PDA

View Full Version : two week section hike from erwin tn to adkins va

vic_doom69
06-18-2012, 15:11
hello i am planning a two week section hike and had a few questions. i would like to do a mail drop at kincora hostel. does anyone know if it stays open year-round? i would also like to end my hike and spend the night at the happy hiker hollow hostel as i enjoyed my stay there on my 2010 thru. anyone know if it is back open yet and is it open this time of year?

moldy
06-18-2012, 16:19
Kincora is open all year. The happy hiker is gone.

Skid.
06-18-2012, 19:34
Mountain Harbour hostel is at Rte 19E before Kincora, and is worth a stop.

TrekkerJeff
06-18-2012, 20:21
You can't go wrong with Mountain Harbour. It's only about a 10 minute walk off the trail and be sure to do the breakfast in the morning.
Mary made a breakfast we will never forget! Well worth the $.

Papa D
06-18-2012, 20:45
FYI, it;s ATKINS not Adkins :cool:

Lone Wolf
06-18-2012, 20:55
FYI, it;s ATKINS not Adkins :cool:

it's actually Groseclose not Atkins

stranger
06-18-2012, 20:58
it's actually Groseclose not Atkins

Correct...Atkins is a few miles down the road :)

stranger
06-18-2012, 21:08
I would also recommend Mountain Harbour, they drove us to dinner at some greasy spoon (excellent and cheap) and also to get some groceries from a relatively poorly stocked shop, the hostel is excellent and you can tent or even spend the $ and do the B&B thing, the breakfast is very good and plenty of it. I have been through the south twice and never went to Kincora, no reason...there may be another option in Dennis Cove as well.

I believe both Kincora and Mountain Harbour accept maildrops

vic_doom69
06-19-2012, 02:30

the happy hiker is gone! well, that sucks. i stayed there in 2010 on my thru. since the happy hiker is out i may shorten my trip to marion and get off at partnership. anyone know is marion taxis will pick up at the visitors center?

Mountain Harbour hostel is at Rte 19E before Kincora, and is worth a stop.

i stayed at moutain harbour in 2010 and it is an awesome place. ive been back twice since but only to part and to get shuttles to carvers gap. i really love that section. would be great to stay there but i plan on staying at overmountain so thats <10 miles and im looking at 15ish mile days. may give hitching to subway a go for lunch but if i dont get a quick ride then just move on. i dont plan on staying at kincora but would be a great place for a maildrop on my trip. be roughly halfway between erwin and damascas.

flemdawg1
06-19-2012, 10:38

Happy Hiker Hollow Hostel in Groseclose, VA ((276) 783-3754) is still very much open. (section hiked that area last month). (Maybe you're thinking of the Happy Hiker outfitter in Gatlinburg?)

flemdawg1
06-19-2012, 10:45
oops, just called them, still closed (Rambunny is in Kidney Failure so send up some prayers please). Must've been some other hotel or something shuttling folks around Marion.