PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Cornbread on a Wood Burner - Oh Yea . . .

QiWiz
06-17-2012, 20:24
The video shows a system that can probably work on most woodburning stoves: a heat shield, a spacer, a baking pan, and a foil hood. Something like this should work on multiple types of stoves, as long as there is some way of putting it on top of the stove without blocking your ability to add fuel.

For all you alcohol stove users, I have done no testing of this system using an alcohol stove, but I see no reason why it could not work, though it would take about 3 ounces of alcohol to burn at high heat for the 18 minute bake time you would need.

Disclaimer: I used a FireFly in the video, because it's my favorite primary wood burner and I just happened to have one on hand :D. If you are wondering where I got the titanium foil for the heat shield, I got it from Titanium Goat.

I consider cornbread :banana to be the acid test of backcountry baking on a backpacking stove, because it takes longer to bake than most biscuits or muffins.

http://youtu.be/6AmlkelDlGU

1azarus
06-18-2012, 22:42
Very impressive!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

WIAPilot
06-18-2012, 23:36
That video is so awesome. That cornbread looked scrumptious!!

rocketsocks
06-19-2012, 04:59
I could see baking a few of those on a rainy Nero day,nice job!

verasch
06-19-2012, 07:29
Has anybody tried the bakepacker? It looks pretty cool, but I am finding it hard to find a pot that will fit it for backpacking purposes. There's a neat idea of making your own on the fbc site.

I make a lot of bread, so I'm interested in seeing if this is a practical idea or just some idiotic luxury item I'll get sick of using eventually.