PDA

View Full Version : Which side to go up on to MT Washington

jelloitsalive
06-17-2012, 22:16
Next June or July me and my buddys are gona make a hiking trip up MT Washington we will be taking the COG Railroad back down. What do you recomend for a one way hike S-N along MT Webster, MT Jackson, MT Pierce, MT Eisnhower, MT Franklin? Or N-S along MT Madison, MT Adams, Mt Jefferson, MT Clay?and how long ruffly to hike up? Any suggestions or input would greatly be appreciated........ OHH also is MT Washington ever closed in June or July. Thanxs

peakbagger
06-18-2012, 07:04
Be a bit more specific. A hike implies a one day trip. Mt Washington is not "closed" but the weather can be dangerous at any time making it very inadvisable to attempt going up. The mountain has a long stretch of above treeline and it atracts bad weather. If you do decide to go up on a bad day and need a rescue, you may be charged if the NH Fish and Game division decides you were reckless for goin up in bad weather. It has snowed on the summit every month of the year. As for gear and planning check out this site http://hikesafe.com/

If you are going for a dayhike and taking the Cog down, you need to be conservative so you are there to catch the last train down in the afternoon. If you miss it, the auto road has offered a late hiker shuttle in the past for a significant surcharge.

Unless you are in shape and used to climbing in the whites, most of the options you mentioned would not be recomended for day hikers and would require and overnight. Althouhg PA rocks are nasty, they are in no way a subsitute for what you find for trail conditions in the whites, the only thing close is the rocky stretch up out of Palmerton Gap in PA (the section of trail that got nailed by the zinc smelters)

One hike that is doable is Mt Jefferson via Caps Ridge Trail then south on Gulfside, over Clay and up Mt Washington. Figure 8 hours. You do need to do a car spot or you will end up having to take the Boundary line trail off the Cog Road and then walk back up Jefferson Notch Road after you have taken the Cog Down. Alternatively Eisenhower up Edmonds path then Crawfords path to the summit would be a resonable day. That to requires a car spot or a long road walk. One that doesnt require a spot is go up Jewell trail then go North to Jefferson and then double back via Clay and then on to the summit. If the trail conditions are more rugged than expected you can always skip Jefferson and head directly up Washington.

jelloitsalive
06-18-2012, 09:04
We are still in the early planing process. A 2 day trek would prob be my max time frame to Reach the summit and the valley. Due to little cacation from the company I work for. Plus its a 10 hour drive there, hogging up 2 days in driving time I have never hiked up anything like Mt. Washington. But I am in great shape, and go hiking every chance I get free time. I would prefer to stick to the A.T that way we Knock out 2 birds with one stone. We may have to find parking some where and take a cab to the White Mountains. Anyways thanks for the input. We will deff have to check out Palmerton Gap, PA before we go. I cant wait till next year "Bill Brysons book A walk in the woods" makes it sound bad ass.

Mountain Mike
06-18-2012, 09:11
I'd suggest staying at hostel in Crawford Notch. Hike up to Lake of Clouds Hut. Continue out the next day via north end. Check out the AMC website for their shuttle bus info & Hut & Hostel rates & reservations.

DavidNH
06-18-2012, 09:24
it's a good option to stay at the highland center at Crawford Notch, at least for night before. The adjacent Shapeigh Bunkhouse is a bit cheaper but not as cheap as the hostel that used to be there. Anyway, From here you could hike up Webster Jackson Trail to summit of Mt Jackson, then follow the AT/Crawford path to summit of Mount Washington. if you were pressed for time.. you could simply hike up the Ammanoosic Raving trail from the Cog Base Station to lake of clouds hut, then on to Mt Washington and return via Jewell Trail. Life would be a lot easier on you if you can figure in a night at Lakes of clouds hut. It's expensive (90$ + per night) but that way you avoid having to hike 8-12 hours in a single day. The price at the hut includes what's effectively an all you can eat dinner and breakfast. if you can car spot you could avoid having to hike out and back, thus making trip more interesting. I know the white mountains VERY well so feel free to pm me for more details about possibilities.

Given your limited time frame.. forget about going to Mount Washington via northern presis. Also.. the mountain is never closed to hiking. However, there is no shelter on mountain during winter (November through May). Bring warm clothes. It may be Mid July or August but you can still get windchills in the teens on the summit.

If you stay at a hut, or even at highland center.. you will need reservations. Reserve WELL in advance to stay at huts. huts are ALWAYS full late June thru August.

DavidNH

mudhead
06-18-2012, 09:39
Jefferson is cooler than Jewell. The dirt road from the cog to parking lot for Jefferson is hitchable, but might be a long walk. 4-6+ miles? Peakbagger would know. There is also a property line/trail shortcut from Jewell back, but the name escapes me.:)

Driver8
06-18-2012, 19:23
Next June or July me and my buddys are gona make a hiking trip up MT Washington we will be taking the COG Railroad back down. What do you recomend for a one way hike S-N along MT Webster, MT Jackson, MT Pierce, MT Eisnhower, MT Franklin? Or N-S along MT Madison, MT Adams, Mt Jefferson, MT Clay?and how long ruffly to hike up? Any suggestions or input would greatly be appreciated........ OHH also is MT Washington ever closed in June or July. Thanxs

Sounds like you're pretty strong. It would be a good idea to car spot to allow for maximum coverage. A common way up is the Crawford Path. You can park a car there and another at your other end point. Any time you descend from the ridgeline, just know it will be rough, so take it slow and allow time - buy and read the White Mountain Guide, referring to the maps, thoroughly.

So, Day 1, Crawford Path to Lakes of the Clouds hut, going over the summits if you like, knowing that that adds significant elevation gain and loss. Day 2, Lakes Hut to Jefferson or, if time and stamina permit, on to Adams and Madison. I gather it's not the best idea to descend via the Caps Ridge Trail - read the descriptions and get down via a way which is safe and works for you, maybe the Valley Way or Airline from Adams, which leaves you parking Car 2 on Rt. 2 at Appalachia trailhead.

hikerboy57
06-18-2012, 19:30
you could stay at pinkham notch, go up tucks ravine trail , its scenic, beautiful, you'll pass a waterfall on the way up, its challenging without anything to scary, and you can simply grab a cup of coffee at the top, ride the cog down, get a shuttle back to pinkham.if you do plan on staying at any of the huts, rates and availability can be found at www.outdoors.org (http://www.outdoors.org). if you wanted to traverse the presis, like they said above, best is crawford to lakes, then to madison, then down to pinkham.

Driver8
06-18-2012, 22:09
you could stay at pinkham notch, go up tucks ravine trail , its scenic, beautiful, you'll pass a waterfall on the way up, its challenging without anything to scary, and you can simply grab a cup of coffee at the top, ride the cog down, get a shuttle back to pinkham.if you do plan on staying at any of the huts, rates and availability can be found at www.outdoors.org (http://www.outdoors.org). if you wanted to traverse the presis, like they said above, best is crawford to lakes, then to madison, then down to pinkham.

If you really want to take the Cog, you can, but you can also just catch a shuttle van back to Pinkham if you like, which will cost less than Cog + Shuttle from Base Station to Pinkham and take a lot less time. $50, last I heard, but quicker and cheaper than going west to go east.