PDA

View Full Version : shoes???

cknight
06-18-2012, 20:36
I will bring up shoes once again. With the constant change in shoe designs, models, etc., it's hard to keep up. I hike decent miles, 15 to 20 per day, my toes hurt. I have tried various brands, currently in Keens for the large toe box. Narrow toe box's cause my #2 toe to ride up, then it kills the nail. I prefer a hiking shoe over a boot. Now considering New Balance. They are zillions of model numbers. I looked at 910's today, a gortex model. Any experience with these? I read about the 8xx model. What is the current number?

hikerboy57
06-18-2012, 20:45
I will bring up shoes once again. With the constant change in shoe designs, models, etc., it's hard to keep up. I hike decent miles, 15 to 20 per day, my toes hurt. I have tried various brands, currently in Keens for the large toe box. Narrow toe box's cause my #2 toe to ride up, then it kills the nail. I prefer a hiking shoe over a boot. Now considering New Balance. They are zillions of model numbers. I looked at 910's today, a gortex model. Any experience with these? I read about the 8xx model. What is the current number? i went away from keens and then went back to them for the same reason-the toebox. i have yet to find a shoe more comfortable enough to do 15-20 and my feet arent killing me.the extra weight of the keens are worth it to me(targhees).
how did you find the keens?

cknight
06-18-2012, 20:53
I am currently wearing targhees and they solved the problem with then #2 toe. However, I still have discomfort on #2,,3 & 4 with the big toe being #1. I did 15 miles on saturday and the toes on my right first are still feeling it. I am starting at the MD/PA border on July 9 for a two week section and would like to work this out.

cabbagehead
06-18-2012, 21:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvK-Bl4AJE

shelb
06-18-2012, 23:12
I prefer a Merril Hiking shoe, one son prefers keen close-toe sandals, and the other prefers New Balance. It is personal preference!

House of Payne
06-19-2012, 06:00
CK I am nearly in the same boat as you, issues with toe jam using trail shoes. In the past I have had bry good luck with Keen (for the larger toe box) but on a trip last summer using targhees I ran into serious problems with traction using those shoes in the whites. I now am into a pair of merrel camelion 4's . I went one size up to get some toe room and right now things seem to be working out pretty well. As the others have said, it comes down to personal preference and trial and error.

tf bear
06-19-2012, 10:32
I just completed Harpers Ferry to Duncannon last week. Did it in Keens. The toe box and traction were all good. But ripped the tread off the back of the heel going down hill. It finally ripped off all together. It was slightly noticeable, mostly on roads. Good shoe. Going to get another pair

q-tip
06-19-2012, 16:34
i am using the Montrail AT Plus GTX. It is the best footwear solution in all my hiking days. I have severe ankle problems so I use Heavy duty Futuro ankle braces and the combination solved my footwear problems.

RED-DOG
06-19-2012, 20:08
I hike in Scarpa's ( gortex ) their identical to the Montrail Hardrocks, very comfortable shoes.

johnnybgood
06-19-2012, 21:38
Another Keen Targhee fan here, getting ready to break in my third pair in as many years.
What the Targhee delivers in overall comfort and ankle support,I find they lack in traction and durability. The lugs wear badly and don't hold up much for traction.

My first pair completely came apart at the side seems after barely 12 months with only 250 est. miles on them.

With that being said, Keen replaced them without a hitch and I liked them so much that I bought another pair to work in.

I have a pair of Merrills also , but the Keens feel more comfortable to me , and still do even after many miles later.
At $130 a pair the Targhees don't come cheap . They are however the best fitting shoe that I have found so far.

dornstar
06-19-2012, 21:43
Another Keen fan too although I'm experimenting with a pair of Merrells at the present moment. I miss the toe box and will probably go back to the Keens. Only thing that I'm not a huge Keen fan is with the soles which don't have nearly the grip that my Merrells have.

Red Hat
06-20-2012, 01:39
To finally answer your question, I think the last New Balance All Terrain is the AT814.

Red Hat
06-20-2012, 01:41
I have used the goretex NBs 977 and 974 I think for winter hiking. The rest of the year, I prefer the 800 All Terrain trail runners.

cknight
06-20-2012, 11:32
According to the local New Balance store, the latest trail model is MT810. They also have a MT910, gor-tex shoe with a rubber toe cover. Looks a little like the Keen toe cover. I think some of the confusion comes for the fact that the MT810 has the letters AT on the side. Maybe its a marketing poly for AT hikers. They also tell me the 910 has better technology but the poor little girl could not tell me what that technology was. I ask her if they could be tracked from space, he had the best look on her face and I had to save her by telling her I was just kidding.

Any experiences with the 810 or 814 with toe issues?

Berserker
06-20-2012, 12:33
I first have to give the generic canned response that you need to get shoes that fit you no matter what make/manufacturer.

With that said I wear New Balance. I have used the 909 (predecessor to the 910 I think) and 814 (predecessor to the 810?) models fairly extensively. These two models have some differences, but the main one is in the makeup of the sole. The 814 has a more cushioned sole where the 909 gives you a bit more of a "bare foot" feel (and I'm making this comparison after having worn Vibram Five Fingers some). Depending on what you are looking for, and your conditioning you can decide which style works better for you. For me the 814s are better because apparently my feet just aren't conditioned to the point to be able to handle 15 mile days on the AT with a more minimalistic shoe.

I'm not a fan of Gore Tex, and would recommend steering away from it. Once you get Gore Tex shoes wet they take longer to dry than non-Gore Tex shoes, and trust me they'll get wet no matter what if you're in any type of extended rain on the AT.

As for the toe issue, I'm not sure if that is the shoe or just your feet. I have some strange issues like that (I actually have a similiar issue with my second toe on my right foot) that seem to occur no matter what pair of shoes I'm wearing.

mhurley
06-20-2012, 18:11
I hike in the New Balance 910. I love these shoes. They are relatively light and they are flexible. The rubber over the toes has saved me many times as I have gone over roots and rocks. I also believe that the socks you use are important. I use Smart Wool thick trekking socks. I have yet to get a blister using this set up and that is on stretches from 6 1/2 miles to in excess of 20.

I have tried boots before, but due to the structure of my feet and ankles I always ended up blistering my ankles. With that being the case, I only look for low cut trail shoes.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?hu31gi

mudhead
06-20-2012, 19:15
Go to NB site and read about "last." Most of the newer NB shoes, while available in wide widths, are built on a SL-1 or AL- 1 last. Which I find narrow in the toebox, in a 4E.

Gortex will cook your feet.

Zappos charges full retail, but has free, quick shipping both ways so you can try things on. Good search function by size.

Red Hat
06-21-2012, 04:36
The AT in New Balance shoes stands for All Terrain... not Appalachian Trail, but I love them on the AT

cabbagehead
06-21-2012, 11:45
My preference is flimsy water shoes AKA synthetic moccasins (with the insoles taken out). I carry trail runners as a backup for bad conditions.

Zippy Morocco
06-23-2012, 13:13
I use Inov-8 Roclite 315. Excellent choice if for a light trail runner. I still find myself slipping into my three year old Keen sandals more and more especially this time of year where I have to cross about a dozen wet things each day. Sandal are great but on long distance hikes you have to prepare yourself for foot cracking and callouses.

wasorama
06-29-2012, 12:48
Latest version of the NB 8XX series I found were MT814. Found them for $49.99 at the NB factory outlet store in Lawrence, MA today. Might be a later version at a regular store, but likely for regular prices.

Even two colors to pick from at the Lawrence, MA factory (an 'I can see them from the outer-space' orange or black). I bought orange of course. The relatively low price was because they were factory seconds. Can't find anything wrong with them. I've bought factory seconds of NB running shoes there with great success for many years. Got to love the factory store for prices.

ricka01
07-01-2012, 10:02
I have a similar problem as the OP: I have a regular sized heel, but my feet are wide in the toe and front-of-foot area. I have found the Patagonia Drifter AC and the Solomon Quest 4d GTX to fit very well. The Drifter AC comes in a gortex and non gortex models.