PDA

View Full Version : Amount of water you carry?

JoshAuerbach
06-19-2012, 12:16
How much water do you carry on a daily basis on the trail and how do you choose to carry it?

BobTheBuilder
06-19-2012, 12:23
Usually start the day with two quarts. I use Powereade bottles and carry one in each side pocket of my pack. Sometimes I add powdered drink mix to one of them. Usually lasts me all day unless its really hot, then I drink a lot more in the evening. YMMV.

atmilkman
06-19-2012, 12:30
Usually start the day with two quarts. I use Powereade bottles and carry one in each side pocket of my pack. Sometimes I add powdered drink mix to one of them. Usually lasts me all day unless its really hot, then I drink a lot more in the evening. YMMV.
Ditto on this. Powerade bottle each side and some kind of 16oz bottle in shorts/pants side pocket. This time of year I go through about 8-10 liters of water a day and about 4 of them will be drink mixes.

ChinMusic
06-19-2012, 12:33
Often just a 20oz bottle now, if I know there are sources aplenty. When getting water I plan out my next source. So, the real answer is "it varies ".

10-K
06-19-2012, 12:40
As little as possible to still have enough. :)

If I'm going to hike somewhere I find out beforehand what the water situation is like and adjust accordingly.

It doesn't make much sense to spend $500-$1000 on ultralight equipment and then carry 4 lbs of water if it isn't necessary.

Rocket Jones
06-19-2012, 13:28
Like the above, I carry "enough", which varies according to the season and area. I usually carry 2 1-liter bottles in the outside pockets of my pack, and a 2-liter platypus with my kitchen gear for additional capacity in the evenings.

Whack-a-mole
06-19-2012, 13:43
I carry a 1 liter soda pop bottle on each side. I drink from the one on the right, as I am right handed. The one on the left gets moved to the right when the right one gets emptied. Then the left one gets filled along with two drops of clorox. I agree this is a little more weight, but I do sweat a ton and try to stay ahead of the dehydration, but usually fall behind. A little packet of lemonaid helps cover the clorox taste. I tried using a bladder on my last trip, and absolutely hated it. I have used a camel bak for a long time on my mtn bike, but it is so different on a hiking trip. Having to take my pack apart to fill the bladder is such a PIA. Thanks to REI that was a one trip expense. I disliked it so bad I took the new bladder back the day after I got back. I didn't even want to keep it to try it again later.

moldy
06-19-2012, 13:49
I carry 2 coke bottles 20oz each. I fasten them to my chest strap in those cheap wal-mart bottle holders with a D clip. In drought conditions I sometimes carry an empty bottle extra in case I see that the road ahead has no water for many miles. In hot dry conditions I sometimes ration my water intake to a third of a bottle every half hour.

Kerosene
06-19-2012, 13:54
Leaving a water source, I usually carry 2 to 2.5 liters in two Platy Softbottles in my side pockets, one of which is inverted with a hoser bite valve. I rarely carry less than a liter unless I'm very confident of future sources. I once ran out of water for a few hours on a hot, humid trail in northern NJ, and to this day I always carry more than I probably really need.

Bati
06-19-2012, 14:04
It depends on the weather as well as the number of water sources expected on the trail.
With careful rationing I can go 24 hours on 3.5 liters in fairly hot weather, but it's not something I like to do. I recall flossing, but not brushing my teeth one night in PA when water sources were far between. Ditto for a few points in NJ, one where I had to buy water from a store that provided free water for hikers only when they had enough water in their well. When the well was running dry, you bought and were thankful to have the opportunity to do so.

I typically carry 3 liter-size nalgenes (non-lexan) and a bicycle water bottle in warmer weather or a smaller pint-size nalgene in colder weather. You'll want to carry your water upside down in cold weather, and the wide mouths are easier to break the ice than a smaller bottle. However, if the weather is nice, I like to be able to drink using only one hand. The amount of water in each depends on the distance to the next water source, the reliability of such, how much food weight is in my pack, and the weather (will it rain in 2 hours or is it raining now when I'm pumping water and getting cold).

I have a Dana designs ribs pack and carry the smaller bottle there in all but the coldest weather. I will occasionally use a PET 1 type bottle (coke, gatorade, etc.) but try not do so regularly as they can leach chemicals. However, they're great if you need extra water for a short section.
I always drink straight water; no drink mixes while I'm hiking.

Rarely, I'll collect water in a gallon-size ziplock and filter it in a shelter. It's a good way to avoid the rain and gives me something to do to stay warm. Place the ziplock in a pot to keep it from spilling.

q-tip
06-19-2012, 16:30
I look at the water sources for the hike that day, and carry enough to sip on through the day. I usually carry 16-24 oz, but fill up regularly at water sources. Beats the way I used to do it, carry three liters for the day. UUUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smooth & Wasabi
06-19-2012, 16:40
As has been said it depends on the water situation where you are hiking. I have hiked places where one liter seemed overkill and hiked long waterless stretches on hot days

Smooth & Wasabi
06-19-2012, 16:42
Sorry my ten month old posted for me before I was ready:-?. continued ....where three were barely adequate. I prefer platys and reused beverage containers 3 season and hard and soft nalgenes in winter.

Nutbrown
06-19-2012, 16:42
I usually leave with 1.5 liters in my camelbak clean bag. I think I would preffer to have 2, 1 liter bottles so I can see how much I have left(the camelbak is in my pak), but I'm not going to buy extra stuff when I have a good system.

brian039
06-19-2012, 16:52
I'd have the CAPACITY to carry 2-3L but would rarely fill up all the way. Just depends on how hot/humid it is that day and how far the next water source is. I ran out once in Virginia because I wasn't paying attention to my guidebook and ran out a few times in PA and NY for a little bit longer than I would have liked to. I even ran out of water in Maine once because a reliable spring that I was counting on in the Bigelows had dried up. It was a very dry year.

Spokes
06-19-2012, 16:57
I average 2 liters- one in a Gatorade bottle, the other in a platy with a hydration tube laid on top of my inner pack main compartment.

TrekkerJeff
06-19-2012, 17:07
My wife has a 3 liter Platypus bag and a Gatoraide bottle. I carry a 2 liter Platypus bag and 1 liter Platy softbottle. We also have a 96 oz Nalgene sack for use if we need extra water to stealth camp with of for doing a sponge bath. That being said, we try to only carry what is needed based on the potential water sources listed in out AT Guide. Normally 1.5 to 2 liters each is what we start out with and we try to camel up at water stops.

10-K
06-19-2012, 17:22
For the record. I can't recall ever hearing about anyone dying of dehydration on the Appalachian Trail.

Spokes
06-19-2012, 17:25
For the record. I can't recall ever hearing about anyone dying of dehydration on the Appalachian Trail.

Agreed. But I've been really parched before! :D

10-K
06-19-2012, 17:27
Agreed. But I've been really parched before! :D

If you hike enough it's going to happen! I lost my last quart once when my bottle sprung a leak. Thought I was sweating and it was my water draining slowly.

BFI
06-19-2012, 17:37

This spring a hiker name Ratman was hospitalized in Dahlonaga with severe dehydration. He had to spend a week in the hospital. If your kidneys shut down you will wish you were dead.

BFI
06-19-2012, 17:42
I carried a 2 Ltr Platapus and a quart bottle of Gatorade. On hot days with lots of climbs I would go through 4-6 quarts of water. On cool rainy days 2-3 quarts. I always refilled the quart bottle at every oppertunity.

flemdawg1
06-19-2012, 17:47
2 liters in a hydration bladder. It will generally last most of the day, I ususally take breaks/lunch at water sources though and down a quart or 2.

Veetack
06-19-2012, 17:52
I will carry 100 mL per mile I'm hiking that day. I have a 3L platypus and I usually have 1.5-2L in it. I usually stop for lunch at a water source and will drink a liter of Gatorade while I'm there to get the salts back in my body.

10-K
06-19-2012, 18:27
This spring a hiker name Ratman was hospitalized in Dahlonaga with severe dehydration. He had to spend a week in the hospital. If your kidneys shut down you will wish you were dead.

Would be interested to know the details on this one.... He didn't get very far.

Bottom line.. if you want to carry less water you need to do the basics..

1. Don't pass up springs and other places to score a quick drink as you hike....

I keep a cup carbinered to my hip belt that I can snap it off and drink up at random springs and creeks as I hike.

2. Drink up in the morning. Start the day hydrated.

3. Try to take breaks and meals at water sources instead of by what time the clock says so you can drink up.

4. Know where the next water source is in front of you.

Stuff like that...

Pumba
06-19-2012, 18:36
I keep a cup carbinered to my hip belt that I can snap it off and drink up at random springs and creeks as I hike.

How do you filter/treat it?

Deacon
06-19-2012, 18:45
I will carry 100 mL per mile I'm hiking that day. I have a 3L platypus and I usually have 1.5-2L in it. I usually stop for lunch at a water source and will drink a liter of Gatorade while I'm there to get the salts back in my body.

I do the same, and I carry my 3L big zip in my left side pocket of my Circuit. There is side strap just the right height to hold the top of the platty just under the blue slide piece on the platy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
06-19-2012, 19:33
Depends on how hot it is, and how much water I expect to find. Son and I carried 4.5L each on a hike back in Feb. (not AT). On another 3day trek in April, didnt need more than 1 at any time. In 85 F shady AT hiking eather, I am comfortable with 2L for 10 miles in the mountains. In 90+ degree with no shade, it would be 2x that at least. Usually, I have 1.5L on me and its way too much . Could get by with less than 1 much of the time.

Wise Old Owl
06-19-2012, 19:50

That's because the end of the day the trail passes a pub or restaurant that sells Yuengling on tap. So most hikers camel up at the spigot in the morning and hike with two Gatorade bottles... in future please pay more attention to what they are not saying...gheesh....:D:D:D:D:Dhttp://blogs.gonomad.com/wake-and-wander/files/2011/12/yuengling-lager.jpg

(10-K you know I am kidding )

shelb
06-19-2012, 20:04
... tried using a bladder on my last trip, and absolutely hated it. ....

And I find I continuously sip water with a bladder, so I drink more...

10-K
06-19-2012, 20:36
How do you filter/treat it?

What's a filter? :)

SassyWindsor
06-19-2012, 21:20
I assume we're talking about hiking the AT. Still depends on NOBO or SOBO and times of year. Hot weather down south could mean water sources more scarce. Even with that, 2-3L should be fine. Food sources may vary too depending on time of year. I use mail drops for primary food/supply source.

Lone Wolf
06-19-2012, 21:33
How much water do you carry on a daily basis on the trail and how do you choose to carry it?

quart and a half. nalgene bottle and a gatorade bottle. it's all you need. don't get one of them bladder things with a sucker tube. overpriced and leaky

Wise Old Owl
06-19-2012, 21:48
Filter? there are two, one to keep the air clean, and the other to get the water out of the gas ....

m_factor
06-20-2012, 11:49
Don't forget that you can change your methods has you hike.

1999 was an extremely hot and dry year on the AT. There were places were there were no water sources for a full day's hike in 100+ degree weather. Anyone who had started out only carrying one or two liters worth of water carrying capacity bought more "water" bottles in the form of Gatorade or soda along the way. There were plenty of days when we started out each carrying at least a gallon of water each - and we ran out and became dehydrated a number of times.

We knocked on people's doors at one point and there were a couple of places where local trail angels or trail clubs put out water caches for the thruhikers. That may have been the first time they had ever done so though I think I've heard of it happening again.

Still, the advice to be aware of your upcoming water sources and only carrying enough to get to them is sound. Why carry water to water?

Personally, I've carried everything from soda bottles (crush a bit too easily) to Gatorade bottles (stronger but weigh a bit more) to a one gallon Dromedary bag (flexibility without bulk). I used to have one of the old Nalgene bottles and used it until it disintegrated one day. I pick and choose depending on situation. I've got a hose for the Dromedary bag that I use at times, too.

Stepinwolfe
06-21-2012, 08:11
Water is plentiful over most of the trail and a good map will mark the streams, springs, etc. Any system that results in safe water and not too much weight is OK. During the hot months and periods of drought water can be a real issue. Suggest you talk to hikers coming from the opposite direction to learn the status of water sources that lie ahead. Also, you will have to master the art of carrying just enough water--not too much due to the extra weight-- and not too little given the temperature, humidity, and status of water sources in the direction you are traveling.

10-K
06-21-2012, 08:24
Also, to a certain extent the faster you hike the less you have to carry because you will come across more water sources in the same amount of time.

There are some long dry stretches in places and if you're only hiking 10 or so miles a day you could find yourself needing to carry more.

Trubrit
06-21-2012, 09:05
Since March I have extended hospitality to 297 through hikers. shuttling them, accommodating them and entertaining them all free and gratis. Awesome time and great people. This morning at 7.30am I get a call from one of a group of 6 that I put back on the trail yesterday AM that they are desperately in need of water and would I drive the 20 miles to the next road crossing to replenish their water? "YES. YES I will". These same people I told just yesterday there is no water for 22 Trail miles and they would need to carry as much as possible. As they loaded onto my vehicle to shuttle out, I asked again "Have you all got enough water for the section?" A resounding "YES!" Is the reply......... as I am looking at the empty Nalgenes hanging from, and stuffed into mesh pockets on their packs. "It will be very hot on the ridge" I tell them again. "There is no water available, are you sure you have enough?" "Absolutely" is the reply from all.
The fear that seems to abound, that carrying sufficient water will in some way weigh down a hiker making it uncomfortable to hike is pretty darn stupid. It is a load that is diminishing constantly and with its consumption you are better able to negotiate the distances you set yourself each day. \
A gallon of water weighs 8.35 pounds. (YIKES! Oh the inhumanity) Buy a 5 liter case of Franzia... enjoy the contents. Remove the bladder and wash it out. it will pack away to nothing. When someone with local knowledge tells you there is no water for several miles, fill the damn thing and suffer the weight for a couple of miles it will be empty when you complete the section with your normal water supply undiminished, you will also be hydrated and not suffering cramps , spasms, dizziness etc.
SOBO's are starting to come through now , as the last of the NOBO,s take a night off at my place.
Be safe all and "CARRY SUFFICIENT WATER" Plus spare. (Here endeth the rant ! LOL)

10-K
06-21-2012, 09:11
A gallon of water weighs 8.35 pounds. (YIKES! Oh the inhumanity) Buy a 5 liter case of Franzia... enjoy the contents. Remove the bladder and wash it out. it will pack away to nothing. When someone with local knowledge tells you there is no water for several miles, fill the damn thing and suffer the weight for a couple of miles it will be empty when you complete the section with your normal water supply undiminished, you will also be hydrated and not suffering cramps , spasms, dizziness etc.
(Here endeth the rant ! LOL)

Look.... you can't fix stupid.

If I were hiking somewhere there was no water for 22 miles I'd certainly carry enough to hike 22 miles and I doubt very seriously you'd ever hear from me again after you dropped me off.

I would not however carry enough water to hike 42 miles just because there was no water for 22 miles.

atmilkman
06-21-2012, 09:20
Since March I have extended hospitality to 297 through hikers. shuttling them, accommodating them and entertaining them all free and gratis. Awesome time and great people. This morning at 7.30am I get a call from one of a group of 6 that I put back on the trail yesterday AM that they are desperately in need of water and would I drive the 20 miles to the next road crossing to replenish their water? "YES. YES I will". These same people I told just yesterday there is no water for 22 Trail miles and they would need to carry as much as possible. As they loaded onto my vehicle to shuttle out, I asked again "Have you all got enough water for the section?" A resounding "YES!" Is the reply......... as I am looking at the empty Nalgenes hanging from, and stuffed into mesh pockets on their packs. "It will be very hot on the ridge" I tell them again. "There is no water available, are you sure you have enough?" "Absolutely" is the reply from all.
The fear that seems to abound, that carrying sufficient water will in some way weigh down a hiker making it uncomfortable to hike is pretty darn stupid. It is a load that is diminishing constantly and with its consumption you are better able to negotiate the distances you set yourself each day. \
SOBO's are starting to come through now , as the last of the NOBO,s take a night off at my place.
Be safe all and "CARRY SUFFICIENT WATER" Plus spare. (Here endeth the rant ! LOL)
22 miles - that is a good stretch. In these temps I'm about a cup a mile. I would carry a minimum of 6 liters on this length for sure and more than likely 7. Like you said it doesn't take long to lighten up at a liter every 4 miles.

jeffmeh
06-21-2012, 11:07
Experienced dehydration while hiking once when heading up the King's Ravine Trail on Adams. I will gladly carry some extra water rather than have that happen again.

cabbagehead
06-21-2012, 11:18
0 to 3 L, 1 L average

Maddog
06-21-2012, 11:21
As little as possible to still have enough. :)

If I'm going to hike somewhere I find out beforehand what the water situation is like and adjust accordingly.

It doesn't make much sense to spend $500-$1000 on ultralight equipment and then carry 4 lbs of water if it isn't necessary.
I agree with 10-K! I try not to carry more than 1 liter! Maddog:)

cabbagehead
06-21-2012, 11:25
I use an MSR ceramic filter. It's heavy. I don't recommend it. I plan on getting an alternative.

Right now I can get safe water from almost anywhere because much of the trail is a stream with blazes directing you to walk through it.

Trubrit
06-21-2012, 11:56
Right now I can get safe water from almost anywhere because much of the trail is a stream with blazes directing you to walk through it.

erm .... have you done the Bland section of the AT this time of year? There is one reliable water source between Chestnut Knob and Jenny Knob. That is at Laurel creek Rte 615. There is no section of the AT here that is even remotely a blazed section of a stream. You must have walked it during a constant downpour ! LOL. To date I have done this section 25 times looking for alternate water sources, dropping one contour at a time. There has been no luck yet.

10-K
06-21-2012, 12:18
Experienced dehydration while hiking once when heading up the King's Ravine Trail on Adams. I will gladly carry some extra water rather than have that happen again.

Me too Jeff. Last year I hiked the Bartram Trail. It is a very benign 100 mile trail - nothing fancy or really challenging. Still, I found myself literally wondering if I was going to not make it to the next water source because I ran out of water a long way from the next source and it was hot as blazes. I seriously considered walking back some miles to a known water source even though it would cost me a few hours of wasted hiking.

But, what I took away from it was not, "From now on I'm going to carry extra water.".

My lesson was, "What did I do wrong so I don't make this mistake again?"

I did 2 things wrong... The first was I hiked by at least 2 water sources and didn't stop long enough to drink a few cups of water. The second thing I did wrong was I drank the water I was carrying too fast.

So I learned 2 things.... Don't pass up water sources and don't scarf down all my water when I'm still a ways from the next source.

Not: Carry extra water the rest of my life because I ran out once.

jeffmeh
06-21-2012, 12:43
Me too Jeff. Last year I hiked the Bartram Trail. It is a very benign 100 mile trail - nothing fancy or really challenging. Still, I found myself literally wondering if I was going to not make it to the next water source because I ran out of water a long way from the next source and it was hot as blazes. I seriously considered walking back some miles to a known water source even though it would cost me a few hours of wasted hiking.

But, what I took away from it was not, "From now on I'm going to carry extra water.".

My lesson was, "What did I do wrong so I don't make this mistake again?"

I did 2 things wrong... The first was I hiked by at least 2 water sources and didn't stop long enough to drink a few cups of water. The second thing I did wrong was I drank the water I was carrying too fast.

So I learned 2 things.... Don't pass up water sources and don't scarf down all my water when I'm still a ways from the next source.

Not: Carry extra water the rest of my life because I ran out once.

I understand your perspective. I could have stated it better as providing a bigger contingency buffer rather than carrying "extra water," lol. I no longer try to cut it close.

Suckerfish
06-23-2012, 20:06
I carry 2 smart water 32 oz bottles, they are much narrower than the gatoraid bottles and lighter than the nalgine bottles. They fit perfect in my two side pockets in my pack. I usually fill each up about half full if there are water sources during the hike, also I drink up at the water source. I have never fulled both up during the day. However I usually fill them both up when heading for the shelter or camp. Plenty of water for dinner/breakfast and coffee then next morning giving me enough juice until I get to the next water hole.

Sarcasm the elf
06-23-2012, 21:03

Cabbagehead, I assume you mean the trail in Massachusetts? Is it really that wet up there right now?

Last year I was up there the week after Hurricane Irene came through, another storm came through and dumped an additonal 7 inches of rain. I think that on the third morning I could have kayaked the section between Upper Goose pond cabin and Rte. 23.

P-Train
06-23-2012, 21:20
I have the capacity for three liters with my Camelbak but take roughly two. For me that's about 15 miles on an as needed basis.

Sailing_Faith
06-23-2012, 22:41
3l Bladder, that is rarely full... then 2 1l bottles. One bottle is for the dog, and one is normally used for Brandy or Cognac (for medicinal use).

Sarcasm the elf
06-23-2012, 22:50
3l Bladder, that is rarely full... then 2 1l bottles. One bottle is for the dog, and one is normally used for Brandy or Cognac (for medicinal use).

I carry about the same, 3L for myself (up to 5L if it's hot enough and dry enough) A separate liter for the dog, so that I can pour what she doesn't drink back into the bottle rather than throw it away...Wait, did you say a liter of Brandy? I'm a fan of a bit of whisky on the trial when it's cold out, but I'd never bring a full liter of the stuff anywhere where I don't have access to a flush toilet :eek::rolleyes:

thecyclops
06-24-2012, 00:11

I carry medicinal herbs that would go well with that Brandy...

Sailing_Faith
06-24-2012, 00:13
...Wait, did you say a liter of Brandy? I'm a fan of a bit of whisky on the trial when it's cold out, but I'd never bring a full liter of the stuff anywhere where I don't have access to a flush toilet :eek::rolleyes:

I will sometimes fill one up with vino, but mostly I will empty a 750ml bottle into a 1l nalgene bottle to last for a few days... depending on who I am hiking with. :cool: I have learned that one CAN confuse the strong stuff for the H2o when carrying this way... makes for quite a surprise when that happens...

sailsET
06-24-2012, 21:46
I will sometimes fill one up with vino, but mostly I will empty a 750ml bottle into a 1l nalgene bottle to last for a few days... depending on who I am hiking with. :cool: I have learned that one CAN confuse the strong stuff for the H2o when carrying this way... makes for quite a surprise when that happens...
Yep, those nalgene bottles can be quite confusing sometimes. Best be careful with the strong stuff!

Sailing_Faith
06-24-2012, 23:31
Yep, those nalgene bottles can be quite confusing sometimes. Best be careful with the strong stuff!

Yea, I have heard that... good tip. :D

Odd Man Out
06-24-2012, 23:45

With these, the wine lasts without oxidation. Also weighs less than a Nalgene.

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/wine-preservation/platypreserve/product

BlackJack1
06-30-2012, 05:40
3 liters is overkill unless its hot out. I usually start out with 1 liter after I camel up.

lemon b
06-30-2012, 08:25
Usually none.

Vulture
07-04-2012, 01:18
Varies pretty hugely... Last summer's PA section hike had some springs drying up and temperatures in the low 100's at times. I carried a gallon for that (plus a liter of my GF's to lighten her pack), and almost changed my name to "tanker"

Veetack
07-05-2012, 16:41
Under 90 degrees - I carry 1 L per 10 miles I am going
Over 90 - 1.5 - 2 liters per 10

atmilkman
07-05-2012, 18:49
Under 90 degrees - I carry 1 L per 10 miles I am going
Over 90 - 1.5 - 2 liters per 10
Boy I wish I could do this. When it's even in the 80's I'm going to go through about 4L in a 10 mile stretch, and if it's over 90 it's closer to 5.