PDA

View Full Version : Training advise

Gary62
06-20-2012, 09:50
I have been training for a hike this July. I find myself having sciatica as a result of backpack walking. Carrying about 26 pounds. I'm thinking I need to strengthen my lower back muscles. Are there any hikers out there that have trained there way through the pain?
Being 62, I'm looking for an age appropriate program.
Any thoughts on the matter?
Thanks,
Gary (no trail handle yet)

Alligator
06-20-2012, 10:02
Some more information from you would be helpful. Do you have issues with your back (besides the sciatica)? Does your pack fit comfortably, you might have a poorly fitting pack? Could be a weight distribution problem as well, heavy items in the wrong places.

I had sciatica problems associated with a herniated disc several years ago.

Maddog
06-20-2012, 10:12
You may want to consider training your abdominals. Sometimes, weak abs will cause the lower back to over-compensate. Good luck! :)

Gary62
06-20-2012, 10:21
Hello Alligator,
I had my pack fitted at Gander Mountian. I have a couple of bad discs that cause sciatica. I am trying to out
muscle them with exercise.

Pedaling Fool
06-20-2012, 10:49
http://www.livestrong.com/sciatica-treatment/

stranger
06-20-2012, 18:53
I have some light back issues (I'm 37, I'm sure it will get worse)...I find I feel best while hiking with a pack, probably cause the pack fits tight into the lumbar and the belt keeps everything snug...and the obvious benefit of the pack heating up the back as well.

When I stop I sometimes get some pain, I see an Osteopath and spend a decent amount of time stretching. Also, have tried to stop sleeping on my stomach, another huge cause of back pain.

BFI
06-20-2012, 19:02
I’m 62 and have had lower back pain I went to a physiotherapist to get the right exercises to relieve my back pain. Most of them were to strengthen my abs . Maybe consult a chiropractor as well .

q-tip
06-20-2012, 20:28
Take a look at the book "Climbing: Training for Peak Performance" by Clyde Soles. It is the best program I have found for training fro hiking and Alpine climbing.

wnderer
06-20-2012, 20:36
I get sciatica from sitting in front of a computer too much, not from hiking. I get rid it by doing pseudo Tai Chi. I have the book Step by Step Tai Chi by Master Lam Kam Chuen. I don't really do the Tai Chi. The book has these stretching exercises you do to get in shape to be able to do Tai Chi. I do those.

Also my unscientific advice would be to never to try to get in shape for hiking by walking on streets and sidewalks with a backpack. I got plantar fasciitis doing that. I find hiking trails are really different to walk on then streets and sidewalks. But maybe that is just me.

moldy
06-20-2012, 20:37
This July. Get on the couch and stay there until its time to go.

10-K
06-20-2012, 20:37
Start with 10 lbs and work up.

heavyfoot
06-20-2012, 20:44
I'd consult a physical therapist ASAP.

Hairbear
06-20-2012, 20:45
I have been training for a hike this July. I find myself having sciatica as a result of backpack walking. Carrying about 26 pounds. I'm thinking I need to strengthen my lower back muscles. Are there any hikers out there that have trained there way through the pain?
Being 62, I'm looking for an age appropriate program.
Any thoughts on the matter?
Thanks,
Gary (no trail handle yet)

i have the same problem some times .strengthen abs for stabalization,stretch hamstrings slowly at first ,and believe it or not walk barefoot.it has made my tired legs very strong and flexible with no pain in my knees or back.

Alligator
06-20-2012, 20:47
I too used to get sciatica from sitting. There is a link within the link John Gault posted about stretching the piriformis. I had a microdiscectomy and have done well since. I still do a stretch though for the piriformis, which can affect the sciatic nerve. It's done by laying on the floor on your back. Lift one leg so that the knee is bent at 90 degrees and the thigh is perpendicular to the floor. Place the ankle of the other leg onto that knee. Hold the back of the first leg's thigh with both hands.

rocketsocks
06-20-2012, 21:14
Here's one that has helped my lower back and sciattica as well.
lying on the floor,draw your right knee knee to 90 degrees or perpendicular to the floor
then bend that same leg(twisting at the hip)towards the floor across the other straight leg,keep the shoulders as tight to the floor as possible.you should hear some poping from this one.
then switch and do the same to the other leg.good luck!