. We were both dumbfounded. In hindsight, I wish I had been an ass, because, in my opinion, that is exactly what this guy deserved. But frankly we were just too stunned to respond. We are not trouble makers, and we have never encountered this type of treatment before or since.

Hey VigilAuntie...

I remember you from your thru hike in 08. I read your TJ's. I remember you were Certain's friend. :) Are you still in touch with her? I meet her at Trail Days in 09. :) Anyway, Driver8 is telling you the truth. You are welcome here. I know you would have a lot of helpful info for other hikers.

HikerMom58
10-05-2012, 05:57
Your first post on WB included the following:

And you have the nerve to lecture others on civility?

Chin... the first thing you quoted her on was her reaction to being called a troll... understandable reaction.

the second thing you quoted her on was her reaction to the treatment she and her partner received at Joe's..... you are taking people's comments, without understanding, and shoving them back in their face with a judgemental spin to boot.... :(

Don H
10-05-2012, 07:15
I'm sure Larry (owner of Joe's) is enjoying the free publicity.

The bathroom is not in the public space, it is actually behind the counter. Allowing the public to use the bathroom is in violation of the NJ health code.

John B
10-05-2012, 07:28
I'm sure Larry (owner of Joe's) is enjoying the free publicity.

The bathroom is not in the public space, it is actually behind the counter. Allowing the public to use the bathroom is in violation of the NJ health code.

Just curious if the NJ health code allows for some members of the public to go behind the counter and use the restroom and not others?

Lone Wolf
10-05-2012, 08:30
Just curious if the NJ health code allows for some members of the public to go behind the counter and use the restroom and not others?

it's a locals/regular thing. the pub in hot springs used to charge hikers more for beer than locals.

Don H
10-05-2012, 08:56
Nope, he might get a citation if a health inspector saw it.

8:24-6.6 Toilet facilities

(d) When a common toilet is used for employees andpatrons, access shall not be through foodpreparation, food storage and utensils and equipmentwashing areas.

WingedMonkey
10-05-2012, 09:10
Actually, I am a thru-hiker (GA-ME '08). But thanks so much for calling me a troll. Classy.

Hope you come back for more. Some people base thier knowledge from reading journals and facebook, some base knowledge from experience.

Gray Blazer
10-05-2012, 10:02
Nope, he might get a citation if a health inspector saw it.

8:24-6.6 Toilet facilities

(d) When a common toilet is used for employees andpatrons, access shall not be through foodpreparation, food storage and utensils and equipmentwashing areas.

At that rate, they would have to close down the whole AT.

ChinMusic
06-23-2013, 16:34
no, the "hiker community doesn't need to be warned" about this place and it should be kept in any and all guides. it's a place that offers food and drink along the trail. authors of such guides need to stay neutral. lotta whinin' goin' on here. suck it up and walk
Just ate at Joe to Go today. I ordered a Taylor Ham sandwich and Diet Coke. To my "surprise" no one bit me.

It seems as if one can follow some simple rules, rules that really are quite reasonable, the experience is down right pleasant, albeit in a somewhat curmudgeonly way. The food was very good. I will try to hit this place again on the way out of town.

Jeff
06-23-2013, 16:43
It seems as if one can follow some simple rules, rules that really are quite reasonable, the experience is down right pleasant, albeit in a somewhat curmudgeonly way. The food was very good. I will try to hit this place again on the way out of town.

Good for you ChinMusic...nice to know things work out if you use a little common sense.

HikerMom58
06-23-2013, 17:03
Chin Music.... you are moving really fast up the trail. BE SURE to stay with Jeff ^^^^ ---the Green Mountain Hostel in VT. He seems super NICE! His place looks AMAZING!!

Chin... check out post # 234, I think it is... LOL!! I'm gettin on ur case about somethin... it's so FUNnY...:D Booyeah!!! Remember when you found something that you said to mee.... I think I was getting back at ya! ;)

I'm glad you had a great experience!!

Wise Old Owl
06-23-2013, 17:27
Just ate at Joe to Go today. I ordered a Taylor Ham sandwich and Diet Coke. To my "surprise" no one bit me.

that was my take when I visited last month. Larry works hard and is by himself trying to support himself well past retirement. He isn't going to get rich and must like having a morning job. No at his age I doubt he can crack a smile. Someday someone will see the potential and buy it. Then things will change...

Don H
06-23-2013, 17:39
Good to hear Chin. I think most people want to be treated with respect and will return in kind.
I've been to Joe's twice and never had a problem. He makes a great sandwich.

Sarcasm the elf
06-23-2013, 17:47
While we're at it, what ever happened to WIApilot?

rocketsocks
06-23-2013, 17:51
If a young girl asks to use the bathroom...ya let her, why should be obvious....I'll not say anymore about this topic...glad you had a good sandwich Chin, and that service was exceptionable, maybe Larry has wised up a bit.

coach lou
06-23-2013, 18:03
My experience there was pleasant, and will return with my business:)

Lone Wolf
06-23-2013, 20:47

too bad that PIA Pilot chick never went there:cool:

Rasty
06-23-2013, 21:06

too bad that PIA Pilot chick never went there:cool:

PIA or WIA?