PDA

View Full Version : Contacts Vs. Glasses!

bert_wall
06-15-2012, 00:50
Hey guys,
Hope all is well. I had a question that I have not been able to find too much info on. Let me start by saying that I could be classified as being legally blind without optic help. So, I was wondering if anyone has hiked while wearing contacts or if typically people just sport glasses? Preferably I would wear contacts but I wasn't sure on the ease of purchasing solution along the way as well as how hard it would be to keep your contacts clean. In the past when I have traveled with solution the provided bottle has leaked somehow no matter how many attempts to prevent it. If anyone has any knowledge on this matter or advice I would be much appreciated to hear it! Thanks for the help.

Happy Trails,
Bert.

MuddyWaters
06-15-2012, 01:06
I would not hike in contacts if they were "daily wear". Extended wear would be much less of an issue. What I didnt like about extended wear lenses, was having my eyes all sticky-shut in the morning until I took a shower and it loosened up. There arent many showers on the trail in the mornings to assist with that. Today, I just wear glasses. Contacts are too much trouble .....for me. And If I wore contacts, Id have solution AND glasses in my pack, total about 1/4 lb at least that I dont need to carry if I just wear glasses. I think you can find some kind of contact solution in just about every convenience store, so I wouldnt worry about that.

Miner
06-15-2012, 01:42
I know people who like hiking with Daily Wear contacts (no worries if you lose one since you have several more with you so no need for backup glasses) and those who like using extended wear contacts so that they don't need to touch their eyes outside of town. On my PCT thru-hike I alternated between using extended wear contacts and my glasses every week or two so my eyes could breath occasionally. On my AT SOBO hike next month, I've decided to just take my glasses which have those transition lenses that darken in sunlight so I can leave my sunglasses at home.

heavyfoot
06-15-2012, 06:03
I wear hard (rigid) contacts that I remove, clean and store each night. I wear glasses after I've taken the contacts out at night. I do not like hiking in glasses, to omuch fussing and problems with rain and fogged over lenses, so contacts work better for me.

I've had no problems with the contacts except I learned the hard way to sleep with my contact lense case in the bag with me in freezing weather - otherwise the lenses and soaking solution freeze and you have to wait for them to thaw before you can put them in in the morning.

Hikes in Rain
06-15-2012, 17:28
Hike in my contacts all the time. I'd rather hike without my pants than my contacts. Just wash your hands, and as Heavyfoot says, keep them warm. Even if they don't freeze, a near freezing contact hitting your eye is, well, an eye opening experience!

Barrett
06-16-2012, 00:26
My problem with contacts and hiking used to be the little packages getting punctured and they would end up dry by the time I tried to put new ones in. That along with my eyes being excessively dry in the morning made them a bigger head ache than they were worth.

LASIK solved the issue.

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 11:04
The AT is one of the main reasons I am having LASIK surgery. Problem solved and usually about $5000 for both eyes.

Bookworm2
06-16-2012, 12:51
LASIK is definitely something I want to get in the future, but as long as my vision keeps changing it's just not feasible. For now, I bring both glasses (which I use as backups) and contacts. I carry travel sized solution (or I put solution in a smaller bottle if it's a short weekend trip) and am fastidious about cleaning my hands before taking them out or putting them in.
I did sleep in them on one trip and woke up during the night and was able to see the stars. It was amazing being able to SEE when I woke up! I'm so blind w/out my contacts. :)

Theosus
06-16-2012, 22:26
My vision has been bad for years. I'm nearsighted, but getting better as I age. I've had to get my glasses weaker the past two times. So LASIK is out for me.

I tried contacts. Never really liked them for normal use. I can't imagine hiking in them... Glasses for me.