PDA

View Full Version : Tarp tent and snakes?

mbroadhe
04-15-2005, 02:10
I am planning on switching out my hammock this year for a poncho / tarp tent to lose some weight. I've been told to watch doing this because snakes tend to "look" for warm places to sleep and may be attracted to a warm body on the ground. Is this something to worry about or just a scare tactic? I'm hitting the section between the Susquehanna and Port Clinton this year in PA and from reading around, it sounds like most snake encounters came in this state. I'm not horribly worried about it, but don't really like the idea of having a snake try to get in my bag while I'm sleeping and accidently ticking him off.

hauptman
04-15-2005, 06:12
I have been a pa. resident my whole life and most of my backpacking experience comes from the area. I have been using tarps and/or tube tents in the very areas of which you speak for years now and have never had this problem.
By the way I have never even seen a venomous snake in the area although I know that they are there. Beleive me they want to stay as far away from you as they can get. If you keep an eye out though you might have the distinct pleasure of encountering a black rat snake, a kingsnake, or the like. Great photo opportunity!!
p.s., while you might rarely ever see a rattlesnake or the like, if you are lucky(like my brother recently was) you might hear one rattling at some point during your hike.
-no worries man, them snakes are cool critters!!!

RockyTrail
04-15-2005, 09:22
Relax, snakes aren't inclined at all to come snuggle up with you; they want to get as far away from you as possible. They can feel your footsteps and will get away if they can.

Snakes are cold-blooded (they don't generate their own body heat) so they do like to lie out on sunny rocks sometimes or even roads to warm up. I saw a black rat snake doing this on a gravel road last Saturday. Rocky outcroppings are also places to watch out for.

It is good practice to watch your step when going off-trail, especially stepping over logs. I step on top of the log instead of just over it because they do like to sit next to logs for shelter. I used to collect snakes years ago when it was legal and could find one under every 3rd or 4th log I flipped over. They're scared of you, don't worry about it, you'll be fine.:sun

SGT Rock
04-15-2005, 09:44
You have more to worry about with mice trying to get close you you thatn with snakes.

"ME & U"
04-15-2005, 09:53
We spotted 5 rattle snakes, a gigantic black snake, and a way too scary copperhead just north of Port Clinton on our thru... a lucky day for us!

The experience left "US" with permenant mental snake goggles and you wouldn't catch me dead in a tarp there! Of course, it was 90 degrees out and the snakes were doing their sunning thing, and I'm sure, with the exception of the copperhead, they'd prefer to be out during the day... at any rate, the bastards freak "ME" out so that should be good enough for "U"!:D

Youngblood
04-15-2005, 09:58
You have more to worry about with mice trying to get close you you thatn with snakes.
It was the spidders that were always crawling around on me when I tarped on the ground... those kind with the long legs that always seem to be moving. The long legs made it easy to pick them up and place them somewhere else.

Skyline
04-15-2005, 10:24
Unlikely but possible. If the thought of a snake snuggling up to you freaks you out, don't lose sleep over it--just switch to an enclosed tent instead of an open tarp.

Two popular and very lightweight brands of tents (actually, real tarp-tents--which IMHO are more tent than tarp) are made by Henry Shires and Six Moon Designs. For about 2 lbs. or less you can have a single-wall lightweight waterproof shelter with a floor, netting for ventilation and to keep out bugs, and a zippered door.

Pencil Pusher
04-15-2005, 12:03
I have heard it important to sleep with a machete by your leg, just in case the dreaded Appalachian Annaconda comes slithering up to your tarp. The Annaconda will open it's jaws to start swallowing your leg. Don't mind the slippery feeling of your leg being swallowed. Instead, just wait for the head to approach your knee and then simply pivot your machete outwards to severe the jaw of the snake. Remove leg and cut off head to avoid further incident. IMPORTANT: Make sure your head isn't the first thing that gets swallowed. Always remember, feet first!

BookBurner
04-15-2005, 12:15
I think the snake/bed is yet another urban myth. I have, however, woken up several nights (when camped near shelters) to find a mouse trapped in the tarptent. Mice know how to scurry under the inward-draped netting but they can't figure out how to lift it to get out. In spite of that one nuisance, thought, I still love the tarptent!

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

mbroadhe
04-15-2005, 21:04
I think I had that slippery feeling on my leg once from the Appalachian Anaconda. I just told myself it was a wet dream the next morning and forgot about it. Maybe he saw there was another snake already living in my pants and decided I was his meal and left me alone. :D OTOH, I appreciate the information. I wasn't overly freaked out about it, I was just questioning the possibility of it. I know little about the habits of snakes and thought I'd ask. I guess my snoring would keep them away.

Doctari
04-16-2005, 09:01
From what I have heard from my friends who know snakes, that whole "a snake crawled into his sleeping bag with him to get warm" is an Urban Legend. Or at least a tabloid legend :)

Mice on the other hand are mostly not afraid of us, especially those conditioned to it, like those in shelters & established camp sites. My pet rats (8) actually sleep with the cats (5) & neither seem bothered by this.
One of the reasons I don't stay in shelters, & avoid established campsites if possible.

Doctari.

alanthealan
04-16-2005, 13:16
I wouldn't belive all this people who say it's not a problem. They have never woke up to a slithering serpent between their legs.

Rancid
04-16-2005, 20:45
I think that the hammock is most useful in PA due to the rocks. I live and do most of my weekend hiking in PA, and I don't think I've ever slept on the ground here without having a stone sticking me in the back. By morning they usually feel like a boulder !! The hammock has been my best purchase since I started hiking (too many years ago).
Oh yes, this is about snakes. The only time that I've encountered them were on warm rocks on sunny days and down between rocks on outcrops like the Pinnacle and Pulpit. I believe they know that the Hawks are drifting above. If you drop something, pick it up with a stick.

RockyTrail
04-16-2005, 20:47
I wouldn't belive all this people who say it's not a problem. They have never woke up to a slithering serpent between their legs.Please, tell us more...never heard of this happening, but if so would like to hear the details, enquiring minds want to know.

The only time I've ever seen a snake in a tent was in my Scout troop in the 1960s. A rattler was found in a tent that had been left up all day and it crawled in to get out of the midday sun. We had "Voyager" tents (oversize canvas pup tents for 2) with no floors. A scout looked in during late afternoon and saw it before entering. But this is very different from one approaching and remaining close to a human.

Rancid
04-16-2005, 21:20
I wouldn't belive all this people who say it's not a problem. They have never woke up to a slithering serpent between their legs.
I'm biting my tongue-won't go there

neo
04-16-2005, 22:16
i have had sluggs in my tarp when i stealth camped between a couple rotten trees near the road to salisbury ct last year,but never no snakes:cool: neo

sluggs suck,yuck

Ridge
04-16-2005, 22:22
...a scorpion crawled on my face and I, in my sleep, swiped the sucker. A terrible sting under the eye. I barely could see good enough to get to help the next morning. I now use a one-man tent with plenty of ventilation.

Rain Man
04-17-2005, 09:41
.... My pet rats (8) actually sleep with the cats (5) & neither seem bothered by this. One of the reasons I don't stay in shelters, & avoid established campsites if possible.

Heck, Doctari, I wouldn't let you in a shelter with me either, with that menagerie!!!
:jump
Actually, I might. Would keep down on the native pests. Let me think....
Rain:sunMan