PDA

View Full Version : 5 Day Georgia Section Hike - Seeking Advice

Scout620
06-18-2012, 14:22
Background: I am an experienced hiker/camper (from a younger past life). All of my previous camping experience was in Colorado, Wyoming and Alaska. Traded camping for offshore fishing 25 yrs ago when I moved from Colo. to Florida. I've been camping in North Florida this past year and am ready to expand my horizons. Planning 2 warm up AT section hikes July/Oct and then attempt a thru hike spring of 2013. July hike plan is 5 day hike starting at Amicalola Falls to Unicoi Gap. I have the entire week off.
Initial plan is to park at Unicoi Gap and take a shuttle to A F. Start Hiking early next morning. Looking for advice on shuttle service and initial plan for time/distance. + - day is ok. Also looking for advice on nice areas to tent. I prefer to tent vs shelter as much as possible. What would your agenda be if you if you had 5 -6 days from Springer?
What is set-up for tent camping at AF during first week in July?

BFI
06-18-2012, 15:11
Maybe rethink the Amicalola Falls stairs. I met a lot of hikers this year who did the stairs and wished they hadn’t. The majority of the ones who did the stairs stayed at Springer Mt. Shelter area the first night, plus they had sore calf muscles for several days after. The areas you will camp at will be determined by having water nearby. Hawk Mt shelter for night one has lots of camping space, Justus Creek is a good camp site, mile 12.9, for the second night. Jarrard Gap for the third night but you will have to determine what the Bear situation is and if you are going to be required to carry a Bear Proof Container. Baggs Creek Gap possible for the forth night. Note that Whitley Gap Shelter is 1.5 miles off the trail and is a climb down then a climb back up for a total of 3 miles. The fifth night could be Blue Mt shelter, then a short climb down to Unicoi Gap in the morning.
As for Shuttles, call the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, google it, and they should be able to help you out.
All the shelters has great tenting areas, and I think your main concern will be reliable sources of water.
Enjoy your hike.

Veetack
06-18-2012, 15:21
Maybe rethink the Amicalola Falls stairs.

My thoughts exactly. Get dropped at FS42. If there are no white blazes on it, it doesn't exist IMHO. Springer to Unicoi is a pretty good plan, I made it in 4 days, there's no reason you can't do it in 5.

Scout620
06-18-2012, 16:02
Thanks so much! I can stay home and do the Stairmaster at the Y for a calf workout!
Don't own a bear canister just use Lock Sac and bear bag. Should I bring one? Would hate to have to buy one on the fly from an outfitter $$. Actually, why I prefer to tent away from shelters. Bears always know where to find the grocery store.

Veetack
06-18-2012, 17:53
Thanks so much! I can stay home and do the Stairmaster at the Y for a calf workout!
Don't own a bear canister just use Lock Sac and bear bag. Should I bring one? Would hate to have to buy one on the fly from an outfitter $$. Actually, why I prefer to tent away from shelters. Bears always know where to find the grocery store.
The Canister rule was only for the 5 miles from Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap and was lifted June 1. Even without the ban, it's really easy to hike through this section, the only "tough" part is blood mountain, and if you're even remotely in shape, it's a breeze.

Scout620
06-18-2012, 19:24
Thanks Guys!