PDA

View Full Version : Fire Risk?

makincaid
06-15-2012, 08:12
I am planning to start a Colorado trail through-hike in a couple of weeks. I've heard that there are some major forest fires out in Colorado. Does anyone know if these fires pose a threat to the trail? Is there a place to check this?

Also, will I need mosquito netting to hike the CT in July?

Any good advice for preventing altitude sickness?

Thanks for the help.

Mags
06-15-2012, 09:42
The fires are outside of Ft. Collins and (luckily) far away from the trail.

The CTF Facebook page is often the first place to be updated with any info:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Colorado-Trail-Foundation/115337198486403

To HELP prevent (nothing is 100%) get in to Denver two days early and realax. Dude the first ~70 miles of the trail at a relaxed (10-15 MPD) pace. Hydrate!

Finally, you'll want mosquito netting for your shelter in July but not necessarily for a head net.

Hope this helps.

makincaid
06-17-2012, 09:24
Thank you MAGS.

Cookerhiker
06-17-2012, 16:43
We started July 24. Mosquitos were a PITA for the first 10 days or so but I wouldn't bring a headnet. There was one night when we retreated into the tents early to escape them. Personally, I don't like to use repellant and managed to refrain from doing so, chiefly by changing into long pants, hat, and my windbreaker when we reached camp.

They were rarely bothersome when we were moving.

Papa D
06-17-2012, 21:10
i'm starting in 3 weeks and worried about the same issues - drought, fires, smoke from fires, etc. I'm experienced and in good hiking shape and pretty resourceful, but the point of this is having fun - hope I will and that I'm making the right decision to go - MAGS says so .........