PDA

View Full Version : Staying Fit Between Hikes

Pedaling Fool
06-17-2012, 10:01
Are you one of the types that get your gut back as soon as you come off the trail? Then there's a product in the works for you. It's another example of science saving us from ourselves :)

http://www.business-standard.com/generalnews/news/soonpill-to-motivate-you-to-hitgym/20422/

Soon, a pill to motivate you to hit the gym

Want to shed those extra flab but struggle to get to the gym? Don't worry, scientists have now found a potential pill which they say could motivate you to exercise harder.

Researchers from the University of Zurich in Switzerland found that when a certain hormone in the brain was elevated in mice, it motivated them to run faster.

The hormone, called erythropoietin (or Epo), had the beneficial effect without elevating red blood cell counts at the same time, the researchers said.

The potential treatment could help people with conditions from obesity to Alzheimer's disease, where increased physical activity is known to improve symptoms, they added.

"Here we show that Epo increases the motivation to exercise. Most probably, Epo has a general effect on a person's mood and might be used in patients suffering from depression and related diseases," lead study researcher Max Gassmann was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.

In the study, published in 'The FASEB Journal', the team compared three types of mice: those that were injected with human Epo, those that were genetically modified to produce human Epo in their brain, and another group which received no treatment.

The researchers found that the two mouse groups that were harbouring human Epo in the brain ran faster and for longer than the control mice.

"If you can't put exercise in a pill, then may be you can put the motivation to exercise in a pill instead," said Dr Gerald Weissmann, Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal.

"As more and more people become overweight and obese, we must attack the problem from all angles. May be the day will come when gyms are as easily found as fast food restaurants."

Obesity is growing as an epidemic which causes several illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes. Sedentary lifestyle, smoking and drinking are all blamed for it.

Treatments to tackle obesity include gastric band operations, which costs 6,000 pounds per patient, as well as gastric bypass surgery -- which splits the stomach into compartments so patients feel full more quickly -- that costs around 10,000 pounds a time.

Cookerhiker
06-17-2012, 11:29
Interesting, and it has potential beyond helping backpackers post long hike.

10-K
06-17-2012, 11:33
Sounds like Procrit to me....

johnnybgood
06-17-2012, 11:45
Staying in a constant motion,i.e. daily exercise coupled with common sense eating habits increases the hormone levels as well.

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2012, 09:09
Staying in a constant state of motion,i.e. daily exercise couple with common sense eating habits increases the hormone levels as well.
Yes, staying active is a major factor in staying healthy, but people don't want to do that, hence my remark: "It's another example of science saving us from ourselves" ;)

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2012, 11:07
Awe John - I thought this was going to be another shameless plug for Ageless Male!

Whack-a-mole
06-18-2012, 12:45
P90X Baby!! It's not a fluke, it really works. Almost every exercise program will work very well, but the key is YOU HAVE TO DO IT.

perrymk
06-18-2012, 15:18
Almost every exercise program will work very well, but the key is YOU HAVE TO DO IT. Tru dat.

I like to say that the best exercise is the exercise that one will do.

Pedaling Fool
06-18-2012, 16:14
P90X Baby!! It's not a fluke, it really works. Almost every exercise program will work very well, but the key is YOU HAVE TO DO IT.It may be, but taking the pill will give people the requisite motivation to do it -- that's the point :)

Pedaling Fool
06-20-2012, 11:01
I like this guy's idea of shorter workouts, but going anaerobic everyday; I do at least once during my exercises at the gym or while running/cycling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUyMYHG_Vcg

Ladytrekker
06-20-2012, 12:29
I recently started Crossfit and its intense but I like it.

hikehunter
06-20-2012, 23:56
I teach karate 3 nites a week and walk 4 mile every morning..... as well as burning off extra energy at night with my wife from time to time every week......

scree
06-21-2012, 00:01
P90X Baby!! It's not a fluke, it really works. Almost every exercise program will work very well, but the key is YOU HAVE TO DO IT.

Yes - I do a hybrid P90X / Insanity program - they have to be combined with good nutrition to really work, and you'll probably find that you're in better shape at the start of a long hike than at the end of it unless you're nuts and carry bands with you. After a two week hike last year, I was surprised how hard it was to pick it back up.

All the Beachbody programs are great.. if you need motivation, just dig deeper :)

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2013, 08:50
A lot of people mention P90X and Insanity programs, I don't have anything against them, never tried them, but I do various aspects of cross training, like hitting a tire with a sledge hammer, etc...

However, I saw this article this morning; I think it's a fluke, but will post it any way. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-says-one-day-p90x-sent-him-emergency-170839781.html

Man says one day of P90X sent him to the emergency room

The P90X workout (http://p90xdvd.org/) is one of the biggest fitness trends in the past several years, with enthusiastic endorsements across the cultural spectrum, including everyone from singer Pink to 2012 Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan. But businessman Matt Lombardi says just one day of the program’s strenuous routine sent him into the emergency room with near kidney failure (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356600/Internet-entrepreneur-claims-died-kidney-failure-completing-just-session-P90X-workout-scheme.html).

“I simply wanted to get back in shape. I could have killed myself in the process,” Lombardi writes on his site, College Spun (http://collegespun.com/features/how-the-stress-of-running-a-startup-and-some-p90x-led-to-a-week-long-stay-in-the-hospital-with-rhabdomyolysis).

Lombardi says he has “always been an athlete” and that he didn’t wander recklessly into the program. Instead, he says he wanted to try P90X to help lose the 20 pounds he had gained while developing College Spun.

After completing only half of the first day of workouts, Lombardi said he woke up the next morning feeling sore and ill.

“If you’ve done P90X, then you know that the first day (chest & back) is really, really difficult,” he writes. “You’re asked to do push-ups, then pull-ups, then push-ups, then pull-ups. I lost count of my how many of each I did — but it was a lot. Eventually, my muscles just shut down.”

Despite the pain, he decided to try day two of the program. Instead, he found himself back in bed. On the third day, he describes using the bathroom and being shocked when his urine “looked like Coca-Cola.”

After a quick Web search, Lombardi guessed he was experiencing rhabdomyolysis. The National Institutes of Health describes the condition as “the breakdown of muscle fibers that leads to the release of muscle fiber contents (myoglobin) into the bloodstream. Myoglobin is harmful to the kidney and often causes kidney damage.”

The condition is commonly brought on by excessive physical activity and results when excessive toxins are released into the bloodstream.
So, why did Lombardi end up in the hospital when thousands of other individuals, many without a background in athletic activity, have a positive experience with P90X? Several experts warn that jumping into P90X, or any intense workout routine, without taking proper precautions poses a wide array of risks (http://www.livestrong.com/article/297293-the-dangers-of-p90x-exercises/).

Of course, like any other trendy exercise program, P90X is not without its critics. In a YouTube video, Dr. Jarod Carter, a doctor of physical therapy, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2o3TiKQog)jokes that the program has been great for his business, by increasing the number of patients who come to him with lower-back pain resulting from P90X.

“I see a lot of people trying to do, or being asked to do, abdominal exercises that their abs are simply not strong enough to actually do,” he says in the video.

“I’ll be honest — P90X has a number of ‘warnings’ about what strenuous exercise can do to your body,” Lombardi wrote. “But if I’d specifically known about rhabdomyolysis, I don’t think I’d have ever even taken the plunge.”

Lombardi then checked himself into an emergency room, where he says the levels of toxins in his bloodstream were literally off the charts.

“My blood test came back with a CPK (creatine phosphokinase) level of over 16,800 (the max they can test for),” he wrote. “Normal CPK levels, I was told, usually run between 10-200 micrograms per liter. These levels are a huge indicator of severe rhabdomylolysis.”

Doctors hooked him up to an IV, Lombardi wrote, and he spent the next several days under observation while doctors waited for the toxicity levels in his bloodstream to return to normal.

Going forward, he was told to approach future exercise routines with caution.

“My two biggest takeaways from the entire ordeal? You can’t put your muscles through a strenuous workout without leading up to it, and you need to recognize when you’re body is telling you that there is something wrong,” Lombardi writes. “The first could have killed me, while the second may have saved me.”

MuddyWaters
07-06-2013, 13:57
Staying in-shape is the key.

When you are out-of-shape, cardiovascular excercise is hard, nauseating. You dont want to do it.

When you are in-shape, its *almost* fun to push yourself to new limits.

Keep in shape year around with cardio and weights, and theres no problem.

All it takes is 2 weeks without cardio or weights and your body begins a rapid regression.

rocketsocks
07-06-2013, 14:45
So now I have to stay in shape in order to do my program...to do my program...those bastages.

truth be told this type of training will never affect me...I don't work it that hard, there's a little voice inside me that say's ..."Hey idiot, your over doin it, maybe take a break, go schlep"

I'll just keep on walkin, do some squats, lift a little weight...take breaks on the up hills...and call it good!

Traffic Jam
07-06-2013, 16:14
I bet Lance wishes he had never heard of epo...

mumbls
07-06-2013, 16:38
I can see if one has some sort of natural deficit of this hormone.. but, to me anyway, I feel like part of the workout is overcoming the mental gunk that clogs the pipe of progress.

tawa
07-06-2013, 16:53
I teach karate 3 nites a week and walk 4 mile every morning..... as well as burning off extra energy at night with my wife from time to time every week......

Sounds like a great plan---and nice of you to help her with laundry and housecleaning a few evenings each week!

Cyngbaeld
07-30-2013, 14:36
Being a homesteader I get a good workout pretty much daily. Today I was out digging ditches again.

Dogwood
07-30-2013, 15:48
Staying in a constant motion,i.e. daily exercise coupled with common sense eating habits increases the hormone levels as well.

Yes, staying active is a major factor in staying healthy, but people don't want to do that, hence my remark: "It's another example of science saving us from ourselves" ;)

That stance seems philosophical. Science doesn't need to be deified. Science is merely human discovery and current understanding. It's human discovery in terms of knowledge and wisdom that can help us. It's what JohnnyBGood was saying. Human discovery lets us know and wisdom gets us to follow through to apply what we know.

I think you're selling humanity short. People DO want to stay active and stay healthy when they are properly motivated. BUT how about focusing more on getting more people motivated without having to take a magic motivating pill to experience these benefits through knowledge and wisdom? Lots of ways to motivate people to exercise and make healthier dietary choices. After all it was you in another thread that stated we are already a culture too accustomed to the mentality that a magic pill will solve our problems and account for questionable lifestyle choices/behavior? I think on that same thread you mentioned people needing to take greater personal responsibility too which doesn't seem to jive with the notion we can just pop pills to change/fix the consequences of our behavior or to motivate us. Although, a magic motivating pill could be another tool used on a short term basis in extreme life threatening cases to get people conditioned to getting fit. And, I see the tone the article was taking with mentioning gastric band bypasses. etc.

But, there already is a magic leaf that motivates people to move and exercise - it's called coca - which IS NOT to be confused with the use of the illicit street use of cocaine! The Bolivian and Peruvian cultures use it to great effectiveness in this manner when they chew it. How about caffeine also? And, caffeine does not equal coffee! You can have the potential benefits of caffeine without drinking coffee! Caffeine comes in pill, food, and other drink forms.

Pedaling Fool
07-30-2013, 16:21
That stance seems philosophical. Science doesn't need to be deified. Science is merely human discovery and current understanding. It's human discovery in terms of knowledge and wisdom that can help us. It's what JohnnyBGood was saying. Human discovery lets us know and wisdom gets us to follow through to apply what we know.

I think you're selling humanity short. People DO want to stay active and stay healthy when they are properly motivated. BUT how about focusing more on getting more people motivated without having to take a magic motivating pill to experience these benefits through knowledge and wisdom? Lots of ways to motivate people to exercise and make healthier dietary choices. After all it was you in another thread that stated we are already a culture too accustomed to the mentality that a magic pill will solve our problems and account for questionable lifestyle choices/behavior? I think on that same thread you mentioned people needing to take greater personal responsibility too which doesn't seem to jive with the notion we can just pop pills to change/fix the consequences of our behavior or to motivate us. Although, a magic motivating pill could be another tool used on a short term basis in extreme life threatening cases to get people conditioned to getting fit. And, I see the tone the article was taking with mentioning gastric band bypasses. etc.

But, there already is a magic leaf that motivates people to move and exercise - it's called coca - which IS NOT to be confused with the use of the illicit street use of cocaine! The Bolivian and Peruvian cultures use it to great effectiveness in this manner when they chew it. How about caffeine also? And, caffeine does not equal coffee! You can have the potential benefits of caffeine without drinking coffee! Caffeine comes in pill, food, and other drink forms.I'm not deifying science. You seem to take a lot of things a little too seriously. And yes, I agree science is merely human discovery and current understanding.

I'm not selling humanity short, rather I'm selling some individuals short. You say, "People DO want to stay active and stay healthy when they are properly motivated." On one hand you're correct, I'm properly motivated by looking at old people and how pathetic they become in old age, that's not for me and that motivates me to be healthy, which takes work, I mean a lot of work. You can't just eat right and do some exercise. However, for some nothing seems to motivate them. It's as if they need to be a victim. Just look around.

I'm not promoting popping a pill, I just find various endeavors in science interesting and shared it. Really the examples you gave are not much different than popping a pill, but if that works for you, so be it. Me, I just want to be healthy as I age and not be one of the hikers that complain about knee pain or whatever. When you are fit hiking is so much more enjoyable.

moytoy
07-30-2013, 18:44
I'm not deifying science. You seem to take a lot of things a little too seriously. And yes, I agree science is merely human discovery and current understanding.

I'm not selling humanity short, rather I'm selling some individuals short. You say, "People DO want to stay active and stay healthy when they are properly motivated." On one hand you're correct, I'm properly motivated by looking at old people and how pathetic they become in old age, that's not for me and that motivates me to be healthy, which takes work, I mean a lot of work. You can't just eat right and do some exercise. However, for some nothing seems to motivate them. It's as if they need to be a victim. Just look around.

I'm not promoting popping a pill, I just find various endeavors in science interesting and shared it. Really the examples you gave are not much different than popping a pill, but if that works for you, so be it. Me, I just want to be healthy as I age and not be one of the hikers that complain about knee pain or whatever. When you are fit hiking is so much more enjoyable.
I go to the gym everyday after I get off work. Some days I just don't feel like going. I discovered that a cup of coffee was enough to motivate me. So that's what I do if I need it. I can't say that the coffee is all that good for me but if itgets me to the gym then it can't be all bad. I may be one of those pathetic old guys but at least I'm a healthy pathetic old guy:) A pill? I'm not so sure I would do that.

Dogwood
07-30-2013, 20:10
I get ya PF. Staying fit or pursuing healthiness isn't solely dependent on whether I'm hiking or not. Hiking is just one thing that assists in fitness and health. Staying fit and being as healthy as I know how is a lifestyle decision that isn't turned on or off by whether or not I'm hiking. In this sense you're question simply becomes, what do you do to stay fit. Many posters just went into great detail about how they get and stay fit on a recent thread.

One thing I do a little different in terns of fitness when not long distance hiking is that I lower my daily caloric intake and percentage of fat cals in that total daily caloric intake.

Pedaling Fool
07-31-2013, 09:58
I go to the gym everyday after I get off work. Some days I just don't feel like going. I discovered that a cup of coffee was enough to motivate me. So that's what I do if I need it. I can't say that the coffee is all that good for me but if itgets me to the gym then it can't be all bad. I may be one of those pathetic old guys but at least I'm a healthy pathetic old guy:) A pill? I'm not so sure I would do that.Nothing wrong with that. When I say I'm motivtated by the fear of being dependent and somewhat immobile as I age, that's not to say I think of that everytime I force myself to workout; it's only the "big picture" motivation. I employ several tactics to get me to workout, including coffee.

I know I must sound like a bubbly exercise freak, sort of like Richard Simmons on the computer screen. However, the reality is quite different. I struggle a lot with working out, it's a constant struggle, I'm far from being a gym rat.

Personally, I do think it is an inconvience, but ain't my rules, it's mother nature's rules and she doesn't allow us, especially us old folks the luxury of sitting on our laurels just because we've done X-amount of physical activity or just broke a personal record -- mother nature has no retirement plan, she just keeps crackin' the whip. It's really not much different than a rat on one of them exercise wheels.

It's so easy to stop after you get somewhat fit, it happens all the time to people. I believe a big part of this is because despite feeling great when you're in shape, you still get use to that feeling, so you become somewhat immune to that great feeling and when that happens it's so easy to not motivate yourself in to working out. And the more time that passes the tougher it is to get back on the horse.

moytoy
07-31-2013, 12:01
Nothing wrong with that. When I say I'm motivtated by the fear of being dependent and somewhat immobile as I age, that's not to say I think of that everytime I force myself to workout; it's only the "big picture" motivation. I employ several tactics to get me to workout, including coffee.

I know I must sound like a bubbly exercise freak, sort of like Richard Simmons on the computer screen. However, the reality is quite different. I struggle a lot with working out, it's a constant struggle, I'm far from being a gym rat.

Personally, I do think it is an inconvience, but ain't my rules, it's mother nature's rules and she doesn't allow us, especially us old folks the luxury of sitting on our laurels just because we've done X-amount of physical activity or just broke a personal record -- mother nature has no retirement plan, she just keeps crackin' the whip. It's really not much different than a rat on one of them exercise wheels.

It's so easy to stop after you get somewhat fit, it happens all the time to people. I believe a big part of this is because despite feeling great when you're in shape, you still get use to that feeling, so you become somewhat immune to that great feeling and when that happens it's so easy to not motivate yourself in to working out. And the more time that passes the tougher it is to get back on the horse.
All true....:)

Pedaling Fool
11-24-2013, 11:49
Staying fit between hikes is probably a good motivator for many, however, for me it's more about staying fit as I age. It's one thing to see the pain of old people struggling just to walk down the street, but I've seen the effects first hand, it ain't for me. This guy is supposedly 73, if true, he's in damn good shape. Kind of makes you want to get old :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2MAaAY_YPE

sbhikes
12-01-2013, 21:54
I started a strength training program (Starting Strength) a year ago. I can squat a little more than my bodyweight now. Seeing the progress on the barbells is motivation and the hills are starting to feel really easy. All this without a lot of slogging it out running or bicycle commuting. I love it!

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2013, 10:32
Another new year is just around the corner. Are you still battling the bulge? Are you still finding yourself not physically prepared for your next hike? Are you feeling the effects of ageing and would like to reverse it?

Stop looking for a pill or some magical program and just do it; it's pathetically simple, only tough part is getting that ball rolling...

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/4-reasons-running-best-weight-loss-160900106.html

JAK
12-16-2013, 10:38
I know of some pills that motivate you to take more pills.

tiptoe
12-16-2013, 11:32
I don't maintain hike-ready fitness between hikes, and don't try to. I take 4-mile walks about every other day, swim 1/2 mile and use strength machines maybe twice a week, and generally stay active gardening, hauling (and splitting firewood as needed), shoveling snow, walking up and down stairs, and so on. No TV, no fitness pills. I eat a healthy diet, get enough sleep, etc., etc. I know that when I hit the trail as a section hiker, I need to start slow, and I know I'll be really tired the second day. After a while, I'm fine. I won't break any speed or endurance records, but I'll enjoy my hiking.

juma
12-16-2013, 19:01
you can't really stay fit between hikes.

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 19:52
Watching Michelle warm up and beat the rest of the field easily gets me motivated to stay fit every time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7oX1yCFU0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3SLvZ2AVL0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3eF-HFBxM She was in the 2013 SI Swimsuit Edition too. I'm doing it all for Michelle. I'm thinking of becoming a hurdler now. Seriously, I post pics of fit people all over my house as motivation to stay fit.

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 20:01
IF I start the self pity lazy excuse laden BS here's another who gets me motivated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyongVwBw2E GET OVER JUDGING HIM FOR THE ACCENT, DATED FLAT TOP, POLITICS, MOVIES, and the stupid CONSENTUAL shart he did with the maid. He's an accomplished individual! NO PILL NEEDED!

Coffee
12-16-2013, 20:09
Training for a late winter/early spring marathon the last two years has kept me motivated in the winter months and kept my cardio system in top shape. This isn't a complete replacement for hiking nor does it use all of the muscle groups used in hiking but at least I won't be gasping for air all the time in the spring when I resume backpacking. I've also mixed in some local trail running at times when road running gets too monotonous. At 40, I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life.

Dogwood
12-16-2013, 20:11
In my trail journal I carry on every hike I paste pics of the hike along the way and at the finish line in it. I look at those pics everyday during the hike. I remember WHY I'm backpacking. I write in that journal my experiences, what I'm learning, how I'm improving, what I'm appreciating, and, most importantly, how I'm contributing, routinely. Keeps me happily focused yet flowing with the journey. Do the same things about where I want to hike(trails) and WHY? I regularly cross hikes off the list letting me FEEL the forward progress I'm making not only as a long distance hiker but in LIFE as a person.

Pedaling Fool
12-17-2013, 11:23
I'm not saying that I (or anyone) can maintain fitness to the point of being 100% hike-ready, such as the hiking condition one might find themselves in at the end of say a 2-month hike.

I've noticed over time that when you bring up the issue of using one activity to improve another activity, such as running to improve cyling; cycling to improve running; weightlifting to improve hiking...or any combination... That there are those advocates of a give activity (in this case hiking) that say the same thing as the advocates of another activity. And that is: "The only thing to improve hiking is to hike" <This same sentence is repeated all the time in the other communities; all you need to do is subsitute the word Hiking for any one of the other activities.

But that is missing the point. To some degree they are correct, if you're preparing for a race, say in running, then the best thing you can do is put in the miles, run, run, run. However, I'm not saying anything about competition, so if all you do is whatever, Hike, Bike, Run, Weightlifting, Rowing... You are hurting yourself in the long run.

Keeping the body healthy in the long-run requires variety; it requires a good diet that is varied and a fitness routine that is varied.

There is no pill, no diet, no one activity to maintain a healthy body. Speaking of pills, if you like taking multivitamins you may want to reconsider http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304173704579262693876479358

redseal
12-17-2013, 20:27

Indeed! I've done P90X, P90X2, just started P90X3 today. I love the programs. I have also done TurboFire and ChaLean Extreme. But you are right...you have to stick with any program to get results.

colorado_rob
12-17-2013, 20:35
you can't really stay fit between hikes. You don't NEED to stay fit between hikes just as long as the "in between" period is short enough... so... just keep hiking!

MuddyWaters
12-17-2013, 22:47
you can't really stay fit between hikes.

You can stay fit.
Between cardio and weights, I have never had any issues adjusting to hiking.
I probably start off in better shape than many people ever achieve.

Admittedly, Im not in as good as I will get hiking 10 hrs per day though. 10hrs of cardio a day is hard to duplicate unless you have the time.

But after a couple of days, Im usually in high gear.
Carrying a sub 20 lb pack helps too, of course.

RockDoc
12-18-2013, 01:06
Running trails helps. Walk the uphills.

Running helps hiking, but hiking does not much help running, I've discovered.

Dogwood
12-18-2013, 03:54
Running trails helps. Walk the uphills.

Running helps hiking, but hiking does not much help running, I've discovered.

It may depend on what type of running one does. If one is mainly a trail runner than I think hiking certainly plays into trail running.

kayak karl
12-18-2013, 07:18
I probably start off in better shape than many people ever achieve.

WOW! You're my hero:rolleyes:

Traffic Jam
12-18-2013, 11:23
I'm about as discouraged as I've ever been with running. I'm training for my 4th half marathon and it's been miserable. The cold is bothering me like never before. After a long run, I have to stand in the shower forever before I can warm up again. I had to bail on my 10 mile run Saturday because it was 40 and pouring rain. After 5 miles, I couldn't take it anymore. Last night, it was a wonderful 50 with 10-12 mph winds and I got so cold I had to huddle under the covers before I warmed up. Lately, I dread going running and the more discouraged I get, the slower I get, and I'm already an extremely slow runner. For the first time, I'm thinking about not running long distance anymore. If I do that, I'll never meet my goal of participating in a half Ironman. I'm really down about it. Then there's the guilt factor when I think about all the people who would love to be where I am but physically can't.

Coffee
12-18-2013, 11:31
Lately, I dread going running and the more discouraged I get, the slower I get, and I'm already an extremely slow runner. For the first time, I'm thinking about not running long distance anymore. If I do that, I'll never meet my goal of participating in a half Ironman. I'm really down about it. Then there's the guilt factor when I think about all the people who would love to be where I am but physically can't.

I've found that wind chills and rain are the biggest obstacle to training in the winter. I can run comfortably down to the high 20s with my cold weather clothing assuming no wind chills and I actually enjoy running in light snow. But mid 30s with rain and wind is a miserable experience and I usually opt for the treadmill. Excessively icy conditions also keep me inside. I find that I run faster in cold weather and that helps keep me warm. All in all, I prefer marathon training in the winter to the summer months slogging through all the heat and humidity and having to start long runs at 4 am to beat the heat!

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2013, 11:37
I'm about as discouraged as I've ever been with running. I'm training for my 4th half marathon and it's been miserable. The cold is bothering me like never before. After a long run, I have to stand in the shower forever before I can warm up again. I had to bail on my 10 mile run Saturday because it was 40 and pouring rain. After 5 miles, I couldn't take it anymore. Last night, it was a wonderful 50 with 10-12 mph winds and I got so cold I had to huddle under the covers before I warmed up. Lately, I dread going running and the more discouraged I get, the slower I get, and I'm already an extremely slow runner. For the first time, I'm thinking about not running long distance anymore. If I do that, I'll never meet my goal of participating in a half Ironman. I'm really down about it. Then there's the guilt factor when I think about all the people who would love to be where I am but physically can't.I've been through periods like that and I don't have any great advice, because I do know how tough it is during those times, especially when your performance takes a u-turn.

All I can say is stick with it; I once went through a slump, like yours and I had no motivation, but then I entered a charity ride and for whatever reason that got me out of it. Although, this time of year that's probably not an option for your area. Another thing I would recommend is to do some cross training, including weightlifting, check this out http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=691

It's true that exercise helps us stay vibrant and healthy and greatly enhances our positive outlook on life, but we still go through down periods, especially when you feel pressured by upping your performance. It will pass, just don't sit it out on the couch, then you may dig yourself in a hole you'll never get out of; know that when you exercise, even at a lesser degree than normal, you are keeping your body in shape, thereby ensuring a healthy ageing body and that is the real goal.

moytoy
12-18-2013, 12:55
I'm about as discouraged as I've ever been with running. I'm training for my 4th half marathon and it's been miserable. The cold is bothering me like never before. After a long run, I have to stand in the shower forever before I can warm up again. I had to bail on my 10 mile run Saturday because it was 40 and pouring rain. After 5 miles, I couldn't take it anymore. Last night, it was a wonderful 50 with 10-12 mph winds and I got so cold I had to huddle under the covers before I warmed up. Lately, I dread going running and the more discouraged I get, the slower I get, and I'm already an extremely slow runner. For the first time, I'm thinking about not running long distance anymore. If I do that, I'll never meet my goal of participating in a half Ironman. I'm really down about it. Then there's the guilt factor when I think about all the people who would love to be where I am but physically can't.
If your getting cold running in 50 degree weather it may be time to have your doctor check your thyroid.

Nuggz
12-18-2013, 16:33
For my upcoming thru, I decided I might want to do something. It's been a month and 4 days since I started running. I haven't ran for fun since probably 16 years old.. 16 years ago. I'm doing the couch to 5k program and I couldn't run more than a minute on my first day. I was about to kill over. On my last run I around an 8 minute mile and I went 10 minutes straight. Although I felt like I could keep going, I'm sticking with the schedule. I'm very surprised with how fast you can progress if you train right.

Nuggz
12-18-2013, 16:35
I also don't see how you can be cold in 50 degrees. I run in 30 degree's and I get so hot I have to take my shirt off to cool down when I finish.

Coffee
12-18-2013, 16:41
Feeling cold could also depend on the pace of the run, or more importantly on the sequence of the pacing. If you are running relatively fast, staying warm while running is probably not an issue except for the extremities but if you slow down after running fast, it is easy to get chilled to the bone even if it is 40-50 degrees. One very memorable run a year ago was in temperatures in the high 40s, moderate wind. I was running fast for a few miles and then my knee started feeling a bit off. Being conservative, I slowed down to around 5mph and walked the final mile home. I was freezing cold by the time I got home from exerting myself and sweating at the start of the run and then cooling off while still outside. These days, I run all the way back to my building and do a cool down inside the building, usually taking the stairs up. Helps a great deal.

Spirit Walker
12-18-2013, 17:54
ITri - do you eat something as soon as you finish running? I learned when hiking that I needed to change into dry clothes and eat something immediately or I would start shivering if it was at all cold or wet. Once I start shivering, the only thing that warms me up again is warm food/drink. Can you go to a gym on the wet days? Do you have a group you can run with to motivate you on the days you don't want to go out the door? Or a running partner? On the running forums I participate in, the mileage games and daily check-in threads seem to be good ways of keeping people motivated.

Traffic Jam
12-18-2013, 18:25
Thanks for all the good advice. PF, I took your advice and mixed it up this afternoon. I taught myself how to ride my daughter's hybrid then ran a few miles. When I finished riding, I thought, "This triple feels no different than my compact," only to discover I never shifted off the big chainring (I'm such a dork). But it was fun and lifted my spirits.

The thyroid thing crossed my mind although I really think I'm ok. I run with a group and last night we did track workout so we were pretty much all together. Everyone was cold. I looked at the weather archive and winds were actually a steady 16mph and humidity was about 60%, maybe higher, and the temp dropped 5deg while we were out. In a track workout, you vary your pace (3 laps slower, 1 hard, rest, repeat)...that probably contributed to feeling cold.

Today was beautiful and sunny. It was about 48 during my run and I stayed warm, thank goodness. Biking beforehand really helped. I changed clothes as soon as I got home, ate a handful of almonds, and I'm drinking hot coffee but just started shivering and feeling really chilled.

Del Q
12-18-2013, 22:36
Right, guess where they harvested the test mice from?

AT shelters............not a fair test at all. Research

George
12-19-2013, 16:57
I do 12 oz curls between hikes to work up a gut, so I am motivated to hike it off

Pedaling Fool
12-29-2013, 14:10
One of the exercises I see as foundational, at least for me, is weightlifting; foundational becasue it keeps the entire frame (muscle/bones/joints connective tissue) worked and that's important because if you don't use it you lose it, especially as you age.

However, there seems to be some myths out there, one of which I keep hearing is that people don't want to look like bodybuilders, which I understand, because I don't either; but that physique takes a special kind of weight training and we just don't have to worry about it. This article was written on a competitive running site, but it's just as applicable to anyone, including hikers.

http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/3-myths-about-strength-training-for-runners_91711/4

Myth #1: Maintain Short Rest Between Sets

When most runners hit the gym, they feel like they need to replicate the feeling and the work they do on the roads. Typically, that means keeping the heart rate elevated. As a runner myself, I know it can feel foreign to consider a workout effective if I’m not breathing hard.

That means most runners try to take as little rest as possible between sets. It’s not uncommon to find runners resting only 30-60 seconds between exercises. Unfortunately, these brief rest periods are detrimental to strength development because of the primary energy system used and the rate of recovery.

Unlike in running, which relies on the aerobic system for energy, the major source of energy when trying to build strength is what we call adenosine triphosphate (ATP). ATP is responsible for providing the energy to produce short, powerful movements — like we need for strength training. As you can see in the chart above, ATP requires at least two to three minutes to approach full recovery.

By not fully recovering between sets when strength training, you’re not able to maximize the recruitment of your muscle fibers and the quality and effectiveness of your session plummets.

While it will feel completely foreign to you as a distance runner, it’s important that you take the necessary recovery time between each set to fully replenish your ATP system. If your goal is to build strength, you need to be taking at least a 2-minute recovery between each set.

Myth #2: Training With High Reps Builds Endurance

It’s often claimed (since distance running is endurance oriented) that the use of high reps with low weight is the best way to build endurance to running-specific muscles. The thought process is that high repetitions, just like higher mileage, will improve muscular endurance. That’s why you often see runners lifting the 5-10lb dumbbells for shoulder raises or even in the running-man motion (don’t worry if this is you, I used to do lots of this myself).
Unfortunately, high reps and low weights don’t build muscular endurance.

First, recent research has shown that performing repetitions in the 12-20 range does not increase muscular endurance any more than the 6-8 repetition range. Second, you’re already working on your muscular endurance when out on the road and when doing track workouts. The purpose of strength work is to build strength so performing routines and rep ranges that target this goal is idea.

Therefore, rather than using light weight and high repetitions, you should lift the maximum weight you can safely handle for 6-10 repetitions. The 6-10 rep range allows for maximum muscle overload and will recruit the greatest number of muscle fibers, thus leading to increased strength.

The next time you head to the gym for your strength training session, consider reducing your repetitions and adding more weight to your exercise.

You’ll maximize your strength gains much faster this way.

Myth #3: Heavy Weights Bulk You Up, Light Weights Make You Look ‘Toned’

When I first suggest to runners that they will be better served by lifting heavy weights, their initial reaction is, “I want to look like Mo Farah, not Arnold Schwarzenegger.” This fear comes from a misunderstanding of how “bulking up” actually occurs.

Muscle bulk is not determined by lifting heavy weights alone. In fact, lifting heavy weights is the least important part of the equation. Nutrition, specifically excess calories, is what contributes to bulking up when lifting heavy weights. (As a side note, it’s the same for using running as a means to lose weight. The mileage itself is not the most important factor, but rather the negative calorie balance.)

Moreover, because the amount of time you will spend running will vastly outnumber the amount of time you spend lifting heavy weights, it will be virtually impossible for you to gain unwanted or detrimental mass (unless of course you’re seriously overeating, which is not a training problem).

Don’t be afraid of looking like a body builder if you’re including heavy lifting in your running routine. It just won’t happen.

Likewise, lifting lighter weights with more repetitions won’t make your muscles look more “toned.” The common belief is that high reps magically get rid of fat. While lifting light weight at high reps to fatigue can create a muscular response, it does not necessarily remove fat better than low reps with heavy weight. The mythical “toned” look is a result of not losing muscle mass in conjunction with losing weight.

As an example, one study from the University of Alabama in Birmingham showed that dieters who lifted heavy weights lost the same amount of weight as dieters who did just cardio, but all the weight lost by the weight lifters was fat while the cardio subjects lost a lot of muscle along with some fat.

Consider how these three common myths play into your current perception and approach to strength training. Hopefully you’ve been reading enough of the current literature to have already made positive changes to your strength training routine. If not, use the information we’ve presented to dispel these myths to make the most of your time spent in the gym.

Malto
12-29-2013, 14:39
re: Myths.
Guilty, guilty and guilty. Hmmm

bamboo bob
12-29-2013, 17:10
re: Myths.
Guilty, guilty and guilty. Hmmm

Malto: I doubt you ever get out of shape. Between hikes or not. Good to see you're paying attention though.

Dogwood
12-29-2013, 17:48
The article in the WSJ is totally one sided entirely biased and misleading in favor of the heavily influenced and sponsored by the Pharmaceutical Industry Western Medical Approach to healthcare. What would you expect Western Medical trained MDs to say? They are trained to ridicule the benefits of vitamins and supplements. Western trained MD's receive precious few hrs of training regarding the potential benefits of vitamins, supplements, and proper nutrition. WHY? not because they aren't often extremely helpful in better heath but because Big Pharma see them as competition to their patented pharmaceuticals and treatments. You can ignore the depth of that situation or see it for just what it is and how it influences Western Medicine. That was a totally bigoted article in favor of Big Pharma. *PLEASE, open up your mind to more objective sources of information other than solely what Big Pharma and the heavily influenced by Big Pharma Western Medical Industry wants you to do. You'll start becoming more aware of how the medical industry operates in the U.S.

Do understand PF that main stream science journals, magazines, etc including some of the reading materials I know you regularly rely on for info are also heavily influenced by Big Pharma and the Western Medical Industry. This is also the misinformation age. And, YES, I too know I have to be aware of that at all times. :)

Pedaling Fool
12-29-2013, 18:43
The article in the WSJ is totally one sided entirely biased and misleading in favor of the heavily influenced and sponsored by the Pharmaceutical Industry Western Medical Approach to healthcare. What would you expect Western Medical trained MDs to say? They are trained to ridicule the benefits of vitamins and supplements. Western trained MD's receive precious few hrs of training regarding the potential benefits of vitamins, supplements, and proper nutrition. WHY? not because they aren't often extremely helpful in better heath but because Big Pharma see them as competition to their patented pharmaceuticals and treatments. You can ignore the depth of that situation or see it for just what it is and how it influences Western Medicine. That was a totally bigoted article in favor of Big Pharma. *PLEASE, open up your mind to more objective sources of information other than solely what Big Pharma and the heavily influenced by Big Pharma Western Medical Industry wants you to do. You'll start becoming more aware of how the medical industry operates in the U.S.

Do understand PF that main stream science journals, magazines, etc including some of the reading materials I know you regularly rely on for info are also heavily influenced by Big Pharma and the Western Medical Industry. This is also the misinformation age. And, YES, I too know I have to be aware of that at all times. :)What are you saying dogwood:confused:

I'm too tired to figure it out, just got back and still got some chores to do; the only reason I'm asking is because this seems addressed to me (see bold underline). Just break it down for me.

BTW, all the things I link I don't necessarily take every bit as gospel, there's quite a bit I have problems with, even the articles I like I can find things in there that I totally disagree with; I would think this would be true with everyone else that links stuff. I'm more of a spirit-of-the-literature kind of guy, as opposed to going by the letter of the "law"...

Traffic Jam
12-29-2013, 20:00
Has everyone kept up with their workouts during the holidays? I'm definitely lagging behind schedule but got a long run in on Thursday and just did a core workout. I've hit the food and drink hard this week and it's time to get back on track.

jimmyjam
12-29-2013, 20:19
I over ate and gained two pounds. But I did hike up Humpback Mountain and a little of the AT yesterday . Now its back to the bowflex, elliptical, treadmill and my bike.

HikerMom58
12-29-2013, 21:07
I got a fitbit zip for Christmas... :)

Traffic Jam
12-29-2013, 21:15
I over ate and gained two pounds. But I did hike up Humpback Mountain and a little of the AT yesterday . Now its back to the bowflex, elliptical, treadmill and my bike.

I'm staying off the scale for a few weeks :)

HM, I've never heard of the Fitbit so I looked it up and it looks pretty cool.

HikerMom58
12-29-2013, 21:28
I'm staying off the scale for a few weeks :)

HM, I've never heard of the Fitbit so I looked it up and it looks pretty cool.

Yup, ITri... it is pretty cool... I like it so far. I walked 10,406 steps today. Actually, I ran in the gym as a part of those "steps". today.

It's a fun way to track everyday activity. :>) You were so NICE this year.. you deserve one as well. ;)

Pedaling Fool
01-02-2014, 12:43
Here's a silly little article if you need a schedule for the new year. They have "funny" pictorials for each month, but November's seems kind of gross; I'm sure they didn't mean for it to look that way, but you gotta wonder if any real editing went into this :D

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/12-months-to-a-fitter-you/2013/12/31/2d74abf8-7244-11e3-8def-a33011492df2_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most

I don't see it really inspiring anyone, besides real inspiration comes from within, but the schedule is at least a start...

Another reason to lift weights. As you age you become more and more susceptible to torn rotator cuffs, which can be caused by falling on the shoulder or "breaking your fall" using your arms.

No matter how much you hike, you never get good enough at it to not fall.

Kind of a sad thought isn't it; you can never prevent falling :sun

Traffic Jam
01-02-2014, 15:25
Here's a silly little article if you need a schedule for the new year. They have "funny" pictorials for each month, but November's seems kind of gross; I'm sure they didn't mean for it to look that way, but you gotta wonder if any real editing went into this :D

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/12-months-to-a-fitter-you/2013/12/31/2d74abf8-7244-11e3-8def-a33011492df2_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most

I don't see it really inspiring anyone, besides real inspiration comes from within, but the schedule is at least a start...

Another reason to lift weights. As you age you become more and more susceptible to torn rotator cuffs, which can be caused by falling on the shoulder or "breaking your fall" using your arms.

No matter how much you hike, you never get good enough at it to not fall.

Kind of a sad thought isn't it; you can never prevent falling :sun

Thanks for keeping us motivated to keep exercising! I fall a lot and injury is my biggest fear (next to being alone in the dark in the woods). So...core workout is on the schedule again tonight and maybe strength training tomorrow and 12 mile run Saturday. For the record, I HATE lifting weights. It's the most boring exercise I can think of. But I recognize the importance and need to get on a better schedule.

Pedaling Fool
01-03-2014, 10:36
For the record, I HATE lifting weights. It's the most boring exercise I can think of. But I recognize the importance and need to get on a better schedule.That's alright, at least you understand the importance. I've always liked weightlifting, but maybe it's just a testosterone thing...you know because I get the grunt and stuff ;)

However, I can relate to you with respect to my running; I always HATED running, but I knew this was a key exercise for life-long health. And for that reason it took a long time to get in the habit, but luckily now I can say it's beyond a habit and truly is part of me. I guess the key is not so much Will Power, but finding that reason to do it and focus on that, but you can't discount Will Power totally, even today I have to use a little Will Power to get out there, but the difference is that once I get out there I soon forget how crappy it is and get in to a "flow".

Here's some good reading on forming habits and one link references a book you may want to check out

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2014/01/02/how-long-it-takes-to-form-a-new-habit/

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/09/25/william-james-on-habit/

Odd Man Out
01-03-2014, 11:54
I successfully lost over 20 lbs a few years ago but have since then gradually gained it back. I figure if I can lose 20 lbs before summer hiking season, I will have a pack weight of zero if I include fat in my base weight ;-) What worked for me last time was this:

1. Weigh yourself every morning, graph your progress, and post it on the refrigerator (see results below).
2. Three meals a day with no snacking, especially after dinner (it's those evening calories that really do me in).
3. 1/2 hr of brisk walking on the treadmill every night.

Pedaling Fool
02-11-2014, 10:54
I've said before, one of my most important lessons I learned from my hike is just how efficient the body can become at burning/using calories. Aside from developing an awesome cardio base I think a thru-hike is a special endeavor, because more than any other activity it trains our bodies to operate very efficiently, because we must ration our calories. I also believe it's something we should incorporate in our daily lives and our in-between-hike workouts. Forget all the talk of how many calories we need to do X-activty; improving upon what the body accomplished on the trail is crucial, IMHO:) I'd never want to eat 2+ lbs of food per day on a hike; doing so is a waste of an opportunity to create a fat-burning super machine.

This is an interesting article on how to improve the body's efficiency at storing glycogen and burning fat. http://triathlon.competitor.com/2012/06/nutrition/inside-triathlon-magazine-fat-burning-machine_31034

Excerpts:

"Torbjorn Sindballe dishes on how he turned his body into a fat-burning machine.

When Torbjørn Sindballe was a professional triathlete, he used the most cutting edge science to make himself the best triathlete he could be. His efforts helped him break the bike course record at the Ironman World Championship, as well as place third there in 2007.

The following is Sindballe’s personal account of how he attempted to make his body into a fat-burning machine, thereby giving his body the most efficient and limitless fuel available to him. It was originally seen in the Nov/Dec 2010 issue of Inside Triathlon magazine.

A good friend of mine once finished a six-hour ride in the mountains on nothing but pure water. No gels, no energy drinks—just water. And he was not out on a Sunday ride—he was hammering, riding hard on the ascents and flying down the descents. Can you do that? Or are you already thinking of how many gels and bars you would need to drag along for the ride?"

>
>
>
>
>

"When we are very fit, our glycogen stores can fuel a six-hour hard ride in the mountains, similar to the one my friend took. But after the ride, the glycogen tank is almost empty. In comparison, even a rail thin triathlete stores enough fat to fuel five Ironmans in a row.

Fat is an almost unlimited resource, but it comes with two problems: The human brain is a sugar lover, and the rate at which fat is burned for fuel is too slow to support a hard, fast Ironman effort. In other words, your body fuels itself with a combination of glycogen and fat (and a little protein), with fat being the source of fuel that lasts but which cannot be tapped quickly enough to keep you moving fast.

The problem of your brain loving sugar can be solved by taking in enough carbohydrates during exercise. And the fat burning problem can be abated by teaching your body to use fat at a faster rate—thus staving off the depletion of the glycogen tank and allowing you to go faster longer. (Once the glycogen is gone, your body can only tap into its fat for fuel, thus forcing you to slow down or bonk.)

The easiest way to improve your ability to oxidize fat—turn fat into energy—is to train for long hours on the trails or in the saddle at a relatively slow pace. Generally, you don’t want to go much faster than your Ironman pace if you’re trying to stimulate your fat oxidation capabilities. While most athletes are well aware of this, there are several diet and training tricks out there that claim to increase the quality of the training stimulus these rides and runs provide. I have researched and tried most of these tricks myself while I was an Ironman pro and now have an understanding of what does and doesn’t work."