PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Traverse - Gros Morne - IAT

Old Hillwalker
06-14-2012, 15:29
Four of us have reservations for July 12 departure taking the boat ride to the Long Range Traverse trail head on Great Eastern Pond Newfoundland. We have been allocated 5 days to complete the trip. Interesting that they supply a Spot type device that has to be carried on this trip. Looks like I can get some time in on honing my map and compass skills. They also have a qualification exam and interview the day before departure. Only nine permits are given out a day for the traverse. $60 per person $$$$

Should be fun

Anyone on the forum have any experiance with this traverse? It's only 20 miles or so.

Spirit Walker
06-14-2012, 17:01
Haven't hiked it, but we visited the Park a couple of times and hiked all the short trails there. We also watched the video on the two traverses and took the boat out to where the traverse begins. I envy you the chance to do this hike. Newfoundland is spectacular. However, don't underestimate the difficulty. Weather is the biggest issue. You may end up tentbound for a day or two due to whiteout conditions. Hiking where there are no trails is very different from trail hiking. Slow, but very satisfying.

Papa Tac
07-22-2012, 14:16
Hey, my first post!
Just found the site while researching UL stoves, and oh yeah, beentheredonethat!
(not to pick, but its Western Brook Pond that you will travel to reach the trailhead - a ~2.5hr boat tour)
I used to work for Parks Canada in GMNP, and have done all the park's trails multiple times before and since - in fact, we just returned last week.
I live just a few miles from the southern terminus of the iat-sia near Table Mtn (another fine traverse of the Long Range Mountains)
I could go on forever, but let me reiterate the above - potential for white-out from cloud or fog, and it can force you to lay low for longer than you'd think. Bring food for an extra 1-3 days just in case.
Also there are trails to follow, but they have mainly been laid by Caribou, and those guys don't follow the map :rolleyes:. Don't trust them.
Map and compass skill are must.
Also, thar be bear, but very few tall trees to hang food - the terrain is what we call the Barrens - lots of vegetation, very little taller than a man, most just to your knees (gaiters are a must)
I'll stop now - glad to answer any questions
(just looked back at your post -July 12 departure - hope you had a great trip)

Old Hillwalker
07-24-2012, 07:05
We got back home yesterday after an excellant trip of 3200 miles of driving and travel through Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador. The LRT was fantastic. We got hit with heavy rain midway through the hike so we pushed on, skipping the last two designated camping sites. We completed the traverse in three days and two nights since the rain and clouds prevented views, and there is absolutely no shelter from the rain. You definatey need good map and compass skills on this hike as the Caribou trails lead everywhere and the terrain is very complicated. Sadly, the five helicopter placed campsites were in very poor condition. Many tent platforms had been destroyed severe winter weather and high winds. The plastic half privys were mostly full and pretty nasty, and bear boxes loaded with discarded equipment and trash. The cost of the hike, including the $60 boat ride to the trailhead amounts to $150 per person. Since the boat trip was only one way compared to the full trip, we felt that our boat fare should have been $30. Still it was a worthwhile trip for our small group of four. Walking on the tundra was a bit like walking on a soggy sponge. Ever footstep was accompanied by a squelching sound. Wet feet were a common theme. Tenting was mostly only practical on tent platforms due to the very wet ground, or very rocky terrain. Using a hammock would be impractical due to the absence of large trees virtually everywhere. I carried and used a HD headcam for the trip and look forward to making a series of videos documenting the trip. I brought home 210 gigabytes of raw High Defination Video footage. As part of the trip we hiked to the North American terminus of the International Appalachian Trail (SIA/IAT) on Isle Royale and Crow Head.

Spirit Walker
08-02-2012, 22:25
How did your hike go?