PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bags!?!?

Sarah1520
06-15-2012, 22:31
I'm doing the Massachusetts and Vermont sections of the AT during the month of August. What kind of sleeping bag should I be using? (ie, how cold does it get at night in these states?)

THANKS!

Monkeywrench
06-16-2012, 05:42
In August you can expect overnight lows in the low to mid- 60s F, and an especially cold night might be down into the mid-40s F.

moldy
06-16-2012, 10:19
I would pack my 40 degree bag. If at the last minute the weatherman indicates that it will be much colder than normal, I would bring along my light weight sheet.

Snowleopard
06-16-2012, 14:51
The weather underground has weather history for many many places (2 stations in my little town). For the station half way up Stratton Mt, VT:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVTBONDV1&graphspan=month&month=8&day=16&year=2006
The coldest night time temp would probably be in the middle 40s F. (7C.) and the average low would be in the 50s F..
If your sleeping bag is truly good for you at 45F (7C), then you'll be fine. I've often used a bag good for 20F (-7C) and been fine, but on the warmer nights I use it as a quilt and only cover myself if it gets cool.

You should bring a sweater or fleece anyway, so if your bag is a little too cold sleep in all your clothes. A homemade synthetic quilt (climashield) would be a nice thing to have for summer.