PDA

View Full Version : Thinking SOBO... But Need Encouragement! (Or Better Ideas)

noselicious42
06-18-2012, 07:37
I'm graduating from college on May 21st. I go to school in NYC and live in Georgia, so SOBO makes sense. I would really love to go NOBO for romantic reasons, but it seems like SOBO might be a better option. If I did SOBO I would start on the earliest possible date. I keep seeing negative things about SOBO. On the ATC's website:A typical southbounder, starting in June or July and finishing in December, can expect:A small number of other southbound thru-hikers for companionshipStarting with Katahdin, the most difficult climb on the entire A.T., and the two most challenging states of the entire Trail—Maine and New HampshireSwarms of black flies in Maine in JuneMuddy trail and difficult stream crossings in Maine in JuneFour weeks of hot, humid weather in the mid-Atlantic statesFall colors in VirginiaHiking through hunting season from late October onwardCold weather during last month or two of hike, snow likelyFewer people is OK, but the flies, the difficulty, the mud, and the hot weather sound depressing. Does anyone have any uplifting things to say about SOBO, or, if not, ideas of how I could do NOBO?

Danl
06-18-2012, 08:02
Well if it wasn't for nostalgia you could take a long weekend and summit Katahdin, then when you left college you could start from atol bridge whenever. As far as the two worst states to start, get busy and train.

Nutbrown
06-18-2012, 08:06
You can do a flip flop. Start half way, go NOBO, when you get to Katahdin, get back to the middle and go SOBO.

moldy
06-18-2012, 09:25
Most of what you say about a North or South Bound thru-hike ranges from a weather dependent oversimplification to just plain wrong. The big 5 trail misery's of heat, cold, rain, bugs, and exhaustion are about the same in both directions. The worst climb or worst state? Opinions vary widely for thru-hikers. Starting in Georgia in April or Maine in June is about the same. Some of it is a "pay me now or pay me later" deal. Plenty of North bounders after a long hot dry Summer have arrived in New England to encounter hurricane after hurricane or an early Winter.

4shot
06-18-2012, 09:30
You can do a flip flop. Start half way, go NOBO, when you get to Katahdin, get back to the middle and go SOBO.

Lots of merit to this idea. Start in NY and get some trail legs before you hit uper NH/southern Maine. Best of both worlds: you will get the toughest part of the hike done after some conditioning but not hitting them either at the very start or at the end of a NOBO when you are starting to mentally and physically wear out.You can tweak the start date for optimal weather thru Maine and NH. on your SOBO portion weather should not be an issue assuming you travel at a reasonable pace although water can be difficult to find in some places if summer has been dry and hot. Either way - NOBO, SOBO or flipping - you will enjoy yourself. If you do start "in the middle", don't try to keep up with the thru-hikers you might meet. I saw several people who started at HF push themselves too hard because they heard people talking about big mile days and expected to do the same. It's unrealistic (for most people) to expect to hike at the same pace with hikers who have already put in 1,000+ miles when you meet

Gwals003
06-18-2012, 09:33
I just graduated from school also. I'm working through the summer and winter to build up cash and health then heading out NOBO in feb. 2013. If you want to do it in one go, that's an idea. Plus, you won't have to worry about money or getting gear quickly. ...just an idea.

noselicious42
06-18-2012, 10:57

Thanks for the good ideas! I'm really thinking SOBO at the moment, though. Trying to make a guess at how long it will take me...

Miner
06-18-2012, 22:09
Thanks for the good ideas! I'm really thinking SOBO at the moment, though. Trying to make a guess at how long it will take me...
How long it will take depends on the person. I know 50 something year old men who did the trail in 4.5 months. I planning on 4 to 4.5 months for my SOBO hike starting soon. It depends on how heavy your gear is (heavier gear will tire you out and cause you to hike slower), how much time you spend in town, and how tied you are to hiking from shelter to shelter even if you feel like you have several more miles in your body for the day despite there not being a shelter where you will stop (camp in your tent).

Andrew King
06-19-2012, 00:45
when you starting your thru.. Miner? I'm starting in Late July... hopefully make it thru the smokies before crazy snow...

Papa D
06-19-2012, 07:26
Stop listening to all of the negativity about going SOBO - - I started in June and finished in 5 months - - the southbound crowd is a small but proud clan. By June, the blackflies will not be that bad and everybody hits some hot weather whether you go north or south - - the Fall in VA and NC will be beautiful for you and if you keep up with it at a steady clip, you'll miss the heavy cold and snow for the most part in the GSMNP and south to GA. HYOH!