PDA

View Full Version : Is there a list somewhere of the National Geographic maps

heavyfoot
06-18-2012, 09:37
that cover the Colorado Trail? NatGeo's customer service had no idea. :rolleyes: Here are all of their Colorado maps:

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/category/maps/travel-and-hiking-maps/trails-illustrated-hiking-and-recreation-maps/colorado?categoryLevelId=A106#&9004:A117&1&A117&true&totPage=60

I've been trying to compile a list. It looks to me like the following:

Is that correct?

bearcreek
06-18-2012, 09:49
Your list is not correct. They are all listed in the guidebook. At $12 apiece, that is a very expensive set of maps.

RodentWhisperer
06-18-2012, 09:50
You'll probably hear this from many others, but IMO, the Trails Illustrated maps are a little too expensive-- especially if you want to purchase a complete set. The CT Foundation's Mapbook makes more sense, to me anyway:

http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Colorado-Trail-Map-Book-MAPBOOK.htm

If you're worried about the weight, do the old-school thing: dispose of the pages with maps of areas you've passed through. Do so in an environmentally conscious way, of course.

kgottshalk
06-18-2012, 10:33
Pmags article lists the maps, I mailed them ahead as needed. I also bought the Bearcreek book, but did not like the very narrow corridor it covered and did not take it. IF I were doing it again I would take Eric the Black's map book and the CT databook. I bought a copy of Eric's book and like it very much. http://coloradotrailmap.com/

bearcreek
06-18-2012, 12:40
The US Forest Service did not build, and does not maintain The Colorado Trail. It was built by volunteers, and is maintained by volunteers via The Colorado Trail Foundation, a non-profit organization.

All proceeds from The Colorado Trail Mapbook go to support the Colorado Trail Foundation.

litespeed
06-18-2012, 14:05
I used the CT Mapbook with databook when I thru-hiked the trail in 2009. I have Eric The Black's book. I can't see how anyone could even compare them. The CT Mapbook is real maps that you can lay down flat and use with a compass or gps. Eric The Black's maps are much smaller scale, have a binding that prevents you from laying them down flat, and lack a lot of detail. (Sort of a glorified Databook format.)

FWIW, the CT is not very hard to follow and you could probably do most of it without any maps. But if you are going to carry maps, I would suggest getting truly functional ones.

Cookerhiker
06-18-2012, 15:40
I used the CT Mapbook with databook when I thru-hiked the trail in 2009....FWIW, the CT is not very hard to follow and you could probably do most of it without any maps. But if you are going to carry maps, I would suggest getting truly functional ones.

+1 on this from last year's thruhike. And the trail is easy to follow - we only took 2 wrong turns and it was our fault.

One mistake in the guidebook as you cross the highway that leads to Breckenridge if you're going into town: the book says the bus stop is to the right but it's really to the left. You'll see it.

wandering_bob
06-18-2012, 23:44
Trails Illustrated Maps Needed For:

in order going south

CT
CDT in CO

Shared
CT only
CDT only

buy these

Wuff
07-02-2013, 14:47
This is the best thread I could find on this topic. It sounds like some people are advocating the Map Book from the CT store, others think Eric The Blacks book is adequate. Any other thoughts? I need to get on the ball and actually purchase maps. I'm really hoping people think Eric The Blacks or Postholers Pocket Maps are sufficient...

Mags
07-02-2013, 15:19
The Bear Creek Maps are excellent. If you wish to do alternate routes, the CTF has maps for sale at their store (http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Guides_c4.htm) that covers most of the popular alt routes. You may need additional maps if you wish to hike some of the 14ers, high routes in the Lost Creek Wilderness and so on.

THE alternate route now for the CT is the Collegiate West option and Bear Creek/ CTF sells a nice little map book that covers this alt route. My doc does list maps needed for popular alt routes (http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2#Alt.%20Routes%20and%2014ers%20for%20The%20Colora do%20Trail).

I used TI maps as I already has most of them in my collection anyway and I like taking alt routes. :)

Otherwise, it is indeed $$$ esp if you are not hiking extensively in Colorado outside of the CT and/or doing the original CT corridor.

Dogwood
07-02-2013, 15:37
Mag's CT Guide lists all the NG TI maps that seamlessly cover the CT in its entirety. The Nat Geo TI maps are heavy(whatever that means, I guess compared to a piece of 8.5X11 typing paper?) but they are WP and there's only need to carry about upto 3 at a time for the CT. I took them(at most 3 at a time) and the CT Databook(small, pocket sized) and a few cut out pages from The HEAVY CT Guidebook at a time. I really didn't need the glossy cut out guidebook pages although they are GOOD for a trail description and make for interesting reads. Like Mags says I also had most of the NT TI maps from other hikes in CO that I did so I only had to buy 3 more to cover the entire CT. The trail is well marked but since I hiked in Oct 2012 I knew I might get snowed on so felt I needed to have the "bigger picture" for escape and alternate routes plus I bagged a few 14ers along the way and all my NG TI maps included all these things. Besides you can always sell the CT NG TI mapset when you're done with them or use them for the CDT. On that CT thru-hike I used the fully opened NG TI maps as additional insulation from the ground a alternate ground cloth as I Tarped/bivied the whole way. They work well for that. ETB's Guides are written from a minimalist bare bones perspective IMO. If that's how you hike than his stuff works well if you'r a gram weenie and can figure out things along the way. IMHO, Mag's CT info is really top notch without getting too over the top in beta but still gives options about what info is available so you can work your logistics to fit how you hike. Mags updates his CT info regularly too.

litespeed
07-02-2013, 16:53
If you are concerned about navigation and getting lost, then the Bear Creek maps available in the CT store are the best choice. The CT is generally easy to follow so it's debatable as to whether you really need that much detail, but if you decide to carry maps they are the best. The TI maps are great for figuring out how to do some 14'ers, alternates, and identifying distant features. Purchasing all of the ones needed for the CT is very expensive. TI Maps 108, 110,127, 129, and 140 have been revised and re-published recently so if you get some make sure you get the new ones.

If I were to hike the CT again, I'd probably only carry the new Databook and a small GPS loaded with the waypoints which you can get online. Maybe a couple of TI maps for doing some peaks. Certainly wouldn't get ETB, who has no affiliation with the CT and as far as I can tell, has contributed nothing. I like the idea of supporting the organization that's actually doing the work.

Wuff
07-02-2013, 17:44
Will definitely be using Mag's CT info - his site has been my main resource for planning (cheers, Mags). I've got the CTF data book as well. Maybe I'll stop being a "gram weenie" and get the map book. I can always take out sections I know are well marked. Although, I'm not planning on any alternates beside the Collegiate West (which I'll get a map for) so perhaps I could get by with just the data book and GPS waypoints in my phone if needed. Hm, so to sum up I still don't know what I'll end up doing. Ha.

Litespeed makes a good point about the ETB not being affiliated with CT, hadn't really thought about that.

Dogwood
07-03-2013, 16:40
Well, if hiked the CT during low risk snow periods like during summer, after having hiked it and the CDT I would just carry the CT VERY SMALL Databook but I would already be doubly familiar w/ the trail so you always have to take that into account.

HeartFire
07-04-2013, 07:29
What about the current alternate route due to fires - The last I read is that sections 22-23 may be closed for months - what maps if any do I need for the re-route?

On Track
07-04-2013, 09:28
I have not studied which NG/TI Maps would cover the fire walk around. But on the CTF website right sidebar they posted some route details with a google map.

http://coloradotrail.org

bearcreek
07-04-2013, 10:57
TI maps 139 (La Garita, Cochetopa Hills), and 141 (Telluride, Silverton, Ouray, Lake City) cover most, but not all of it. Before the construction of the Cataract Ridge section, bicycles were routed over Cinnamon Pass on this exact route. I dug into my data and found the old Mapbook Maps from 2008 that show the entire detour. I have placed the maps plus waypoint data (gpx format) on my website. They are meant to be printed on 8.5 X 11 sheets.

http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Map_Updates/La_Garita_Detour.zip

On Track
07-04-2013, 12:46
Wow, excellent maps of the fire walk around, bearcreek, well done.

bearcreek
07-04-2013, 14:06
NEW FIRE INFO

The Forest Service has revised it's closure area. The trail is now open as far as Spring Creek Pass, so the La Garita Wilderness is now back in play. Also, part of Segment 23 and all of segment 24 are now open. Segments 22 and part of 23 are still in the closure area.

As it stands now, hikers can go to Spring Creek Pass, head down Hwy 149 15.3 miles to Cinnamon Pass Road, then follow the road 12.2 miles to the Sherman Townsite. This is at Waypoint TT193 in the map package I posted earlier. Go left there and follow the road, which becomes the Cottonwood Creek Trail for 1.3 miles to the Cataract Lake Trail. Follow that trail 5.6 miles up to the CT on Cataract Ridge. You will hit the trail at mile 5.5 of Segment 23.

The updated USFS closure map is here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5426768.pdf

Here is a map I threw together to show this detour. Follow the blue line.

http://www.bearcreeksurvey.com/Map_Updates/CT_Detour.zip

HeartFire
07-04-2013, 20:39
Thank you so much for the maps and info - hopefully by the time I get there it may all abe open?

Dogwood
07-05-2013, 13:29
BC, nice info. THX.