PDA

View Full Version : rockfish gap to swift run gap

iwhitley
06-20-2012, 17:31
We are thinking about doing Rockfish Gapl to Swift Run Gap around the first of July. I have a couple of questions for anyone who is in the area or just been through the area. How was the water supply? That is my only real concern. Is it possible to stash water along the intersections of the AT and the Skyland Drive? Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

Ivan

johnnybgood
06-20-2012, 17:56
I am doing the same section in three weeks Ivan so here's to more rain until then.

To answer your first question concerning water conditions: water was flowing well at all the springs and streams 3 weeks ago. The mercury has climbed since then and the rain has been sporadic so I'd suggest preparing to carry 3 liters out of Rockfish Gap.

While you can stash water inside the park at trails that intersect with the AT, as I've seen done at Turks Gap a few weeks ago. I'm thinking that the park would shun the idea of placing water jugs in plain sight near the Skyline Drive.

There are alternative water sources in spigots at Dundo Picnic Grounds , and also at Loft Mountain Campground.

Have a good hike.

iwhitley
06-20-2012, 18:00
Not really thinking about stashing in plain sight but off the trail and marking with a GPS.

Deer Hunter
06-20-2012, 18:05
I have stashed water just off the trail in gallon jugs before and picked up the empty jugs on my way out.

canoe
06-20-2012, 19:03
i am starting on the 8-9th of July. Please post about water conditions