PDA

View Full Version : Gear List for critique

fredthoreau
06-20-2012, 18:19
Hey everyone,
I'm planning a SOBO hike starting early July and have my first gear list done and ready to be criticized and torn apart! The comments on other folks' gear lists have been incredibly helpful. Thanks in advance for any advice/comments. I'm not real impressed with my base weight. I was hoping to be closer to 15 lbs. I know that I can cut back on ounces a few specific ways such as taking less rope, cutting up the guide book, not taking a camera, etc. but wanted to get some feedback from folks with more experience prior to getting out the chainsaw. Also wanted to make sure that I wasn't forgetting anything.

Clothing 65.1 oz
REI Sahara Short Sleeve Shirt 6.5 oz
REI Sahara Long Sleeve Shirt 5.5 oz
Columbia silver ridge cargo shorts 8oz
2 pairs REI hiking socks 5 oz
(I might anti up for 3 pair based on reading other gear lists and comments)
2 pairs of ExOfficio GiveNGo Boxer Briefs 6 oz
Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants 20 oz
Outdoor Research Rain Coat 14.1 oz
Bandana 1 oz
Crocs- 16 oz

Cooking 13.95 oz
Jetboil stove 11.75 oz
Smith Wesson Extreme OP single blade 1.6 oz
SnowPeak Spork .6 oz

Water 6.6 oz
AquaMira 3 oz
2 Platypus 2L bags 2.6 oz
1-2 gatorade bottles 1-2 oz

Sleep/Pack 132.6 oz
GoLite Adrenaline 1 season 40 degree bag 21 oz
Thermarest Z rest pad 14oz
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 tent with footprint 39 oz
REI Flash 65 Pack 51 oz
REI Duck Back Pack Cover- 7.6 oz

Other 37.5 oz
Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekkin Poles 18 oz
(didn't count in total weight since I'll be carrying in hands)
Sawyer Jungle Juice 100% DEET 2oz
iPhone in otter box with charger 8oz
AWOL thru hiker companion 9oz
black diamond headlamp 3oz
50 ft 3mm cord- 3.5 oz
Canon powerShot SX210 digitar camera with extra battery in a soft case 12 oz

*winter gear to send from home when needed: 76.8
North Face Chrysalis 15 degree bag 48 oz
Patagonia Down Hoody 9.3 oz
Patagonia long underwear pants 6.5 oz
Patagonia long underwear top 8oz
Carhartt A202 hat with balaclava 2oz
Manzella Chinook Windstopper gloves 3oz

Stuff Sacks 9.6 oz
60L REI stuff sack 4.1 oz
3 REI stuff sacks (S,M,L) 2.6 oz
Waterproof 13L stuff sack 2.9 oz

Other things I still need: (not factored into weight)
I'm still working out my first aid kit
hand sanitizer
TP or biodegradable wipes
duct tape
toothbrush with toothpaste
floss
earplugs
journal with pen
sharpie

Considering:
a second bandana
zipper thermometer
green super feet insoles
watch
lighter

TOTAL Base Weight summer: 17lbs 6oz
TOTAL Base Weight winter: 20lbs 1 oz

I'll be hiking in Moab Venilators... I didn't count their weight in base weight. But I guess I shouldn't count the shirt, shorts and a pair of underwear for the same reason. Summer base weight would be 16lbs 2 oz or something with the clothes on my back excluded.

Also am not sure if I should take the Patagonia down hoody for summer use too for the colder nights. I plan on starting July 1 or 4 and hope to be done by Thanksgiving.
Thanks again!

Connie
06-21-2012, 14:12
Nothing wrong with this list, here are some small differences that add up:

I have one nylon fisherman vented shirt that washes and dries quickly, with button and tabs to hold the sleeves rolled up loosely, one half-zip top (first layer) or tank top. I have the Icebreaker 200 half-zip top (first layer) for colder weather.

My pants are loose fit Pearl Izumi Tokyo Tights bicycle tights with elastic at the ankles to help keep out ticks. They are warm and cool. Odd. Must be special fabric.

Not crocs, I use lightweight thick rubber soled Speedo water shoes in camp, in mud, and for frequent water crossings. Other brands are also quite good, maybe better.

I have never used a bandana. I have never understood the desireability of a bandana. Hiker to Town Hiker to Trail could be a really useful bandana.

Instead, I use a net bag for vegetables cut small for a scrubbie. I have long titanium handles for my Vargo 750 Sierra cookware. I have never had them get too hot, but silicone sugru (http://sugru.com/us/about) improves hot handles.

I use a zelph StarLyte or Super Stove. He also has a new larger StarLyte with a snap on lid to carry the fuel inside the larger StarLyte. Have two or three.

zelph also has a windscreen stove set including the new larger StarLyte stove and lid, 1-cup plus Ridgeline and 2-cup plus flat Ridgeline. I am interested. I love his Ridgeline's. I also like his mini FanceeFeest stove with his 1-cup plus Ridgeline.

I presently use a titanium windscreen much like that sold by Suluk46. It works so nicely with my Vargo Titanium 750 Sierra cookware I love. It works great for more types of cooking and is sized just right for one, as far as I am concerned. I use it with my Guyot Designs MicroBites spatula (only) and Snow Peak Short Spork.

My hat is REI LED Trail Cap. No headlamp. LEDs in hat brim.

No notepad and pen, I use iPod Touch/Apple Notepad app. You have the iPhone.

The iPhone has watch apps. Pick one. Pick two.

I carry the Kensington Mini Battery Pack and Charger.

Odorproof OPSak food bag and OPSak garbage bag, Sea-To-Summit eVac Dry Sack, Zpacks cuben fiber stuff sacks and cuben pack cover.

I prefer the Sawyer Squeeze.

Sleeping bag, tent v tarp and bivy are strong personal preferences. I save weight there, with 900-fill down half bag with puffy hoodie or 900-fill sleeping quilt, either one with NeoAir Small, Oware AsymTarp 1 and Titanium Goat Bug Bivy. Then I don't need a 65 liter pack.

If really cold, I use the Exped DownMat XS.

My legs and feet rest on my pack.

Sanyo Xacti VPC CG20 FullHD videocam and still photo.

MLD type no-see-um bug net worn with baseball hat.

I think an Otter box is overkill. I have a thin plastic cover and use a screen protector if you think you need it. The screen is scratched by plastic zippers, surprisingly. I don't use a screen protector. I am careful. I put my eyeglasses and iPod Touch in a pocket sewn into the tarp, much like pockets seen sewn in tents for small stuff. While hiking, an inside shirt pocket.

30' bear bag 1.5 mm Z-line spectra cord from ZPacks.

10-K
06-21-2012, 14:46
Looks good to me. Bonus points for remembering the floss...

Keep in mind that no matter what kind of list you post you'll get suggested changes because everyone does things differently and has different opinions.

Llama Legs
06-21-2012, 15:10
I follow the rule for clothing that if you can't put it all on at the same time, you have too much (socks excluded).

Add to first aid kit (available anywhere):

http://www.drugstore.com/dentemp-maximum-strength-temporary-filling-mix/qxp15415

Odd Man Out
06-21-2012, 15:43
No hat in your summer list, unless you are counting a bandana. I must always have a hat with wide brim.

fredthoreau
06-22-2012, 00:18
I've been debating whether or not to take a hat. I never ever wear a hat, but maybe now's the time to start.

Feral Bill
06-22-2012, 01:28
You are likely to need the warmer bag sooner than you think. At the latest, in The Whites. I'd start with it.

fredthoreau
06-22-2012, 12:18
I wasn't sure whether to start with the 40 degree bag or the 15 degree bag to begin with... so you think the 15 degree bag would be best up through the whites? And then I presume I'd need it again in the fall in the south.

hikehunter
06-23-2012, 01:48
Some type of hat is a must....and I always fill my water bottles before i put it on a scale. Water Is the first item on my packing list. I cand live without a great many things....Just not the water.....I do not do the "base weight" deal. I pack my pack with what I will carry on day one and then I add 2lbs. and train with that.

Twang
06-23-2012, 21:24
You probably have good reason for your choices, but your raincoat and pack rain cover seem on the heavier side.

10-K
06-23-2012, 21:59
I dunno.... you should be in NY by the end of August and that quilt is plenty warm enough for hiking up until mid-September at least.

I've got that same quilt and the temp rating is on the conservative side. If you're going to be in a tent and have a good pad you could start with the quilt no problem.

1azarus
06-24-2012, 10:31
Since you are taking aqua mira it isn't that big a pain to treat water so I would just take one 2 liter platy and 1gatorade bottle.that saves a couple of ounces and if you bring more carrying capacity you'll be tempted to use it! You might consider taking a tiny screw top bottle so you can mix the aqua mira and walk with it. I keep the aqua mira in my pocket so it is easy to grab water on the go. Keep the mix cap too so if you want to fill both containers at the same time you can, say when you reach camp.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Double Wide
06-24-2012, 21:33
I don't have near the experience as these folks do who've already responded, but I've been browsing the gear reviews on Trail Journals and have seen several bad reviews for the REI socks. A couple of thru-hikers (damn I wish I could remember which ones) have said that they didn't last at all and switched out to Smartwool.

Bucho
06-24-2012, 23:36
Patagonia Alpine Guide Pants 20 oz
Columbia silver ridge cargo shorts 8oz
There are convertable pants/shorts that weigh a few oz lighter than those pants, if you did that you could leave the shorts at home

Outdoor Research Rain Coat 14.1 oz
You could get a rain coat that weighs less than half that

Jetboil stove 11.75 oz
You could save a few oz here.

AquaMira 3 oz
I don't know if you plan to go with the popular carry chemicals and not actually use them plan but if you don't, if you plan on frequently treating your water you may want to calculate how much that will cost.

green super feet insoles
As someone who got plantar fasciitis on the AT I wish I'd had insoles.

I was nobo last year so I can't comment on what you'll need for clothing or a sleeping bag but there are a couple of things you could do to save weight. Good luck and have fun.