PDA

View Full Version : Mid-February Start: Why or Why Not

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 18:03
Thought that I would avoid the crowds. Any other thoughts on this?

Pedaling Fool
06-15-2012, 18:07
Too cold. I'd start about a month later. The crowds are only an issue at the shelters and they thin out quickly as you go north. Now if you are determined to stay in a shelter everynight than I guess that's a good time to go.

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 18:25
No, I'm going to avoid shelters if at all possible! I just don't get a lot of snow out this way and wanted to enjoy it. (Ask me after I have been hiking in it for days!! LOL ). I've heard it is pretty crowded on the trail in March and April.

Pedaling Fool
06-15-2012, 18:38
I wouldn't characterize the trail as crowded in the middle of March; I could walk for a long while without seeing anyone. Now the sheter areas, yes they were crowded, very crowded.

I also didn't mean to make it seem as though it would be warm in the middle of March, there will be cold, very cold, nights and actually you will want the same sleeping bag in March as in Feb. But in a Feb. hike, you're more likely to be slowed down by icy conditions, wouldn't be the same as walking through snow in a field.

You are however, almost guaranteed to see snow in March, I've seen it twice and I've seen it in April, checkout my gallery.

However, I've never been to Springer in Feb, so I'd be curious to hear from those that have and can compare it to March. Or maybe you can read some Feb Trail Journals.

Praha4
06-15-2012, 18:46
every winter/spring is different. Feb-March 2010 was brutal in the southeast mountains. Look at the winter/spring 2012, the east coast was balmy compared to 2010. A mid February start is not as bad now as it would have been 10-20 years ago.

10-K
06-15-2012, 19:00
Do it.... or the first week of May. If I started a thru in March or April I would hike the BMT to Davenport Gap to avoid the circus. Plus the BMT is a much better trail in every respect.

But then it wouldn't be a real thru hike for those who are sticklers about that sort of thing.

on_the_GOEZ
06-15-2012, 19:54
Go for it! I imagine February would be a spectacular time to be on the trail. As far as avoiding crowds...just avoid 'em.

Braves#6
06-15-2012, 20:17
In that part of the south, Feb is often the " most winterest" part of winter. But there's a lot of cold in March also, especially when it's raining or sleeting. And the days are shorter so you spend a lot more time not walking, but instead trying to stay warm. You also miss the wildflowers and the blossoms. That being said, I too plan a mid-Feb. start. Spent fifteen years of my life in north Georgia. Been there done that. Maybe I'll see you out there. HYOH

BrianLe
06-15-2012, 20:23
I started in late Feb in 2010 and overall was glad that I did; a lot of snow in the south that year, and so not only snow but blowdowns to deal with. But it was nice to be able to count on getting space in shelters, and the relatively fewer people out at that time I think bonded a bit better for the shared experience. Nice too that if you keep a decent pace you won't have to compete for resources much all along the way, i.e., pretty likely you can get space in a hostel AND have a shot at using the one computer there, not have to wait a long time to do laundry or take a shower, etc.

I thought that the number of people that I encountered with a late Feb start was just about right; I suspect that I would have been less happy with more people around later in the year.

I'd also mention that I never had any humidity issues in the south and overall heat was just not a factor (I finished in late July). You don't escape ticks that way, but overall bugs weren't bad either.

Bottom line: I liked it. You do need to be able to deal with cold, ice/snow, and recognize that trail crews won't have been out to clean things up for the early parts of your trip.

mountain squid
06-15-2012, 20:27
It'll likely be cold . . . and coming from AZ . . . brrrr . . . if there is alot of snow, you will likely not be 'enjoying' it. Consider some other way to 'enjoy' snow. I would start second week of Apr. Should be warmer and should be fewer hikers starting.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

SawnieRobertson
06-15-2012, 21:24
MARCH ONe has worked for many. February has had numerous wonderful thru-intentioned backpackers worn out or injured due to ice and deep postholing from a particular season's personality. I think midMarch can provide the snow adventure you want while not destroying your hike. Of course, if you REALLY want snow, try finishing a SOBO up on the ridges in the South in November/December.

Spirit Walker
06-15-2012, 22:15
Unless you are really out of shape and only doing 5 miles a day, mid-April is the best time to start. No ice storms, less chance of major snowstorms, less rain, lots of flowers and green in the mountains instead of lifeless gray and brown. Most folks seem to be starting in March these days, so starting later works well to avoid the crowds, plus the weather is usually better so it's easier to stay away from the shelters. Starting early means more time spent in towns waiting for the weather to improve - thus more money spent. In February it gets dark at 5:30 or so, so nights feel very very long. It also means you will likely get to New England long before leaf change, which is something worth seeing, especially if you are not used to seeing real autumn color.

I was raised in Tucson, so I know that in Arizona, March is full spring. In the Appalachians, it's still winter.

Slo-go'en
06-15-2012, 22:31
It really is impossible to convince anyone from away how bad the weather can be in the mountains of North Carolina during the late winter and early spring. Very few can put up with it for long. Search out trailjournals for Feb starters and you will find most didd't last on the trail long.

on_the_GOEZ
06-15-2012, 22:55
Of course, if you REALLY want snow, try finishing a SOBO up on the ridges in the South in November/December.

My fingers and toes are STILL thawing out from this last year :p From Damascus south, we were in snow/cold rain what seemed like 75% of the time. I didnt mind it so much as we kept moving to stay warm and had springer on our minds. But, I do agree, it can be cold and nasty down south, especially on the ridges. As a NOBO, however, at least you know its going to get warmer sometime..

With proper cold weather gear and knowing when to throw in the towel (i.e. get out of the elements for the day/next couple of hours) I would love to start that early on Springer. Have most of the hostels opened down south this early?

kayak karl
06-15-2012, 22:59
its not that bad till the snow gets deep. no need to avoid shelters, they'll be empty and you will have the mices undivided attention :)

ChinMusic
06-15-2012, 23:07
Thought that I would avoid the crowds. Any other thoughts on this?

Mid to late Feb is my plan for next year. I have hiked the southern AT in every winter month. I like it. I DO pick my poison though. If the weather reports are nutzo I just hole up for a bit and wait it out. It can make for a more expensive starting time.

Every winter is different. Feb could be awesome or suck. The most annoying part I had to deal with is all the blowdowns. An early start will mean that the trail volunteers will not have them cleared. If the winter has been bad this makes for some tough travel.

rocketsocks
06-15-2012, 23:24
I have thought about this,and I like the snow,so yeah,it wouldn't bother me to get snowed in,and have to bail,thats good stuff for building character.I also would not want to come off a winter,start a hike and not finish until winter comes around again(6 months for me,i'm slow),I'd like to enjoy some summer and fall just chilling after a Thru-hiking the whole thing,but of coarse this is all hypothetical,cause you probably won't ever see me doing a Thru-hike of the whole thing,cause I require more repair time for the ol' bones than most do.But if I did do one,Yep,I'd start in Feb,right around my birth day,yep,thats what I'd do.

stranger
06-16-2012, 02:16
I've left Springer twice, 2 March and 9 April...I would not recommend leaving in mid-Feb for the following reasons:
- potential for 10 weeks of cold weather, including snow and ice, freezing rain (10 weeks is a long time on the trail)
- short daylight will mean spending more time in camp
- you will spend more money as the weather is more likely to drive you into town, and for longer periods of time to wait out storms
- your pack will be heavier with cold weather gear, more fuel, etc
- you will reach NE in the height of bug season

The key to avoiding crowds is leaving late, not early...IMO. Even a 1 May start start gives you 5.5 months, then there is always the flip option. The heaviest concentration of hikers will generally be:
1. Shelters
2. Hostels in town
3. Motels in town

If you plan to use shelters, understand the bug situation, so starting in Feb will certainly mean a good 10-12 weeks before the bugs get bad...which is good for shelter sleepers, the bad news is that shelters are much more cold than tenting or tarping...so shelters are a liability in terms of warmth.

If you want to avoid crowds I would leave Springer in very early May, go north til end of July, start Sobo from Katahdin 1 August and hike back to the jump point...other than the passing of the Nobo swarm, the trail will be fairly open. You are also unlikely to see any cold weather.

stranger
06-16-2012, 02:19
Clarification...extreme cold weather could be avoided, it can snow in the Whites in August, etc...

fiddlehead
06-16-2012, 09:37
One year (around '92 or '93) I drove my two buddies down to Springer in Feb.
The day they started it was in the 60's and beautiful.
They thought they were pretty smart as no one else signed in that day and they had the beginning of the trail to themselves.

However, about a month later they came home with their tail between their legs.
Weather turned bad.
They spent all their money holing up in hotel rooms and watching TV.

Either be prepared to rough it in the cold, or take lots of money and some books to read.

You deal with what's given to you when it comes to weather.

ChinMusic
06-16-2012, 11:37
I've left Springer twice, 2 March and 9 April...I would not recommend leaving in mid-Feb for the following reasons:
- potential for 10 weeks of cold weather, including snow and ice, freezing rain (10 weeks is a long time on the trail)
- you will spend more money as the weather is more likely to drive you into town, and for longer periods of time to wait out storms
- your pack will be heavier with cold weather gear, more fuel, etc
- you will reach NE in the height of bug season

Why the fear of "cold weather"? I fear HOT weather. I would take freezing nights and highs under 50 every dang day on the trail. OK, a coupla warm days thrown in to nap on a mountain top would be nice too.

Shorter days? Well yeah. I WILL be hiking shorter days in the beginning whether the sun is out or not.
Heavierpacks? You better be carrying that winter stuff in early April too.
Bug Season in NE? Doubt that I will be that fast.

BrianLe
06-16-2012, 11:54
Some of the comments strike me as a little strong. I'm not saying "wrong", but perhaps "different perspective".

Either be prepared to rough it in the cold, or take lots of money and some books to read.
I finished the CDT last year in November and indeed I was reading a bit in my tent in the evenings at the end of that. I don't recall ever doing so on the AT, nor spending an unusual amount of time in motel rooms. I was prepared to do so, and I certainly recognize that it's possible to get storms that drive you off trail, but it didn't happen to me. I think the issue of roughing it in the cold is somewhat relative depending on gear/clothing choices and experience --- plus of course expectations.

"Search out trailjournals for Feb starters and you will find most didd't last on the trail long."
No doubt true, but it's also true that on the AT in particular there's a huge percentage that don't stay on trail regardless of start date --- something like 80% or so as I recall. Just from my own experience I suspect that a large part of why early starters leave the trail is for the same reasons that later starters do.
I guess one upside (?) to an early start is that if you don't stay on trail for whatever reason then you have an additional reason to give for why you didn't :-)

Starting early means more time spent in towns waiting for the weather to improve - thus more money spent. In February it gets dark at 5:30 or so, so nights feel very very long.
The "how many hours of daylight" thing isn't *that* bad. Starting in late Feb we had over 11 hours of daylight to hike in; just wake before dawn and get on trail as soon as it's light enough to see and there are as many hours as most people can utilize just starting out. And you won't necessarily be alone every night even that early. I ended up starting with a couple of others who had thru-hiked before, so we were pretty compatible, but we ended up meeting others in shelters and having some great conversations in the evenings.

Time spent waiting for the weather in town: FWIW the closest I got to that was wondering if we would get a ride back from Gatlinburg due to temporary road closure (icy roads), but that worked out to be no more than a few hours of delay in a pretty fun/quirky town.

I do agree that it's wise to budget for the potential to have to spend some extra time in towns starting out. And I don't recommend an early start to anyone that has little trail experience or little experience in cold and snow.

But I think that a late Feb start is a fine option for someone that's thought it through and is prepared and has a decent experience base.

10-K
06-16-2012, 12:27
I just want to reiterate that, even though not appropriate for hard-core-pass-every-white-blaze hiker, the BMT is a lower altitude trail, most notably through GSMNP and would be easier to hike in bad weather.

It would add about 50 additional miles but as it's easier than the AT you'd likely get to Davenport Gap at the same time as if you had stayed on the AT.

Plus it's just more fun. :)

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 15:38
One year (around '92 or '93) I drove my two buddies down to Springer in Feb.
The day they started it was in the 60's and beautiful.
They thought they were pretty smart as no one else signed in that day and they had the beginning of the trail to themselves.

However, about a month later they came home with their tail between their legs.
Weather turned bad.
They spent all their money holing up in hotel rooms and watching TV.

You deal with what's given to you when it comes to weather.I might be wrong about the year but I think it was 95' or 96' there was a winter in there that the Northeast got hit with a huge winter storn,here in NJ we had 36" of snow,Virginia in parts had ,I believe 26",and futher up North in NY state,there was one area that got a whopping 54",all this happend in about 48 to 72 hours,and shut down the Northeast for days to follow.And now I'm thinking it was the George Washinton National Forrest in Virginia that got 40+ inches of snow as well,haven't really researched it yet.

Winds
06-16-2012, 16:27
Unless you are really out of shape and only doing 5 miles a day, mid-April is the best time to start. No ice storms, less chance of major snowstorms, less rain, lots of flowers and green in the mountains instead of lifeless gray and brown. Most folks seem to be starting in March these days, so starting later works well to avoid the crowds, plus the weather is usually better so it's easier to stay away from the shelters. Starting early means more time spent in towns waiting for the weather to improve - thus more money spent. In February it gets dark at 5:30 or so, so nights feel very very long. It also means you will likely get to New England long before leaf change, which is something worth seeing, especially if you are not used to seeing real autumn color.

This has me thinking. I have a rough idea of beginning March. I now think I will may wish to start earlier or much later than that. Hmmm.

stranger
06-17-2012, 04:37
Why the fear of "cold weather"? I fear HOT weather. I would take freezing nights and highs under 50 every dang day on the trail. OK, a coupla warm days thrown in to nap on a mountain top would be nice too.

Shorter days? Well yeah. I WILL be hiking shorter days in the beginning whether the sun is out or not.
Heavierpacks? You better be carrying that winter stuff in early April too.
Bug Season in NE? Doubt that I will be that fast.

It's not about fearing cold weather, it's about minimizing extremes, thus cold weather. Have you ever been out for several days on end with temps around or below zero? I have, many times. My opinion is that would not be advisable during a thru-hike attempt, unless it could not be avoided...which it can be.

As for hot weather...you cannot really get around that, unless you avoid June, July and perhaps early August, kinda hard to do on a thru-hike.

If you honestly think you need the same cold weather gear in mid-April as you do in mid-Feb, you are in for a hard lesson. Even then, my post referred to a early May start for some context.

If a hiker leaves Springer in mid-Feb, even at just 10 miles a day average, which is fairly slow by any standards, that puts you in MA in mid to late June...BUGS!!!

OzJacko
06-17-2012, 05:03
I must admit this thread has me thinking - although I don't think it will change my plans, it gives me some doubts.
I (and my son) are planning a late March start - I thought I would try to slot in between those that go for "significant" dates of first day of spring and 1st April.
I am NOT trying to avoid the crowd! For me the people will be a large part of the AT and the numbers are what makes it so unique in long trails. However I don't want to tent forever. We are assuming we may go a little bit quicker than average over first 4 weeks as we have a 600mile trail under our belt (much easier one though). I figure that the numbers will thin steadily and after Damascus start date will be irrelevant as far as crowds go. As we will be working to a strict 5.5 month or less timetable to fit in with 6 month visa limits, I didn't want to be slowed too much early by bad weather or risk (too much) bad weather in Maine.

If anyone thinks I've got it wrong please tell me. I would like a Feb start but just feel it would increase time pressures and a late start puts us under pressure in Maine - we don't want to flipflop.

Tinker
06-17-2012, 06:30
I wouldn't do it because of the potential extra zero days due to bad weather and the expense of staying in town for multiple days waiting for the weather to clear.

My plan, once I retire, is to do a sobo hike - probably a more sure way to beat the crowds.

If I did a nobo, I'd have to start with a 35 lb. pack in Feb. If I waited until April, I could easily cut at least 10 lb. from that due to lighter and less gear (and especially food). More weight means shorter mileage days, which translates to more days between resupplies, which, again, translates to more food needed for those extra days. More food, more weight, extra days between resupplies - the cycle would be endless in poor walking conditions.

Now, if you don't mind more weight, a longer thruhike, and more expense, the experience of extended winter hiking might be to your liking.

stranger
06-17-2012, 07:38
I must admit this thread has me thinking - although I don't think it will change my plans, it gives me some doubts.
I (and my son) are planning a late March start - I thought I would try to slot in between those that go for "significant" dates of first day of spring and 1st April.
I am NOT trying to avoid the crowd! For me the people will be a large part of the AT and the numbers are what makes it so unique in long trails. However I don't want to tent forever. We are assuming we may go a little bit quicker than average over first 4 weeks as we have a 600mile trail under our belt (much easier one though). I figure that the numbers will thin steadily and after Damascus start date will be irrelevant as far as crowds go. As we will be working to a strict 5.5 month or less timetable to fit in with 6 month visa limits, I didn't want to be slowed too much early by bad weather or risk (too much) bad weather in Maine.

If anyone thinks I've got it wrong please tell me. I would like a Feb start but just feel it would increase time pressures and a late start puts us under pressure in Maine - we don't want to flipflop.

A late March start would be right in the thick of things in terms of people but behind the early April crowd moving north. If you have hiked the Bibbulmun Track, you know what it's like to hike 600 miles, which is huge, and while the Bibb is fairly easy in both terrain and resupply (no hitching needed), the mental aspect of hiking those miles is the same - and no Tiger Snakes!. The AT south of NH is nothing too hard IMO, I've hiked the south twice and in 2008 was able to average 17 miles per day through GA, increasing to 20's in early NC.

Hiking the AT in 5.5 months is still considered fairly typical, and you will come in with far more experience than most prospective thru-hikers, so it's not unlikely that you could finish in 5 months.

I personally see no reason to start in Feb over late March by choice. The earlier you start the more likely you get snowed in somewhere and pinned down, losing valuable time and spending more money than necessary.

BrianLe
06-17-2012, 08:22
stranger, I can only speak for my one-time experience of course, but again --- some of these statements strike me as extreme. It might be interesting to hear from others (besides me) who started in February.

"Have you ever been out for several days on end with temps around or below zero? I have, many times. My opinion is that would not be advisable during a thru-hike attempt, unless it could not be avoided...which it can be." Unless you're using the celsius scale, "around or below zero" seems like an extreme presentation. Starting in late Feb in 2010, the lowest temps I got were in the upper teens, and that was just the low temp during a handful of nights.
FWIW, one of the challenging factors early on was wind --- cold wind. I would plan to dress in something that's not too heavy and yet covers a lot of skin during the day.

Note again that my year (2010) was one where the south was relatively hammered with snow. Lots of people talking about how light the winter was in the north and how heavy it was in the south, and so lots of vegetation (brush and trees) down across the trail. So while I'm certain there can be (much) worse conditions encountered in February, I don't think that I had it particularly easy. Butt-deep snow all through the Smokies, frozen hard in the mornings, slushy or postholing soft in the afternoons, tough wind-blown energy-sucking snow drifts to deal with, etc etc (if you listen carefully you can hear violin music in the background).

"As for hot weather...you cannot really get around that, unless you avoid June, July and perhaps early August, kinda hard to do on a thru-hike."
Again, I can only speak for my particular experience, but I had very little hot weather, and essentially none of the "sticky humid" hot weather of the kind that a west coast boy like me so-much dislikes about the east coast.

"If a hiker leaves Springer in mid-Feb, even at just 10 miles a day average, which is fairly slow by any standards, that puts you in MA in mid to late June...BUGS!!!"I finished in late July, and that was with a couple of weeks off in New York to get over a bout of giardia plus time off to go to Trail Days (and I'm not a young fellow, didn't particularly burn up the track or strive for any speed records). I recall very little in the way of bugs. Or at least, of three different thru-hikes, my recollection of the AT is as the least buggy. There are specific times and places on the other trails that I remember bugs all too well. I couldn't point to anywhere on the AT that bugs were a big enough issue to make me remember them, and I slept with no bug protection in shelters most nights on the trail.

I don't claim that others will have the same fortune that I enjoyed along the way, but nevertheless --- some of these concerns are things that aren't guaranteed to happen. A February start does offer challenges and risk, but there are some solid benefits too. Just expect that it will be tough for the first few weeks, have some winter hiking experience and be ready to bail out to town should that become the wise option. Then enjoy being out with a relatively few other hikers and get your hike done soon enough that you can do other things with the rest of the summer (which was my motivation).

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 12:12
It's not about fearing cold weather, it's about minimizing extremes, thus cold weather. Have you ever been out for several days on end with temps around or below zero? I have, many times. My opinion is that would not be advisable during a thru-hike attempt, unless it could not be avoided...which it can be. The southern AT RARELY sees such a run of weather even in the depth of winter. If is it predicted I'm in a hotel.

As for hot weather...you cannot really get around that, unless you avoid June, July and perhaps early August, kinda hard to do on a thru-hike. Avoid = no. Minimize = yes

If you honestly think you need the same cold weather gear in mid-April as you do in mid-Feb, you are in for a hard lesson. Even then, my post referred to a early May start for some context. My comment was for early April. And yes, you better be prepared for winter in early April. A later April start is not a consideration......AT ALL.

If a hiker leaves Springer in mid-Feb, even at just 10 miles a day average, which is fairly slow by any standards, that puts you in MA in mid to late June...BUGS!!! I ain't worried about mosquitoes. I've been in clouds of em and know how to deal with em.

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 12:20
Stranger - I see you are from Australia. When you stated "several days on end with temps around or below zero", where you talking F or C? If F I go to a hotel. If C........I call that great sleeping weather.

Slo-go'en
06-17-2012, 13:44
If you start in mid-Feb, the first couple of weeks while in Georgia probably won't be too bad. You'll think "this is okay, what was all the fuss about?". Then you hit the mountians of North Carolina, where it's a whole different world. Now, your going to be cold and wet most of the time for the next month or two. Early on, you'll wake up to frozen boots more often than not - along with everything else you weren't able to get into the sleeping bag with you.

Remember, two weather fronts clash along the AT all winter and into the spring. It's not until early May that the pattern starts to change around the NC/VA area. One front is the warm, moist air from the gulf. The other is the cold air from the Mid-west, which started out in the Artic a few days earlier. When these fronts meet above the AT, it rains or it snows or it sleets depending on your elevation at the time. This happens at least once a week for a day, but sometimes lingers for a couple. When it clears out, it gets cold. Everything which got wet the day before is now frozen.

When it's 35 degrees out and you wake up to a fog or drizzle and frozen boots, it's really hard to get out of a warm sleeping bag and face the trail. So, you'll end up waiting for the sun to get higher and maybe warm things up a little or at least lift the fog. Most days you'll be lucky to get going by 10 am.

That sure sounds like fun, doesn't it?

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 14:23
That sure sounds like fun, doesn't it?
Yeah it does, actually. Look, I am no stranger to the southern AT in winter. I have done sections of GA/NC/TN in January. You learn quickly to unlace the heck out of your trail runners so you can get em on in the morning. You don't leave your bottle of water out to freeze. It just ain't that bad.

I have pulled off the trail, even on section hikes, due to weather forecasts of things I didn't want to purposely deal with. I have canceled section hikes due to heavy snows. I'm not some winter-crazy survivalist and pick/choose my weather windows. I fully understand that a Feb start can be more expensive. That is not a concern of mine.

johnnybgood
06-17-2012, 15:03
The weather is unpredictable in the south . It really is a crapshoot from year to year. I met thru hikers in 2010 that trudged through 5 ft. snow drifts in the Smokys during that Feb. snowstorm that hit the southern states and mid-atlantic regions.
Frost bite and hypothermia were real concerns for them. They started hiking in late January during what had been a mild winter up to that point.

Not trying to discourage you but make you aware of the possible dangers , as you surely already know.

Personally I prefer hiking in cold weather as opposed to the stifling 90 degree heat amd would start a thru in early March.

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 15:09
Personally I prefer hiking in cold weather as opposed to the stifling 90 degree heat amd would start a thru in early March.
Me too. I'd take frozen shoes every dang morning instead of 90 and humid.

An early-March start is still in the cards. It will be a game-day decision for me. I will just sit back and watch what kind of winter we are having. For me to get stuck hiking in deep snow would not be my choice. I do understand that freak weather can happen all the way into April too.

Slo-go'en
06-17-2012, 16:51
Yeah it does, actually. Look, I am no stranger to the southern AT in winter. I have done sections of GA/NC/TN in January. You learn quickly to unlace the heck out of your trail runners so you can get em on in the morning. You don't leave your bottle of water out to freeze. It just ain't that bad.

The trouble is, a lot of those who start early in the year don't have that kind of experiance and don't know what to expect. It's just a walk in the woods - how bad/hard can that be? Very bad and very hard if your learning as you go. Depending on the year, it can be a bit much even for those who know what to expect and how to deal with it. Dealing with winter conditions in the short term for a few days or a week is one thing - dealing with it long term as part of a thru-hike is quite another.

I too like it when it's cool and wet out rathier then when it's beastly hot and humid. But not when it's real cold and real wet for extended periods of time like a Feb start would be.

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 17:04
Dealing with winter conditions in the short term for a few days or a week is one thing - dealing with it long term as part of a thru-hike is quite another.

As a section hiker I don't know what dealing with the trail is like for more than 8 days. That 9th day will be new to me, PERIOD.

I just know that I always had a desire to keep going instead of driving home.

10-K
06-17-2012, 17:06
Winter hiking is different than summer hiking. Summer hiking is more forgiving of mistakes and doesn't require as much experience.

I prefer winter too but for someone who is still early on the learning curve I'd definitely recommend a later start.

Chin - feel free to start in Feb - I think you've got it. :)

Del Q
06-17-2012, 17:16
Lonliness and short days................I would not start an AT thru at this time. I am a section hiker and like the solitude, no bugs, prefer cold over hot.........ran into a few NOBO's this year in late March, all wish that they had more company.

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 17:19
.........ran into a few NOBO's this year in late March, all wish that they had more company.

Where these guys fast? I'm guessing I will see plenty of the field as the youngsters overtake me.

stranger
06-17-2012, 19:03
Stranger - I see you are from Australia. When you stated "several days on end with temps around or below zero", where you talking F or C? If F I go to a hotel. If C........I call that great sleeping weather.

I'm not from Australia, I live in Australia...I'm from upstate New York, and lived there for 25 years. I am speaking in Fahrenheit, not Celsuis. And temps around zero F are not even close to being extreme in NY in winter.

Assumptions, assumptions : )

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 19:06
I'm not from Australia, I live in Australia...I'm from upstate New York, and lived there for 25 years. I am speaking in Fahrenheit, not Celsuis. And temps around zero F are not even close to being extreme in NY in winter.

Assumptions, assumptions : )
You do realize that the southern AT doesn't go thru NY, right?
The rare below zero stretches on the southern AT are easy to avoid. And I would.

stranger
06-17-2012, 19:17
stranger, I can only speak for my one-time experience of course, but again --- some of these statements strike me as extreme. It might be interesting to hear from others (besides me) who started in February.

Unless you're using the celsius scale, "around or below zero" seems like an extreme presentation. Starting in late Feb in 2010, the lowest temps I got were in the upper teens, and that was just the low temp during a handful of nights.
FWIW, one of the challenging factors early on was wind --- cold wind. I would plan to dress in something that's not too heavy and yet covers a lot of skin during the day.

Note again that my year (2010) was one where the south was relatively hammered with snow. Lots of people talking about how light the winter was in the north and how heavy it was in the south, and so lots of vegetation (brush and trees) down across the trail. So while I'm certain there can be (much) worse conditions encountered in February, I don't think that I had it particularly easy. Butt-deep snow all through the Smokies, frozen hard in the mornings, slushy or postholing soft in the afternoons, tough wind-blown energy-sucking snow drifts to deal with, etc etc (if you listen carefully you can hear violin music in the background).

Again, I can only speak for my particular experience, but I had very little hot weather, and essentially none of the "sticky humid" hot weather of the kind that a west coast boy like me so-much dislikes about the east coast.

I finished in late July, and that was with a couple of weeks off in New York to get over a bout of giardia plus time off to go to Trail Days (and I'm not a young fellow, didn't particularly burn up the track or strive for any speed records). I recall very little in the way of bugs. Or at least, of three different thru-hikes, my recollection of the AT is as the least buggy. There are specific times and places on the other trails that I remember bugs all too well. I couldn't point to anywhere on the AT that bugs were a big enough issue to make me remember them, and I slept with no bug protection in shelters most nights on the trail.

I don't claim that others will have the same fortune that I enjoyed along the way, but nevertheless --- some of these concerns are things that aren't guaranteed to happen. A February start does offer challenges and risk, but there are some solid benefits too. Just expect that it will be tough for the first few weeks, have some winter hiking experience and be ready to bail out to town should that become the wise option. Then enjoy being out with a relatively few other hikers and get your hike done soon enough that you can do other things with the rest of the summer (which was my motivation).

I never said if you start in Feb you will see temps close to zero (F), what I said was that I had been out in those temps and would not recommend dealing with avoidable cold on a thru if I could help it. I do think seeing zero temps in the Smokies in Feb would be unlikely, but not unheard of by any means.

And let's be clear, high teens is still pretty damn rough for many hikers, add some wind and things get interesting real quickly. If you embrace long distance hiking and enduring temps at or around 20F, go for it.

My point was I would not recommend it.

As for your hike, it does sound fairly unique. My views are based on my trips between 1994-2008, not on any particular year, and exceptions always do occur.

The fact remains that on average (read: not always) the earlier you leave Springer Mountain, the more potential there is for snow and sustained cold temperatures.

stranger
06-17-2012, 19:26
You do realize that the southern AT doesn't go thru NY, right?
The rare below zero stretches on the southern AT are easy to avoid. And I would.

The point to the thread is debating why or why not you would start in mid Feb, I take the view it would not be advisable due to my own thorough experiences in extreme cold weather, some of which is located in NY, New Zealand, Colorado and the southern AT...

Mt point is that it CAN get down close to zero, or below...in the higher elevations of the south in Feb.

The thread is not about how to avoid the cold weather in the south or how cold it will get in early April.

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 19:33
I never said if you start in Feb you will see temps close to zero (F)

HUH? Then what was your point with the following?

It's not about fearing cold weather, it's about minimizing extremes, thus cold weather. Have you ever been out for several days on end with temps around or below zero? I have, many times. My opinion is that would not be advisable during a thru-hike attempt, unless it could not be avoided...which it can be.

You clearly claimed that hiking several days on end with temps around or below zero is not advisable. I agree, it IS avoidable. It almost NEVER happens down there. And if we did get a record cold front coming through I think we would have plenty of lead time.

Temps around 20 at night is just good sleeping weather for me.

stranger
06-17-2012, 21:48
So how about this as you seem a little hung up on wording:
- we replace the words 'around or below zero' with 'prolonged cold weather'
- let's define 'prolonged cold weather' with your figure of 20 F at night, with extremes ranging from 10F to 30F at night

Would you say that starting in mid Februrary is more, or less likely to expose the hiker to prolonged cold weather?

Yes or No?

Whether or not YOU are comfortable sleeping in 20F is irrelevant, no where in the OP was that question asked or implied. I personally don't find 20F cold either, but it's relative...compaired to -17F with 20mph wind...20F is balmy. To the average, first time long distance hiker...functioning in 20F would be fairly difficult, let alone for many days on end. Many hikers would prefer to deal with lows in the high 30's, but clearly you would not - that point is taken. And that is great...for YOU.

ChinMusic
06-17-2012, 22:04
Would you say that starting in mid Februrary is more, or less likely to expose the hiker to prolonged cold weather?

Yes or No?.

Uh YES, as freaking earth shattering as that may be.................lol

verasch
06-18-2012, 22:32
While I've never been to Georgia in the winter, much less the mountains there, I can only assume that it shares something in common with the north that Arizona seems to lack almost entirely: humidity. There's something about the humidity that affects the cold that gives it considerable 'weight' to it. I'm not sure that's the right term, but I find the snow in northern Arizona to be less waterlogged, and the air to be considerably drier.

I'm not arguing that you should or shouldn't, but youll need to keep in mind that wet snow is heavier out here than you might be used to.

For comparison, the south in february might be like flag in march or April. Usually nice days and a likelihood of cold as sin evenings. I did a hammock hang at that ski mountain (san Francisco) in a 15 bag and was okay. But the water trick is key.

My wife reminded me just now of a time in August we went hiking in the white mountains and it was 95 deg with 90% humidity and the air was so wet we couldn't start a fire. That was an interesting trip to say the least.

My friend cerveza started on march 1st (i think) in 2010, and she had a good experience. Maybe a compromise is all you need?

WIAPilot
06-18-2012, 23:54
Some of the main reasons I am leaning more toward a Feb start involve the humidity in VA and the Mosquitos. I am like a magnet for them. I hate humidity. I also plan to be in cabins a lot in the beginning like at Goose Creek, etc. So if I need to take a few days off and get out of the snow, I don't think that will be a problem.

I am not real experienced with the snow, but I will research it thoroughly and as long as I'm dressed warmly; have a warm sleeping bag; let others know where I am and keep an eye on the weather reports, I think I'll be OK. Maybe others who are leaving at that time can tell me what they're bringing and we can discuss clothes and gear.

Papa D
06-19-2012, 07:20
Go for it - - no doubt that you will have to tackle some snow and super cold times in GA and NC but if you are willing to stop at a few more hostels than most early on and are understanding that the going may be slow, you will be rewarded come mid-March when most of the snow is gone and you are already through the Smokies (which will be a fun challenge with some snow on the ground almost for sure) booking it toward Damascus. You will be thoroughly enjoying the trail as a NOBO without the crowds and at close to the very head of the pack.

The Solemates
06-19-2012, 09:10
the only start dates i would consider would be before 1 feb or after 1 may. go for it.

Moose2001
06-19-2012, 11:24
Hey Pilot.....it's always a crap shoot on what you're going to get on weather. The first time I hiked, I started March 20. Had a great trip through the Smokeys....65 degrees every day. In 2005, I started at Springer on April 1 and had a huge blizzard and single degree temps in the Smokeys. Everyone bailed down to Gatlinburg for 3 days! As long as you are prepared and are willing to come off the trail if you're worried or uncomfortable, you'll be OK.

The flip side of this discussion is the later you start at Springer, the higher the chances are that you'll have winter type weather in Maine! I've seen that as well!

booney_1
06-19-2012, 14:31
Isn't just following the trails difficult in places with a lot of snow on the ground? I'm thinking of all the white blazes I've seen on rocks. Even the blazes on trees can be hard to see with a lot of snow on the ground. I"ve done a lot of snow hiking/camping, but never on the AT. comments from anyone whose actually hiked the AT with snow on the ground?

jersey joe
06-19-2012, 15:34
Excellent point stranger! Less daylight each day would be one of the main reasons why I wouldn't want to start in February. Something about starting to look for a campsite at 3:00 because it is dark by 4:30 doesn't appeal to me.

WIAPilot
06-19-2012, 15:44
Excellent point stranger! Less daylight each day would be one of the main reasons why I wouldn't want to start in February. Something about starting to look for a campsite at 3:00 because it is dark by 4:30 doesn't appeal to me.

Actually, in February you have approximately 11 hrs of daylight. Sunrise is at about 7 am and Sunset is a little past 6 pm. (There's an app for that! :sun). That is more than enough of hiking time for me in the beginning.

brian039
06-19-2012, 15:55
Snowstorms wouldn't be what would bother me, I would just come off the trail for a while. It's the days where it is 35 degrees and raining then everything freezes overnight and sucks to hike on rocks days that would be more of an issue. That's kind of typical mountain weather for N. Georgia and Western Carolina in Feb and March. You'll surely see snow but most of the precipitation will be rain that time of year, which to me, is worse. As long as you're cool with that go for it.

TD55
06-19-2012, 17:01
It's not so much the snow to worry about. It's the ice. Slip and fall accident will get you off the trail fast. Ice will slow you down too.

ChinMusic
06-19-2012, 17:15
Actually, in February you have approximately 11 hrs of daylight. Sunrise is at about 7 am and Sunset is a little past 6 pm. (There's an app for that! :sun). That is more than enough of hiking time for me in the beginning.
Exactly. In the beginning I'm not interested in putting in more than 10 hours anyway. On top of that a headlamp works just fine. The short-day angle means nothing to me.

jersey joe
06-20-2012, 13:03
Often it seems like it is getting dark earlier when hiking in the mountains/valleys with tree cover though. And the added daylight is helpful in not only while hiking but in camp too. Figure 11 hours of daylight means 13 hours of darkness. Given the choice, I'll take more daylight...to each their own...

stranger
06-20-2012, 19:07
Yeah...for real, 11 hours of daylight is a little depressing for me. I'm usually on the move for about 12 hours, not necessarily hiking the whole time, but probably walking for 10.5 hours of that. I don't mind hiking in the dark by choice, but don't want to have to do it in order to cover adequate distances.

I would have a very hard 'not hiking' from about 5pm to 6-7am on a 'hiking' trip. But some people love that stuff, sitting around camp, etc... In my early days I loved that too, but as time and miles accrued...it's a liability for me.

ChinMusic
06-20-2012, 19:20
How many folks start out a thru, hiking more than 10 hours a day?

Again the hour diff in daylight between a Feb and Mar start is much ado about nothing.