PDA

View Full Version : Bennington

shades of blue
04-15-2005, 15:57
Where would you recommend staying in Bennington, Vermont? That's where my significant other is meeting me for a weeks hike in July. She'll be coming in on a bus from Albany, NY and I'll be coming in from the AT at Vt. 9.

Grampie
04-16-2005, 09:03
During my 2001 thru I stayed at the Autumn Inn In Bennington. The folks that ran it were nice, had a good resturant next door and a grocery store just down the street.
The phone # is 802-442-2866.

MOWGLI
04-16-2005, 09:16
Bennington is a great little town, but it can be expensive. There is a motel on the right as you enter town (I forget the name), but a bus load of Senior Citizens arrived about 5 minutes before me and filled it up, so I was forced to spend $70+ on a Motor Lodge. That was the most money I paid for lodging the entire trip. Then again, you might want to splurge on some nicer accomodations considering the occasion.

I would check the ALDHA Companion and see what kind of options you have.

Enjoy Vermont! What a great state!

Blue Jay
04-16-2005, 09:18
During my 2001 thru I stayed at the Autumn Inn In Bennington. The folks that ran it were nice, had a good resturant next door and a grocery store just down the street.
The phone # is 802-442-2866.

Yes, this is a great place. I've shuttled dozens of hikers to and from this place and never heard a complaint, several last year. One nice thing about Bennington is there is not the weird bickering about why one place adores hikers while another is merely a great place to stay. Another is you can resupply books there, as there is a great used bookstore on main street, not far from the Inn.

arla
04-16-2005, 17:16
If you e-mail me at [email protected], we may be able to offer you a place to stay, centrally located (half a block from the post office) in Bennington. We met some AT thru hikers last year who stayed with us and are expecting more this year. I e-mailed a response to Rain Man, and tried to copy you, but just in case you didn't get it...

Our house is filled with musical instruments so you should feel at home as I note that you are a music teacher. And, by the way, the bus station is only a block and a half at most from our house, so Mary could get here quite easily. The AT crosses Route 9 in Woodford, maybe three or four miles east of Bennington. If we're around, we're willing to pick you up.

Arla

Blue Jay
04-17-2005, 16:31
I told you Bennington is a great place.

Swaggmann
10-30-2011, 02:51
Stayed at a neatplace called "The Vortex" in Bennington this last July 2011. It is aprivate home owned by a couple of burned out hippie types, great folks! Veryfriendly and accommodating folks! If you get into town, ask for where theFriendly's Restaurant is located. It is the old Victorian house next to thelow-income apartment complex. You get to stay free the first night in the carriagehouse in the rear. They ask for $15 if you stay a second night. I did and itwas worth every cent. The Post Office is around the corner, downtown is acouple of blocks north with plenty of restaurants and bars to sooth any hikers apatite.There is a shuttle that runs from downtown to the shopping centers north ofBennington for $2.50 one way. There is a great micro-brewery in town as well asa sensational Chinese restaurant and Pizza parlor. Laundromat is on the eastend of town next to the Pizza parlor. Heads up though, the owners are trying tosell their home so “The Vortex” my not be long for this world. Mega thumbs upthough! Happy Trails! Swagman

Thru
02-08-2012, 23:48
Hi, very new here. Had to create account because I couldn't find the info:

How do I reach the Vortex folks?

It's not in the AWOL 2012 guide.

Went from Daleville, VA to Bennington, VT last year and want to pick up where I left off, but had an awful time at the hotel near the edge of town and would prefer to avoid it this year.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

SCRUB HIKER
02-09-2012, 02:47
How do I reach the Vortex folks?

PM Arla above. She's one half of them. I stayed there last summer for a zero day and had a fine time--best part was getting to rent bikes to cruise around town for free.

- Scrub

greenmtnboy
07-30-2012, 17:56
I just stopped by Greenwood Lodge at Woodford right at the entrance to Prospect Mtn., up route 9. It looks to be a very well run hostel and campground with internet, etc., @$28 for shared accomodations. It is roughly 3 miles from the rt9 trail crossing. ph802-442-2547

wornoutboots
10-12-2022, 12:54
I just spoke to the Welcome Center in Bennington & man they are wonderful and very helpful!!
I am planning on flying into Albany next week, finding a ride to Bennington, staying the night somewhere in Bennington and hitting the trail the following morning. Sorry, not exactly sure of the day yet, need to button a few things up here in at home.
The welcome center is telling me they are in Peak Fall season currently so I am hoping to ride that Crayola Box down the DWG where I got off the trail last.
I am curious, is there a hostel in town or any trail angel's that will put a lone hiker up for a night? ( I will try the older email up this thread as well)
Also any trail angels in town that can pick me up from the Albany airport and take me to Bennington? If not I'll take a bus (if available) but I wld rather patronize a hiker.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Everyone!

LittleRock
10-12-2022, 15:31
I highly recommend the Catamount Motel in Bennington. Stayed there a few weeks ago on my section hike. They are very hiker friendly. Rooms were $55 and included a shuttle to/from the trailhead on VT route 9.

I started south of Bennington in Mass. but I flew into Albany and used Debbie Andrus (413-841-4362) out of Pittsfield, MA for a shuttle.

wornoutboots
10-12-2022, 15:48
I highly recommend the Catamount Motel in Bennington. Stayed there a few weeks ago on my section hike. They are very hiker friendly. Rooms were $55 and included a shuttle to/from the trailhead on VT route 9.

I started south of Bennington in Mass. but I flew into Albany and used Debbie Andrus (413-841-4362) out of Pittsfield, MA for a shuttle.

Sweet!! Thanks LittleRock!!