PDA

View Full Version : Water and bugs?

blyle
06-19-2012, 09:39
Does anyone know if the water sources are currently reliable (particularly the northern section)? Also, any update on flies and mosquitoes?

Slo-go'en
06-19-2012, 12:36
It would be highly unusual if the water sources on the LT were not reliable - year round. It's been a reasonably wet spring and early summer, so the mud and the water should be just fine this year.

The bugs are currently pretty much at thier peak of annoyance. A bug net to sleep under and a head net are highly recommended this time of year.

NorthCountryWoods
06-19-2012, 13:20
Not sure and I live here. We've only had about average rainfall for the year, but the snowpack was very low. Not sure how that will impact water this season. It's also been very dry the past week. Heat and humidity predicted for the next couple days with rain coming next week.

For full disclosure, I haven't been on the trail much this year, but the springs, creeks, brooks and rivers around me are much lower than normal for this time of year.

Jeff
06-19-2012, 13:49
Regarding the southern section of the LT, water should be no problem. Bugs are indeed close to their peak. It's not really a problem while hiking, but when you stop...watch out. The mountain summits are especially buggy.