PDA

View Full Version : Cho Pat and ITB Bands ?

Loneoak
06-18-2012, 16:59
For those of you who have pain on the outside of your knee, I'm thinking ITB, have you tried Cho Pat products and if so did they help. I know I need to strengthen muscles and get back into stretches but will one of the Cho Pat products really help, while hiking and if so, which one, I have researched them and they have more than one.

thanks

Namaste
06-18-2012, 18:18
I just got back from a weeklong hike and wore my new Cho Pat dual band supports for the first time. They helped me enjoy hiking all day without taking one dose of pain medication ever. I will never hike without them. I never went to a doctor so I don't have any particular diagnosis just pain in the knees from many ski accidents years ago.

Loneoak
06-18-2012, 18:24
I just got back from a weeklong hike and wore my new Cho Pat dual band supports for the first time. They helped me enjoy hiking all day without taking one dose of pain medication ever. I will never hike without them. I never went to a doctor so I don't have any particular diagnosis just pain in the knees from many ski accidents years ago.
Thanks for the quick reply, was your pain on the outside of your knee? That is where all my pain is.

Namaste
06-18-2012, 18:28
Yes, some pain on the outside but also just behind the kneecap. After hiking the first day I remember wondering if I would feel any pain after removing them but no I did not so it helped the complete knee.

Loneoak
06-18-2012, 19:23
Yes, some pain on the outside but also just behind the kneecap. After hiking the first day I remember wondering if I would feel any pain after removing them but no I did not so it helped the complete knee.
Thank you sir

BFI
06-18-2012, 19:39
I used them for about 200 miles then I got rid of my "new" Zamberlin boots ( too many blisters) and bought a pair of Oboz. Knee pain disappeared within a week. Maybe it was the Cho pats maybe the boots maybe a combination.

Bluebearee
06-18-2012, 21:16
Been using Cho-Pat straps for years to alleviate random knee pain, I also don't have a diagnosis but 1000+ days on skis and 1000s of miles of hiking and I'm trying to stave off surgery. They definitely help, but don't ask me how and be prepared that every person in the world will ask you what they are.

Mitey Mo
06-19-2012, 17:21
Me too. Cho pat dual band. Makes all the difference

verasch
06-19-2012, 19:16
After hiking down the south kaibab trail, I really screwed up my it band. The physical therapist I went to had me try a bunch of exercises and find a shoe with better ankle and heel support based on how i walk. When it flares up now, its usually because I'm not wearing the right shoes or haven't been exercising enough. About.com has some good exercises for ITB.

Loneoak
06-19-2012, 20:52
Thanks everyone, looks like exercises/stretches are the key. I have my first overnighter coming up this Thursday. Was looking for something that might give me some relief.

bflorac
06-20-2012, 00:24
I wouldn't expect the Cho Pat to help or support your IT band. It is designed to support the kneecap (runners knee). Once the IT band is inflamed there is little you can do to help other than resting (and drugs). However there is a lot you can do to prevent flame ups. According to my PT, the foam roller is one of the best tools as it will stretch the band near the knee. Most other body stretches only stretch the upper part. There are also exercises that will strengthen the muscles around the band. These should be part of your workout before starting a hike. That said, once on the trail, stretch, stretch stretch that IT band at every break. You can find may websites that show different stretches. I have a few I found that I can even do with my pack still on.

For what it's worth, I found the main source of my IT band problems was my custom made insoles I wore that year. Started hiking the next year with them, got knee pains, toss them out on day 2 and all knee issues went away. Just food for thought as you select footwear.

Ladytrekker
06-20-2012, 12:46
Have you tried working out on a ITB roller. I have used one to loosen up the ITB band. Just lay on your side on the roller and roll back and forth on it. When you first do it its excrutiating but it gets better. I use one at Crossfit to loosen up.

Praha4
06-20-2012, 14:05
I suffered from a bad case of ITBS two years ago. My left knee totally locked up on the descent the north side of Blood Mtn. Pain on the outside of my left knee. After several weeks of physical therapy and learning all about proper stretching and strength exercises, the problem is gone.

I've used the Cho-Pat dual-action knee strap for all my backpacking trips since then, and they have been a life saver. After using them, I've had no knee pain or problems. I tried several other straps bought at Walgreens, Walmart, etc. and none of them came close to helping like the Cho-Pat.

good luck