PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Boots

Double Wide
06-20-2012, 05:07
I'm in the early stages of planning for a NOBO thru in either 2014 or 2015 (it all depends on the economy and finances!) and I have a question about footwear. I've read all the other forums about the trail-runners vs. boots vs. whatever else, so I don't want to go down that path. But here's the thing. Over 20 years ago, I had an achilles injury that never quite healed exactly right (I still can't really stand on my tip-toes for more than a second or two), so for anything more than a fairly-level day hike, I have to wear over-the-ankle boots. I need the support.

After doing my due-diligence, several months ago I bought a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II boots, which I really like. They are a great fit for my feet, and for a boot, not too heavy at all. Bottom line--I love them! My question is, how many pairs am I going to need to get from Springer to Big K? I've been reading lots of trail journals and trip reports and people are talking about how they've gone through 2-4 pairs of footwear on their thru-hike.

I would imagine that trail-runners wear out much quicker, but how long do boots last, typically? I can't imagine that one pair would get me all the way, but it's something that I'm curious about. Also, has anyone out there done the trail in Oboz, specifically?

Thanks!

10-K
06-20-2012, 05:41
Trail runners and a good set of trekking poles would be my recommendation.

They say a thru is about 5 million steps. Imagine the difference between picking up the weight of a boot 5 million times vs the weight of a trail runner.

You can use the trekking poles to provide stability for your ankles.

Monkeywrench
06-20-2012, 06:31
I'm in the early stages of planning for a NOBO thru in either 2014 or 2015 (it all depends on the economy and finances!) and I have a question about footwear. I've read all the other forums about the trail-runners vs. boots vs. whatever else, so I don't want to go down that path. But here's the thing. Over 20 years ago, I had an achilles injury that never quite healed exactly right (I still can't really stand on my tip-toes for more than a second or two), so for anything more than a fairly-level day hike, I have to wear over-the-ankle boots. I need the support.

After doing my due-diligence, several months ago I bought a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II boots, which I really like. They are a great fit for my feet, and for a boot, not too heavy at all. Bottom line--I love them! My question is, how many pairs am I going to need to get from Springer to Big K? I've been reading lots of trail journals and trip reports and people are talking about how they've gone through 2-4 pairs of footwear on their thru-hike.

I would imagine that trail-runners wear out much quicker, but how long do boots last, typically? I can't imagine that one pair would get me all the way, but it's something that I'm curious about. Also, has anyone out there done the trail in Oboz, specifically?

Thanks!

It's hard to say how long any particular brand & model of boot will last without having actually worn then for a prolonged hike. On my thru-hike I wore Lowa Renegade GTX Mid boots (the only boots I could find available in a 15 narrow), and each pair lasted about 800 miles; so I used 3 pair to complete my hike.

I was a bit surprised how quickly they wore out, but thinking about it afterwards it made a bit more sense to me. Since I wore them day after day they never got a chance to thoroughly dry out after being wet, muddy, gritty, etc., which I am sure caused them to wear in far fewer miles than they would if used for sporadic day and weekend hikes.

leaftye
06-20-2012, 07:12
The Oboz Yellowstone II has a dual density EVA midsole.

The midsole is key to determining the life of your hiking footwear.

A typical EVA midsole lasts 300-500 miles. At that point the cushioning ability is seriously reduced. It might be misshapen or even broken. You might get lucky because you're lighter, or your shoe has an especially thick midsole.

A typical PU (polyurethane) midsole typically lasts until the tread or other parts of the footwear wears out.

Now you have a dual density EVA midsole, so that probably falls somewhere in between. Maybe 500-800.

No matter what the rule of thumb is, your feet will tell you when it's time to find new shoes. Don't push through foot pain. If you go 150 miles and your feet are sore, go ahead and replace your shoes. If you go 800 miles and your feet feel great and your shoes look brand new, keep wearing your 800 mile shoes.

TrekkerJeff
06-20-2012, 07:22
We had a few trail friends switch to the Oboz trail shoes/boots last year on the AT with good results. All in all we seemed to get around 500 miles or so on our trail runners.

10-K
06-20-2012, 07:31
Also if my trail runners are still in good condition I will add a pair of super feet when the midsole is gone.

peakbagger
06-20-2012, 07:48
At least two pairs as once you hit northern PA, the rocks start appearing which tend to really tear up the boots and it you make it to the whites with one pair, the whites will tear them up for sure. If you have seen reference to Limmer boots, one of their tricks is to cut the boot sole so that it hangs out past the sides of the boots, this cuts way down on the wear on the leather sides of the boots. Most injection moulded boots have the sole right in line with the sides of the boots or even inset a bit, thius means that the rands and the leathers sides of the boots get exposed to a lot more wear.

If the boots have replaceable inserts they may wear out before the boots are. Rarely do boots wear out, usually the one weak spot in the design wear out and makes tham unusable.

BFI
06-20-2012, 08:19
Kind of depends on if you have severe pronation or supination and your body weight. I pronate and weigh 250Lbs, I used the Oboz Sawtooth Mid boot and got about 600 miles out them. The toe pieces scuffed off and the tread was about 70% worn. I also used a pair of super feet insoles, (High Arches) in them. I found that on really sharp broken rocks the boots had too soft of sole for my weight. I will still use Oboz but pick my way through rocky patches. I had zero blisters from them. Ditto on what LEFTYE says.....

turtle fast
06-20-2012, 09:44
Another ditto for Lefteye...3 pairs should suffice, just remember to break them in before you go. A risk though is that the boots are all the same and if you find that the boot really does not work for you after a few miles of trail, that you are stuck with 2 other pairs of them. Another reminder to break the boots in before you go! I had seen way to many new boots at Springer Mountain out of the box and many hikers had foot problems with that...I personally saw hikers have to quit due to feet that was hamburger. I also like others here STRONGLY suggest using hiking poles. They take some of the impact off your feet and give you more support...can be used to ward off dogs and ninjas, used as a tent pole, cloths line, litter picker upper, stick flinger off the trail, etc.

Grampie
06-20-2012, 10:07
A good quality leather boot can get you thru your hike with the proper maintanance. Don't go with a gortex lined boot. Once wet they take for ever to dry, and believe me gortex boots will not keep your feet dry. Keep a eye on the inner soles. When they start to break down, replace them. Keep the outside treated with some sort of boot waterproofing.
I did my thry using one pair of boots. I started my thru with a pair of Montrail, AT Hikers. I probably had 200-300 miles on them when I started. I had them resoled after PA and they lasted for my whole hike. I changed out the inner soles three times.
These were US maid boots and that was 12 years ago. I think today it would be hard to do, considering what's for sail now. I now hike with a pair of LL Bean boots that are wearing well.

Double Wide
06-20-2012, 19:37
Thx for the info guys! I appreciate it. Of course trekking poles are going to be used--I have a great pair of Black Diamond cork ergos that I love. Still really can't use trail runners, so I'll go with the Oboz. Also, have any of you thru-hikers found that your foot got a half-size bigger at some point in your hike? Seems to be a re-occurring theme on Trail Journals.

leaftye
06-20-2012, 20:08
Thx for the info guys! I appreciate it. Of course trekking poles are going to be used--I have a great pair of Black Diamond cork ergos that I love. Still really can't use trail runners, so I'll go with the Oboz. Also, have any of you thru-hikers found that your foot got a half-size bigger at some point in your hike? Seems to be a re-occurring theme on Trail Journals.
It's not necessarily that feet get bigger. They do get wider because all that walking forces the feet back to their natural shape instead of the compressed shape most of us force them into with our tight daily shoes. They also get thicker because the muscles of the feet get stronger (bigger) and they also get swollen from being on your feet all day. The factors could be addressed by getting wider and larger volume shoes, respectively, but it's usually easier to get bigger shoes.

Velvet Gooch
06-20-2012, 22:08
What you need: http://www.alicosport.it/paginaguide.htm

I've put many thousands of miles on a couple of pairs of Alico Guide boots. Note that these are not the "New Guide" version; I've no experience with those.

My oldest pair has been resoled three times. Yeah, they're heavy and take what seems like forever to break in. I seriously doubt you'd wear out a pair on a thru.

q-tip
06-21-2012, 06:55
I have been on the footwear path for years. Ankle support has been the most difficult. I have gone from Asolo leather to my current:

Montrail AT Plus Trail Runner

Futuro Ankle Brace :

http://www.futuro-usa.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Futuro/Global/Products/Product-Catalog/%7E/Custom-Fit-Ankle-Stabilizer?N=5158384&rt=rud

BarFight
06-21-2012, 11:44
It's hard to say with regular hiking boots. I wore men's Keens (btw, I'm a woman) that I bought in Neel's Gap and replaced them in Vermont when the soles were completely gone. The guys who wore the same boot couldn't believe I'd gotten that much mileage out of them-they seemed to replace them every 700 miles. Personally I think the rocks in PA are overrated, some people are just much harder on their footwear in general.