PDA

View Full Version : Good enough, or upgrade??

Japp
06-17-2012, 01:53
Hey I just joined so hello. I'm trying to see what I don't need to do a through hike starting mid March 2013. I have a SnugPak Elite 4 (issued to me by my employer). It's rated to 15* however it has synthetic fill and weighs 4.3 lbs.

My question is would it be worth it to purchase a lighter winter down bag for the short time I'll need it (not really worried about the money)??? trying to decide if it's worth it for the weight savings in the beginning of the trip?

Anybody have experience doing a thru hike with a 4 pound bag, and if so would you want a lighter bag at the start or is it enough to just mail it home once it warms up and deal with it till then?

Japp
06-17-2012, 01:55
II'm trying to see what I don't need to do"

What i don't need to buy is what I meant

leaftye
06-17-2012, 02:35
This is why I really like down quilts.

For 1.875 pounds and $220 you can get a down quilt that's good for 0°F from www.enLIGHTenedequipment.com. Add a DownWorks down balaclava (http://www.downworks.com/downworks/Balaclava.html) for another $75 and 3 ounces.

A down balaclava is overkill for hiking, but it would do the job if you want a sleeping solution that's good for 0°F.

All you need to do to make that sleeping solution good for warmer temperatures is to swap the down balaclava with something lighter like a 1 ounce RayWay bomber hat. The quilt will still be comfy because you can spread out the edges of the flaps for ventilation, open the quilt like a blanket for further ventilation, and take advantage of the karo baffles by moving the down to the edges to reduce the insulation over your body.

This quilt is light and flexible enough that I personally wouldn't bother with a second quilt for summer, but if you insist, there's a 40°F quilt that weighs exactly half as much.

To answer your question, I've hiked with a 0°F synthetic sleeping bag. The weight is an issue, but the considerable bulk was much worse. A bag that big almost requires a good compression bag, and that adds weight and takes a couple rough minutes on frigid mornings. A larger and heavier pack is usually required to accommodate the bag, even if a compression bag is used. So that's a big and heavy bag, a heavy stuff/compression bag, and a big and heavy pack. A down quilt compresses so well that most people don't use a compression bag. We just stuff our quilts in the bottom of our packs and then put everything else on top. The compression straps of the pack is all that's needed.

grayfox
06-17-2012, 07:20
This kind of depends on when you start and how long you might need to carry a winter bag. Obviously, the lighter the better, especially at the start when you will probably be carrying a lot of things that will be sent home later.

If money is no problem, look at Western Mountaineering bags. They are among the best down bags but they cost a lot. Keep in mind that during the summer you will want something cooler. A system of two light bags, one oversized and one regular, can be used together at both ends of your hike and one sent home for the summer.

rocketsocks
06-17-2012, 07:43
Yep,If Money was no issue,then yes i'd get a lighter bag.You could cut that in half very easy,and 2 pounds is 2 pounds,and again it's is an easy fix,just a purchase away.Some struggle to loose that kind of weight in there gear,so I say,why not,2 pounds is about a quart of water,6-8 really big snickers bars,2 lbs.is also about the same weight as most will eat in a day while on a distance hike...so i'm told.

Japp
06-17-2012, 08:30
I looked at Western Mountaineering and I think that might be where my business goes. For warmer temps I have this http://proforceequipment.com/product-details.php?id=203&catid=4 (also issued by employer) and this liner http://proforceequipment.com/product-details.php?id=51&catid=26 The liner is 2 lbs by itself however I don't know if I would need it or if the 45* 36* max jungle bag would be plenty for those warmer temps. I would like to avoid having to buy two new bags especially since the Jungle Bag is only 27 ounces. I'm also fairly comfortable in cooler temps and have spent time in the mountains over seas so a little chill now and then doesn't bother me too much.

Thanks again.

Japp
06-17-2012, 08:31
Oh and mid to late March would be my ideal start time.

10-K
06-17-2012, 08:34
For 1.875 pounds and $220 you can get a down quilt that's good for 0°F from www.enLIGHTenedequipment.com (http://www.enLIGHTenedequipment.com). Add a DownWorks down balaclava (http://www.downworks.com/downworks/Balaclava.html) for another $75 and 3 ounces.

I know you're a big fan of this particular quilt with the ability to shift the down to moderate temps being a big advantage.

I'm wondering... does the down also have a tendency to "pool" - that is does it move around so much that there are areas where the down settles leaving cold spots (and creating hot spots).

leaftye
06-17-2012, 08:48
I know you're a big fan of this particular quilt with the ability to shift the down to moderate temps being a big advantage.

I'm wondering... does the down also have a tendency to "pool" - that is does it move around so much that there are areas where the down settles leaving cold spots (and creating hot spots).

Unfortunately I have an older version with traditional baffles. I think Tim started using karo baffles about a year after he made my quilt. I haven't had a problem with my 0°F cuben fiber quilt though.

Tim has said that he prefers to overstuff. Between overstuffing and the spacing of the karo baffles, the down stays where its put. That makes sense since there are baffles running both directions, so down has no easy path to follow like in traditional baffling systems. Others have said that the down must be pulled from one baffle to the next. Fwiw, I quoted the weight and price for a 0°F quilt with 30% overfill.

It's probably easy to see why I'm a fan of these quilts. I really like that a 0°F quilt with 30% over-stuffing is a mere 3 ounces heavier than the summer bag he plans to use, and costs less than half of what a Western Mountaineering bag will cost. To me it makes a lot of sense and cents.

10-K
06-17-2012, 09:03
I'm looking at the site now... are you talking about the Revelation X quilt?

Japp
06-17-2012, 10:19
Those quilts are getting my attention. I think I might actually get one of those. I have slept with a half opened sleeping bag for over a year so that would be great for me.

I was wondering how confining the quilt is when the draw strings are fully tightened?

I assume it stays very warm when they are tightened or it wouldn't be rated to 0* huh?

Japp
06-17-2012, 10:22
Another question...is the length the actual length of the quilt or is it the height of a person that will comfortably fit?

leaftye
06-17-2012, 19:55
I'm looking at the site now... are you talking about the Revelation X quilt?

That's the one. The other down versions use more expensive fabric, and cost a little more and weigh a little less.

I was wondering how confining the quilt is when the draw strings are fully tightened?

I assume it stays very warm when they are tightened or it wouldn't be rated to 0* huh?

It has two shock cord attachments, so there's give between the attachment points, and more give with the shock cord. The width will really dictate things though. On warm nights you'll have your quilt very loose, so it'll feel quite roomy. On cold nights you'll want to draw it tightly to your body to eliminate dead air space and also to reduce drafts. Drafts are bothersome when the temperature drops into the teens. I don't get cold in my quilt, but drafts that cold certainly get your attention. It doesn't help that I move around a lot while I sleep, or that I only wear my nylon hiking clothes when I sleep. If you wear more insulation when you sleep, that might prevent you from feeling drafts. That said, drafts don't bother me at all when the night time temperature is in the high 30's and above.

Another question...is the length the actual length of the quilt or is it the height of a person that will comfortably fit?

I'd have to double check, but I believe it's the actual length of the quilt.

Also pay attention to the width. If you're a side sleeper, a thick guy, or move around a lot, a wider quilt is better. If you are thin, sleep on your back without moving, or use a hammock, you can get by with a slimmer quilt.

Odd Man Out
06-17-2012, 20:14
Hey - I've been following this quilt discussion too.

Is a down head cover really necessary for cold temps or can you just pull the quilt over your head?

Also, I can't get the Quilt page at enlightened equipment to work. Is that just me or is their link bad?

leaftye
06-17-2012, 21:58
Some people pull the quilt over their head. That can work if you sleep on your side or stomach. You'll need a longer quilt to do that. As with any bag or quilt, make sure you don't breathe into it or condensation will spoil the insulation.

A down head cover isn't necessary, but it is the lightest and most compact solution for very cold temperatures. I did recommend the Rayway bomber hat, and that uses synthetic insulation. Both of these hats use puffy insulation, instead of knitting or fleece. I've had many fleece and wool beanies and balaclavas, but none of them actually felt warm. They Rayway bomber hat is warm. I think the Rayway bomber hat is perfect for thru hiking. It's one of my favorite pieces of equipment.

Japp
06-17-2012, 23:17
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the ZPack sleeping bags? The weight on them certainly gets my attention. http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

It's a bit more expensive than the EE quilt but 10 oz lighter for the ten degree bag

Owlet
06-17-2012, 23:50
I agree, my dad told me that he thought his sleeping bag was to heavy and he needed something different, and thought of the quilt. he's still not sure if hes gonna get it. also i just joined as well.

Owlet
06-17-2012, 23:51
agree with leaftye (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?25385-leaftye)

Japp
06-18-2012, 02:55
Is it just fine and well to use a 0 10 20 degree bag the whole hike and use it merely as a blanket of sorts. or will it make that much of a difference having two different bags?

leaftye
06-18-2012, 04:20
Comfort-wise, you can, although I find a sewn footbox can be too warm unless the bag is appropriate for the temperature. If you have a sleeping bag that opens completely, especially if it has a two way slider that allows the footbox to be opened at the bottom, that would probably be comfortable.

theinfamousj
06-25-2012, 00:23
Is it just fine and well to use a 0 10 20 degree bag the whole hike and use it merely as a blanket of sorts. or will it make that much of a difference having two different bags?

I have a -5 degree bag that I use year round. It weighs about 2 lbs and packs up larger than I'd like, but I don't have the money yet to buy a lighter summer (I sleep very cold so spring and fall are definitely for the winter bag) bag. I usually open the bag entirely and use it as a quilt with no trouble at all. I have a fully sewn foot box, but that doesn't mean I have to stick my feet in it. In the heat of the summer, I might wear socks (so my feet have some thermal insulation) and then pull the bag-er-quilt across my torso without sticking my feet in to it. Of note: I use a sleeping bag liner, always, even when not using my bag as a bag.