PDA

View Full Version : DryBath - shower without water.

Rain Man
06-20-2012, 19:18
"South African innovator takes water out of showering"

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/s-african-innovator-takes-water-out-of-showering

"With inspiration from a friend [I wonder if it was an AT hiker!] too lazy to take a shower and a few months of research on the Internet, South African university student Ludwick Marishane has won global recognition for an invention that takes the water out of bathing. ...

"The product differs from the anti-bacterial hand washes by eliminating the heavy alcohol smell. It creates an odourless, biodegradable cleansing film with moisturisers. ...

"The product is now manufactured commercially with clients including major global airlines for use on long-haul flights and governments for its soldiers in the field. ..."

I'd have to try it to believe it. I might still miss the feel of water rinsing all that grime away.

Rain:sunMan

WIAPilot
06-20-2012, 19:24
The only problem I see is that apparently it has fragrance, which can attract Mosquitos.

Spokes
06-20-2012, 19:26
The jist of the article implies he created the stuff to help his "communities".

Wonder what the cost/benefit analysis says. Bet it costs way more than water. I would ask- "How can people in impoverished areas afford it?".

Great idea though.

WIAPilot
06-20-2012, 19:32
Spokes-Apparently from website, he sells to corporations and earns a nice profit. He then donates a portion of goods to areas in need.

Spokes
06-20-2012, 19:51
Now that's a good way to give back.

bfayer
06-20-2012, 21:30
What is the difference between this and the no rinse body wash that is used by NASA?

http://www.norinse.com/no-rinse-products/body-care/item/no-rinse-body-wash.html

Spokes
06-20-2012, 22:07
Prolly, it's made in Africa under a different name?

scree
06-20-2012, 23:52
What is the difference between this and the no rinse body wash that is used by NASA?

http://www.norinse.com/no-rinse-products/body-care/item/no-rinse-body-wash.html

I've used that stuff on a few occasions and the best thing I can say is that after a week of using only it, you'll really want to take a shower. It kinda works but also gets uniquely nasty.

More directly, norinse is a liquid and therefore heavy to lug around. Since this stuff is called "drybath" I'd have to assume it's not a liquid, which could make it interesting.

rocketsocks
06-21-2012, 00:26
Very interesting Rain:sunMan ,but I don't think it could ever replace a beating shower on those sore knotty shoulders.I'm sure at some point I'll be given it a try though.good find!

bfayer
06-21-2012, 05:59
I've used that stuff on a few occasions and the best thing I can say is that after a week of using only it, you'll really want to take a shower. It kinda works but also gets uniquely nasty.

More directly, norinse is a liquid and therefore heavy to lug around. Since this stuff is called "drybath" I'd have to assume it's not a liquid, which could make it interesting.

I says it's a gel, and I have not found any gels that weigh significantly less than liquids for the same volume. Maybe you need to use significantly less? Other than liquid vs gel I guess I don't see this as new. The no rinse is wipe on/wipe off, and the dirt comes off with the wipe off. How does the dirt come off with this? Or is this just a product that tries to kill all the critters that cause the stink?

Don't get me wrong, I think innovation is a wonderful thing, I am just trying to see what differentiates this from other products.

verasch
06-21-2012, 07:08
" with clients including major global airlines for use on long-haul flights"

Wait. How do they get this past TSA?