PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiking the appalachians AT + IAT.. I got this dream... is it reasonable?

DavidNH
04-16-2005, 21:53
Hello,
I have this dream with in me to thru hike from Amicoala Falls on up to Katahdin an on to the Gaspe. I understand it that would be 2175+ 600 = a very long way to go.

Assuming a daily avg. of 15 miles per day with 1 zero day per week.. And a start around mid march...is this reasonable? that is without hitting serious winter conditions anywhere..

having never hiked more than a couple hundred miles at a stretch.. perhaps I have no business even dreaming of this. but I would like to thing that an I could pull of such an amazing oddesy as this.

I dont really have a time limit for the perspective hike (I would have to quit job to do it anway) other than what climatic conditions dictate.

Is it possible..that once one gets up to Maine..one is in such good shape that his pace is better? and therefore the IAT would be easier than if one did it as a separate trip?

David

PKH
04-16-2005, 22:19
Technically it is feasible, although I should point out that the IAT is actually a bit over 750 miles long. (did it last summer, SOBO) Most IAT through hikers seem to do it in six to eight weeks - I finished in 39 hiking days - 3 zeros.

With a mid March start and 15 miles a day you might be able to get to Cap Gaspe by the end of September. You most definitely can not count on getting through those Quebec mountains in October.

The IAT in Maine and New Brunswick is mostly road walking and rail trails. Don't let this fool you. While you will certainly make excellent time, most long distance walkers will tell you that road walking can be a soul destroying experience, and very hard on the body. On the other hand, much of the trail in Quebec is absolutely wild, extraordinarly rugged, and not yet up to AT trail standards. It is also a lonely trail. Expect to go days without seeing another hiker.

Good luck

PKH

Panzer1
04-16-2005, 23:38
Did you consider leaving at the start of march. Many people have left in early march. The extra 2 weeks may give you some breathing room up north.

Go for it..

Panzer

The Hog
04-17-2005, 07:53
I think the dream is doable, but you are likely to see snow at both ends. The loneliness factor mentioned above could be tough. When the (huge) support system of other hikers, trail magic, etc drops away north of Katahdin, it'll be a test of your inner resources, and a test of your resolve. It could also be one great trip.

Doc
04-17-2005, 09:08
You might want to check closely, but I think that the IAT now goes beyond Cap Gaspe. It really depends on your goal.

Doc

PKH
04-17-2005, 09:20
Doc,

While officially the IAT now extends up the west coast of Newfoundland, this section is very much a dream or paper trail at this time. Some day perhaps, but not yet.

Hikers have combined the AT and IAT, and indeed a few have walked all the way from Florida to Gaspe, so of course it can be done. Aside from psychological factors and the inevitable wear and tear that any long hike would entail, the main problem is extreme weather at either end I suppose. The AT experience is well documented, this site being an excellent example; information on the IAT is rather sparse in comparison.

I could provide a trail guide, resupply information, and I suppose I could give my rather lengthy personal IAT journal for anyone seriously interested in doing the IAT.

Cheers,

PKH

neo
04-17-2005, 09:42
spider did the whole eastern continental trail from june 1 2000 to april 8 2001

he started at cape gaspe and finished in florida,his hike is well journaled
and lots of pictures.:cool: neo

chris
04-17-2005, 14:42
Putting up 2800 miles on well built, well marked, easily resuppliable trail in a summer isn't unreasonable. Given that you also have the spring and fall at your disposable, a hike of the AT and IAT/SIA up to Gaspe is entirely possible.

DavidNH
04-17-2005, 17:28
So another good question to ask... just how wintery does it get in the Gorgia mountains in early -mid March? Feet of snow or inches? 20's or sub zero?
Winter conditions on the gaspe would worry me a whole lot more. I imagine up there it gets real serious!

Anyway I guess one good strategy would be to hike up as far as NH and asseess the situation. If I get to the whites by mid to late July probably doable. If I am in the White Mountains by mid to late August.. it might be touch and go...

I have never liked road walking and have never done many miles of it. To road walk through Maine and much of new Brunswick does give on pause.

David

Tramper Al
04-17-2005, 18:44
To road walk through Maine and much of new Brunswick does give on pause.
I enjoy walking on country roads, and I will probably walk the Maine section of the IAT as a stand-alone hike. The traverse of BSP will take a few days and will be fanastic. Then a few days on country roads up to the border swath. Sounds great to me.

lobstergrrrl
04-17-2005, 20:26
Have done some of this Tramper Al, and found roads very narrow with no shoulder.

The Solemates
04-18-2005, 09:33
So another good question to ask... just how wintery does it get in the Gorgia mountains in early -mid March? Feet of snow or inches? 20's or sub zero?
Winter conditions on the gaspe would worry me a whole lot more. I imagine up there it gets real serious!

David

We started out NOBO hike Feb 1 at Springer and had winter conditions for about a month and a half. Hundreds of people start March 1 without any problem. A March 1 start will only see winter weather for the first 2-3 weeks. Of course you may have the occasional snow storm after this date, but nothing much to worry about. For a March 1 start I would say expect to see temps anywhere from 0F to 30F at night (with a mid20s avg.) and 30F to 70F during the day (with mid40s avg.). Be prepared for snow, but nothing major. After a month, send home your winter stuff cause spring will be there by apr 1.

Nean
04-18-2005, 10:18
Since Scott Williamson became the first A.T. thruhiker to hike from the keys to canada in 95 (pre-IAT) many have followed his footsteps, and beyond. You bet it is doable, live your dream but remember... it's not the destination....

The Old Fhart
04-18-2005, 11:37
Read the book "Ten Million Steps" by Nimblewill Nomad (M.J. Eberhart) who hiked from the Florida Keys to Cap Gaspé in 1998. This book will give you a good background of what the trip would entail.

DavidNH
04-18-2005, 19:50
Old Fahrt..yes I have read the book 10 million steps. What a story! I suspect he was one special individual. Isnt the IAT a little more developed and settled than when Nomad first did it back in late 90's?

David

PKH
04-19-2005, 05:52
David,

Yes, of course the IAT is better developed than in 1998, but there are still long wild and wooly stretches in Quebec - in particular the Matane Reserve. I've talked to IAT organizers who assisted Nomad in the reserve, and it seems that he suffered considerably. A famously nasty section in New Brunswick along the Restigouche has actually been abandoned due to a combination of logging activity and impossible terraine. This section messed up Nomad badly. I believe no hiker ever made it through this stretch.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. It is a magnificent hiking goal and it is achievable. Just make sure you don't hit Quebec too late in the year.

Cheers,

PKH