PDA

View Full Version : Package to Muir Trail Ranch

Two of a Kind
06-15-2012, 12:48
I was just on the MTR website, and I saw info for them doing a bucket drop-off for you. We didn't really want to do that, just want to send a package and we will hike down and pick it up. Anybody else do that?

Thanks in advance.

Sly
06-15-2012, 13:26
It seems like lots of JMT hikers use MTR as a mail drop. Personally, I wouldn't unless I shared it with someone else as they charge something like $55 whereas you can send one to Vermillion Valley Resort for $15.

If you do send one it has to be sent in a 5 gallon bucket.

PS I found the resupply link.

http://www.muirtrailranch.com/resupply.html

As usual,mail your food caches early and be assured they’ll be waiting for you when you arrive. You might want to use the tracking service offered by the Post Office. It’s inexpensive, and you can check on the delivery status of your package via the Internet or from any phone using a toll-free 800 number.

As usual,mail your food caches early and be assured they’ll be waiting for you when you arrive. You might want to use the tracking service offered by the Post Office. It’s inexpensive, and you can check on the delivery status of your package via the Internet or from any phone using a toll-free 800 numb

Slo-go'en
06-15-2012, 14:44
The web site Sly linked to explains why all packages MUST be in a plastic bucket. If it's not in a bucket, your not going to get it.

Cookerhiker
06-15-2012, 17:12
When I hiked in '06, I resupplied at Muir Ranch mailing my stuff in the paint bucket as they require. Doing it again this year.

Re. resupplying at VVR instead, that means much more food and a heavier pack unless you leave the trail for another resupply in Independence via Kearsarge Pass.

BrianLe
06-15-2012, 20:26
Agreed. I found MTR to be worth the cost, and am going there again this time through.

Two of a Kind
06-17-2012, 08:14
thanks for your info and advice...

Sly
06-17-2012, 12:53
Re. resupplying at VVR instead, that means much more food and a heavier pack unless you leave the trail for another resupply in Independence via Kearsarge Pass.

Agreed but it's only couple days/pounds.

I've done the KPT. It's an awesome hike, extremely scenic. Getting to Independence was a breeze, just asked at the trailhead. Getting back cost me $10. Folks at the Independence Courthouse Motel were hiker friendly. You can apply the $40 you save not going to MTR and apply it towards a room.

I will say this, the MTR has a awesome "hiker box" and the folks are cordial and will go out of the way to accomodate you if they're not too busy with horse people.

Cookerhiker
06-17-2012, 13:39
Agreed but it's only couple days/pounds.

I've done the KPT. It's an awesome hike, extremely scenic. Getting to Independence was a breeze, just asked at the trailhead. Getting back cost me $10. Folks at the Independence Courthouse Motel were hiker friendly. You can apply the $40 you save not going to MTR and apply it towards a room.

I will say this, the MTR has a awesome "hiker box" and the folks are cordial and will go out of the way to accomodate you if they're not too busy with horse people.

Sounds tempting. I haven't ruled out resupplying at Independence myself - will talk it over with my hiking partner. To me, an extra 1-2 days of hiking and extra miles are worth it if we save several days' worth of food weight.

MTR's hiker box also includes fuel canisters which for me is vitally important.