PDA

View Full Version : New on the trail

DaveJonesRocks27
06-18-2012, 12:11
looking for tips tricks for the trail my first time im going to hike some of it coming soon i would like to know what is good website to collect information off of i know about camping i know about the outdoors just the At is new to me ill be hiking with a few people i would like to even hear storys:-?

DaveJonesRocks27
06-18-2012, 12:24
i have a few supplies and order a few more but my thing is food wise i want easy thing to make maybe the military bag food that the name escapes me as i type.but i know trail mix dried fruit and granola bars are easy things to carry along but everything will be double bagged(not for fresh ness but to keep the bears away)any one ever take ramen noodles on there trip? there easy light weight and only need to have water to boil it to work but i have light weight pans for that.

Spokes
06-18-2012, 12:32
Here's two articles to start you off. I referred to them before my thru hike. Ignore any pop-ups.

10 page article about hiking the AT. It provides a great overview of what you can expect in the major sections plus offers some trail etiquette.
http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/12530

Here's a tried and true gear list. Fleece beanie and gives are givens. Add a trash compactor bag for a liner. Don't waste your money on a bunch of useless gear. Think in ounces. When you hit the trail you'll understand why....
http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

BTW, MRE's (Meals Ready To Eat) are not preferred when thru hiking since they weigh too much (You're hiking not going into combat). Resupply at grocery stores along the way.

DaveJonesRocks27
06-19-2012, 09:48
well the idea of mre's is were only going to be out there for 3 days max just to get a idea what where up against i have no intention of grilling any kind of meat over a fire i do not want to attract bears and such that's why i figures mre didnt give off such a strong sent.i just plan to hike 100 miles up and down enjoy the view and come back for the full hike next year

flemdawg1
06-19-2012, 10:09
Food is pretty simple, think in terms of things that just need boiling water such as, Knorr noodle sides, ramen (yes its very common), mac n cheese (might want to take some dry milk and olive oil (in place of the usual butter)), rice & bean sides, etc. Add a pack/can of chicken or tuna, and you have yourself a meal. As far as bears, double ziplock bagging is useless. Learn how to hang a bear bag properly. Most shelters have some sort of bear cables or boxes if bears are typically in the area. But for the most part bears are not a big deal and only in a few very specific locations (Blood Mtn, Smokies, Shenadoah, Max Patch, are some off the top of my head) .

DaveJonesRocks27
06-19-2012, 10:29
well yeah i know about that some people dig holes and put them in things to keep from bears i mean as far as hiking and coming across them i will stamping threw loud and letting know im coming. i need to find a book on wild life and plants on the area see what not to touch or eat i don't want to end up like chris mcandless(RIP)