PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Shining Rock NC area

neonshaw
06-18-2012, 21:25
Hi guys

I am curious if anyone has hiked in the Shining Rock / Cold Mnt area and if so I am looking for advice on how to do a 3-4 day hike in that area. I was planning on parking at the Daniel Boone scout camp and going from there. Seeing as there are numerous trails its not the easiest place to plan a loop.

Interested in water sources, places to camp, etc..

Papa D
06-18-2012, 21:40
I know it very well - if you are going to do a loop, parking at DBSC is a long drive from just about anywhere (especially seeing you are from GA). Being that you have 3-5 days you could easily do the whole Art Loeb Trail (I've done it in one day) but you would need a shuttle - - that's the only reason that I can think of to intentionally park at DBSC. Parking at the Little Tennessee Trailhead is your best bet - check out Old Butt trail and access Shining Rock and Art Loeb from that direction - with 3-4 days, if you are in decent shape, you could easily go south to the Black Balsam, hike all through the Middle Prong Wilderness and then back to Art Loeb - - there are lots of options - - you'll need a map of the "Pisgah Ranger District" and maybe a wilderness map of "Middle Prong Wilderness" . FYI, Cold Mountain itself isn't all THAT interesting a hike. Private message me if you want more.

bus
06-18-2012, 22:04
You could always hike from the scout camp to Davidson River via the Art Loeb trail. You would have to get a shuttle either back to the scout camp or one from DR to the scout camp.

Or, you could hike south on Art Loeb to the Graveyard Fields area go left (east) on Graveyard Ridge trail (356) to Big East Fork Trail (357), then, at the parking area for the Big East Fork trailhead take the Shining Creek trail (363) back west to Art Loeb then back north on it to the scout camp.

Get the Nat Geo map of that section!

If you decide to park and shuttle I can do it for about $45...

hikerinnc
06-18-2012, 22:05
+1 on Cold Mt. I had to see myself but I wished I'd skipped it.

bwb49
06-19-2012, 08:43
"Art Loeb Trail DescriptionThe 30.1 mile Art Loeb Trail is one of the longer and more difficult trails in the state, "

You did the Art Loeb in one day, I'm impressed!! Did you do it from DBSC to Davidson River?

Agree on Cold Mtn

The Solemates
06-19-2012, 09:08
tons of loops in pisgah. my favorite is a huge loop starting near the visitor center, hiking up to black mtn, over to pink beds area and pisgah inn, across the parkway, over to cold mtn, down the spine to sams knob, back over the parkway, down daniels ridge towards looking glass and john rock, and back to the car.

hoyawolf
06-19-2012, 22:08
I prefer to either park in Davidson River campground and hike up over the ridge onto the balds of the Art Loeb or Park at Little East Fork and hike a long loop up and back.

A lot of good back country fly fishing there too!

Cold Mountain is a toss up, however, the small gap below it is nice for camping. The hike up from DBSC is fun.

Rasty
06-19-2012, 23:46
If I do a third Shining Rock loop hike this is what I would do

1) Park at the Big East Fork Parking lot
2) Shining creek trail to
3) Art Loeb trail to Cold Mountain (Night 1) Spring near top
4) Art Loeb trail to Daniel Boone Boy Scout Camp (Get a Soda)
5) Little East Fork Trail to Ivestor Gap Trail (Night 2) Get water about 1/2 mile before Ivestor trail
6) Ivestor Gap Trail to Art Loeb Spur Trail to Art Loeb Trail (Black Balsam Knob)
7) Art Loeb to Shining Rock Gap (Night 3) Water 1/4 mile down the shining creek trail
8) Old Butt Trail to Car

Rasty
06-19-2012, 23:50
If I do a third Shining Rock loop hike this is what I would do

1) Park at the Big East Fork Parking lot
2) Shining creek trail to
3) Art Loeb trail to Cold Mountain (Night 1) Spring near top
4) Art Loeb trail to Daniel Boone Boy Scout Camp (Get a Soda)
5) Little East Fork Trail to Ivestor Gap Trail (Night 2) Get water about 1/2 mile before Ivestor trail
6) Ivestor Gap Trail to Art Loeb Spur Trail to Art Loeb Trail (Black Balsam Knob)
7) Art Loeb to Shining Rock Gap (Night 3) Water 1/4 mile down the shining creek trail
8) Old Butt Trail to Car

Forgot about the note about the Little East Fork Trail. I follows the creek uphill but the middle 1/3 was very overgrown two years ago. It was not a problem and I found it funny that this is a "Horse Trail". I don't think any horses have been on that trail in years.

chelko
06-20-2012, 10:36
Ditto on rastrailkis' post great hike. Takes in all that that area has to offer. Would get the USFS Shining Rock & Middle Prong Wilderness Map over the Nat Geo trais Illustrated. The USFS map is more detailed and larger scale. Can get crowded up there. I sat in Shining Rock gap in my thermarest chair one Saturday afternoon smoking a cigar and counted 110 backpackers come through the gap from various directions. The Daniel Boone Scout camp leads groups of scouts through there all summer long.

10-K
06-20-2012, 10:56
Kevin is that map online or do you need to buy it? Would love to have a copy for the 50 mile mountains to sea trail sectionI'm getting ready to do.

chelko
06-20-2012, 14:56
Thomas,

that map only covers about 25 miles of the MST. The Nat Geo trails Illustrated map covers 45 miles of the parkway and probably 50 plus of the MST because it is two sided. The link to buy the USFS map is http://www.nationalforeststore.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NFS&Product_Code=NC-10&Category_Code=NC. I know it is long but it takes you right to it.

10-K
06-20-2012, 15:49
Thanks - I picked up the Pisgah and Toe River maps too.

I hiked the Art Loeb Trail a few months ago with the Nat Geo maps and only got turned around once and caught my mistake before I'd went a mile.

Gotta love a compass. :)

chelko
06-20-2012, 16:04
I also have the toe River map as well as the Wilson Creek Map. I will probably get the Uwharrie map since it was updated last year and it is only a little over an hour from my house. Makes a nice spur of the moment location for a fall or winter weekend or overnighter. Too hot there this time of year. You should check out the MST section through Wilson Creek. Really nice hiking in there.

neonshaw
06-21-2012, 21:22
OK these are great suggestions, I picked up Pisgah map 780. Its much better than the older map I have.

I will settle on a route before Sunday - I am dropping the daughter off at Camp Crestridge near Ridgecrest NC east of asheville on sunday morning and heading to pisgah area with a buddy for 4 days in the shining rock wilderness - just have to sort out a route.

I will let you know what we settle on thanks everyone

wornoutboots
06-21-2012, 23:31
I hiked up there & the nearer you get to Shining Rock the more confusing the trails get. There were trails coming & going in all directions with NO trail signs, almost comical at times. Great Blueberries though : O )!! Just be prepared to take your time & enjoy the scenery!