PDA

View Full Version : Gear suggestions for section hiking

soboyle
06-15-2012, 22:18
Hi all,
I live very close to the AT, and do day hikes regularly, but want to start section hiking.
Looking for gear selections appropriate for 1 week outings, 3 seasons. I know, that's a big subject with many what if's, but looking for a place to start reading up on lightweight packs, tents, bags and pads. What size pack is appropriate for a 5-7 day outing? what are good quality tents that are in the 3 lbs weight range? my old Northface tadpole is a nice tent, but is too heavy for a one person gig. Thanks

Cozy
06-15-2012, 23:09
Hi:
On my section hike in VA, I brought the new MSR Nook tent ( person but really a 1 1/2 person) from REI. 3.2 or 3.6 lbs. No condensation problems.
Backpack is a NorthFace Alteo 50. Loved the trampoline backing on it. Deep interior. Was shocked at how deep and roomy.
Thermarest Neo Air Trekker- yes, a 2 1/2 inch mattress but I needed it because I'm a side sleeper. The thinner mats drove my hips into the ground. Ouch.
I bought the Vargo Titanium Triad XE Alcohol Stove which is a dual-fuel (alcohol / fuel tab) stove. I will bring a homemade cat stove next time instead.

Chad Giles
06-16-2012, 00:48
I just recently discovered an alternative to weight concerning tents. Ever since I watched a YouTube video on hammock camping I wouldn't go any other way very light weight and take up less space.

hikerboy57
06-16-2012, 06:48
your gear list for a week long section isnt much different than if you were doing doing a complete thru, as you resupply every week or so anyway, although know ing you'll be off trail in a week allows you to err on the side of comfort, or you can forgo a few pieces of gear that you wont need depending on what section you hike.your "big four"(pack, bag, pad, shelter) are the most important elements. I section hike and use an Atmos65 pack, Big agnes Flycreek UL2 tent, BA lost ranger 15 deg bag for winter/Marmot Aspen down 40 deg for summer, BAinsulated core sleeping pad. but thats just me. you'll find many useful although sometimes contradictory suggestions here in the gear forums .but lighter is always better, whether its 200 miles or 2000.

Duramax22
06-16-2012, 09:37
I use a Gregory baltoro 65, big agnes copper spur ul2, thermarest pad, and a marmot sawtooth 15 for winter and marmot always summer 45 for summer. Only advice I have is spend your money once

Theosus
06-16-2012, 22:21
I just recently discovered an alternative to weight concerning tents. Ever since I watched a YouTube video on hammock camping I wouldn't go any other way very light weight and take up less space.

I've got a hennessy hammock. You can find lighter and smaller packed systems. I looked at an eno in REI, and it looked half the size, but I don't think it had a rainfly or netting. I'm making an under quilt, because I froze on my last trip. One nice thing: I don't have to carry a pad. With my hammock, bag and quilt it will weigh about the same as a one man tent, with a bag and sleeping pad. But it will be less bulky, and nothing has to strap to the outside of the pack (like all those people you see with z pads and CCFoam rolls). I need a lighter sleeping bag for summer though...

MuddyWaters
06-16-2012, 22:38
Hi all,
, but looking for a place to start reading up on lightweight packs, tents, bags and pads. What size pack is appropriate for a 5-7 day outing? what are good quality tents that are in the 3 lbs weight range? my old Northface tadpole is a nice tent, but is too heavy for a one person gig. Thanks

go read at backackinglight.com

Sarcasm the elf
06-16-2012, 23:10
Hi all,
I live very close to the AT, and do day hikes regularly, but want to start section hiking.
Looking for gear selections appropriate for 1 week outings, 3 seasons. I know, that's a big subject with many what if's, but looking for a place to start reading up on lightweight packs, tents, bags and pads. What size pack is appropriate for a 5-7 day outing? what are good quality tents that are in the 3 lbs weight range? my old Northface tadpole is a nice tent, but is too heavy for a one person gig. Thanks

What is your budget? We can make lots of suggestions, but the cost can vary dramatically.

With regards to packs, buy it last so that you can make sure it can hold all of your gear plus room for food and water. Packs are very personal since it has to fit your individual frame. Go to a place where you can try out a good number of packs and spend a good a out of time trying on different ones and wear the one one you like around the store for a while before you buy it.

For what it's worth, the Osprey Atmos 65 is one of the best mass produced lightish weight packs that you will find at most outfitters. If it fits you well it's a great one to start with. The Gregory Z series is also good, the Gregory Baltoro series is bombproof (I have a baltoro 70 for my winter pack) but is just too heavy for me to recommend for three season hiking on the A.T..

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 23:21
go read at backackinglight.com

subscription $$$ we can do it here for free. Come on - weight in and help the guy...

ShaneP
06-17-2012, 09:10
I love my Gregory Z55 pack. Use an Eno singlenest hammock with a Hennessy Hex Fly, A stormcrow underquilt, and a sleeping bag as a topquilt.

10-K
06-17-2012, 11:08
subscription $$$ we can do it here for free. Come on - weight in and help the guy...

I have to say that the subscription price for BPL is worth it just for the articles in the "Techniques and Best Practices" section and the signal to noise ratio is several orders of magnitude lower there.

But in the spirit of helping... :)

If I were outfitting someone who wanted to start backpacking in 3 season weather I'd start with:

1. ULA Catalyst pack
2. Tarptent Rainbow tent
3. MontBell 20* down bag
4. Thermorest Neoair pad

This is quality gear and will last for years if cared for... Well.... the Neoair might not but it's worth it anyway.

With a bit of patience and diligent searching this stuff can be found used, usually by someone packing lighter.

I would not recommend ultralight/super ultra light equipment or hammocks to a beginning backpacker but that's just me.

jump start
06-17-2012, 15:04
I carry a 2700and cubic inch pack (osprey don't remember witch one) rei litecore pad, rei quarterdome tent, jetboil, sweetwater pump + clothes food water and bourbon. DROID for gps, books and music. Not ultralite but works for me and gets me in the mountains four out of four seasons. Change up the clothes depending on the month. Winter I take 15 degree rei downtime and summer is a 55 degree bag. I have a silk liner to give me 10 extra degrees if I need it.

I

jump start
06-17-2012, 15:08
Agree with 10k. More experience= less (lighter) equipment. But buy quality stuff and it will last if you take care of it.

Whack-a-mole
06-18-2012, 15:13
I had an Osprey aether, but took it back because I didn't like the pockets. Made it hard to use water bottles. Each pack is different, and has different accessories, so look at packs that fit you, and that also fit your style. I have two sleeping bags, one for colder, and one for warmer, so of course I have to look at the weather forcast before I go. I use a BA CS 2, but I am really big, and need the room. A one man tent is just too little for me. I also use a TR prolite, which is overkill for most people, but when you weigh 255lbs, you mash the little pads to nothing real quick. I know it is an extra pound, but this way I'm sleeping and not waking up every hour with a numb hip. The reason I have said these things, is that not everyone is the same. People's bodies are different. What is comfy for one is not for another. So, use a little common sense when you buy things. Buy quality items that seem like they will work for you and your hiking style. Buy things that fit you. Be smart with your money. Use it to get out and enjoy the outdoors.

deerfu
06-18-2012, 15:39
Thanks for starting this thread soboyle. I'm new to section hiking too and have only taken small excursions and overnighters so far. I will add that I've switched over to hammock camping and my comfort level while sleeping has gone up substantially.

pyroman53
06-19-2012, 11:06
I also agree with 10-K. Search out those items, see what they weigh and cost, and use that information to "measure" whatever your personal preferences might be. For instance, you might not like the Rainbow, but whatever you do like should be comparable in weight and need not be much more expensive.

The only other suggestion would be, if you think you might be pretty serious about light weight (I too do not suggest ultralight), you could consider the ULA Circuit Pack, but, since the Circuit is somewhat smaller in size, you would have to be very frugal with the amount and bulk of the other gear you want to carry. If your other gear (and food) is somewhat bulky and you're not planning to make changes now, then the Catalyst will serve you well.

There are other brands that will do just as well or better, depending on your preferences. Just remember, ounces add up to pounds in a hurry.

MuddyWaters
06-19-2012, 23:05
You need to select all your gear, know how much room it takes up, to really select a pack.

With a little effort you can have reasonably lightweight gear that you wont be itching to replace next yr. Gear thats also reasonably durable. There are still tradeoffs, lightweight gear is not AS durable as heavyweight.

I suggest packs in the <3 lb range from Granite Gear, ULA, and Gossamer Gear
I suggest tents in the <2 lb range. SMD, Lightheart gear, tarptent
I suggest sleeping bag from Montbell, UL #3 Super Spiral Down 2012 (30F ENrated, 22oz)
For sleeping pad, I suggest Exped Synmat UL7, or a ridgrest solite with an additional Gossamer Gear torso lite pad under it

Latitude918
06-20-2012, 08:03
My big 4 consist of: Osprey Kestrel 58, Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL, Eureka Silver City 30* bag, and a simple blue pad for between the layers of my hammock, though a under quilt is coming soon.

FarmerChef
06-20-2012, 16:04
For what it's worth (YMMV) I use:

GoLite Jam (but I'd hike with a Cuben Fiber pack if it weren't for the kids and lower food weight)
3/4 length Z-rest
10x12 SilNylon tarp (I sewed it but there are easily commercial varieties available)

My sleeping pad is a cheap $20 fleece bag that is small and LIGHT. Inside is a silk liner ($15 on Ebay) and, when it's cold, we pack an extra fleece bag we unzip for a blanket (serves 2 to 3). This sleep system only works for a family. I would NOT recommend this for a solo hiker relying only on their body heat to stay warm. Several of the other bags listed in the other posts would make a great part of your gear list. If you want to be adventurous, you could try something akin to the Ray Way quilt or similar. I haven't tried that so can't tell you one way or another.

As you can figure from my list, I sleep on the ground. Hammocks sound awesome but with a family of 5 and a dog that would be cost prohibitive for me. In my pack, I can easily fit all the gear I need for a solo plus another 10 to 15 pounds of food and 3 liters of water in my Platy. My base weight is just south of 9 pounds so yes, I ultralight. But I do it very cheaply so don't let cost turn you away from saving ounces.

Bearleg
06-20-2012, 22:01
Just finished my first section hike, but have alot of experience with scouts, the best advise is can give you is something i read on this site. invest what you can on lite equipment, and get the best pack you can. i is easier to pack lite weight gear in a heavy pack than it is to pack heavy in a lite weight pack. the two big investments you will make besides a pack is a sleeping bag and a tent/hammock(or not) your food and water is controlled by the number of days and the elements. Your only bad choice is not hiking. here is my list

Bearleg
06-20-2012, 22:05
Just finished my first section hike, but have alot of experience with scouts, the best advise is can give you is something i read on this site. invest what you can on lite equipment, and get the best pack you can. i is easier to pack lite weight gear in a heavy pack than it is to pack heavy in a lite weight pack. the two big investments you will make besides a pack is a sleeping bag and a tent/hammock(or not) your food and water is controlled by the number of days and the elements. Your only bad choice is not hiking. here is my list

Jansport pack bought on sale
Eurka spitfire solo tent, on sale with coupon from local sporting good store
down 30 degree bag, bought from sportsman guide,
Esbit stove cook set, amazon $40
Ridgerest, sleeping pad
several small nylon stuff sacks.

trail shoes, Teva

Wise Old Owl
06-20-2012, 23:26
Take a peek at the obvious bing search... I am trying to help - but the big four on wb is a hoot and there are other threads here. I have enjoyed making my own lists from notes on threads here, but it is all about what you can afford to do.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=ultra+light+gear+list&form=OSDSRC

soboyle
06-21-2012, 13:32
Thanks all for the excellent suggestions, will take them all into consideration. I'm willing to spend the extra cash for lightweight gear that will last me (and my knees) for years to come.
I've been totaling up the weights of different gear I am looking at, and man those ounces add up after a while. Even going with a 3 lb tent (the BA UL2) and an Osprey Exos 58 backpack (under 3 lbs), my weights are still coming up to about 30 lbs once all the bits and pieces are added in.
A few more questions -
How much weight are you carrying?
How much weight are you carrying in food for a 1 week outing?
Suggested water filter?
Stove? What fuel? Have always used the MSR stoves with good success.

pyroman53
06-22-2012, 10:42
In my world, 30 pounds is great for a week!! That is, if that includes food and water. I can't get below that (for 3 season trips) no matter how hard I look at things. There are those that do, but I can't figure out how to do it. Sure, during the heat of summer I could, but just barely since just about anywhere can hit you with some cold nasty weather.
Food weight for a week-long section for me is about 1.75 pds per day. I shoot for 100 cals/oz, meaning that's about 2800 cals per day. I lose 4-5 pounds on a week trip, but gain it back within hours of hitting town!!
No filter - I use Aqua Mira on AT. Out here (AZ), where I'm sharing the mud puddle with cattle, I use a filter, but I can't recall which one. It weighs almost a pd!!
I use a pocket rocket stove.

Ktaadn
06-22-2012, 14:28
Thanks all for the excellent suggestions, will take them all into consideration. I'm willing to spend the extra cash for lightweight gear that will last me (and my knees) for years to come.
I've been totaling up the weights of different gear I am looking at, and man those ounces add up after a while. Even going with a 3 lb tent (the BA UL2) and an Osprey Exos 58 backpack (under 3 lbs), my weights are still coming up to about 30 lbs once all the bits and pieces are added in.
A few more questions -
How much weight are you carrying?
How much weight are you carrying in food for a 1 week outing?
Suggested water filter?
Stove? What fuel? Have always used the MSR stoves with good success.

I have my skin-out weight down to about 15.3 pounds without food and water. If I had to carry food for a full week, that would probably add another 10-12 pounds. I use a spreadsheet to track the weight of everything including calories per ounce for food. I don't cook so I'm saving weight on a stove and fuel.

I highly recommend a Sawyer Squeeze water filter. It only weights a few ounces and takes up very little space. I try to carry very little water unless the upcoming water sources are questionable.

tnvarmint
07-02-2012, 12:26
I recommend you use weighmygear.com. Its free and a great site to keep tabs on your weight.

My gear list:
Kelty Redstone 60L 3lb 14oz
Pack Cover 6oz
Kelty Salida 2 Tent 3lb 12oz
Footprint 8oz
Koppen Viggo 20 2lb 10oz
ThermaRest ZLite 14oz
Platypus 3L 6oz
MSR Pocket Rocket 4oz
8oz Fuel Cannister 8oz
Primus Litech Cookset 10oz
MSR Miniworks Filter 1lb

This gives me a base weight of just shy of 15 lbs. Throw in my toiletries and rain jacket, clothing, etc and it puts my base weight to around 18 lbs. Also in the heat of summer like right now I drop the sleeping bag for a fleece bag liner that works great and sheds almost 2 lbs. It is by no means UL but it puts me with food and water around 30ish lbs. I am looking at possibly going with a two person hammock system in the near future. I backpack with my wife so a two person is needed over a single. I could also drop a lb by going with water tablets rather than the pump but I like the instant satisfaction of having water within seconds of getting to a source. If I were to thru hike I might trade out the filter for tablets but on a several day section I will keep it.

QiWiz
07-02-2012, 13:02
You might want to think of a shaped tarp (like those sold by Six Moon Designs, TarpTents, and ZPacks as examples) if you want to save shelter weight. If you can afford it, the ZPacks Hexamid is wonderful. The SMD Wild Oasis is a similar less expensive option. Don't get a new pack until you have pared the rest of your gear down and see what you really need to carry.

fredmugs
07-02-2012, 14:43
I bought a Steripen Opti this year and it is so much nicer that my Katadyn pump. Weighs less and is much smaller.

Stove wise I went up in weight with a Jet Boil (over and MSR) because it boils water so fast.

You may also want to consider buying your stuff from REI since you can return it if it doesn't work, fit, etc.

star
07-02-2012, 21:42
I agree with Fredmugs. I have a Steripen and LOVE it. I got it last year and just replaced the batteries after probably a dozen trips. Truly effortless if your water sources are clear.

I carry a REI Flash 65 pack and really like it. I've also had a Gregory Baltoro 70 which has more padding in the hipbelt and shoulder straps, but it's 2 lbs heavier. The Flash is not Ultralight but somewhere in between.

I use a Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2 tent to solo in. Dog and I fit well. The rain protection is way better than any tent I've used before. You can set it up with only the fly and footprint and be at 2.5 lbs if needed.

I've got a REI 20* down sleeping bag I really like. It's a roomier model but still 3 lbs.

Get a Thermarest Neo Air! I have enjoyed camping so much more since I picked one up.

Stove I use is a Snowpeak titanium cannister model. It works great with a 700ml Snowpeak titanium pot.

I agree again with Fredmugs about getting everything at REI. If anything you get doesn't work for you, they will refund it for you 'no questions ask.'

Short Bus
07-02-2012, 22:08
Hi all,

Here is my rundown FWIW:

ULA Curcuit
Warbonnett 1.7 DL Blackbird (love getting off the ground)
Warbonnett UQ and TQ (3 season)
Superfly tarp
Jetboil Sol TI
Big Zip 2l Platy