PDA

View Full Version : to the hammock crowd...clues please

MedicineMan
12-22-2002, 06:55
just thiking i would look really stupid not getting the knots to hold, so any clues as to how to tie the knots....kudos to SgtRock's site and Hennessey's but I am still not 100 percent, hell not even 75 percent on the right knot to use on the tree huggers....even found some sites that animate the figure eight but then I read you dont really use the true figure 8!

SGT Rock
12-22-2002, 09:54
That is true. It isn't a real figure eight. Unfortunately it isn't easy to describe, and photos do not confer the ideas easily.

I'll attempt it here:

1. Rope goes through one loop on the tree hugger.

2. Wrap tree hugger around tree. BTW, how high up the tree depends on the hammock. My ultralight goes about shoulder hight, buit my explorer goes above my head.

3. Put rope through the other loop on tree hugger.

4. Pull tight - but not too tight. Wrap the rope around the line going to the hammock and then back to the direction it came from from the bottom of the line to over the top of that line. I hope this isn't getting confusing at this point. This seems like some sort of party game now where you try to describe to someone how to do something without watching what they are doing. It took me a couple of nights teaching my son before he got it right.

Back to the instructions...

5. The rope needs to go back under itself - I bet that lost you - and then behind the rope or tree hugger around the tre and then over the top. I just lost myself at this point.

6. Wrap the rope back around the main line from bottom to top.

7. Wrap the rope behind the rope or tree hugger around the tree from bottom to top.

8. Repeat 6 & 7 about three times.

9. Now the finale. Bring the rope around the main line from bottom to top like you have been doing, but this time loop the rope around so it forms like a half hitch - the rope loops around to the top between itself and the rest of the figure 8.

10. make a second one of these with a quick release like when you tie your shoes.

Now that your staring at these instructions like a deer in the headlights with drool on your chin, sorry.

Hammock Hanger
12-22-2002, 10:54
I'm rolling on the floor with laughter....

Can we have that again in English, please!!!

I gave up trying to understand the directions on the bag and came up with my own method. It is quick, simple, with a easy release. Unfortunately trying to describe it would sound similar to the above post. HH

Kerosene
12-22-2002, 13:43
Figuring out how to interpret the instructions and pictures to tie this knot was the second hardest thing about getting comfortable with my new A-sym this Fall (the first was trying to get into the sleeping bag!). I spent an inordinate amount of time, at least according to my wife, trying to figure out how to do this. I think I followed Sarge's instructions as closely as I understand them. However, during my test setups it didn't seem to matter a whole lot if the "figure 8" wasn't quite perfect, as long as I wrapped the rope around the main line and back through the loop formed by the tree hugger at least 3 times. What you end up with may not be as pretty as the pictures portray, but nothing ever seemed to slip.

This would be an ideal use of Macromedia Flash if someone has that graphic design skill and tool.

Dirtyoldman
12-23-2002, 00:28
just use two +1/2 hitches and be done with it.... instructions are on the web....

MedicineMan
12-23-2002, 01:58
Well SgtRock I read and re-read...maybe it will help if I do bust my arse the first time! That should be motivation enough to figure out a fix....if anyone using this A-sym lives within 50 miles of Johnson City Tn let me know and I will buy the beer for instructions! Better yet, I should enlist my 7 year old for help........

Waterbuffalo
12-23-2002, 08:52
I found the best way to tie up a hammock is use a climbing knot called a "retraceable 8" Any climber can show you and it's real easy and you wont be embarassed by your knots coming undone.

WB

SkyKing
12-30-2002, 11:47
HELP SGT Rock....I'm all tied up and can't get lose. Geeeeze..and I thought I was good at following instructions. And NOW I gotta go pee!!! :confused:

SkyKing
12-30-2002, 11:51
Simva2020....only use the 7 year old if it involves electronics! :D